Saints shouldn't give brees a long term deal

So I hear brees is on local radio in big easy yapping about how saints won't make him highest paid QB, he won't report until he gets a deal and saints should be all over him given their situation.

Well I disagree and I think he's being a selfish punk. That argument can be flopped over and one can say he should sign the deal being offered because its the right thing to do for the team. This guy who everyone thinks is pure as the driven snow is trying to take advantage of the saints at a desperate time.

Look at it from their perspective. This year they know will be a write off. So all that money brees wants will be wasted in 2012 Looking to 2013 when they get their coach back and some hope there'll likely be a rebuilding element. he'll be 34 at the start and 35 at playof time. This team needs money and cap space to rebuild, and with Brees demanding to be highest paid player he severely hampers their capacity.

Not that I'm a saints fan, but because breeis being such a selfish ass, I hope they hold their ground and do what's economically rational and right for that team in the longer run, and make him play this season on the 1 year franchise tag. .

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way to run a franchise is to piss off your best asset

You can loss off your best asset if you knock out other teams assets. Really explains the bounty thing. They didn't,do it to win games, they did it so they didn't have to pay brees all that money!

Genius!

I have never got the all-love relationship with Brees. He's a tool, a douche, and scum. The guy got lucky someone signed him and he got the chance to play. At that time it was the Saints, a rebuilding team with weak pieces - McAllister, Bush, player 3, player 4, player 5...and maybe Kyle Turley if I remember right. What Brees is doing to this team is grabbing them in their junk and holding their hands down. The Saints cannot do anything without Brees but like pointed out above they cannot do anything with him.

edit, just screw the rest of what I had - this guy is a prick.

Edited by jboyst62

So I hear brees is on local radio in big easy yapping about how saints won't make him highest paid QB, he won't report until he gets a deal and saints should be all over him given their situation.

Well I disagree and I think he's being a selfish punk. That argument can be flopped over and one can say he should sign the deal being offered because its the right thing to do for the team. This guy who everyone thinks is pure as the driven snow is trying to take advantage of the saints at a desperate time.

Look at it from their perspective. This year they know will be a write off. So all that money brees wants will be wasted in 2012 Looking to 2013 when they get their coach back and some hope there'll likely be a rebuilding element. he'll be 34 at the start and 35 at playof time. This team needs money and cap space to rebuild, and with Brees demanding to be highest paid player he severely hampers their capacity.

Not that I'm a saints fan, but because breeis being such a selfish ass, I hope they hold their ground and do what's economically rational and right for that team in the longer run, and make him play this season on the 1 year franchise tag. .

That is one way to look at it. There should be some consideration to the fact that the Saints won a Superbowl and have gotten a lot better with him on the team. He was also the face of the franchise in the aftermath of Katrina and contributed time and money to assist in rebuilding NO. The Saints do need something for the fans to cheer for during the next twelve months. I would do a four year contract 18.75 million per season. That puts him slightly ahead of Brady at 18 mil and Sam Bradford at 18.4 mil. But the salary cap and the ability to rebuild is always an issue.

Why not pay him? His contract situation I doubt has anything to do with bountygate.

Is ownership that pissed he lost to Alex Smith and the 49ers?

The debate seems to hinge somewhere along how fast he gets paid. Him wanting heavily front loaded, saints wanting it more flat. I get the hesitation, but I think it'll work out much like manning (minus the injury)

he deserves a big pay day. he is that team. why should he just sign the deal put in front of him? if thats how every player did it the owners would be paying everyone pennies. its easy to say what a guy should do with his talent and his life. but if it were me id be doing the same thing. its a business and players often get cut and not paid when the team doesnt want them anymore and no one says the team should do the right thing and pay him. its not our money. pay the guy

He should be paid commensurate with his play. Even moreso since he's really all they have now.

Exactly, and I am sure the Saints realize that. I wish some numebrs would leak out on his offering. I will be outraged when I find out that Brees was offered something like 5 yr 9mil/year and turned it down.

He should be paid commensurate with his play. Even moreso since he's really all they have now.

Colston, graham, sproles, Thomas, Ingram, and all pro guard jahri Evans might disagree, atleast among offensive players.

Spags and numerous defenders may also object

Exactly, and I am sure the Saints realize that. I wish some numebrs would leak out on his offering. I will be outraged when I find out that Brees was offered something like 5 yr 9mil/year and turned it down.

Roughly the leaked numbers are an 18m average, but he wants to match manning who had 23 per the first 3 years with an 18 average over the life. Same agent, likely similar strategies.

I have to admit to being a Brees fan, so I'm biased here. That being said, why the hell wouldn't he make more than Sam Bradford? Better player, proven player, smarter QB, team leader, community-focused. Need more be said?

It might come down to the length of the term and the guaranteed money. If he is paid $18.75 million , as suggested by BRAWNDO, over the first three years, bringing him to age 37 and only a guaranteed number of $6 or $7 over the last year of the deal, it would make some sense. A 5 year with big guaranteed, however, is pretty dumb for a 35 year old qb who definitely relies on his athleticism.

Edited by VanCity

Colston, graham, sproles, Thomas, Ingram, and all pro guard jahri Evans might disagree, atleast among offensive players.

Spags and numerous defenders may also object

Roughly the leaked numbers are an 18m average, but he wants to match manning who had 23 per the first 3 years with an 18 average over the life. Same agent, likely similar strategies.

M. Williams got a good frontload. 20 million guaranteed year 1 and the same year2. Brees should get no less.