Can the Bills Beat the Pats w/o CJ and FredEx

The biggest playmakers on our offense are arguably CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson. It sucks they both play the same position and won't usually be on the field at the same time. It really sucks that both are hurt for the biggest game of the season so far.

Do the Bills have enough talent remaining on the offense to keep up with the Brady led Patriots?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest playmakers on our offense are arguably CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson. It sucks they both play the same position and won't usually be on the field at the same time. It really sucks that both are hurt for the biggest game of the season so far.

Do the Bills have enough talent remaining on the offense to keep up with the Brady led Patriots?

Hopefully that's a moot question. We will know more tomorrow.

I don't think we need the home run plays out of the running game to be able to succeed against the Pats*. Choice/White had a combined 22 carries for 106 yards (4.8ypc). That is good enough for the offense to be able to sustain drives. I was happy to see that Chan didn't avoid the running game after Spiller went down. The O-Line has been excellent, and should be allowed to continue beating up on defenses.

I have been thinking about it since he went down. Weigh it out with me...

FJ is an aging back with low mileage (supposedly) but he was injured last year and we need him fully healthy.

FJ healthy in December is more important then FJ 50% next week.

CJ resting next week with what we know does not make sense. He is young and will hopefully be part of our future. Let us make sure he is ready to come back before hurting him up too much.

Choice can get some yards against the poor Pats D, although not as dynamic.

For those who want one or the other I disagree. If we can have them both on the field at the same time we should. Why would you want to keep one of your biggest weapons off the field? A double wishbone with Cmac in the backfield and Fitz, too. I have been saying it all along, we can really do some good things on offense with schemes and I expect the book to be thrown at the Patriots.

So, can we win w/o either? Yes. Will either play, I hope not. Will we win? Yes. Will either play, I expect one to be suited, likely FJ.

Choice and White did combine for over 100 yards and looked good doing it. But they don't have the ability to break the back of the opponent's defense the way CJ and Freddy do.

Gailey's offense has been at least partially dependent on big plays. We haven't been consistent enough (yet) to score a lot of points on long -grind-it-out drives.

I would say no chance without at least one of these guys. Sad to say, but I think we are screwed. :cry:

I think we need one of them, but choice still ran for 90 yards today. I think we need our oline healthy more than we need spiller/jackson. I wouldn't count us out if they are both out, but chances are we are really going to need one of them

FJ is an aging back with low mileage (supposedly) but he was injured last year and we need him fully healthy.

CJ resting next week with what we know does not make sense. He is young and will hopefully be part of our future. Let us make sure he is ready to come back before hurting him up too much.

For those who want one or the other I disagree. If we can have them both on the field at the same time we should. Why would you want to keep one of your biggest weapons off the field? A double wishbone with Cmac in the backfield and Fitz, too. I have been saying it all along, we can really do some good things on offense with schemes and I expect the book to be thrown at the Patriots.

So, can we win w/o either? Yes. Will either play, I hope not. Will we win? Yes. Will either play, I expect one to be suited, likely FJ.

Division games are very important. If he can play, he should be out there

I think we need one of them, but choice still ran for 90 yards today. I think we need our oline healthy more than we need spiller/jackson. I wouldn't count us out if they are both out, but chances are we are really going to need one of them

I think spiller might have had 200 net yards today. I just wonder if we can score without FJ or CJ? These guys seem to punch it in for 20 plus yards on the ground or through the air. I think we may start to have troubles getting in the endzone with choice.

Man, I hope i am wrong.

Division games are very important. If he can play, he should be out there

If the Pats win tonight then we need to play them. If the Pats lose we need to rest at least one

The Pats losing tonight would mean the division is still up for grabs easier then the Patriots returning to form - like it already looks. We need to be ready to compete for the 2nd spot. I do not want to be anything but optimistic but we have a lot of work to do before we play as champs.

If the Pats win tonight then we need to play them. If the Pats lose we need to rest at least one

The Pats losing tonight would mean the division is still up for grabs easier then the Patriots returning to form - like it already looks. We need to be ready to compete for the 2nd spot. I do not want to be anything but optimistic but we have a lot of work to do before we play as champs.

It shouldnt matter at all what happens in this game. If Fred can play with relatively little risk of further injury he should play. If there is a decent chance that it will linger longer if he plays versus sitting out an extra week he shouldn't. There are 12 weeks to go.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I agree, would rather see them sit out and be 100% than having him keep playing while somewhat nicked up.

Of course they can still win, but the margin for error goes from slim to none. Fitz and/or the D needs to play a near perfect game. I understand Choice was fine today, but the difference between a 'good' run that sets up a 1st&goal and a 15yd TD run can be the difference between 3 and 7 points, or the difference between winning and losing.

Watching the game tonight the Pats are just chewing up the Ravens D. If I had to guess I'd say the Bills are going to have to put up 28+ points next week to have a chance at winning. That's going to be a tall order without Jackson or Spiller.

I think Bills would hv trouble beating Pats with Fred and Spiller so obviously even moreso without either

Pass defense is still a major issue and with way Brady is picking Ravens apart I can't see it improving next week

Bills need to run the ball n pressure Brady to hv any chance

Edited by Max997

Based on what I've seen the first three weeks of the season, I'd say no, we have little chance. I say this because I feel we don't have a SINGLE CB who is starting caliber in the NFL. Brady will be licking his chops unless the Stache can miraculously bring that sorry bunch up to speed in a week. I just don't see it though.

GO BILLS!!!

No. Which is why I am paying very close attention to Fred Jackson's injury report. I simply don't see Choice making himself a big enough threat to make the Patriots to do anything besides blitz the crap out of Fitz.

If we get Fred back, it opens up more opportunities. We've spent a lot of time with ways to run effectively, and if Freddy is 85%, our offense can do something. Whether or not the D can stop Brady is another matter entirely.

Granted our cbs are not great, but I think saying that not a single one is starting caliber is a huge exaggeration,

Probably. But such is life in my doghouse. I am seeing confusion, poor technique, and a general lack of nuance at the position. When Justin Rogers impresses me the most, I think we are in trouble at the position and we are yet to see a good QB this season. That will change when Brady comes to town next Sunday.

I'm hoping they make a liar out of me.

GO BILLS!!!

maybe

They can if they believe they can

It's all about our D. If they let the Pats score on every possession as the Jets did, I don't think we can keep up with them.

If they play tough and rattle Brady and get some 3 and outs, we have a chance. We need pressure, heavy pressure up front. We don't have the hosses to shut down Welker, Branch, Ellison, and Gronkowski all at once.

I only hope the Bills fans show as game as the Ravens did...I'm convinced the prolonged and loud chants of Bull Sh*t Bull Sh*t helped fire up a tiring Ravens D and get them the ball back. What a 12th man.