Saints shouldn't give brees a long term deal

When you are in the position to have one of the best 2 or 3 QBs in the league, you make the mold fit him like the Colts did with Manning for a decade and a half and won 12 games almost every year.

brees is the PROTOTYPE for the bills. mobile/athletic, fast processor of info, accurate. if you wanted to see chans dream qb, i imagine its pretty darn close to drew brees.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JMO, but it'd be an absolutely stupid personnel move for the Saints to give a $20M-per-year contract to a height-challenged 33 year-old QB, who will be 34 or 35 before his scandal-tainted team is once again in a position to contend for anything :wacko:

(Not to mention that he also happens to be a little piece of crap.)

JMO, but it'd be an absolutely stupid personnel move for the Saints to give a $20M-per-year contract to a height-challenged 33 year-old QB, who will be 34 or 35 before his scandal-tainted team is once again in a position to contend for anything :wacko:

(Not to mention that he also happens to be a little piece of crap.)

Agreed. This is a rock and a hard place. Both would be better off parting ways. Let Arizona overpay for him, or Minnesota. He can help win ball games but you have to have a good pass protecting line, and plenty of pass catchers. Someone said do like they did with Manning. Well, it takes time to develop that system, they play in the pass happy NFCS and he wont fit every team. The ADCM would destroy him, for example.

So I hear brees is on local radio in big easy yapping about how saints won't make him highest paid QB, he won't report until he gets a deal and saints should be all over him given their situation.

Well I disagree and I think he's being a selfish punk. That argument can be flopped over and one can say he should sign the deal being offered because its the right thing to do for the team. This guy who everyone thinks is pure as the driven snow is trying to take advantage of the saints at a desperate time.

Look at it from their perspective. This year they know will be a write off. So all that money brees wants will be wasted in 2012 Looking to 2013 when they get their coach back and some hope there'll likely be a rebuilding element. he'll be 34 at the start and 35 at playof time. This team needs money and cap space to rebuild, and with Brees demanding to be highest paid player he severely hampers their capacity.

Not that I'm a saints fan, but because breeis being such a selfish ass, I hope they hold their ground and do what's economically rational and right for that team in the longer run, and make him play this season on the 1 year franchise tag. .

He means more to that franchise and fan base than almost any other athlete in any sport. Add to that, Franchise qbs get paid because they win championships. Simple as that.

Agreed. This is a rock and a hard place. Both would be better off parting ways. Let Arizona overpay for him, or Minnesota. He can help win ball games but you have to have a good pass protecting line, and plenty of pass catchers. Someone said do like they did with Manning. Well, it takes time to develop that system, they play in the pass happy NFCS and he wont fit every team. The ADCM would destroy him, for example.

i think you very much exagerate the situation.

He means more to that franchise and fan base than almost any other athlete in any sport. Add to that, Franchise qbs get paid because they win championships. Simple as that.

They won one championship, single not plural, period. Manning meant more to a team/fan base than any player in the NFL and colts did the right thing moving on when they saw the writing on the wall. Not saying saints need to completely part ways like colts, but stick to their guns on a rational contract with the future in mind is what they ought to do. All the money he wants this year will be wasted because theyre not going anywhere.

They won one championship, single not plural, period. Manning meant more to a team/fan base than any player in the NFL and colts did the right thing moving on when they saw the writing on the wall. Not saying saints need to completely part ways like colts, but stick to their guns on a rational contract with the future in mind is what they ought to do. All the money he wants this year will be wasted because theyre not going anywhere.

what would you consider not going anywhere? No Championship? no playoffs? below .500?

There's no point in quantifying it, this year is a write off for them.

So why are they even playing the games then? If the seasons a write off cause the coach has to sit out with a couple of players?

you Know, Manning (Peyton) only won one championship too..........

I kind of agree with 6 pack that him demanding $24-$25 million a year & being the highest paid qb is a little out of line. With that being said, I think him & his agent are looking at it like he totally outplayed his last contract(I think it was 5 years, 10 million per year), delivered the Saints their first super bowl & has the best numbers of any qb in the league over the last 5 years. I think now he wants to be compensated for all that. You would think 18-19 million would be good enough for him though. He is kind of being greedy at this stage of the game.

Yeah, that kind of how it works.

How does all that make him greedy?

Wow a lot of haters in this thread. Nevermind he's the most prolific QB in the league the past several years. And of course the bounty scandal reflects back on him. Jesus you guys are clueless.

Agreed. Pay the man what he wants & save the hate for someone who deserves it like Peyton Gump. :pirate:

I don't remember any public outcry when Manning walked out the door. Only unbridled excitement at his rookie replacement's arrival.

The Colts dumped Manning because they were convinced he was done physically. The 3 neck surgeries and the unanticipated missing of the season were "the writing on the wall". What is the writing on the wall for Brees?

First and foremost, I agree Brees is an elite player and should be paid commensurately. But that aside, he has really started coming across like a douche. I don't think he's going to win any battles for public sympathy.

The best way to run a franchise is to piss off your best asset

Somebody has got to stand their ground though !!

When does it stop ? How high do the contracts go for goodness sake ? After all it is a game & the priorities in the US are a little wacked when a athlete makes more money than the Pres. (not that he's worth more money & should be fired) but you get what i'm saying ..

I don't get the entire getting pissed b/c they put the franchise tag on a player either ?? My God they are getting MILLIONS OF $$ to play ONE YEAR ..

What's to get pissed at ? I'll trade them one year they can set brick & live off of $40 K & i'll take their measly $7 mil franchise pay :wallbash: !!!!

These prima donna's are turning into a bunch of cry baby whiners !! :cry:

Drew Brees IS the Saints entire time and especially now he holds leverage. I don't think he's being selfish at all. The dude is looking out for his future so history doesn't repeat itself. From what I remember, he signed a franchise tender the year he hurt his shoulder and when he hit free agency no one wanted him. So what if he does get hurt again next year while he has only 1 year left on his contract. Do you think he's going to want to go through that again? I don't blame him at all for not wanting to sign the franchise tender.

He's looking out for his future and IMO is the best or 2nd best QB in the league. Drew Brees is 98% of that offense and is probably one of the most valuable players to his respective team so I can't blame him for wanting to be paid like the best. Saints have no leverage here at all especially with all the stuff that went on in their offseason. Pay the man.

Edited by FleaMoulds80

Drew Brees IS the Saints entire time and especially now he holds leverage. I don't think he's being selfish at all. The dude is looking out for his future so history doesn't repeat itself. From what I remember, he signed a franchise tender the year he hurt his shoulder and when he hit free agency no one wanted him. So what if he does get hurt again next year while he has only 1 year left on his contract. Do you think he's going to want to go through that again? I don't blame him at all for not wanting to sign the franchise tender.

He's looking out for his future and IMO is the best or 2nd best QB in the league. Drew Brees is 98% of that offense and is probably one of the most valuable players to his respective team so I can't blame him for wanting to be paid like the best. Saints have no leverage here at all especially with all the stuff that went on in their offseason. Pay the man.

Who do you blame more for the impasse in Drew Brees' contract extension talks?

• 18% Drew Brees
  • 82% The Saints

Seems like most of the country agrees with you and I.

(ESPN POLL, BOUT 17k VOTES SO FAR)

Somebody has got to stand their ground though !!

When does it stop ? How high do the contracts go for goodness sake ? After all it is a game & the priorities in the US are a little wacked when a athlete makes more money than the Pres. (not that he's worth more money & should be fired) but you get what i'm saying ..

I don't get the entire getting pissed b/c they put the franchise tag on a player either ?? My God they are getting MILLIONS OF $$ to play ONE YEAR ..

What's to get pissed at ? I'll trade them one year they can set brick & live off of $40 K & i'll take their measly $7 mil franchise pay :wallbash: !!!!

These prima donna's are turning into a bunch of cry baby whiners !! :cry:

I can't tell if this is a serious post, or if you haven't paid attention to last 75 years of American Sports History.