Will Hairston Start ?

Owen

Wow, attacking PTR? I usually agree with everything he writes.

This is the first time i've read something in this forum that I'm actally hoping is sarcasm. I am on a crusade to standardize a sarcasm font.

Edited by benderbender

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, this is not an attack on anybody, so calm down.....but to say Jason Peters was never considered a LT is not entirely accurate. If you check the BillsDaily archives there were some scouts who considered him the 2nd best LT prospect after Robert Gallery. They felt his skill set would make a position switch very possible, and some early mocks had him as a 3rd round pick. Why he went undrafted....who the hell knows, but the Bills were not the only team thinking this. Anyways, just a fun little tidbit not many remember hearing about. Carry on.

Oh, and as for a link just go to the BillsDaily draft page from the year Peters was drafted and you will see they had the Bills taking Peters in their mock.

I am hoping that Chris Hairston starts at LT and stays there... It would mean in the Bills eyes that they feel he can play the position well enough to let Glenn learn ... This is not to belittle Glenn... Glenn can learn to play all the other OL positions other than Center... With his size and experience playing the OL he can step in to back up anywhere... this could be a great advantage for the Bills... When ever a player steps up his playing ability it will improved those around him... I just hope Chris really improves this year... Go Bills

It all depends upon how they perform. If Hairston comes to camp beefed up as Pears did and mans up, the job is his to lose. If he doesn't, and if Glenn is a quick study, he'll lose it.

Wow, attacking PTR? I usually agree with everything he writes.

This was sarcasm, right?

Not meaning to dump on PTR, he posts some good stuff, and sometimes some ...strange stuff.

His mediocre play is my point. Only a homer will deny it.

Not just at you BPA, I'm becoming tired of the "you're a homer if you don't see it my way or agree with me!" line of argument.

What point does it serve, other than to highlight lack of other evidence or arguments?

I predict that Hairston pushes Pears out of that RT spot and never looks back......Hairston is an "OK" left tackle...he could legit be a pro bowler on the right tackle side......

Glenn is your opening day starter

Not to hijack the thread.....but I am really interested to see what happens with Ziebries Sanders......who I think fits perfectly as the swing OT. Im not sure where all this leaves Pears.

One thing is for sure...I feel MUCH better about our OT situation then I have in a long long time. Glenn is a fricken STUD

Agreed - and I'm still scratching my head a bit about the Pears $$ extension last year - anyone know how easy it is for the Bills to get out of that contract?

You consistently have bad takes.

I just think that Hairston has started 7 games against good NFL teams and played well. So he's produced in my opinion. What makes 90% of the people on this board think that with his youth and experience that he's not going to just get better and better. Is it the fact that Hairston was drafted in the 4th and Glenn was drafted in the 2nd???

I have been dogging Glenn for the past month for sure but I love the pick. I like it because I think he can be a dominating player at Guard. He's a bruiser in the run game but his lateral movement looks to struggle against pass rushers. He's not a starting left tackle based on what i've seen. He has good experience though and I think he would make a good back up LT.

(What i've seen is about 5 youtube videos but thats all us fans have)

Buddy says he can be a LT because the Bills need depth at the position. So it kills two birds with one stone. Get a very good back up at LT and a guy with the ability to be great at Guard.

Agreed - and I'm still scratching my head a bit about the Pears $$ extension last year - anyone know how easy it is for the Bills to get out of that contract?

bills are one of the more secretive teams regarding contract details but i read 3.85 million guaranteed. i don't see them cutting him this year, so obviously by next it would be pretty simple to get out of without much if any cap hit.

i thought it was a strange extension too, they obviously thought they saw more in him than me... though they may be rethinking that considering he was even worse after signing that deal. i think Hairston would probably be better over there right now, this season, but unfortunately they need to work him at LT without knowing for sure Glenn can handle it.

I think the Bills' wish list for how the OL pans out might look something like this:

LT: Glenn (S), Sanders

LG: Levitre (S), Rinehart/Asper

C: Wood (S), Brown/Asper

RG: Urbik (S), Rinehart/Jasper?

RT: Pears (S), Hairston

(with Hairston and Sanders able to backup both tackle spots)

I believe Glenn will be given every opportunity to win the starting LT job in training camp.

This is the first time i've read something in this forum that I'm actally hoping is sarcasm. I am on a crusade to standardize a sarcasm font.

You laugh, but me and some co-workers have discussed this. Imagine if you could somehow come up with that? 'Gold Jerry, Gold i tell ya'!

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

First, this is not an attack on anybody, so calm down.....but to say Jason Peters was never considered a LT is not entirely accurate. If you check the BillsDaily archives there were some scouts who considered him the 2nd best LT prospect after Robert Gallery. They felt his skill set would make a position switch very possible, and some early mocks had him as a 3rd round pick. Why he went undrafted....who the hell knows, but the Bills were not the only team thinking this. Anyways, just a fun little tidbit not many remember hearing about. Carry on.

Oh, and as for a link just go to the BillsDaily draft page from the year Peters was drafted and you will see they had the Bills taking Peters in their mock.

exactly. if anything i remember him being a very raw, but VERY high ceiling LT project from the get go, with everything else he did being mostly filler to get a rare athlete on the field until he could handle LT.

Edited by NoSaint

You laugh, but me and some co-workers have discussed this. Imagine if you could somehow come up with that? 'Gold Jerry, Gold i tell ya'!

A basketball board I belong to uses green font to denote sarcasm. It works fairly well, but it's not perfect.

Glenn has to show that he can handle the NFL's best pass rushers before he starts. He's a college kid and has a lot to learn.

It all depends on camp and preseason, they have no idea right now. My guess is he starts at RT in camp, I doubt very seriously they will have him taking his first reps against Mario Williams in practice. (welcome to camp son, just 48 more days of this guy Mario.....)

Luckily our first game is against the Jets and they are weak at pass rushing (Maybin led the team with 6 last year, so what does that tell you) and it's not like the kid has to go against Von Miller or Jared Allen all day.

I'm sure the Jets will be starting Coples at end, it would be cool to see Glenn win the LT spot and dominate that guy in their first of many battles to come over the years.

I'm a little disappointed that I spend so much time on a site where the majority of people are ready to write off a tackle as a backup who has prototypical NFL size and played admirably last year as a rookie (even if he played "mediocre," which he didn't, he was a freaking rookie). Why? Because he was a 4th round pick instead of a 2nd round pick (Glenn)? Chris Hairston is a tackle. Cordy Glenn is a guard/tackle hybrid project who was drafted based on his size and potential. That's why he fell to the 2nd round. If you don't think Hairston starts atop the depth chart, I question your football intuitiveness. That being said, yes, Glenn WILL have a shot to beat him out, of course.

Glenn has to show that he can handle the NFL's best pass rushers before he starts. He's a college kid and has a lot to learn.

It all depends on camp and preseason, they have no idea right now. My guess is he starts at RT in camp, I doubt very seriously they will have him taking his first reps against Mario Williams in practice. (welcome to camp son, just 48 more days of this guy Mario.....)

Luckily our first game is against the Jets and they are weak at pass rushing (Maybin led the team with 6 last year, so what does that tell you) and it's not like the kid has to go against Von Miller or Jared Allen all day.

I'm sure the Jets will be starting Coples at end, it would be cool to see Glenn win the LT spot and dominate that guy in their first of many battles to come over the years.

How does he show he can handle the best without practicing against them? Also, Mario will most likely be lining up at LDE, so the RT is who will be matched up against him.

I'm pretty sure Buddy and/or Chan have already said they're putting Glenn at LT and seeing what he can do. They didn't draft him to play RT.

How does he show he can handle the best without practicing against them? Also, Mario will most likely be lining up at LDE, so the RT is who will be matched up against him.

I'm pretty sure Buddy and/or Chan have already said they're putting Glenn at LT and seeing what he can do. They didn't draft him to play RT.

Ya. This ---^

I'm a little disappointed that I spend so much time on a site where the majority of people are ready to write off a tackle as a backup who has prototypical NFL size and played admirably last year as a rookie (even if he played "mediocre," which he didn't, he was a freaking rookie). Why? Because he was a 4th round pick instead of a 2nd round pick (Glenn)? Chris Hairston is a tackle. Cordy Glenn is a guard/tackle hybrid project who was drafted based on his size and potential. That's why he fell to the 2nd round. If you don't think Hairston starts atop the depth chart, I question your football intuitiveness. That being said, yes, Glenn WILL have a shot to beat him out, of course.

ill bite.

Hairston has question marks for sure. He just isnt that athletic. he isnt quick, his footwork wasnt terrific. he didnt fall on his face, but he hasnt earned a starting job either, in my book. coming out of the gate they are probably neck and neck (neither has EARNED a starting NFL job yet) - and honestly, by day one of training camp, i wouldnt be shocked to see the coaches running glenn with the 1s. Hairston is unlikely to grow into the premiere LT role, but i think the staff is confident that glenn does have the tools that they expect. Doesnt mean hairston is a poor player, or doesnt have a spot, but he is a project guy, and likely a good backup option at this point, if just trying to evaluate what he did on the field vs expectations from a position.

and to argue hairston is a tackle and glenn is a guard hybrid is silly. essentially they both have to prove they can play LT, or be shipped to a different spot. where that spot is, makes little difference in this argument.

Edited by NoSaint

Nix has repeatedly said he is a LT. He's going to line up at LT day one. I would bet on it. And unless he totally collapses, which is unlikely, look for him to start on opening day. Plus, I fully expect for the Bills to want Hairston to both be the swing tackle, the #1 back-up at both spots, and in a perfect world, unseat Pears at RT down the line. So he will likely split the reps in practice between LT and RT.

Furthermore, Mario is going to play LDE for us. So he will be going against the RT in practice.

Personally, I'd like to see Sanders at LT and Glenn at RG, with Hairston at RT

Hey we can all agree that it's great to finally have some freaking depth on this football team. We could conceivably have Hairston, Sanders and Rinehart as our first three guys off the bench. That's solid if you ask me!

I just think that Hairston has started 7 games against good NFL teams and played well. So he's produced in my opinion. What makes 90% of the people on this board think that with his youth and experience that he's not going to just get better and better. Is it the fact that Hairston was drafted in the 4th and Glenn was drafted in the 2nd???

I have been dogging Glenn for the past month for sure but I love the pick. I like it because I think he can be a dominating player at Guard. He's a bruiser in the run game but his lateral movement looks to struggle against pass rushers. He's not a starting left tackle based on what i've seen. He has good experience though and I think he would make a good back up LT.

(What i've seen is about 5 youtube videos but thats all us fans have)

Buddy says he can be a LT because the Bills need depth at the position. So it kills two birds with one stone. Get a very good back up at LT and a guy with the ability to be great at Guard.

Fellow bills brethren,

You are either listening too much to draftnicks who call Cordy a guard or frankly not reading the situation correctly.

Buddy does NOT say he can be a LT because they need depth.....he has made it very plain that he sees too many similarities to Marcus McNeil to ignore them.....

Glenn is not "depth" anywhere he plays......he has great feet for a man his size....is incredibly powerful.....had abnormally long arm length (which makes up for mistakes as a OT) and his ceiling as a LT has not even been reached yet.

Unlike a player like say Reily Rief....who has probably been coached to his maximum potential....Cordy Glenn got in ONE SEASON as a left tackle....and by the end of the season was stoning some excellent DE draft prospects. Go back and take a look at that LSU You Tube footage.....those LSU DE's are no slouches....Cordy is OWNING them.....

All this while probably playing 15 pounds too heavy and only one year at the position.....there is NO TELLING just how good Cordy is going to be when this is all said and done....but would you really have a young Marcus McNeil as a "Depth" player? When he was healthy Marcus was considered one of the VERY best at his position....

One other thing here.....dont think that Cordy doesnt have a chip on his shoulder at this point.....he was invited to the draft and didn't get picked day 1 even though pretty much EVERYBODY thought he would be a 1st round pick.....and went home and didn't come back.....dont think he isn't out there stewing about that. its great news for the Bills....but bad news for the rest of the league.

A basketball board I belong to uses green font to denote sarcasm. It works fairly well, but it's not perfect.

That's a really good idea :nana:

If Glenn doesn't get the job at LT, which he should have all the opportunity to do, I think Hairston will likely go in there. He wasn't bad last year but it took him a few games to start looking better.

EDIT: And now that I did post in green with sarcasm in mind, it actually looks like a good idea :wallbash:

Edited by The Wiz