Saints shouldn't give brees a long term deal

1. The main goal of a team should be winning the Super Bowl

2. The Saints stand NO CHANCE of winning the Super Bowl without Brees.

3. With Brees under center, they should always be a contender for the championship - even with the bounty scandal, etc.

Replacing a quarterback like Drew Brees is easier said that done.

Just ask Buffalo, who has been trying to replace Jim Kelly for over a decade. Or Miami, who is still trying to replace Marino (good luck with Tannehill).

Denver finally got it. After messing around with Brian Griese, Jay Cutler and Tim Tebow - they finally threw all their money at an injured legend with only 3-4 years left in the tank (at best). Why? Because it's better to be a Super Bowl contender for 3-4 years than spend DECADES trying to find a decent franchise quarterback.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody has got to stand their ground though !!

When does it stop ? How high do the contracts go for goodness sake ? After all it is a game & the priorities in the US are a little wacked when a athlete makes more money than the Pres. (not that he's worth more money & should be fired) but you get what i'm saying ..

I don't get the entire getting pissed b/c they put the franchise tag on a player either ?? My God they are getting MILLIONS OF $$ to play ONE YEAR ..

What's to get pissed at ? I'll trade them one year they can set brick & live off of $40 K & i'll take their measly $7 mil franchise pay :wallbash: !!!!

These prima donna's are turning into a bunch of cry baby whiners !! :cry:

When 70,000 people show up to watch you do your job, ask for a raise.

Sorry Bud But good football players make alot of money change hands. Call them crazy for asking for a bit of the pie

I'd pay Brees. The entire Payton system with or without the man running it is based on the passing attack.

I just wouldn't make it a long deal that guarantees the cliff into cap hell is steep when the team needs to rebuild.

I think the Saints have just as legitimate a shot at the playoffs as they did any other year, regardless of coaches. The team retained plenty of its firepower to make some noise.

I'd pay Brees. The entire Payton system with or without the man running it is based on the passing attack.

I just wouldn't make it a long deal that guarantees the cliff into cap hell is steep when the team needs to rebuild.

I think the Saints have just as legitimate a shot at the playoffs as they did any other year, regardless of coaches. The team retained plenty of its firepower to make some noise.

if the reports are true, the problem is the opposite of what you worry about. he wants the money now, and they want to push it back. pushing it back kills them down the line. they just dont have the room to get him the money this fast.

Exactly and if he were "mr good guy team player" he'd take it right now instead of trying to hold them hostage in their time of need.

The guy is a top tier player at the premier position in the league and yet he's selfish if he wants to be paid as such? I'm guessing you're a "team player" at your job and when you go in to negotiate your salary you lowball yourself because you want to be considered a nice guy?

And they have no "time of need." It's not like after Katrina when a natural disaster hit the area - these woes are self induced. If anything he should demand more money to stay with this organization which has a stigma over it and will for years.

I think this is much ado about nothing really. My guess is he'll come in at 20m per for the first three years.

I say that not knowing what constraints the Saints (constraints of the Saints?) may have in terms of cap room, etc.

GO BILLS!!!

1. The main goal of a team should be winning the Super Bowl

2. The Saints stand NO CHANCE of winning the Super Bowl without Brees.

3. With Brees under center, they should always be a contender for the championship - even with the bounty scandal, etc.

Replacing a quarterback like Drew Brees is easier said that done.

Just ask Buffalo, who has been trying to replace Jim Kelly for over a decade. Or Miami, who is still trying to replace Marino (good luck with Tannehill).

Denver finally got it. After messing around with Brian Griese, Jay Cutler and Tim Tebow - they finally threw all their money at an injured legend with only 3-4 years left in the tank (at best). Why? Because it's better to be a Super Bowl contender for 3-4 years than spend DECADES trying to find a decent franchise quarterback.

Really? What happens when Manning inevitably goes down next year?

They would have been much better off doing what Polian masterfully did in Indy: Find the worst possible QB, leave him in there until they are guaranteed the first pick next year and PRESTO!, you've got your next franchise QB (presumed Barkley).

Worst thread ever. Brees is awesome hands down. Not much more to say than that. Pay him, he won a Superbowl and looks amazing week after week.

Jeff Hostetler won a Superbowl. Mark Rypien won a Superbowl. Lots of QBs won one Superbowl. And Drew Brees won one too...three years ago!!!

(Goin' on four years ago)

Now, as age sets in and causes the inevitable decline in ability, the a-hole wants to cash in on prior achievements and be the leagues highest paid QB - in what will likely be his final NFL contract and last shot at a piece of the ever-growing NFL revenue pie - and he's throwing a hissy fit because the Saints aren't fawning all over him, telling him how delicious his sh_t tastes...

"Well, I think there's certainly what I think would be an appropriate number for my situation. It's not anything I think is unreasonable or anything like that, " said Brees, who pointed out that he played out his entire six-year deal with the Saints at $10 million per year from 2006 through 2011.

Although Brees conceded that he signed that deal and was grateful the Saints offered it at a time when there were major concerns about the health of his shoulder, he did suggest that the Saints were getting him at a bargain rate.

Anyone (besides me and Joe D) see the irony here?

This piece of crap now wants his own last big piece of the pie, yet at the same time gives no consideration at all to the simplest basic health care concerns of all the struggling, ailing, pre-collective bargaining agreement old-time players on whose broken backs the $10 billion-per-year enterprise called the modern NFL was built - the very guys that made today's lucrative deals possible.

The Saints would be crazy to go any higher than the $16.3 million one-year offer they've already tendered to this jerk.

I think this is much ado about nothing really. My guess is he'll come in at 20m per for the first three years.

I say that not knowing what constraints the Saints (constraints of the Saints?) may have in terms of cap room, etc.

GO BILLS!!!

Agree on all fronts even with knowing the cap situation this year (though not 100% sure longterm)

if the reports are true, the problem is the opposite of what you worry about. he wants the money now, and they want to push it back. pushing it back kills them down the line. they just dont have the room to get him the money this fast.

Not only does it kill them down the line,unless is guaranteed backloaded money Brees would be nuts to take it. Either way the Saints seem in trouble. Use your influence there and tell them they can take any 3 Bills quarterbacks for Brees straight across.

This kind of reminds me of Steve Young and the USFL. Young being a lawyer and all accepted if I'm correct his outrageous salary to be paid over 25 years. Of course there was no cap. Although the USFL collapsed, Young still gets his checks.

Whereas they'd be restored to sanity to go into the season starting Chase Daniel at QB?

And stand a chance to draft their next franchise QB next year? I hate thinking like this but they are definately a team with some rebuilding going on...

Whereas they'd be restored to sanity to go into the season starting Chase Daniel at QB?

Well, if you put it that way...

How many morons insisted that we'd be better off losing every game just to have that opportunity to draft Andy Luck and hope he doesn't suck as an NFL QB?

And how many morons insisted that they'd be willing to trade every Bills 2012 draft pick (which turned out to be Stephon Gilmore, Cordy Glenn ,T.J. Graham, Nigel Bradham, Zebrie Sanders, Tank Carder, Mark Asper, and John Potter) for the chance to draft RGIII - again, with nothing to go on except their own hope that he won't suck in a Bills uniform?

The Saints are going to suck this season - with or without that little piece of crap Drew Brees.

Jeff Hostetler won a Superbowl. Mark Rypien won a Superbowl. Lots of QBs won one Superbowl. And Drew Brees won one too...three years ago!!!

(Goin' on four years ago)

Now, as age sets in and causes the inevitable decline in ability, the a-hole wants to cash in on prior achievements and be the leagues highest paid QB - in what will likely be his final NFL contract and last shot at a piece of the ever-growing NFL revenue pie - and he's throwing a hissy fit because the Saints aren't fawning all over him, telling him how delicious his sh_t tastes...

"Well, I think there's certainly what I think would be an appropriate number for my situation. It's not anything I think is unreasonable or anything like that, " said Brees, who pointed out that he played out his entire six-year deal with the Saints at $10 million per year from 2006 through 2011.

Although Brees conceded that he signed that deal and was grateful the Saints offered it at a time when there were major concerns about the health of his shoulder, he did suggest that the Saints were getting him at a bargain rate.

Anyone (besides me and Joe D) see the irony here?

This piece of crap now wants his own last big piece of the pie, yet at the same time gives no consideration at all to the simplest basic health care concerns of all the struggling, ailing, pre-collective bargaining agreement old-time players on whose broken backs the $10 billion-per-year enterprise called the modern NFL was built - the very guys that made today's lucrative deals possible.

The Saints would be crazy to go any higher than the $16.3 million one-year offer they've already tendered to this jerk.

5,500 yards 46 Td's. 7 more Td's in postseason. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED! Those are Drew's 2011 stats I mean come on Drew Brees is not just another joe schmo

If Peyton, Rodgers, Brees ask for the farm they get it. Qb's get top billing I didn't make the rules. And for next season

Brees wins 10 games in his sleep.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Honestly, lost in the brew ha-ha over Brees, is that Tom Benson, the team owner, was really bummed that Katrina kept him from moving his team out of New Orleans...I wouldn't be surprised if he still has a back-burner desire to move them to Los Angeles, or San Antonio.

Also, and I may have this wrong, but didn't Brees restructure his contract twice, to help the Saints salary cap situation...I recall the Saints, on more than one occasion, assuring that Brees would be taken care of.

I hope that all you who think the Saints paying Brees are opposed to the Bills giving Fred Jackson a raise.

Bree's definitely deserves a contract locking him in, it doesn't matter that they took a gamble on him. That gamble payed off incredibly I mean lets be honest, what are the saint's without Drew Bree's? For goodness sake we witnessed the freakin Saint's win a superbowl....C'Mon Mannnn

Honestly, lost in the brew ha-ha over Brees, is that Tom Benson, the team owner, was really bummed that Katrina kept him from moving his team out of New Orleans...I wouldn't be surprised if he still has a back-burner desire to move them to Los Angeles, or San Antonio.

Also, and I may have this wrong, but didn't Brees restructure his contract twice, to help the Saints salary cap situation...I recall the Saints, on more than one occasion, assuring that Brees would be taken care of.

I hope that all you who think the Saints paying Brees are opposed to the Bills giving Fred Jackson a raise.

Bensons locked into tons of superdome leases,Just made major renovations, is buying up the land around it (benson towers for instance) to build a massive entertainment hub, and just bought the hornets, who also play next door in the new orleans arena. He's banking money like crazy and has a huge waiting list for season tickets. This is no longer a situation where he can't sell out the dome. He's not making more money somewhere else. Come on.

Saints restructures and I believe both of brees have been turning salary to signing bonus- a perk to brees not a favor to the team (although it helps cap management)

Edited by NoSaint

Now, if there's one ex-San Diego Charger everyone would love Buddy Nix to grab, it would be Drew Brees. I know it's a pipe dream, but who wouldn't be excited about having Drew Brees as the Bills starting QB?

Brees has broken Marino's passing record, and has been an elite passer in the league for years. Not only did Brees help turn the Saints into a Superbowl contender, but he helped turned them into a Superbowl champion.