My 5 All Time Favorite Bills

In no particular order

1. Daryl Talley--the heart and soul of the Super Bowl era teams.

2. Bobby Chandler--too small, too slow. All he did was get open and catch the ball

3. Roland Hooks--all purpose back who had the misfortune of being the best player (IMHO) on some not so great teams.

4. JimBraxton--overshadowed by his backfield mate, but great ball carrier in his own right, but best known as a devastating lead blocker, as well as picking up blitzing LBs like no one before or since.

5. Tom Sestak-- ex Marine who was 27 as a rookie. With more cooperative knees, he would have played longer, and have a little statue in Canton, OH.

Many others came to mind, like Kent Hull, Tony Greene, George Saimes, Robert James, Ben Williams, Ernie Warlick, Max Anderson, Phil Villapiano, Steve Tasker, Marlin Briscoe.

On the other side of the coin, my 5 least favorites:

1. Art Powell--just for being a key figure in the worst trade in team history, sending Lamonica to the Raiders.

2. Travis Henry--serial baby daddy, and criminal.

3. T. O.-- he didn't really do anything to cheese me off as a Bill, but his body of work as an attention whore and prima Donna warrants a spot here.

4. Call this an entry, Aaron Maybin and Tom Ruud. To me, same guy, different eras. First round "need" picks who showed nothing but an uncanny ability to knocked on their butts. I would have included Cousineau if he ever actually played for the Bills.

5. Willis McGahee--did anyone ever leave town in a less classy manner.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no particular order

2. Bobby Chandler--too small, too slow. All he did was get open and catch the ball

3. Roland Hooks--all purpose back who had the misfortune of being the best player (IMHO) on some not so great teams.

4. JimBraxton--overshadowed by his backfield mate, but great ball carrier in his own right, but best known as a devastating lead blocker, as well as picking up blitzing LBs like no one before or since.

5. Tom Sestak-- ex Marine who was 27 as a rookie. With more cooperative knees, he would have played longer, and have a little statue in Canton, OH.

Many others came to mind, like Kent Hull, Tony Greene, George Saimes, Robert James, Ben Williams, Ernie Warlick, Max Anderson, Phil Villapiano, Steve Tasker, Marlin Briscoe.

1. Art Powell--just for being a key figure in the worst trade in team history, sending Lamonica to the Raiders.

3. T. O.-- he didn't really do anything to cheese me off as a Bill, but his body of work as an attention whore and prima Donna warrants a spot here.

4. Call this an entry, Aaron Maybin and Tom Ruud. To me, same guy, different eras. First round "need" picks who showed nothing but an uncanny ability to knocked on their butts. I would have included Cousineau if he ever actually played for the Bills.

GREAT list Bopper.Allow me to add Fat Ted Washington--in my opinion a hall of fame level player.Best run stopper of all time.Could not be budged one inch by any O lineman ever.-And surprisingly quick.

Can't argue much with your choices. Here's one on each list that I'll add:

Favorite: Frank Lewis - Just thought he was a fluid route runner and a pro's pro.

Least Favorite - Reggie Rogers - The Bills' only convicted killer (pre O.J., that is).

Hey, OJ wasn't convicted of murder. He didn't kill anyone. The Glove didn't fit.

Ted Washington was one of the nicest players I've met. Rob Riddick was as well. However, personality-wise paup was my least favorite, great player and maybe I caught him on a bad day...who knows.

Although probably not a consensus choice for this list, one of my favorite Bills players of all time was FB Sam Gash. The guy was just a human bulldozer. You could probably hit him on top of the head with a tack hammer and he would still have a smile on his face. I loved watching him play.

Favorites(I started watching the Bills around 1967 or so)...

OJ Simpson

Thurman

Bruce

Jerry Butler

Bob Chandler

Honorable mention...

Fred Smerlas

Reggie McKenzie

Ben Williams

Jim Kelly

Phil Hanson

Frank Lewis

Joe Cribbs

Shane Conlan

Antoine Winfield

Phil Villapiano

Good choices all, I do think you have to go modern day and add Fred Jackson to the list. Also Tasker on special teams coverage and the Phoenix 1990 game when he got put in because of injury and caught a TD in the his first series. Or the time he nailed Tim Brown after catching a punt for the Raiders. There was a picture in the paper the next day of Brown pointing to Tasker implying a great hit.

In no particular order

Nice list. I agree with Willis on the bottom here. My son was a huge fan and we met him at a Bills banquet and he ignored us the entire time he signed for us. Not a word, just kept looking around.

My favs are easy.

1)Jimbo & Fitz

2)Thurman & Fred

3)Andre & Stevie

4)Jon Dorenbos....met him, very cool (horrible family story)

5)Ralph. Thank you. Period.

I've always had a soft spot for Terrence McGee actually. I remember hoping we would draft him, and then rooting for him to make it and succeed, which he did. I also like that he's such a regular guy. i read an article where he basically said that he doesn't go out clubbing or play videogames all day and night like a lot of the other players; he liked to read and watch TV, and I think drive a Hyundai.

Favorites

1. Thurman - He made the K-gun go and he was the MVP of SB

2. Jerry Butler - with today's knee surgery outcomes he may have been a great one

3. Hull

4. Ferguson - for the San Diego ankle performancnothingthign else

5. Ted Marchibroda - the architect

Honorable mention: Bruce, Kelly, Lofton, McKenzie, Ted Washington

Least

5. Marv Levy - overrated HC and worst GM in Bills history

4. Talley - I don't know what the love affair is with the 5th or 6th best player on the defense that along with Jeff Wright lost SB XXV

3. Henry - nice job falling down against the Pats

2. Bledsoe - how do you let the team lose to Pittsburgh's scrubs

1. Norwood - he missed and I still can't get over it. His miss and McKinley getting shot are probably the two worst moments in Buffalo's history.

Honorable mention: Kelly, McGahee, Donahoe, Reich

Nice list.

Mine would probably be:

1 - Talley

2 - Chandler

3 - Andre Reed

4 - Lou Piccone (more or less just a special teamer, but it was cool to hear the 'Looooooooouuuu.')

5 - Reggie McKenzie

With honorable mentions (in no particular order) Christie, Tasker, Hull, Smerlas, Haslett, Nelson, Pat Williams, Thurman, Bentley, Stevie, Freddie, Lofton, & Jerry Butler.

Somebody posted that they liked Cribbs. I've never been able to get over his jumping ship to the USFL and then ending up w/ the Fish.

I can't listen to anyone that had Travis Henry as an all time least favorite. The guy was a warrior with us. Playing with broken ribs, on broken legs, you name it. One of my all-time favorite plays was Travis against the Chargers and he stiff armed some poor defender down to the ground on his way to a TD, beat stiff arm I've ever seen. And dong get me started on TO. The guy played a year here and played well, he also showed everyone here that he is not "me first" like everyone else in the world thinks.

In no particular order

Really, no Jimbo? I'll concede that Daryl Talley was the heart and soul of the defense, but Jimbo was the heart and soul of the best team Buffalo ever put on the field. In addition, I would argue that Jimbo may still be the heart and soul of our Bills. Do not think for a second that he wasn't instrumental in bringing Mario to town.

My list:

1. Jimbo (the reason why I love the Bills)

2. Jerry Butler (the reason why I first learned to catch a football)

3. Tasker (truly a classy guy)

4. Winfield (a great Buckeye and a great Bill... too bad we let him walk)

and a current Bill to round out my list

5. Fred Jackson

Edited by BuckeyeBill

In 1961 I was 13 and played on a little league football league in the Kensington section of Buffalo. At season's end the team had a banquet at a place on Bailey Ave. near Amherst. I took the Genesee bus and then transferred to the Bailey bus to attend. Al Bemiller, the Bill's center, from Syracuse U. and a wide reciever from Eastern Carolina, whose name I can't recall were the guest speakers. Afterwards, I was waiting for the bus, and a car stopped and these two guys were driving back downtown to a hotel and they offered to drive me to my house near Genesee and Moselle. They were very friendly and engaging and as you might imagine, they have always been my favorite Bills. Now one of you is going to remind me what the wide reciever's name is. He was tall, tanned and had a great southern accent which reminded me of Andy Griffin. I have no idea if they were great players, but was convinced they were good men.

In 1961 I was 13 and played on a little league football league in the Kensington section of Buffalo. At season's end the team had a banquet at a place on Bailey Ave. near Amherst. I took the Genesee bus and then transferred to the Bailey bus to attend. Al Bemiller, the Bill's center, from Syracuse U. and a wide reciever from Eastern Carolina, whose name I can't recall were the guest speakers. Afterwards, I was waiting for the bus, and a car stopped and these two guys were driving back downtown to a hotel and they offered to drive me to my house near Genesee and Moselle. They were very friendly and engaging and as you might imagine, they have always been my favorite Bills. Now one of you is going to remind me what the wide reciever's name is. He was tall, tanned and had a great southern accent which reminded me of Andy Griffin. I have no idea if they were great players, but was convinced they were good men.

You are lucky you didn't find your picture on a milk carton...