Did anyone watch the Az-NE game?

I was busy enjoying Buffalo curb stomp KC. For those who watched, what did Arizona do to completely throw NE off of their game? Not many teams can keep NE to 12 points for 57 minutes. Clearly Arizona saw something in NE's game tape and took advantage of it.

If Chan can key in on that same thing, 3-1 doesn't seem so unrealistic any longer.

New England's offensive line showed itself to be be the weakness of the Patriots. Just a brutal game. Brady sacked 3 times and got hurried alot. Didn't help that Aaron Hernandez left the game early with a high ankle sprain.

Gronkowski called for holding on what would have been the winning TD.

New England's offensive line showed itself to be be the weakness of the Patriots. Just a brutal game. Brady sacked 3 times and got hurried alot. Didn't help that Aaron Hernandez left the game early with a high ankle sprain.

Who says the replacement refs are bad? Kraft hasn't bought them out yet, so the Patriots start to fall back to earth.

Im starting to like the scabs. They seem to call flags more evenly and not give better teams the benefit of the doubt.

Why did Simmons tweet this after the game?:

Bill Simmons@sportsguy33

I think that may have been the single dumbest minute of the Belichick era. Can't even fathom the logic there.

The Patriots had 1st down on the 17 with 40 plus seconds left and Belichick had Brady take a knee.

Edited by Golden Wheels

The Patriots had 1st down on the 17 with 40 plus seconds left and Belichick had Brady take a knee.

remember they got called for a false start which kicked them back another 5 yrds before Brady took a knee then spiked it

I still cant believe the RB for Arizona (lucky dude)fumbled the ball when all he had to do is go down, but instead on 3 and long he tries to juke with one hand holding the ball, SHOWTIME BABY, dumbass just need to hold on tight and fall down. I thought only the Pats would be so lucky and then SHANK. What a good day of football so far, now the JEST need a loss and the Dolphins MEH....

I watched the last two minutes, and wanted to choke that Arizona back, and why do you call a pitch-out on the play to begin with? Anyhow, p[oetic justice when he shanked it .... a good day for the Bills, would get better if the Steelers would wake up.

Signed,

Leodis mckelvin.

PTR

Could this be redemption day for Leodis? Punt return for TD, someone pulls a more boneheaded move than him, and Pats* don't capitalize. Maybe the stars are aligning finally?

Could this be redemption day for Leodis? Punt return for TD, someone pulls a more boneheaded move than him, and Pats* don't capitalize. Maybe the stars are aligning finally?

When I saw the Pats* down by 11, I had a hunch they were going to win because they did it against the Bills. Then AZ fumbles the ball like they were following a script. So so so happy they blew it.

PTR

Here's hoping that Wanny is looking at that game tape now. Also that Hernandez is out in two weeks.

This was an unreal ending. Classic Patriots* lucky fumble recovery and in FG range for the improbable comeback 21-20 win.

I don't think they realized the possibility of a missed FG at the end, since they've never experienced such bad luck. Loved it.

Ha, the hoody loses in his backyard. Awesome!

This was an unreal ending. Classic Patriots* lucky fumble recovery and in FG range for the improbable comeback 21-20 win.

I don't think they realized the possibility of a missed FG at the end, since they've never experienced such bad luck. Loved it.

Yah it had Loleodis fumble game written all over it. I actually bet a friend $100 they'd win down 14 because I was so sure they'd eek out somehow (if that's what it takes to jinx them so be it). Never been less surprised about an apparent game-losing fumble. Never been more surprised by a missed FG. Was anyone else looking for a flag when he missed?

Edited by BuffOrange

Why did Simmons tweet this after the game?:

Bill Simmons@sportsguy33

I think that may have been the single dumbest minute of the Belichick era. Can't even fathom the logic there.

Ultimately, I bet the numbers bear out that BB played the situation right, even if the result gave sports writers material to whine about. Heaven forbid Simmons looks into the stats on situations like that before calling what (I begrudgingly admit) is one of the smartest coaches in the league dumb.

It was great to see though! I won't deny that!

Yah it had Loleodis fumble game written all over it. I actually bet a friend $100 they'd win down 14 because I was so sure they'd eek out somehow (if that's what it takes to jinx them so be it). Never been less surprised about an apparent game-losing fumble. Never been more surprised by a missed FG. Was anyone else looking for a flag when he missed?

Couldn't agree with you more. Would have bet more than $100 on that.

I actually thought that Arizona may have called a timeout right before the missed kick--thankfully they were out of timeouts.

Ultimately, I bet the numbers bear out that BB played the situation right, even if the result gave sports writers material to whine about. Heaven forbid Simmons looks into the stats on situations like that before calling what (I begrudgingly admit) is one of the smartest coaches in the league dumb.

It was great to see though! I won't deny that!

Not a chance. There are no numbers that would justify that horrible decision.

I think you're right. Field goals are hit exponentially more often as you get closer, whereas fumbles occur at roughly the same 2% clip no matter where you are on the field. From the nebulous 40 yard range, trying to gain an extra 5-10 yards is a no brainer.

The Cardinals watched the NYG/NE Super Bowl games for the blueprint.

Persistent pressure and aggressive corners. The Cardinals had four sacks and Brady had rare times where he could sit in the pocket and take the shots we're accustomed to seeing. The Patriots offensive line is neither experienced nor talented enough anymore to fully insulate Tom Brady.

The Patriots playcalling, especially on offense was also very bizarre in this game.

to run the clock and kick what should be an easy FG? Gostkowski is a well over 80% kicker. At home he was 6/6 in that range last year (and 3/3 in the 30-40 range).

you run more plays and you risk turnover, penalty (a hold or sack knocks them to 50+), clock running out with no timeouts. id guess numbers wise, if he thinks his kicker is 90% from that spot, it is a far more reasonable play to make than bill simmons gives credit for. remember, the standard im arguing against there is dumbest call of the BB era, not the perfectly optimized call for the situation (which despite hindsight, it may be even be).

I think you're right. Field goals are hit exponentially more often as you get closer, whereas fumbles occur at roughly the same 2% clip no matter where you are on the field. From the nebulous 40 yard range, trying to gain an extra 5-10 yards is a no brainer.

its not just fumbles - it could be a penalty too, for example, or a loss of yards.

does the chance to get 5 yards (and the corresponding increase in FG percentage) outweigh the risk of losing 3 on a stuffed run? of losing 10 on a hold? of a sack if you pass? a fumble?

if theres a 2% chance of fumble (not counting those other more common outcomes), does the shot at getting 5 yards really increase your odds of the kick going in by enough to outweigh it?

perhaps, but im guessing its not by a wide margin.

Edited by NoSaint