Where is Kelvin Sheppard?

BillsLux

I wonder how many people on this forum actually rematched the tape...

I'm not defending Shep, but the original statement from the OP was Shep getting burnt on a draw play. Funny just had a look at the game and Shep wasnt even on the field on that play. The Bills were in nickel defense and it was in fact Bryan Scott who got blocked by a Viking guard and allowed the play to go long.

I'm not saying that excuses some of Sheps other bad plays but it makes me wonder if people are actually watching Shep or just assuming hes in the middle all the plays.

95% of the "analysis" that goes on around here is by armchair heroes who never played or coached a lick of football in their entire lives, but because they've "watched it for years" feel competent to discuss how a player did or did not perform.

Once you understand that, the board becomes easier to stomach. We're all just idiots presenting our uninformed opinions.

And yes, I include myself in that statement.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shep is the reason that I wanted the Bills to trade down and draft Hightower. This is not to say there would have been an adequate offer mind you, but Sheppard was not a good player last season, and we are clearly weak at the LB position.

I suppose the good news is that so were the Giants last season. In other words, we truly need the DL to step up, but we already knew this.

Edited by Bill from NYC

95% of the "analysis" that goes on around here is by armchair heroes who never played or coached a lick of football in their entire lives, but because they've "watched it for years" feel competent to discuss how a player did or did not perform.

Once you understand that, the board becomes easier to stomach. We're all just idiots presenting our uninformed opinions.

I would include myself in that statement as well.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I think sheppard is in trouble. I remember an interview with Gailey this offseason where he mentioned being frustrated that shep showed up last year way out of shape which caused him to get behind early last season.

I don't remember Chaney calling out Shepard for being out of shape.

Anyone defending Sheppard is just not paying attention--he is just overwhelmed right now...he can't even disengage from a full back or tight end...he makes very few proper reads...sadly mckilop is better right now, but he's not nearly the athlete needed for that position...it is a very big problem right now...forget left tackle or second wr...or even qb, this is priority #1...I would be shocked if he has anything similar saturday to his last performance if we did not find veteran or just demote for mckilip or Morrison

Not me

I don't remember Chaney calling out Shepard for being out of shape.

I don't think he called Shep out for it precisely - calling out would have been mentioning it at the time of 2011 camp.

Chan commented that Shep in camp this year was doing much better than Shep in camp last year, where he showed up 15 lbs heavier and was injured early on (keep in mind in 3-4 want LB to have more mass and heavier doesn't necessarily mean out of shape).

I hate to go all eball and post my own thread but McKillop will be starting by week 4. Shep never saw a block that he could shed. He's not physical at the POA. He's 10 x's worse than Poz and that's saying a lot.

http://forums.twobil...scott-mckillop/

I, too, am concerned by how Shep is playing. I do think we need to give him some adjustment time - but a look at the # of tackles v. Wash and Vikes shows one (1) vs Skins and none (0) vs Minn. For a MLB, that's very very scary. I think McKillop will be a good LB but after a year off and mostly ST before that no way is he ready to start as the "QB of the Defense". Bear in mind he's looking good vs the 2nd teamers, and one might have the same complaints about him if he started at this point. If they decide Shep isn't ready, they will shuffle things around - return Barnett to his natural position in the middle and try Moats at SLB and Morrison or someone else at WLB - in contrast to everything they've said, posssibly Merriman if he stays healthy because while it wouldn't let him showcase his best skill of rushing the passer, that guy can just flat out play football.

Keep in mind Barnett isn't showing his best play right now either - the outside is a new game for him also.

Edited by Hopeful

I, too, am concerned by how Shep is playing. I do think we need to give him some adjustment time - but a look at the # of tackles v. Wash and Vikes shows one (1) vs Skins and none (0) vs Minn. For a MLB, that's very very scary. I think McKillop will be a good LB but after a year off and mostly ST before that no way is he ready to start as the "QB of the Defense". Bear in mind he's looking good vs the 2nd teamers, and one might have the same complaints about him if he started at this point. If they decide Shep isn't ready, they will shuffle things around - return Barnett to his natural position in the middle and try Moats at SLB and Morrison or someone else at WLB - in contrast to everything they've said, posssibly Merriman if he stays healthy because while it wouldn't let him showcase his best skill of rushing the passer, that guy can just flat out play football.

Keep in mind Barnett isn't showing his best play right now either - the outside is a new game for him also.

McKillop knows this defense like the back of his hand because he played for Wanny and was his defensive captain for two years at Pitt. He was All Big East twice and the defensive player of the year in 08. He has something that KS doesn't have, instincts. He's a thumper who's not giving up his gap. KS is playing on skates on every play and getting blocked down field, not even around the LOS.

Sheppard was god awful last night, Mark Kelso pointed out his mistakes often.

At one point, he turned his back on the ball carrier and he ran right past him.

Worst job by a MLB in years........

This

I watched the game and keyed in on mostly sheppard because I do feel he's suspect. His instincts are not good and he is very slow to read and react as evidenced by that double move put on him by Minnesota's receiver ( his name escapes me) he dove and wiffed thats how bad he was beaten. If you dont think guys like Ryan and Belicheat wont key in on mismatches with Sheppard your nuts. This LB corp is in trouble

There's "watched it for years" as in sat there with a twelve-pack and some chips chowing down. And then there's "watched it for years" as in studied the game.

I can be wrong and often am, I do think you're selling yourself a bit short there, eball. It becomes clear pretty quickly whose opinions are informed and who is just blowing smoke.

McKillop knows this defense like the back of his hand because he played for Wanny and was his defensive captain for two years at Pitt. He was All Big East twice and the defensive player of the year in 08. He has something that KS doesn't have, instincts. He's a thumper who's not giving up his gap. KS is playing on skates on every play and getting blocked down field, not even around the LOS.

"That's nice, Sonny, but This Here's the Fleet!". McKillop may have a leg up on the 'stache's defensive install, and he may be playing well enough against the #2s to earn a spot on the team, but that doesn't mean he's ready to start at MLB which means able to diagnose NFL offenses and call the right D then react himself, all at NFL speed which is a whole different enchilada than college. Give Shep the rest of preseason to figure it out. If he doesn't, he'll sit down, but I'd be very surprised (and worried, myself) if it's McKillop who takes over the middle.

Shep has definitely struggled. Personally I think the best thing to do if he continutes to struggle would be to move Barnett back to middle linebacker and maybe have a Moats and Bradham/Morrison combo on the outside

Probably right....... :thumbsup:

Sometimes I seriously wonder why I come to this site all the time, it's gettin to the point right now where I'm putting someone on the ignore list everyday

Someone?! You've got a lot of restraint, IMO. :D

My list's at 24 pages and growing...

Its pretty obvious, we need a new face in town at MLB, nobody on the roster is a starter.

Yeah, you're right, I guess players who start at Mike for GB and Oakland aren't up to our lofty standards of play.

Hint: Barnett was a beast last year for us, and no reason he won't be a beast this year, especially if he were returned to his natural position of MLB - jury's out on if he'll adjust to WLB

Shep has definitely struggled. Personally I think the best thing to do if he continutes to struggle would be to move Barnett back to middle linebacker and maybe have a Moats and Bradham/Morrison combo on the outside

One of the more sensible solutions I've read. Moats and Bradham would give us a young but talented/hungry LB corp anchored by a high-motor, wiley vet in the middle.

As with Barnett, if I'm not mistaken all Morrison's experience is as MLB and unclear if he can adjust to SLB or WLB.

Edited by Hopeful

especially if he were returned to his natural position of MLB - jury's out on if he'll adjust to WLB

can adjust to SLB or WLB.

My understanding is that our 3 LB positions are almost interchangeable - that's coming from Wanny himself. I'm not saying they are exactly the same, but the difference is much less than moving outside/inside in our old 3-4 defense. Right now this team needs to figure out who those starting 3 are going to be, and it's becoming apparent that Sheppard should not be one of them.

I'm not ready to completely write the kid off, but he's just not ready for a starting role yet.

it will be disappointing if it turns out the Bills missed on Shep. after all, they fell in love with him at the senior bowl, and it was more than likely a consensus Gailey/Nix selection. or was it George Edwards who loved him so much?? also, i heard the stache took the play calling duties away from him, and gave them to WIlson against the Vikes?

i hope he's not in a free fall...

it will be disappointing if it turns out the Bills missed on Shep. after all, they fell in love with him at the senior bowl, and it was more than likely a consensus Gailey/Nix selection. or was it George Edwards who loved him so much?? also, i heard the stache took the play calling duties away from him, and gave them to WIlson against the Vikes?

i hope he's not in a free fall...

Linebacker City down in Pittsburgh (Stillers) says that it takes 3-4 years to develop a starting linebacker. Shep is not only being asked to start as a 2nd year guy, but to QB the defense. The fact that he's struggling with this role at this time in no way says that he's a miss or a bust. Give him time.

Edited by Hopeful

My understanding is that our 3 LB positions are almost interchangeable - that's coming from Wanny himself. I'm not saying they are exactly the same, but the difference is much less than moving outside/inside in our old 3-4 defense. Right now this team needs to figure out who those starting 3 are going to be, and it's becoming apparent that Sheppard should not be one of them.

I'm not ready to completely write the kid off, but he's just not ready for a starting role yet.

Interchangeable must be in the eye of the beholder. It's true there is less difference in roles and responsibilities between OLB and ILB in a 4-3 than in a 3-4.

But the positions do require somewhat different skill sets. Here is one explanation (scroll down and look for 4-3-4 LB descriptions). Simplistically speaking, the SLB needs to be stronger and able to take on a lead blocker on a run play (fullback or TE). The WLB needs to be fastest and most agile as he needs to run down a play from behind and cover the most space. And the MLB needs to be able to live the Who song "Won't Get Fooled Again" and have eyes in the back of his helmet - it's not only his job to call the play, it's his job to keep track of the play's progress, often to spy the QB etc. (Where's jboys? He can do better at explaining this than I can. Send up the giant Cow Signal, commisioner)

One thing that I haven't heard mentioned here is that it's key to the ability of a Mike that the DL needs to be keeping the offensive linemen OFF of him. So if we've been seeing Shep engaged with an OL and unable to fight that off, keep in mind that's actually not supposed to be his job to fight off OLmen and it could be a sign that someone on the DL is whiffing on their job right now.

(I don't think that's Shep's whole problem here, it may be part of it though)

Me too...I have a new word.."Idiocrity," sums us up pretty well (put it together). Now, if only we could realize that this is PRE SEASON!! No schemeing, base D's & O's, glorified practices to fix what's "broke" in regular practices....hello...hello? Is anyone out there?

Just read this thread and many of the comments. I am in agreement with most of what has been written here about Shep. He did nothing last year to imply that he was an impact player. Did he have any stops behind the line of scrimmage, or make any big stops on third down to get the defense off the field? I don't recall Shep making many (or any) of these type of plays.

I have seats low on the sidelines for the home games, and my first impression of Shep was not very good. I remember a Michael Vick scramble last year against the eagles that went for 50 yards or so, and Sheppard chasing after him. I know that no MLB in the league is going to catch Michael Vick, but Shep looked like he was running on a wooden leg. He looked incredibly stiff; and I wondered then what the coaching staff was seeing in this guy.

I'm still wondering.

Here's hoping I'm wrong, because we need competent linebacker play to complement our very good defensive line.

When Murph was interviewing Jairus Byrd on his show yesterday, it was mentioned that at practice yesterday they took the speaker out of the MLB's helmet and put it in Byrd's. This was explained as just making sure other guys can make calls when needed, but I couldn't help but think it reflects on Shep. I hope I'm wrong.

Thats why I wanted martez Wilson ahead of shep last year. Yes he was a more raw talent but he had the goods physically. You can't coach "bigger and (a lot) faster "

Martez Wilson is currently playing defensive end for the Saints...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

yes, because Sheppard hasn't been all that good, let's put in a rookie who hasn't shown all that much into a starting position because his name is Tank. Fans really should run the team.

Agreed, Tank needs to hit the gym, bulk up, and learn how to tackle big NFL players before he can consider being an NFL MLB. I know the Tank fans will moan, but so far Tank has looked like a boy playing a mans game. He has great instincts and good speed, but he just simply can't match up with NFL players at this point. I think he shows some skill, and could be a good player if he can become more stout at the point of attack. He's pretty much at the point you would think a 5th rnd prospect would be at this point in his career.

I'm guessing he will be on the practice squad this year.

I also agree with what others have said about Shepp, and never understood why he was "guaranteed" the starting job by Gailey last year despite proving nothing. He plays opposite tank, he's got the size, but he plays slow and doesn't get to the ball. Seems its impossible for him to break off a block, he just stops and wrestles with the blocker.

So far McKillop has looked like the best MLB on this team, and I'd be ok with Morrison getting some looks there as well since he's the only one with experience there (Barnett played in a 3-4 for the last decade). It's going to be a problem if we don't shore up the middle. It's going to be really easy to neutralize our big pass rushers, if teams can just run it up the gut.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Was it Sheppard that was co-hosting a weekend AM sports radio show, ESPN out here or something like that?

No, that woudl be Kirk Morrison...he has a Sunday afternoon show on FOX Sports Radio, which he hosts with Rob Dibble. I haven't listened in a while, I would assume he is not doing it during the football season. For as much PT as he got last season, he could have likely done the show, via remote, from the Bills bench.

Check out this article on www.nomorelinks.com

Also follow them on twitter @nomorelinks, I have been trying to put out as much stuff I can on the Bills prospects. Keep it up and God Bless

http://nomorelinks....rge-in-buffalo/

Great article. None the less, I am worried about the linebackers. Thus far in the preseason, it has seemed that teams can still run the ball down our throats. I like the pass rush, but it won't matter if we can't keep teams in third and long situations.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but it's my opinion...

He had a bad game against Minnesota. Is it possible he's actually a good player that had a bad pre-season game?

Are we already pitchfork-ready regarding Sheppard, or does he at least get a chance to prove himself for a few regular season games?

Sheesh.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but it's my opinion...

He had a bad game against Minnesota. Is it possible he's actually a good player that had a bad pre-season game?

Are we already pitchfork-ready regarding Sheppard, or does he at least get a chance to prove himself for a few regular season games?

Sheesh.

I'm with you there. I think he gets quite a bit more than that even. I would say that barring another season ending injury that threatens his NFL career, that we'll be watching this kid NEXT season as well and go from there. Let's all not forget that we let the Posluzny experiment go for 4 years before the team finally realized that he just wasn't good enough to play the position.