What have the Bills done wrong this offseason?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't like the title of this thread

but

If the Bills cared about nothing except this year they could have gone after a LB like Demario Davis in the 3rd round and offer next year's #1 to Pittsburgh for Mike Wallace - Wallace is a richman's TJ Graham an inch taller, ten pounds heavier, a tenth of a second faster and with two years of very good NFL production.

of course there may be a lot of down side risk making a move like this- you're giving up a first round draft choice and you may depending on the salary cap and size of contract be putting at risk our ability to extend some core players in up coming years- and depending on the size of the contract compared to SJ you could be putting locker room harmony at risk.

TJ Graham is 5'11" and was listed at 188 lbs. Roscoe was listed at almost 15 lbs lighter. People need to stop comparing the 2.

No. We really don't. 188 lbs is extremely light for an NFL player. Anything under 200 should be suspect to copias amounts of doubt IMO.

But thanks for trying to prove a point. Still doesn't matter in my opinion.

We are all quite aware of the wildly succesfull free agency period and draft the Bills have had this off season.

But where do my fellow posters think they have come up short. Or made the incorrect choice. My only disagreement with there moves was to let D. Florence go and keep Mcgee. Why? Simple Florence was able to stay healthy and on the field. If Mcgee is healthy he is a better player. This is my only beef.

IMO letting Florence go when they did was a gesture of respect for a player who "done right" by us. They let him go early to give him the best chance to be picked up by another team and continue his career.

I think you always keep the better player, and I think they felt after the draft, they have enough depth even if McGee gets injured again.

I don't like TJ Graham in the 3rd round. It feels like the sort of "WTF?" out of left field "we're smarter than 30 other teams" draft choice that characterized previous regimes.

Def. a project player, and I would have preferred a "surer bet" at WR or a TE. OTOH, Bills have done their homework and he's def. one of the fastest and most nimble guys in the draft. I was hoping for a big burner guy who could go up and fight for it though.

My answers will be

1- Not getting a true number 2 WR (The questionable Graham pick being a little high and the failure to get Meachem).

2- Failing to add depth at tightend or LB

3- Backup center is still not completely settled (Asper not really a pure center).

4- Not keeping Florence till training camp (Couldn't have hurt to keep the guy around till camp).

These are very minor complaints compared to past off-seasons. The number 2 WR spot was attempted to be addressed by courting Meachem and they did draft Graham on top of that the market for WR's was over inflated thanks to the Redskins overpaying for several WR's.

Depth at tightend and LB is probably my biggest complaint. But there are still some guys available that could fill those roles.

Asper is likely the backup center so at least one is in place in case Wood goes down again. But I would have preferred that they go after a more veteran option.

The not keeping Florence is more so a pet peeve. Not really a big deal but I would have preferred to have kept him through camp.

I didn't like the attempt to sign Meachem. That guy is nothing special. I'm glad they passed once his price tag got high, so no harm done there. I didn't like the Teej Graham pick, but we'll see if it works out. I wasn't thrilled about them pursuing Mark Anderson (if you don't know what "regression to the mean" is, google it), but for the money they got him at, it's not a bad risk. I question the wisdom of drafting a 27-year-old backup C who never played C until after his college career was over, but that was a late pick, so whatever. I didn't like the Vince Young signing due to possible attitude issues; hopefully Young either proves me wrong or gets cut in training camp. I would have liked to see a little bit of attention paid to the DT spot -- I know our starters are awesome when healthy, but our backups are mostly 3-4 DEs and underwhelming NTs. Maybe they plan on going Giants style and rotating DEs at DT on passing downs.

And that's everything I can think of. Overall, I'm very happy with this offseason; it's the most I've liked an offseason in a long time. Obviously it would've been nice to draft a QB as a developmental guy, but the only one I liked at all (that we had a shot at) was Russell Wilson, and the 3rd round seems way too early to draft that guy. Frankly I'm stunned that Pete Carroll pulled that move, especially after signing Matt Flynn. Even though I hated the Graham pick, I don't know that I would've preferred them to take Wilson in that spot.

I only read page one in this thread but yours stands out. Are you sure you're even a Bills fan? Check yourself!

We had the most amazing off season in the league and in our history and this is what you come away with?

Holy !@#$ man I'm a pessimist at heart but your take is beyond grasp. We are having an amazing off season.Yes when the pads go on and the season starts is when it matters but good god man, you make it sound like we will be lucky to avoid the cellar in our division.

Here's my thought. We are going to go 5-1 in the division with one loss to the Pats. The rest is gravy and we are a dynamo team in the league.

!@#$in pessimism has no place on this team this year.

Go Bills!

Wished they would've drafted Floyd over Gilmore paired with a 3rd round CB over TJ Graham. Graham dropped so many passes at the combine, I doubt he would've gone any higher than 6th, plus they trashed a 7th rounder on him too. He better be at least as good as Roscoe.

I'm sure he will be as he will play a lot more than Roscoe could.

I find it hard to believe that the Bills could have done a better job of getting more talent in here. What I am most concerned about right now is the move back to a 4-3 along with Wanny at the helm....hopefully it's a smooth transition. Something else that nags on me is bringing in a QB coach that likes to get in the QB's head. I know, these two things can just as easily be a positive thing but after this many years of no playoffs I just have a hard time drinking too much koolaid.

Here's the bottle brother. Stay on board cause this is going to fun!

Go Bills!

IMO letting Florence go when they did was a gesture of respect for a player who "done right" by us. They let him go early to give him the best chance to be picked up by another team and continue his career.

I think you always keep the better player, and I think they felt after the draft, they have enough depth even if McGee gets injured again.

I don't like TJ Graham in the 3rd round. It feels like the sort of "WTF?" out of left field "we're smarter than 30 other teams" draft choice that characterized previous regimes.

Def. a project player, and I would have preferred a "surer bet" at WR or a TE. OTOH, Bills have done their homework and he's def. one of the fastest and most nimble guys in the draft. I was hoping for a big burner guy who could go up and fight for it though.

Valid point about doing right by D. Florence. Maybe McGee does not get a contract from a different team.

They took the approach that both lines needed upgrades. While they had the interior of both the OL and DL pretty solidified, they needed edge guys. They brought in two very good DE and drafted two promising OT. You still win this game in the trenches.

Brady and NE has always had stellar OL play during his tenure there. I think Buffalo's two lines should be among the best in the league. Some growing pains will occurr, but in two years from now these lines will be amazing.

If you have a good Oline you make your running backs, qb, and receivers all better.

Same goes on D. If your Dline can win the battle up front, the second and third tier will benefit.

I think the real benefit of having a 70y/o GM was just that. His age and wisdom. The game has changed and evolved, but you have to win up front still.

Yea, too bad Nix didn't start that rebuild on the O line two years ago...

Anyway, like other posters have already mentioned, a better option at #2 WR and tight end.

The Bills are still lacking that develop from scratch rookie QB. Still not happy with Pears and Ubrik at RT and RG, unless they move Hairston to RT.

I only read page one in this thread but yours stands out. Are you sure you're even a Bills fan? Check yourself!

We had the most amazing off season in the league and in our history and this is what you come away with?

Holy !@#$ man I'm a pessimist at heart but your take is beyond grasp.......

Seriously?

The thread is to discuss where you think the Bills made mistakes. The guy lists what he sees as a couple mistakes and then states how much he liked our offseason and your response is to start cussing him and questioning whether he's even a Bills fan?

Maybe you're the one who ought to check yourself.

Very solid offseason for the Bills, my only complaint is we should have picked WR Mohamed Sanu in the 3rd instead of Graham, Sanu is a big boy with very good hands and deceiving speed, I was hoping for that pick big time and was shocked to find out we picked Graham in the 3rd round....Anyway I'm hoping Buddy proves me wrong...Go Bills!!!

Biggest mistake is not bringing in an OC. I know Chan acts it but I'd rather he have someone who can do more of the detail work and let him concentrate on bigger picture.

Not the time to change the OC, even if the OC is also the HC.

PTR

shudda drafted that Burfect LB and resigned Reggie Corner. We need some mean on Defense and Burfect (sp?) seem t o fit the bill after losing out on Kuluchey. also I like reggie corner. i think we drafted him in the 4th round and brought him back last year when the season got started. I like the young guys but back up vets are important in my opinion.

We are all quite aware of the wildly succesfull free agency period and draft the Bills have had this off season.

But where do my fellow posters think they have come up short. Or made the incorrect choice. My only disagreement with there moves was to let D. Florence go and keep Mcgee. Why? Simple Florence was able to stay healthy and on the field. If Mcgee is healthy he is a better player. This is my only beef.

Well you have to think of it like this . Mcgee although hurt a lot in the past , when healthy is the best we have had in that position , so doesn't it make more sense to keep him around (being the best when healthy) not to mention being a life long Bills player & letting a guy go that is good but inconsistent at best to teach the rookies ?

This way if Mcgee gets hurt & is ultimately cut before the season b/c he gets hurt again or just isn't 100% at the start of the season , at least the Bills have kept the best possible mentor around to pass on veteran knowledge to the rookie class of the past 2 years that will be the corp of this team for the next 4 to 5 years !!

The only other thing that i can see where we may have fallen a bit short is the WR pick in the 3rd ?? I hope that Graham can become what the team envisioned him to be , or that Marcus Easley can become that person , which with his size & speed & the investment of 2 yrs already made by the team he is my horse in this race :thumbsup: !

I just hope that if Easley does become our entrenched #2 WR that he remembers come contract time that the Bills paid him 2 years salary while he was trying to get his health issues in line & shows a bit of loyalty to the Bills for it rather than getting healthy , doing great things at his position & then being a Willis Mcgahee type & bolting while bad mouthing the team for better money .. What a creep !!! :thumbdown: !!

Edited by T master

I am a bit confused about why a lot of people here seem so focused on the TE position?

I say this because we have the unique advantage of having 2 excellent RBs who have great hands and we are often in 5 wide sets. The very nature of our offense uses the TE position rather sparingly, though Chandler did a great job maximizing his opportunities last year. The obvious response is "it gives us a unique wrinkle" or "so and so team uses them effectively", but I don't see either as particularly persuasive arguments, a the same could be said for any position on the team. It would be great to have better depth at every position, so why is everyone so intent on TE?

The bolded text is pure conjecture.

Here's what isn't:

Winfield was leveraging both the Jets and Vikings against the Bills at the time.

The second biggest contributing factor to the money was his eagerness to rejoin Ted Cottrell.

He didn't want to stay in Buffalo unless he would have been grossly overpaid to do so. He 'chose' to go.

GO BILLS!!!

The bolded is pure conjecture.

The Bills were unable to make Winfield a market-level offer, because TD had squandered his salary cap space on Troy Vincent and Lawyer Milloy.

Only time will tell how successful this off season has been, but it has given Bills fans more optimism then they have had in a decade. With that said, I would have liked them to address the receiver position across from Stevie Johnson. I think our WR position coupled with Fitz being just an average QB at best, unless he proves he can be consistent, might be our downfall on the offense, especially if injuries start mounting like they have the past few year. We have Johnson who in most peoples opinion is a borderline #1, or a very good #2 and a bunch of hopefuls with potential.

The bolded is pure conjecture.

The Bills were unable to make Winfield a market-level offer, because TD had squandered his salary cap space on Troy Vincent and Lawyer Milloy.

In your thread below, you said this:

The reason Antoine Winfield didn't become a success story for the Bills was because of their strategy of allowing their best DBs to go first-contract-and-out.

So which is it? The Bills employed the "strategy" of letting DBs go one and done or they just didn't have the cap room for Winfield?

The Bills made Winfield an offer and it just wasn't enough to make him stay. The chance to play for Cottrell again was the biggest reason he chose Minny. The Jets offered him just as much as the Vikings. Not paying a player above the market price is different that not making an offer. Winfield would have stayed if the Bills offered him a lot more money. Some might think that's a good thing to do. But when you don't have that franchise QB and you're many more players than a good CB away from the SB, it makes no sense at all to do so.

Regardless, Winfield "chose" to leave Buffalo. It was his decision entirely. I know that simple fact doesn't fit your revisionist line of thinking but so be it.

GO BILLS!!!

In your thread below, you said this:

So which is it? The Bills employed the "strategy" of letting DBs go one and done or they just didn't have the cap room for Winfield?

The Bills made Winfield an offer and it just wasn't enough to make him stay. The chance to play for Cottrell again was the biggest reason he chose Minny. The Jets offered him just as much as the Vikings. Not paying a player above the market price is different that not making an offer. Winfield would have stayed if the Bills offered him a lot more money. Some might think that's a good thing to do. But when you don't have that franchise QB and you're many more players than a good CB away from the SB, it makes no sense at all to do so.

Regardless, Winfield "chose" to leave Buffalo. It was his decision entirely. I know that simple fact doesn't fit your revisionist line of thinking but so be it.

GO BILLS!!!

The Bills made Winfield an offer? That's news to me. Do you have a link to support your claim?

When TD signed Lawyer Milloy and Troy Vincent to their expensive contracts, he knew he was using up the cap room he would have needed to extend Winfield. The decision to add those two players was also a decision to let Winfield go first-contract-and-out.

Edit: I just did a search, and found the following text from Bills Daily.

Thursday, September 4th, 2003

Winfield Talks Over: The Bills were able to sign Lawyer Milloy after talks with Antoine Winfield broke down over the weekend. The money that was available to use on a contract extension for Winfield went to Milloy. Winfield said the two sides talked last week as the Bills did offer him an extension but the two sides can't agree. They may talk some more during the season but nothing will get done before next offseason with Winfeild likely testing the free agent waters.

The Bills did not make Winfield a credible offer when he hit free agency, and elected to stop negotiating with him a year before he became a free agent. It's not clear how serious they were about keeping him before TD decided to use the salary cap space on Lawyer Milloy instead.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

Yea, too bad Nix didn't start that rebuild on the O line two years ago...

Anyway, like other posters have already mentioned, a better option at #2 WR and tight end.

The Bills are still lacking that develop from scratch rookie QB. Still not happy with Pears and Ubrik at RT and RG, unless they move Hairston to RT.

They have been building the team the last two years very nicely. Urbik and Pears looked pretty solid last year early in the season. If/when Glenn solidifies himself at LT, you will probably get your wish of Hairston plying a lot of RT and spelling Glenn a series or two during the game his rookie season. The oline and Dline will be the strengths of this team now. So i guess it will just leave people to criticise that it wasn't done sooner.

The Bills made Winfield an offer? That's news to me. Do you have a link to support your claim?

When TD signed Lawyer Milloy and Troy Vincent to their expensive contracts, he knew he was using up the cap room he would have needed to extend Winfield. The decision to add those two players was also a decision to let Winfield go first-contract-and-out.

Edit: I just did a search, and found the following text from Bills Daily.

Thursday, September 4th, 2003

Winfield Talks Over: The Bills were able to sign Lawyer Milloy after talks with Antoine Winfield broke down over the weekend. The money that was available to use on a contract extension for Winfield went to Milloy. Winfield said the two sides talked last week as the Bills did offer him an extension but the two sides can't agree. They may talk some more during the season but nothing will get done before next offseason with Winfeild likely testing the free agent waters.

The Bills did not make Winfield a credible offer when he hit free agency, and elected to stop negotiating with him a year before he became a free agent. It's not clear how serious they were about keeping him before TD decided to use the salary cap space on Lawyer Milloy instead.

Yep. As is mentioned in the very article you linked. As to it not being "clear" about how serious they were, that's part of my point. They would have had to have been "more serious" than the Vikings OR the Jets. In other words, they would have had to "overpay" for his services. If he were the reincarnation of Deion Sanders I could see the point. But Winfield, while good, was never in that class.

And, as I previously mentioned and you choose to dismiss, playing for Cottrell again was a big reason he chose Minny.

Winfield "chose" to leave Buffalo. Just like he "chose" to not accept their extension offer. It was his "choice" the entire time.

But you go right on believing the Bills have a "strategy" of letting DBs go one and done on their contracts and that teams have the ultimate control over whether or not they retain/lose their UFAs.

GO BILLS!!!

Yep. As is mentioned in the very article you linked. As to it not being "clear" about how serious they were, that's part of my point. They would have had to have been "more serious" than the Vikings OR the Jets. In other words, they would have had to "overpay" for his services. If he were the reincarnation of Deion Sanders I could see the point. But Winfield, while good, was never in that class.

And, as I previously mentioned and you choose to dismiss, playing for Cottrell again was a big reason he chose Minny.

Winfield "chose" to leave Buffalo. Just like he "chose" to not accept their extension offer. It was his "choice" the entire time.

But you go right on believing the Bills have a "strategy" of letting DBs go one and done on their contracts and that teams have the ultimate control over whether or not they retain/lose their UFAs.

GO BILLS!!!

Your post contains a great deal of speculation presented as fact. To address the confusion you are creating, I will separate what we know from what is merely conjectured.

What we know:

- The Bills and Winfield had been discussing an extension

- The Bills broke off those talks a year before Winfield hit free agency

- The Bills used the Winfield salary cap money on Lawyer Milloy

The speculation you have presented as fact:

- The Bills' offer to Winfield was comparable to the offers he would receive a year later from the Vikings and Jets

- The Bills could only have retained Winfield by overpaying for his services

- Locking up Winfield a year before he hit free agency, at a price similar to what he later received from the Vikings, was never an option.

If you have links to support anything from the latter list, by all means do so.

Your post contains a great deal of speculation presented as fact. To address the confusion you are creating, I will separate what we know from what is merely conjectured.

What we know:

- The Bills and Winfield had been discussing an extension

- The Bills broke off those talks a year before Winfield hit free agency

- The Bills used the Winfield salary cap money on Lawyer Milloy

The speculation you have presented as fact:

- The Bills' offer to Winfield was comparable to the offers he would receive a year later from the Vikings and Jets

- The Bills could only have retained Winfield by overpaying for his services

- Locking up Winfield a year before he hit free agency, at a price similar to what he later received from the Vikings, was never an option.

If you have links to support anything from the latter list, by all means do so.

It's common practice for teams to terminate contract discussions during the regular season. Especially after the player declines to accept. Happens all the time. That's beside the point.

The point is, it was Winfield's choice to accept or decline the Bills' extension offer. He chose not to. He chose to take Minny's offer over the Jets' when he became a free agent. That is not speculation, that is what transpired.

Playing for Cottrell again was a big reason he chose to go to Minny. Do you honestly believe if the Bills (or the Jets for that matter) simply matched Minny's offer, he'd have re-signed with us? You think we (and the Jets for that matter) wouldn't have had to pay a premium to mitigate his desire to play for Cottrell?

He chose to leave. That's not speculation. That is what transpired.

Having the choice to play for another team is what being a free agent is all about. It's when the player gets to choose whom he plays for next. I'm pretty sure you know that. But that doesn't support your theory (speculation) that the Bills deliberately employed a strategy to let players go one and done on their contracts so you ignore it.

The only speculation I make is saying that we would have had to pay well over market price to retain Winfield's services. I submit that would have made sense if he was the second coming of Deion Sanders. While that is speculation, it is informed speculation.

GO BILLS!!!

It's common practice for teams to terminate contract discussions during the regular season. Especially after the player declines to accept. Happens all the time. That's beside the point.

The point is, it was Winfield's choice to accept or decline the Bills' extension offer. He chose not to. He chose to take Minny's offer over the Jets' when he became a free agent. That is not speculation, that is what transpired.

Playing for Cottrell again was a big reason he chose to go to Minny. Do you honestly believe if the Bills (or the Jets for that matter) simply matched Minny's offer, he'd have re-signed with us? You think we (and the Jets for that matter) wouldn't have had to pay a premium to mitigate his desire to play for Cottrell?

He chose to leave. That's not speculation. That is what transpired.

Having the choice to play for another team is what being a free agent is all about. It's when the player gets to choose whom he plays for next. I'm pretty sure you know that. But that doesn't support your theory (speculation) that the Bills deliberately employed a strategy to let players go one and done on their contracts so you ignore it.

The only speculation I make is saying that we would have had to pay well over market price to retain Winfield's services. I submit that would have made sense if he was the second coming of Deion Sanders. While that is speculation, it is informed speculation.

GO BILLS!!!

The Bills terminated contract negotiations with Winfield because they'd used his salary cap room on Lawyer Milloy instead. It's quite possible that, had they continued those negotiations, they could have signed him for a salary equal to or less than the money the Vikings offered him a year later. You may well be right about saying he wanted to play for Cottrell. On the other hand, it's human nature to value a bird in the hand more than two in the bush. Had the Bills shown Winfield the kind of money he'd see a year later (from the Jets and Vikings), I think he would have taken it. And would have justified it to himself with the thought that his financial future was on the line, and that the Bills' offer had secured it.

Once the Bills signed Milloy, they lacked the salary cap space to seriously compete for Winfield's services. The decision to let Winfield go first-contract-and-out was made a year before Winfield hit free agency.

This off-season was outstanding--re-signed players we needed, FA was a dream come true and the draft was very good (I reserve the right to disagree with the Graham pick until proven otherwise). My only complaint was not bringing in a legit #2 WR. I know there weren't many out there (in FA) but I think we could have addressed the need (in FA or via the draft). If that's all I can find to complain about, that speaks volumes about how well things went. As for QB, we're building a solid foundation for whoever we end up drafting next year to be our franchise QB. Our future is brighter than that of many other teams.

Edited by biggerdaddynj

The Bills terminated contract negotiations with Winfield because they'd used his salary cap room on Lawyer Milloy instead. It's quite possible that, had they continued those negotiations, they could have signed him for a salary equal to or less than the money the Vikings offered him a year later. You may well be right about saying he wanted to play for Cottrell. On the other hand, it's human nature to value a bird in the hand more than two in the bush. Had the Bills shown Winfield the kind of money he'd see a year later (from the Jets and Vikings), I think he would have taken it. And would have justified it to himself with the thought that his financial future was on the line, and that the Bills' offer had secured it.

Once the Bills signed Milloy, they lacked the salary cap space to seriously compete for Winfield's services. The decision to let Winfield go first-contract-and-out was made a year before Winfield hit free agency.

Your own linked article says otherwise. They were able to sign Malloy AFTER talks with Winfield broke down. Not vice-versa.

Winfield chose not to accept the Bills offer.

Winfield would have been foolish not to test FAgency.

And the Bills would have been foolish to overpay.

Regardless, it was Winfield's choice all along. That's the entire point.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

This off-season was outstanding--re-signed players we needed, FA was a dream come true and the draft was very good (I reserve the right to disagree with the Graham pick until proven otherwise). My only complaint was not bringing in a legit #2 WR. I know there weren't many out there (in FA) but I think we could have addressed the need (in FA or via the draft). If that's all I can find to complain about, that speaks volumes about how well things went. As for QB, we're building a solid foundation for whoever we end up drafting next year to be our franchise QB. Our future is brighter than that of many other teams.

You're one of the few other people here who seem to see the Bills as headed this way, whether or not Fitz has a good year.

McGee when healed up is a damn good CB. Florence was getting burnt way to often last yr. He did make some good plays but too many bad ones. Plus McGee was keep for cheap this yr. This might be one of those things where they keep McGee over Florence because he is a pro on and off the field and can show the younger guys how to be a pro.

I like the choice Buddy made.

I cant find fault in any of the moves this offseason. It has made me very excitied about the upcoming season because they have gotten better. On paper at least.

But his plan failed. What was the next plan? He wasn't the only option out there.

The next plan was to draft one, which they did. What they didn't do (thankfully) is panic and overpay a guy like Manningham.

I would have liked to see a starting caliber receiver picked up, but the Bills did such a good job filling other holes I can't consider that to be "something they did wrong". It's only possible to fill so many gaps in one season.

What I DO think they did wrong, was the drafting of TJ Graham with the 3rd pick. No I'm not a pro scout, but what I have seen from this guy is all bad. Very poor hands, an inability to deal with contact (Jamming, vying for position on deep balls, or catching the ball over the middle). There were some really good WR prospects still available at the time IMO, and they traded up for this guy. He potentially could have gone undrafted according to some analysts.

I have absolutely loved what Nix has done other than this one move though, so by no means am I trashing him. Hopefully he just knows something about Graham that the rest of the world does not...

The next plan was to draft one, which they did. What they didn't do (thankfully) is panic and overpay a guy like Manningham.

+1000

That was a fear for me. Manningham is so overrated having played with Nix, Cruz, and Manning. He is average at best, and more suited as a 3rd option for some team IMO. Just like he was in NY.

I would have loved Garcon, who wasn't overly expensive.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

They have been building the team the last two years very nicely. Urbik and Pears looked pretty solid last year early in the season. If/when Glenn solidifies himself at LT, you will probably get your wish of Hairston plying a lot of RT and spelling Glenn a series or two during the game his rookie season. The oline and Dline will be the strengths of this team now. So i guess it will just leave people to criticise that it wasn't done sooner.

That O line is no where near a team strength...

Center Eric wood has spent the last two seasons ending up on the IR, I love the guy but the team has a dire need at depth at the center position. The Bills drafted some late round picks to fill in for depth at OT & Center, but what happened to the last batch of later round O line players the Bills drafted?

The right side of that O line is still waiver wire castoffs from other teams. Since the Bills employed a fast paced short passing game last season that has Fitz getting rid of the ball in 2 seconds or under, it simply wasn't that difficult to hold a pass block last year. Still Fitz took a great deal of pressures and hits after he got rid of the ball. The second half of last season Fitz had some difficulty in keeping that offense rolling. The WR injuries & line injuries to the LT and center positions were the killers. Most teams had already figured out that the Bills didn't have a good mid- range passing game and their deep passing game was basically nonexistent. This made defending that bills offense so much easier then a normal NFL offense that can throw short, mid and deep passes.

Now that teams know what to expect in Chan Gailey's offense the Bills need to open up the mid to deep passing game to change things up. Probably why they drafted speedster WR TJ Graham. In order to do that the QB will need a pocket to step up into and more time in the pocket to take the 5-7 step drops. when the Bills do that the OT's will need to hold their blocks longer then 2 seconds, possibly 3-5 seconds.

.With a rookie at LT and 2nd year player behind him, and that right side being what it is.... I just don't see that Bills having much success at anything other then that short passing game again this year. So yea, Nix should have started rebuilding that O line 3 year ago, and just about now they would be seasoned enough to play very well.