Saints shouldn't give brees a long term deal

Bree's definitely deserves a contract locking him in, it doesn't matter that they took a gamble on him. That gamble payed off incredibly I mean lets be honest, what are the saint's without Drew Bree's? For goodness sake we witnessed the freakin Saint's win a superbowl....C'Mon Mannnn

What's with all of the apostrophes?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, lost in the brew ha-ha over Brees, is that Tom Benson, the team owner, was really bummed that Katrina kept him from moving his team out of New Orleans...I wouldn't be surprised if he still has a back-burner desire to move them to Los Angeles, or San Antonio.

Also, and I may have this wrong, but didn't Brees restructure his contract twice, to help the Saints salary cap situation...I recall the Saints, on more than one occasion, assuring that Brees be taken care of.

I hope that all you who think the Saints paying Brees are opposed to the Bills giving Fred Jackson a raise.

Brees wants a lot more then Fred did.

someone mentioned this a while back, oh ya it was me. He agrees

John Czarnekci-

to me, Brees is a product of the Saints’ remarkable offensive system, one designed by Payton to utilize his quick-strike strengths, his ability to roll out and his mind to remember every detail of the offense. Yes, he shattered Dan Marino’s single-season passing record with 5,476 yards in 2011, but I can’t honestly say that Brees is a better quarterback than Marino, whose physical skills and quick release put him on a different level. Brees could beat Marino in a foot race, but that’s about it.

someone mentioned this a while back, oh ya it was me. He agrees

John Czarnekci-

to me, Brees is a product of the Saints’ remarkable offensive system, one designed by Payton to utilize his quick-strike strengths, his ability to roll out and his mind to remember every detail of the offense. Yes, he shattered Dan Marino’s single-season passing record with 5,476 yards in 2011, but I can’t honestly say that Brees is a better quarterback than Marino, whose physical skills and quick release put him on a different level. Brees could beat Marino in a foot race, but that’s about it.

So Brees was a perfect fit for the system his coach wanted him to play in and he won a super bowl? What an ass

VERY interesting concept being argued in this which leaves a deal distant timewise, but depending on the ruling may change the power/dollars.

Condon is arguing that the SD tag counts against the total number of times brees has been franchised where as traditionally it has been how many times the same team has tagged a player. it will make a big difference in the final dollars for the tag this year depending which way is ruled. and a HUGE difference to next years final number should this continue to play out.

VERY interesting concept being argued in this which leaves a deal distant timewise, but depending on the ruling may change the power/dollars.

Condon is arguing that the SD tag counts against the total number of times brees has been franchised where as traditionally it has been how many times the same team has tagged a player. it will make a big difference in the final dollars for the tag this year depending which way is ruled. and a HUGE difference to next years final number should this continue to play out.

Interesting. I think Brees is the first player to be tagged by multiple teams.

Interesting. I think Brees is the first player to be tagged by multiple teams.

yea im pretty sure thats right

from what ive read in the CBA the language is a bit vague in that it doesnt specify clearly if its a number that follows the entirety of a career, or just the stint with the team.

Purely from a football standpoint, I think it's ridiculous to discount Brees' accomplishments.

Yes brees performed for the saints , but he wasn't nearly as effective for the chargers. As a matter of fact , there weren't too many naysayers when chargers decided to part ways with him in favor of Rivers. As much as saints benefitted from him, he benefitted from playing under a smart, aggressive, offensive minded coach like Payton, surrounding him with offesnive talent Imagine if bills had picked him up instead and he played under jauron? Much different perspective on Brees and his capability would have been formed. But to hear Brees tell it, it's all about him. He's the guy, saints did nothing for him, and they'd be'd crazy to not just give him a blank check to fill in. What's especially disturbing is how he cited their recent franchise issues as a factor they should get this deal done and pay him what he wants, no questions asked A true leader and team player, thankful for the opportunity, would be willing to make some concessions to help them out at a time like this.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Yes brees performed for the saints , but he wasn't nearly as effective for the chargers. As a matter of fact , there weren't too many naysayers when chargers decided to part ways with him in favor of Rivers. As much as saints benefitted from him, he benefitted from playing under a smart, aggressive, offensive minded coach like Payton, surrounding him with offesnive talent Imagine if bills had picked him up instead and he played under jauron? Much different perspective on Brees and his capability would have been formed. But to hear Brees tell it, it's all about him. He's the guy, saints did nothing for him, and they'd be'd crazy to not just give him a blank check to fill in. What's especially disturbing is how he cited their recent franchise issues as a factor they should get this deal done and pay him what he wants, no questions asked A true leader and team player, thankful for the opportunity, would be willing to make some concessions to help them out at a time like this.

:lol:

Just like teams are so ready and willing to take players interests into account. It's a business, Brees was WAY underpaid at 10/mil per (relative to performance and other players contracts, all players are overpaid but that is not the issue here) and he never held out. Now it is his turn to be paid in accordance to his ability.

Just like teams are so ready and willing to take players interests into account. It's a business, Brees was WAY underpaid at 10/mil per (relative to performance and other players contracts, all players are overpaid but that is not the issue here) and he never held out. Now it is his turn to be paid in accordance to his ability.

It was the best deal offered to a smallish QB with a season ending shoulder injury on his throwing arm side who'd been made expandable by a younger, stronger QB. He took it and got access to a brilliant offensive minded coach who surrounded him with talent and changed his fortunes for good. Now brees won't give an ounce of credit or thanks to anyone else and is just playing hard ball with a franchise under duress. Fine, saints should play hard ball in return and keep the franchise tag on him, no long term deal. Exactly my point in the threads title.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

It was the best deal offered to a smallish QB with a season ending shoulder injury on his throwing arm side who'd been made expandable by a younger, stronger QB. He took it and got access to a brilliant offensive minded coach who surrounded him with talent and changed his fortunes for good. Now brees won't give an ounce of credit or thanks to anyone else and is just playing hard ball with a franchise under duress. Fine, saints should play hard ball in return and keep the franchise tag on him, no long term deal. Exactly my point in the threads title.

Give it up.

You do realize his last two years in SD he had a qb rating in the mid 90s (100+ and 89 each season) about 65%, 7.5 ypa, 51 tds to 22 ints, plus a few rushing tds went to the probowl.... With the team going 21-11

And turned down the 10m a year deal from the chargers, to take one from the saints, despite the shoulder injury. You know, cause the saints system made him. At the time manning had a league record 14 per deal to put the dollars in perspective.

Both sides are playing hardball and it's their jobs to do the best they can. This is drews last deal and the saints have a cap. Until August it's still not a big worry.

Wake up man The last deal offered by chargers had only $2mm guaranteed yr1. The remainder was heavily incentive laden. He rightly took that as a vote of no confidence and looked around for something better. Chargers didn't pursue any further. writing was clearly on the wall. They were moving on from Brees and giving the ball to rivers.

Wake up man The last deal offered by chargers had only $2mm guaranteed yr1. The remainder was heavily incentive laden. He rightly took that as a vote of no confidence and looked around for something better. Chargers didn't pursue any further. writing was clearly on the wall. They were moving on from Brees and giving the ball to rivers.

He couldn't throw til the start of the next season. Even then it was an issue. Of course it was tough to get guaranteed dollars. Fact is they could've not franchised him the year before, or not offered him at all. Offering 5 years 50m, even without big promises was a good deal. I also enjoy how you neglected how good he played in that other system.