What the film review shows from last night...not your delusional analy

This. Don't worry though, it'll all be fixed when the Bills finally start trying.

What is it that they say? The first step in dealing with a problem is to admit that you have a problem in the first place. I saw problems in the Bills run defense and their underneath coverages. Hopefully, the team is not in the kind of denial this board is and it working on fixing these issues instead of just waiting for the regular season when everything will magically be fixed.

The only time there were runs for big gains was either against our Nickel, or when we were well into backup time. There were no runs for gains against our starters in the first quarter and a half. Gerhart's big run on their TD drive was a draw against our Nickel. After that, Scott tightened up and made some good stops from that formation. Everything else was stuffed or strung out. And they got 3 sacks and a bunch of pressures against the pass within about 20 plays. The defense wasnt that bad. At least our starters anyways.

3. Gerhart's 16yd run up the middle was because Sheppard seems more interested in taking on a block than tackling the runner. It was this play that led to him still being in the game in the 3rd quarter.

I like your general message, but you need to rewatch this play. We are in the Nickel and Shep isnt even in the game. Our LBs are Barnett and Scott. And they run right at Scott with a pulling Guard. It was a power draw against a pass defense. Hence the success.

It's preseason, the the 90's Bills didn't do squat in preseason either. No Reason to worry.

Shep is not impressing me right now. Agree with you on that Mike.

We got a nice young secondary . Our OL seems like its at least 6 0r 7 deep when healthy. Graham is doing what we need him to do so far.

A more pressing concern of mine in these replacement Refs. OMG is all I'm saying. They got to get the real refs back and I thought I would never say that.

The game we should judge is the Jets game. Cant wait . :)

This. Don't worry though, it'll all be fixed when the Bills finally start trying.

What is it that they say? The first step in dealing with a problem is to admit that you have a problem in the first place. I saw problems in the Bills run defense and their underneath coverages. Hopefully, the team is not in the kind of denial this board is and it working on fixing these issues instead of just waiting for the regular season when everything will magically be fixed.

Come on. We had a great offseason AND nobody got hurt in that game last night. Those in the know know this is the recipe for regular season success. Noooooo worries whatsoever.

I'm getting really tired of reading all these posts breaking down the Bills play last night with absolute no relation to reality. There were a number of things that can be improved on but the situation is no where near as dire as a lot of the amateur Madden's haere make it sound. A lot of folks are whining about how awful the Bills were last night but they're either not looking at the entirety of the play or they're just flat out making stuff up. Sure there were things that could have gone better but it was FAR from the disaster that some are making it out to be. One of the nicest things about the NFL Preseason package is that you can replay specific plays and actually WATCH what happened or where the breakdown occurred. You armchair analysts are either running with an agenda, really uninformed or really lazy. If you're going to say they sucked, back up your positions with some actual relevant proof.

So we are to ignore our delusional analyses and rely on yours instead?

Sure, why not. So basically, a few missed tackles by starters who were trying not to get hurt, some really bad calls by the refs, and a Vikes who QB who didn't have the balls to hang in the pocket so our new awesome pass rush could sack him and who's passes didn't really count anyway because they were too short to be counted as anything but runs after catch by WRs.

OK, you've won me over, Socrates.

Anyway....anyone who keeps saying "Brady" and "Rodgers" and "the 90's Bills" played poorly in preseason can knock that silly sh**t off right now. Neither Brady, Rodgers nor Jim Kelly and the 90's Bills are walking through the door at OBD in 2 weeks.

Having said that, it's best not to join "the sky is falling" nor the insane "vanilla/no one got injured" camps just yet. It's only preseason.

The only time there were runs for big gains was either against our Nickel, or when we were well into backup time. There were no runs for gains against our starters in the first quarter and a half. Gerhart's big run on their TD drive was a draw against our Nickel. After that, Scott tightened up and made some good stops from that formation. Everything else was stuffed or strung out. And they got 3 sacks and a bunch of pressures against the pass within about 20 plays. The defense wasnt that bad. At least our starters anyways.

I went back and re-reviewed the game. The Bills run defense in the first 3 Vikings drives when their starters were in was pretty good. They got gashed by Gerhart as you say but the other runs were handled pretty well. So I agree that things didn't break down vs the run until the backups started rotating in.

Minnesotta did get a TD and two field goal attempts out of their three drives vs the Bills starters however so I don't see how you can say that "the defense wasn't that bad". Hopefully the underneath passing can be controlled a little better because they got roasted by it.

I appreciate your insight and find the "sky is falling" sentiment on this board at the moment laughable.

Do we have weaknesses? Of course. But this is audition time for the majority of the team. As much as it would please the irrational/impatient segment of the fan base to come out with our week 1 game plan, it just doesn't make sense to do so.

It is audition time for every team the Bills play during preseason as well so your initial argument makes little sense..

The "don't worry be happy" sentiment by the same people that made the same statements the last 12 seasons is also laughable if it wasn't so sad.

I saw improvement last night in the offense (but to be honest there was no where to go but up after that first game), and the defensive line looked better to me as well. And that's all I was looking for. I am not one of those people that think the Bills will be challenging the Pats* for the top of the AFC East this year. The offense is still too weak for that in my opinion. So what I wanted was for the offense to start looking like last years offense, which is actually what it is, and they did. And for the defense to gel a bit more and play better, which they did as well. That plus the most important thing, no serious injuries, makes last nights game a success.

The sky is not falling any more than people should book their superbowl reservations.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Agree with Mike, it's not time to worry yet. Would not over analyze the game. It's preseason and there's gotta be very little game planning. It's mostly about looking at individual players so they can set the roster. Remember preseason scores and records mean nothing.

When is it OK to worry? The best I can say about Fitz and the O-line is that they have looked erratic. I would hope that they show some consistency, but that hasn't happened yet. Hopefully we see it game 3.

Too many open receivers. DBs and LBs have to do a better job. LBs need to step it up in the run game too. Barnett has looked good, Moats has flashes, but we need more from that unit.

So, I entered the preseason not expecting to worry, but here I am. I have worries but I'm not sure what to do with them because it isn't time to worry yet.

I think the 6 or 7 yd outs are part of what's meant when Chan and the WR are talking about mental mistakes and not being in the right spot.

I'm puzzled why you think they'd put Carder in the middle. They keep him, but right now McKillop is playing ahead of him at MLB and McKillop isn't ready to start at Mike either.

Me, I think if Shep doesn't shape up pretty quickly, they do something like move Barnett back to Mike (that *is* his natural home and he has the experience and the chops to call the D) and try Morrison or Bradham at Will with Moats at Sam.

You're right on McKillop. He tends to be the lost man for me and I often forget about him. I think Barnett back in the middle makes a lot of sense but I think they hoped Shep would work there because of his size. Honestly, if something doesn't change with Shep fast I'd Bradham and weak and let him smash into people. Sure he's likely to make some rookie mistakes but with size and speed he's likely to blow up some plays as well. Morrison just doesn't do a lot for me although some have said he did a great job at the Mike when he was in Oakland?

It is audition time for every team the Bills play during preseason as well so your initial argument makes little sense..

The "don't worry be happy" sentiment by the same people that made the same statements the last 12 seasons is also laughable if it wasn't so sad.

I saw improvement last night in the offense (but to be honest there was no where to go but up after that first game), and the defensive line looked better to me as well. And that's all I was looking for. I am not one of those people that think the Bills will be challenging the Pats* for the top of the AFC East this year. The offense is still too weak for that in my opinion. So what I wanted was for the offense to start looking like last years offense, which is actually what it is, and they did. And for the defense to gel a bit more and play better, which they did as well. That plus the most important thing, no serious injuries, makes last nights game a success.

The sky is not falling any more than people should book their superbowl reservations.

By audition time I was referring to the 2nd and 3rd teamers. Quite frankly, I really don't care if we win those battles. I was not laying down any argument other than the fact these games are more important to the coaches watching bubble players.

Was our 1st team brilliant yesterday? No. But in a regular season game with our full game plan at our disposal I have little doubt we would have won that game.

You're right on McKillop. He tends to be the lost man for me and I often forget about him. I think Barnett back in the middle makes a lot of sense but I think they hoped Shep would work there because of his size. Honestly, if something doesn't change with Shep fast I'd Bradham and weak and let him smash into people. Sure he's likely to make some rookie mistakes but with size and speed he's likely to blow up some plays as well. Morrison just doesn't do a lot for me although some have said he did a great job at the Mike when he was in Oakland?

Morrison was a good Mike on a bad Raiders football team. I think he looked better because of how weak the talent was around him, just as Poz racked up tackles behind a crummy line. Barnett was a very good Mike on the Packers team behind a very good line. A good line makes the Mike look better, but he played up to the talent around him.

IMO the Packers made a mistake when they cut him - their loss our gain.

To my view Barnett is the best MLB we have. He's never played outside; it's a learning experience for him. (Same applies to Morrison) I'd put Barnett in the middle here before anyone else on the team if Shep can't cut it. The question is do we have anyone else who could fill the bill better at Will.

Edited by Hopeful

There are two worlds here, one is fantasyworld, the other is the world of objectivity. You can usually tell the people living in the former, they're typically the most emotional and least factually based.

There's two world's out there? Just optimists and realists?

You're forgetting the third world where people say things like Lee Evans is gonna have more receiving yards than Stevie Johnson and that CJ Spiller is a comparable player to Shaud Williams… in other words… your world.

The term "vanilla" does seem to be used as a ready excuse all too often. The truth is vanilla does not excuse poor fundamentals. Not many teams' coaching staffs are going to fritter away time game planning these scrimmages, so it comes down to vanilla on vanilla and the best man winning his individual battles. Vanilla doesn't explain away being slow, not tackling, not blocking, dropping passes, fumbling, and all the other mistakes and brain farts we see many players making. Of course many of them aren't going to make a roster either.

I don't like the fact that Fitz had to call a timeout to avoid a delay of game (even though 36 seconds ran off the clock from the end of the first play to the timeout… like the refs wound the clock way too soon) and then later got called for delay of game.

I don't like Kelsay again losing outside containment on 3rd and 2 allowing Ponder to get outside him on a bootleg to turn it into a first and goal.

But one team called a flea-flicker last night and it wasn't the Bills.

The vanilla allegations don't excuse the complete performance, nor are they baseless excuses.

I like your general message, but you need to rewatch this play. We are in the Nickel and Shep isnt even in the game. Our LBs are Barnett and Scott. And they run right at Scott with a pulling Guard. It was a power draw against a pass defense. Hence the success.

I just watched it again, you are correct.

One thing that does comfort me, I trust Wanny to make adjustments with the LBs as needed.

I don't like the fact that Fitz had to call a timeout to avoid a delay of game (even though 36 seconds ran off the clock from the end of the first play to the timeout… like the refs wound the clock way too soon) and then later got called for delay of game.

I don't like Kelsay again losing outside containment on 3rd and 2 allowing Ponder to get outside him on a bootleg to turn it into a first and goal.

But one team called a flea-flicker last night and it wasn't the Bills.

The vanilla allegations don't excuse the complete performance, nor are they baseless excuses.

My comment wasn't about the Bills/Vikings game, actually. It was just about the annual "vanilla" excuse. It happens every pre-season that there are posts of the "don't worry, they game planned and we didn't" mental pablum.

How many NFL coaching staffs honestly game plan pre-season games? None, these days. (OK, Jimmy Johnson did it his first year in the NFL.) I don't see any teams playing their starters for 4 quarters. It laughable. Do they stay up late worrying about how to attack the 4th string secondary and what it's weaknesses in coverage are to win one for the Gip in the last 2 minutes? Of course they don't. Running a couple of gadget plays in a preseason game does not constitute real game planning.

PS: It is preseason, it doesn't count, and the overreactions are customary. B-)

I noticed these two points while I was watchnig the game - and saw some of the same with the Redskins.

Both teams threw a lot of screens and quick outs - they were anticipating trouble up front and protecting their young star QBs.

Which goes with the point that Minnesota was doing more planning-wise. But it also demonstrates that when the regular season begins, teams are constantly looking for a weaknesses. Right now there are 4 guys in the back 7 on defense who are fairly untested or have question marks about them. I expect teams to look for ways to off-set the front 4 push and how Buffalo counters this will be very interesting to watch. Talent typically wins, but there are times when coaching has to provide the margin. I'm looking forward to see how Gailey and Wannstedt on their respective sides of the ball counter.

Comparing the recent Bills teams to their Super Bowl teams is comparing apples to pancakes.

But, it is preseason.

This is a misnomer. It's not comparing the two teams. It's demonstration of a lack of correlation between pre-season and the regular season.

Do they count in the standings? No. Do they matter? No. Just stay healthy. That's all that matters.

There it is, completely irrelevant. I was wincing watching FreEx run the ball. Staying healthy is pretty much it. Coach knows what he wants and sees and makes his decisions and what changes that? Injuries. So I agree the only thing that matters is to stay healthy.

Realize that pre-season means nothing, but when you point out a bunch of horrific plays by the Bills, as a way of reassuring and admonishing us, it is hard to understand your point.

The Bills made a lot of bad plays. To draw the conclusion that they are meaningless tells us little of value and does not explain why these bad plays will disappear during the regular season.

Lose the anger and don't talk like we are in third grade gym class if you want to be taken more seriously.

Edited by Kemp

The problem is that there seems to be no flow, or cohesion to what we're doing on either side of the ball.

There's no flow or cohesion because there's no gameplan in place. Coaches are calling plays designed to see how OUR guys handle particular situations, not plays designed specifically stop the opponent.

i agree with you mike

1 i do think shepp sucks though

2. i do worry how fitz always throws 5 yard slants on third and long. Blitz or not, he needs throw past the D, not struggle to complete 5 yarders right where the db is standing and get 5 yards when we need 15. Stupid.

This has been a bug a boo for me for years now. If it's 3rd and 10, have a WR run a 11 or 12 yard route, get the first down. Don't throw a completion for 6 yards and have to punt.

This is a misnomer. It's not comparing the two teams. It's demonstration of a lack of correlation between pre-season and the regular season.

It's a poor argument for that point, a point that I did not neglect. "It is pre-season."

Here's an article that states the case without conflating Super Bowl pedigrees as a feel good chaser. B-)

http://www.nfl.com/p...rseason-success

PS: This article is interesting.

http://www.madduxsports.com/blog/nfl-coaches-preseason-records-16939/

There it is, completely irrelevant. I was wincing watching FreEx run the ball. Staying healthy is pretty much it. Coach knows what he wants and sees and makes his decisions and what changes that? Injuries. So I agree the only thing that matters is to stay healthy.

So, if the only thing that matters is staying healthy why do they play the games? Everyone must know this, every GM, player, coach. Is this a money grab by the league? That must be the only answer because the games are completely irrelevant. Maybe they play them so that the announcers can get in practice time? Hasn't helped Tasker yet so it's a failure there too.

So, if the only thing that matters is staying healthy why do they play the games? Everyone must know this, every GM, player, coach. Is this a money grab by the league? That must be the only answer because the games are completely irrelevant. Maybe they play them so that the announcers can get in practice time? Hasn't helped Tasker yet so it's a failure there too.

Good question. Obviously, staying healthy is not the only goal of these games. By the way, wasn't it the league that was pushing for an 18 game season?

Basically, yes. They are practice scrimmages which are hyped up so tickets can be sold and the owners/league can pull in some extra bucks. Beyond that, they are nothing more than a full speed practice against guys you dont mind hitting. Starting players can get back into game speed, but staying healthy is more important, and so coaches can determine which backups are making the team.

That. is. it. Nothing more.

Basically, yes. They are practice scrimmages which are hyped up so tickets can be sold and the owners/league can pull in some extra bucks. Beyond that, they are nothing more than a full speed practice against guys you dont mind hitting. Starting players can get back into game speed, but staying healthy is more important, and so coaches can determine which backups are making the team.

That. is. it. Nothing more.

Ahhh, so it doesn't give a player like Fred Jackson or Delano Howell (to use a current example) an opportunity to show that they belong in the NFL? Those players would have shown enough in practice to make the team? Peyton Manning if full of crap; just toeing the company line when he talks about the importance of preseason games? Is Peyton's perfectionist attitude bad, or is it something that should be emulated?

So, these very same Bills fans wouldn't be crowing if the Bills were 2-0 and the first team offence had a 75% success rate and the first team defense hadn't allowed a first down?

To say that you shouldn't be concerned about what happens in preseason is idiocy. Reality is that the games do matter. Concerns that we have now may be multiplied when the games are 'real'. Are you not concerned about the back-up O-linemen? Are you not concerned about the LB play? I am, and to a lesser degree I'm concerned about Fitzpatrick's inability to get any consistency going. I've seen him do it, so the concern there isn't as great, but it's there.

You people are 'forcing' me to look like a HATER when nothing could be further from the truth; I'm a realist.

Ahhh, so it doesn't give a player like Fred Jackson or Delano Howell (to use a current example) an opportunity to show that they belong in the NFL? Those players would have shown enough in practice to make the team? Peyton Manning if full of crap; just toeing the company line when he talks about the importance of preseason games? Is Peyton's perfectionist attitude bad, or is it something that should be emulated?

So, these very same Bills fans wouldn't be crowing if the Bills were 2-0 and the first team offence had a 75% success rate and the first team defense hadn't allowed a first down?

To say that you shouldn't be concerned about what happens in preseason is idiocy. Reality is that the games do matter. Concerns that we have now may be multiplied when the games are 'real'. Are you not concerned about the back-up O-linemen? Are you not concerned about the LB play? I am, and to a lesser degree I'm concerned about Fitzpatrick's inability to get any consistency going. I've seen him do it, so the concern there isn't as great, but it's there.

You people are 'forcing' me to look like a HATER when nothing could be further from the truth; I'm a realist.

There is no such thing as "throwing the switch" and going from sloppy, mentally disengaged execution, 11 men on 11 different pages, one day to nearly perfect, well-timed execution the next. That and poor football fundamentals should be viewed with a realistic sense of concern. I know coaching staffs are concerned when they watch the tapes when they see that, as Peyton isn't the only one that likes to see players doing things right.

PS: I'm not saying the Bills were that bad and I fully realize opinions are all over the map.

PPS: I fully realize that this is a work in progress.

I disagree, I belielve there is very much a "throw the switch" ability, at least as it pertains to the physical nature of the game. I thank anyone that's played a sport at a higher level knows there's a massive difference between a practice, a scrimmage and a live game. NFL players are professional athletes and have the ability to dial up the physicality at will. I agree that mental mistakes and execution mistakes shouldn't happen in practice or scrimmages but the intensity with which they're carried out can vary greatly. Footbally players are used to 16 weeks of regular season game planning where they specifically plan for offensive and defensive plays and and formations. That's what they're conditioned to do and they do any of that during the preseason with maybe the exception of the third game. It's also the reason that the playoffs take on a whole different level of intensity and execution. I dont' think any veteran NFL players are going balls to the wall during these glorified practices.

As to the pre-season. Last year one of the negotiation points was a reduction in the number of pre-season games. If they were vitally important that conversation would never have taken place. Remember all the talk about an 18 games season? Unfortunately what the NFL lacks right now is a way to evaluate younger players and undrafted players. The pre-season allows the coaches, GM's and owners a way to see the rookies and young players in a game day type of format. All of the guys that got drafted were stars in high school, may have been stars in college but are now playing with essentially a college all-start team. Some can make the jump, others can't.

For veteran players, the pre-season is nothing more than a 3/4 speed warm up with no game plan or adjustments. Their biggest concern is avoiding injury.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

There is no such thing as "throwing the switch" and going from sloppy, mentally disengaged execution, 11 men on 11 different pages, one day to nearly perfect, well-timed execution the next. That and poor football fundamentals should be viewed with a realistic sense of concern. I know coaching staffs are concerned when they watch the tapes when they see that, as Peyton isn't the only one that likes to see players doing things right.

PS: I'm not saying the Bills were that bad and I fully realize opinions are all over the map.

PPS: I fully realize that this is a work in progress.

:o Are you saying that there may be a middle ground? That there could be valid points on both sides? :o That's crazy talk man! :D

Probably not so much for a 2-0 record as I think it is universally understood (even here ;) ) that the win/loss record in preseason truly is meaningless. But if the offense was firing on all cylinders and Fitz completing 25 yard passes every other play you bet most of the "totally meaningless" posts would be replaced by how great the offense is posts.

If you watched Ponder and the Vikings starting offense at all, and if you have seen any of the other preseason games you will see where offenses should be by this time. The Bills aren't there in my opinion. This next game should really show where they are as the starters for both teams should play an extended period of time.

Oh MY!! If that was the case these guys would be in the throws of consecutive orgasms with no refractory period in between. We would never see the words "it's just preseason". It would be all about Nix as GM of the Year, Chan as COTY, they would be listing all of the likely Pro Bowlers Nix has found in this year's draft......well, you know how the script would go at that point.

Great post BB.

You missed my line of "and so coaches can determine which backups are making the team." I'll give you that these "games" matter very much to those players. But you still cant get a good judgement of a team based on how the fringe players do in the 2nd half.

Also, please see my post from Simon's thread, I think we are on the same page:

Even as an eternal optimist, the best way I've heard that performance summed up has been "a minor cause for alarm".

I get that it doesnt matter. I get that we (hopefully) are running vanilla schemes. The only stat Im worried about at the end is shutting out the injury report.

That being said however, I would have liked to see them execute one drive, or even one play, crisply, cleanly, and in a dominating fashion. We looked slow and sloppy out there.

Is that a direct indication of what's to come this season? No. But we're going to have to go full speed at some point. Im hoping that comes before the preseason is over. We have two more games before it's for real. I'll hold off on worrying until then, the sky is not falling, but it would be nice to see them play like they are trying at least once.

The good news is, two preseason games down, and zero injuries. Right now, that's all that matters.

Probably not so much for a 2-0 record as I think it is universally understood (even here ;) ) that the win/loss record in preseason truly is meaningless. But if the offense was firing on all cylinders and Fitz completing 25 yard passes every other play you bet most of the "totally meaningless" posts would be replaced by how great the offense is posts.

If you watched Ponder and the Vikings starting offense at all, and if you have seen any of the other preseason games you will see where offenses should be by this time. The Bills aren't there in my opinion. This next game should really show where they are as the starters for both teams should play an extended period of time.

Conversely, would the current posts about how bad the offense looks then turn into "it's only preseason?"

GO BILLS!!!

I just re watched it. Kept my eyes on Cordy every play, as I think he is the key to this season for us. Thought he played better than Hairston over there, definitely good enough to start. Rex is going to stack his side and throw everything they have at the rook to confuse and frustrate him. The second penalty Cordy got was a mistake by the ref in my opinion, he didn't screw up the snap count anyway and that's good.

Agree about Shep being a concern, very interested in how he rebounds from a weak showing and plays a full first half with the ones next week. He's got the film on himself and it's not pretty, so here's hoping we get that straight in the next 21 days.

Brooks, Rogers, Williams and Gilmore. All young and talented corners. Not worried about that.

Moats is looking more comfortable over there. I know we've moved him around a lot already but has anyone considered moving him inside? He's the same size as Shep 6'2 250. He sheds blocks better. I don't know how hard that transition is but I wonder if that ever crossed Wanny's mind. Tank Carder is going to make this team, I wonder if he can push Shep for that spot.

C'mon Shep don't let us down man......

I disagree, I belielve there is very much a "throw the switch" ability, at least as it pertains to the physical nature of the game. I thank anyone that's played a sport at a higher level knows there's a massive difference between a practice, a scrimmage and a live game. NFL players are professional athletes and have the ability to dial up the physicality at will. I agree that mental mistakes and execution mistakes shouldn't happen in practice or scrimmages but the intensity with which they're carried out can vary greatly. Footbally players are used to 16 weeks of regular season game planning where they specifically plan for offensive and defensive plays and and formations. That's what they're conditioned to do and they do any of that during the preseason with maybe the exception of the third game. It's also the reason that the playoffs take on a whole different level of intensity and execution. I dont' think any veteran NFL players are going balls to the wall during these glorified practices.

As to the pre-season. Last year one of the negotiation points was a reduction in the number of pre-season games. If they were vitally important that conversation would never have taken place. Remember all the talk about an 18 games season? Unfortunately what the NFL lacks right now is a way to evaluate younger players and undrafted players. The pre-season allows the coaches, GM's and owners a way to see the rookies and young players in a game day type of format. All of the guys that got drafted were stars in high school, may have been stars in college but are now playing with essentially a college all-start team. Some can make the jump, others can't.

For veteran players, the pre-season is nothing more than a 3/4 speed warm up with no game plan or adjustments. Their biggest concern is avoiding injury.

Really? The "turn the switch" thingy works?

How many times has a team locked up a playoff spot, relax (use whatever terminology you wish) the last couple of weeks and never regain their momentum?

Ask the Colts, Broncos and Packers as most recent examples of this.

Compounding this.....we're the BILLS! This team hasn't won a freakin' thing in a generation. It would behoove them to compete/practice/play hard and with conviction whatever the stakes (job, preseason game, regular season game, playoff game) at thier highest level. Learn to win every battle you can.

Creating a culture of winning from the outset. When these players walk down the hall from the lockerroom to the field it should be with the idea that they're going to be the first one to the field.

Why? Because they could win that battle. Create a winning culture. Strive to be the best.

Turn the switch? WE don't have that switch. These games mean something. Not the result but the behavior is.

IMO, you couldn't be more wrong. This model makes me hater? I think not.

Create the culture that hasn't existed here in what seems like forever.