Saints shouldn't give brees a long term deal

+1

Brees was the lynchpin to changing the fortunes of a franchise that spent 40 years in the basement. He's not only the unquestioned leader of the Saints but has been public figure #1 in his city while it recovered from the worst disaster any US city endured in a century. Brees is worth the entire salary cap all by himself for what he has meant to New Orleans.

Do you think the Saints would trade him for the Human Chia Pet?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, and I am sure the Saints realize that. I wish some numebrs would leak out on his offering. I will be outraged when I find out that Brees was offered something like 5 yr 9mil/year and turned it down.

Seriously? Why? Sam Bradford is making $12 million and scraping the bottom of the NFL. Stafford is making $11.5.

Top-10 QB pay with bonuses is >$12 million. Why should Brees take 5 years at $9 million when the going rate is so much more?

Sanchez reportedly made a base of $14.75 in 2011, $17.25 with bonuses.

Brees has been a top 5 QB in the NFL for the past several years. Sanchez isn't fit to carry his jock right now. Why shouldn't Brees be paid like a top-5 QB?

The records Brees broke were impressive. But, even more impressive is the lack of defense allowed in todays NFL! This record will be broke in the next 2 years. All the talent that went to RB's and LB's in the last dozen years has went to WR. The DB's are the worst in NFL history and not just by design of rules. Brees prospered with better then average WR's and RB's who could catch. His game is good and he's among the best QB's of this era but he is not a first ballot HOF'er and may've not one at all and history will show Thia guy has prospered from more then just his ability.

Exactly and I'm sick of the media always taking his side of things, acting like no amount is too much. When in a strict cap era that obviously can't be the case

The media loves the QB. If this was about any big time D player it would be totally opposite.

Seriously? Why? Sam Bradford is making $12 million and scraping the bottom of the NFL. Stafford is making $11.5.

Top-10 QB pay with bonuses is >$12 million. Why should Brees take 5 years at $9 million when the going rate is so much more?

Sanchez reportedly made a base of $14.75 in 2011, $17.25 with bonuses.

Brees has been a top 5 QB in the NFL for the past several years. Sanchez isn't fit to carry his jock right now. Why shouldn't Brees be paid like a top-5 QB?

that's the worst thing about the NFL. Pay for what may be. Not for what was. The past uncapped drafting hurt a lot. No rookie deserves those contracts.

Brees should be thanking that team for taking him in as an injured free agent cast-off, letting him play under an offensive genius in coach Paton and surrounding him with top recieving talent. He totally let this go to his head, making it all about him and his money.

I hope saints do the right thing and stand their ground.

I can't believe what Im reading from you guys. No wonder you dont run NFL organizations. The Saints would be nothing without Brees. The City of New Orleans might have lost their team if Brees didnt come in and take that team to NFC title game his first year. He has done nothing but produce since hes been there and holds the single season passing record, Has more Super Bowls than Buffalo and is honestly the only chance the Saints have for success this year. Hes worth 18 Million this year because hes the face of the franchise, arguably the best QB in the league, and your offensive coordinator. The Saints would be insane not to work with him.

So I hear brees is on local radio in big easy yapping about how saints won't make him highest paid QB, he won't report until he gets a deal and saints should be all over him given their situation.

J_t_6_p- did Brees really say he had to be the highest paid QB?

I am not necessarily the worlds' biggest Drew Brees fan (though I got nothing against him) but it seems like the Saints have been talking, for a couple seasons now, about "taking care of" Brees financially. Let's face it, whether you like him or not, he is hugely responsible for making the Saints a relevant team...by all accounts, he has been a great teammate over the years, and represented the Saints well...not to mention his performance. I realize the Saints have other issues to deal with right now, but they should learn to walk and chew gum at the same time...whether Payton and Loomis were there or not, they knew this day was coming in dealing with Brees. It shouldn't be that difficult for them to figure it out. Unless they are being disingenuous about wanting Brees back. If that is the case, they should just tell him...

Also, I don't think that the 2012 season is necessarily a "write-off" for the Saints. It will be, however, if they don't get Brees back in the fold sooner than later.

J_t_6_p- did Brees really say he had to be the highest paid QB?

I am not necessarily the worlds' biggest Drew Brees fan (though I got nothing against him) but it seems like the Saints have been talking, for a couple seasons now, about "taking care of" Brees financially. Let's face it, whether you like him or not, he is hugely responsible for making the Saints a relevant team...by all accounts, he has been a great teammate over the years, and represented the Saints well...not to mention his performance. I realize the Saints have other issues to deal with right now, but they should learn to walk and chew gum at the same time...whether Payton and Loomis were there or not, they knew this day was coming in dealing with Brees. It shouldn't be that difficult for them to figure it out. Unless they are being disingenuous about wanting Brees back. If that is the case, they should just tell him...

Also, I don't think that the 2012 season is necessarily a "write-off" for the Saints. It will be, however, if they don't get Brees back in the fold sooner than later.

Good post.

And if they dont re-up Brees the fans are going to go nuts!!

Also, I wonder what some of you who are giving Brees **** would say if he were on the Bills and Ralph wouldnt step up and pay him?? Maybe Ralph is cheap?

This is more then likely his last contract, I ddont blame him one bit for tring to eek out as much as he can.

Was anybody on here against Freddy getting a new contract? I dont think there was. FJ arguably one of the best players on the BIlls. Drew Brees is arguably one of the best players on the Saints. Pay HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I hear brees is on local radio in big easy yapping about how saints won't make him highest paid QB, he won't report until he gets a deal and saints should be all over him given their situation.

Well I disagree and I think he's being a selfish punk. That argument can be flopped over and one can say he should sign the deal being offered because its the right thing to do for the team. This guy who everyone thinks is pure as the driven snow is trying to take advantage of the saints at a desperate time.

Look at it from their perspective. This year they know will be a write off. So all that money brees wants will be wasted in 2012 Looking to 2013 when they get their coach back and some hope there'll likely be a rebuilding element. he'll be 34 at the start and 35 at playof time. This team needs money and cap space to rebuild, and with Brees demanding to be highest paid player he severely hampers their capacity.

Not that I'm a saints fan, but because breeis being such a selfish ass, I hope they hold their ground and do what's economically rational and right for that team in the longer run, and make him play this season on the 1 year franchise tag. .

Why is Brees a selfish ass? He is without doubt a top 3 QB in the NFL, and has turned maybe the worst franchise in NFL history around and won a Super Bowl, something nobody ever visioned happening for the Saints. He is one of the classiest players in the league and should be compensated for his great play in the 5or 6 years he has been in the Big Easy. With the disastrous off season the Saints have had you would think they would want at least a little good news to pass on to their fans with the signing of the best player the franchise has ever had. Not to mention, what he has done for the city of New Orleans after Katrina went through. He could have went to sunny Miami and enjoyed life there but chose New Orleans because of what he thought he could bring to the community down there in that desperate time. Me personally would take him over any other QB in the NFL with the only exception being Aaron Rodgers,and that is only because of the age difference.

Link?

Everyone seems to know the numbers but nobody has proof

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7637479/drew-brees-new-orleans-saints-divided-money-first-three-years-sources-say

"Brees... is seeking a contract that averages $23 million per season for the first three years of his deal, sources told Schefter. But the Saints are offering Brees a five-year contract that averages $18 million a year"

Wow. I thought Bills fans prided themselves on football knowledge. I'd take Bree's in a second, easily a top 5 QB, great leader and fierce competitor. Bills could have won 11 games with Bree's at the helm. How could you not admire the guy?

Wake up bro they offered him 19 this year he wants 22

Were you in on the discussions? It is all hearsay, I heard he wanted 21, so I guess it depends what gossip station you listen to. Doesn't matter, he is a top 3 QB in the NFL and should be paid like it.

I have never got the all-love relationship with Brees. He's a tool, a douche, and scum. The guy got lucky someone signed him and he got the chance to play. At that time it was the Saints, a rebuilding team with weak pieces - McAllister, Bush, player 3, player 4, player 5...and maybe Kyle Turley if I remember right. What Brees is doing to this team is grabbing them in their junk and holding their hands down. The Saints cannot do anything without Brees but like pointed out above they cannot do anything with him.

edit, just screw the rest of what I had - this guy is a prick.

So, tell us how you really feel about someone you don't personally know.

I really couldn't disagree with this more. The guy just broke Marino's record for passing yards.. the NFL record! He has shown absolutely no signs of slowing down and continues to get better and better. The saints would be incredibly stupid not to make him the highest paid QB for the next 3 years. 29 teams in the NFL would kill to have Brees on their teams.

Just pay the man and continue to be a contender while he is your QB.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7637479/drew-brees-new-orleans-saints-divided-money-first-three-years-sources-say

"Brees... is seeking a contract that averages $23 million per season for the first three years of his deal, sources told Schefter. But the Saints are offering Brees a five-year contract that averages $18 million a year"

and again, ill note, it seems both sides are ok with 18 per for the duration, but the saints want it flat/backloaded, and brees wants the money asap (matching what his agent did for manning).

it would make him secure if an injury happened, and much more likely to see the end of the contract if they front load it. its much harder to fit in if they front load it though. i see both sides, and they will easily meet in the middle come july in my opinion.

Edited by NoSaint

Brees doesn't fit the Bills mould.

When you are in the position to have one of the best 2 or 3 QBs in the league, you make the mold fit him like the Colts did with Manning for a decade and a half and won 12 games almost every year.