My 5 All Time Favorite Bills

You are lucky you didn't find your picture on a milk carton...

Hmm, luck? I don't think so. That was another era. I started taking the bus by myself when I was six. Parents were not nearly as present in a child's life. No one from my family ever attended a game. I rode my bike to all the practices and home games, while the coach drove me to the away games if I arrived at our practice field on time. I did lock my bike to a fence. Why would two celebrity football players do any harm to a kid who just heard them give speeches about hard work, good sportsmanship and leadership? Milk then came in recyclable bottles; the public bus stop was a safe place to be for anyone. A positive memory of growing up on the Eastside of Buffalo in a much more favorable era for working class people.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's such a great and such a hard question for me. My favorite Bill was OJ but I am taking him off the list for obvious reasons. Still, he was my favorite Bill.

My top five favorite Bills besides OJ were...

Jim Kelly

Robert James

Cornileus Bennett

Thurman Thomas

Tom Sestack

Frank Lewis

Bobby Chandler

Butch Byrd

Roland Hooks

Jim Braxton

Tony Greene

Jerry Butler

Bruce Smith

Kent Hull

Charles Romes

In 1961 I was 13 and played on a little league football league in the Kensington section of Buffalo. At season's end the team had a banquet at a place on Bailey Ave. near Amherst. I took the Genesee bus and then transferred to the Bailey bus to attend. Al Bemiller, the Bill's center, from Syracuse U. and a wide reciever from Eastern Carolina, whose name I can't recall were the guest speakers. Afterwards, I was waiting for the bus, and a car stopped and these two guys were driving back downtown to a hotel and they offered to drive me to my house near Genesee and Moselle. They were very friendly and engaging and as you might imagine, they have always been my favorite Bills. Now one of you is going to remind me what the wide reciever's name is. He was tall, tanned and had a great southern accent which reminded me of Andy Griffin. I have no idea if they were great players, but was convinced they were good men.

cool story, if they weren't great players they were great men

Favorites:

Jim Kelly

Bruce Smith

Thurman Thomas

Fred Jackson

Not sure who else

least favorites:

Marshawn Lynch

Willis McGahee

Roscoe Parrish

Drew Bledsoe

Not sure who else

only have 4 that I loved and 4 I hated. A 5fh would require a ton of thinking.

Possibly Tasker if he didn't whore himself out nowdays and Aaron Maybin I'm sure could crack the least fav list.

In 1961 I was 13 and played on a little league football league in the Kensington section of Buffalo. At season's end the team had a banquet at a place on Bailey Ave. near Amherst. I took the Genesee bus and then transferred to the Bailey bus to attend. Al Bemiller, the Bill's center, from Syracuse U. and a wide reciever from Eastern Carolina, whose name I can't recall were the guest speakers. Afterwards, I was waiting for the bus, and a car stopped and these two guys were driving back downtown to a hotel and they offered to drive me to my house near Genesee and Moselle. They were very friendly and engaging and as you might imagine, they have always been my favorite Bills. Now one of you is going to remind me what the wide reciever's name is. He was tall, tanned and had a great southern accent which reminded me of Andy Griffin. I have no idea if they were great players, but was convinced they were good men.

That would be Glenn Bass.... Andy Griffith (or Griffin)

I'm old school, but very hard to name just 5:

Marlin Briscoe - bright light in a bad season

Thurman

Bob James another HOF career cut short by injury

Jim Kelly

Smerlas

In no particular order

1. Daryl Talley--the heart and soul of the Super Bowl era teams.

2. Bobby Chandler--too small, too slow. All he did was get open and catch the ball

3. Roland Hooks--all purpose back who had the misfortune of being the best player (IMHO) on some not so great teams.

4. JimBraxton--overshadowed by his backfield mate, but great ball carrier in his own right, but best known as a devastating lead blocker, as well as picking up blitzing LBs like no one before or since.

5. Tom Sestak-- ex Marine who was 27 as a rookie. With more cooperative knees, he would have played longer, and have a little statue in Canton, OH.

I know you said no particular order, but I love how you have Talley first. My fav player. Thats the jersey I wear on gamedays.

In no particular order

2. Bobby Chandler--too small, too slow. All he did was get open and catch the ball

3. Roland Hooks--all purpose back who had the misfortune of being the best player (IMHO) on some not so great teams.

4. JimBraxton--overshadowed by his backfield mate, but great ball carrier in his own right, but best known as a devastating lead blocker, as well as picking up blitzing LBs like no one before or since.

5. Tom Sestak-- ex Marine who was 27 as a rookie. With more cooperative knees, he would have played longer, and have a little statue in Canton, OH.

Many others came to mind, like Kent Hull, Tony Greene, George Saimes, Robert James, Ben Williams, Ernie Warlick, Max Anderson, Phil Villapiano, Steve Tasker, Marlin Briscoe.

O

I used to use Roland Hooks as my avatar. Braxton had a couple hundred yard games as I recall, despite being OJ's fullback. Bobby Chandler was my idol because I was a slow receiver with good hands.

In no particular order

Come on BOpper! Travis Henry? Hes not on my tags list -but that guy played through huge injuries -broken leg - for the bills

Many others came to mind, like Kent Hull, Tony Greene, George Saimes, Robert James, Ben Williams, Ernie Warlick, Max Anderson, Phil Villapiano, Steve Tasker, Marlin Briscoe.

On the other side of the coin, my 5 least favorites:

1. Art Powell--just for being a key figure in the worst trade in team history, sending Lamonica to the Raiders.

2. Travis Henry--serial baby daddy, and criminal.

3. T. O.-- he didn't really do anything to cheese me off as a Bill, but his body of work as an attention whore and prima Donna warrants a spot here.

4. Call this an entry, Aaron Maybin and Tom Ruud. To me, same guy, different eras. First round "need" picks who showed nothing but an uncanny ability to knocked on their butts. I would have included Cousineau if he ever actually played for the Bills.

5. Willis McGahee--did anyone ever leave town in a less classy manner.

What!? Washington on list but not Sam Adams?

GREAT list Bopper.Allow me to add Fat Ted Washington--in my opinion a hall of fame level player.Best run stopper of all time.Could not be budged one inch by any O lineman ever.-And surprisingly quick.

Ted Washington was one of the nicest players I've met. Rob Riddick was as well. However, personality-wise paup was my least favorite, great player and maybe I caught him on a bad day...who knows.

Rob riddick was the man - one heckuva nice guy

I can't listen to anyone that had Travis Henry as an all time least favorite. The guy was a warrior with us. Playing with broken ribs, on broken legs, you name it. One of my all-time favorite plays was Travis against the Chargers and he stiff armed some poor defender down to the ground on his way to a TD, beat stiff arm I've ever seen. And dong get me started on TO. The guy played a year here and played well, he also showed everyone here that he is not "me first" like everyone else in the world thinks.

Travis may be messed up in his personal life, but we didn't really know it at the time, and I loved the way he played. I read that they are criticizing Peyton Hillis for having only four broken tackles all year when the average is 18. I was thinking Travis used to break 18 in a game, I swear!

He never went down from the first guy to make contact!

What!? Washington on list but not Sam Adams?

I loved watching Sam. He was so quick for being so huge. It's too bad it didn't happen more often, but there were times when he would just decide to dominate a game. I remember some blowout game that we were winning and my friends wanted to leave and I said No, I'm having too much fun watching Sam throw guys all over the place and make plays.

His TD run off the Brady interception is probably the greatest Bills play since the Super Bowl years. You have to just smile when you watch that one!

Hey, OJ wasn't convicted of murder. He didn't kill anyone. The Glove didn't fit.

What I would like to know is why the prosecution didn't seem to make any big deal out of the fact that nothing was going to fit onto a hand that already had a Latex glove on!

interestingly, travis henry would make the list for both my favorite and least favorite bills

gotta love a guy who keeps pounding it with a broken foot

... and then theres his on the field accomplishments

I know you said no particular order, but I love how you have Talley first. My fav player. Thats the jersey I wear on gamedays.

Why? I'm not trying to be an arss. I just don't get the Talley love. Bruce, Bennet, Hanson, Odomes, and maybe Conlan all were better players just on the defensive side of the ball. He was maybe the tenth best player on the team. He had his worst game at the worst time. He was horrible against the Giants in the SB.

Travis may be messed up in his personal life, but we didn't really know it at the time, and I loved the way he played. I read that they are criticizing Peyton Hillis for having only four broken tackles all year when the average is 18. I was thinking Travis used to break 18 in a game, I swear!

Except when it mattered most against the Patriots...Can't remember if it was a 3 and 2 or a 4th and 2 and he just fell down in the backfield. We had the Pats on the ropes that day. Awful...

Edited by Dadonkadonk

I'm 26 and have been die hard Bills (meaning can't miss a game and follow all their moves) since probably 1997. With that is mind my top 5 in no particular order are:

-Eric Moulds - love his physicality. The playoff game against the phins where he had over 200 receiving yards is a game I'll never forget.

-Doug Flutie - probably the most exciting QB the Bills have had since I've been an avid fan. Naked bootleg for the game winner vs. the Jags stands out.

-Pat Williams - Was a beast and plug for the Bills D's when they were still soild. Amazing career considering he was an undrafted free agent.

-Takeo Spikes - One of the most exciting FA signings of the 2000's. Was electric his first few years on the squad.

-Terrence McGee - A bit unexpected on this list. but for a 4th rounder I thought this guy had a helluva career with the Bills. Injuries have taken their toll. But the 2005-2008 McGee with the great kickoff returns as well as the solid corner play provided a lot of excitement.

Why? I'm not trying to be an arss. I just don't get the Talley love. Bruce, Bennet, Hanson, Odomes, and maybe Conlan all were better players just on the defensive side of the ball. He was maybe the tenth best player on the team. He had his worst game at the worst time. He was horrible against the Giants in the SB.

Talley was the glue that held that all together. They were all good players, but I would take Talley over all of them except bruce.

Except when it mattered most against the Patriots...Can't remember if it was a 3 and 2 or a 4th and 2 and he just fell down in the backfield. We had the Pats on the ropes that day. Awful...

I said he didn't go down on contact!

my Top Five..in order.

1. O.J. best talent in Bills history .

2. Bruce.. bad things man bad things.

3. Thurman... maybe the best overall player the Bills have had.

4. Kelly... game vs Miami when he won it on a QB sneak is one of my fav plays for this franchise.

5. Fergy.... he had some arm on him, that playoff game vs. Chargers was the most proud I have been for a Bills player.