This is AWESOME

The Buccaneers, with coach Schiano, signed Eric Legrand to a pro contract. For those who don't know Eric suffered a severe spinal injury and fractured some vertebrae making a tackle against Army in 2010.

http://espn.go.com/n...ymbolic-gesture

http://www.nj.com/ru...ith_buccan.html

“Leading up to the draft, I couldn’t help but think that this should’ve been Eric’s draft class,” Schiano said in a statement released today by Rutgers and the Buccaneers. “This small gesture is the least we could do to recognize his character, spirit, and perseverance. The way Eric lives his life epitomizes what we are looking for in Buccaneer Men.”

Edited by Wooderson

A lot of sports fans hate Bobby Knight who is actually a great, great guy. He had a power forward, Landon Turner, who was destined for the NBA who got in a car accident four months after leading Indiana to the 1981 National Championship. Turner was paralyzed from the chest down and obviously would never walk let alone play hoops again, but he showed great perseverence even after the accident. Bobby Knight convinced Red Auerbach of the Celtics to draft Turner and never told anyone about it, and Auerbach drafted Landon Turner in the 10th round of the 1982 NBA draft. Always loved that, and Knight did a lot of stuff like that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=5356168

Bobby Knight convinced Red Auerbach of the Celtics to draft Turner

It would have been a better story if Auerbach had made the pick on his own...

(yeah, count me in the anti-Knight contingent 0:) )

go ahead and kill me..I don't like it.

Just feels too PRish to me. But if Eric is good with it, then i guess I should be

Even if it was done for PR, is it really such a bad thing? Sometimes both sides can benefit from an action like this.

If you look at it as a PR move, it`s a great one. If you look at it as a move to show support for a great person and a standout athlete who has experienced a very difficult, life altering injury, it`s an excellent one. This is a win-win and I, for one, completely approve of Schiano doing this. Classy, classy move.

As a Rutgers alum...this is a great thing. I was at the game where Legrand was paralyzed, and have followed his story the whole way.

#believe52

Edited by Jesus H. Christ

go ahead and kill me..I don't like it.

Just feels too PRish to me. But if Eric is good with it, then i guess I should be

Yeah, for myself, I don't think I'd like something like that. I'm not into symbolic, like giving a woman a mother's day card after a miscarriage.

But as you say, Eric is good with it so it's cool, nice gesture.

Hope his agent doesn't talk him into holding out. :ph34r:

Seriously, EL is a GREAT kid and the Rutgers family love him. This is a very nice gesture on Schiano's part.

I don't think it was done for the PR per se as much as it was done as a part of the culture change in TB.

There's a new sheriff in that town, and he demonstrably cares for his men.

I really hope you're being sarcastic...

Was not being sarcastic, nor looking for an argument.but , for me, i just do not like the move. I can see i am in the huge minority here, and i get that. But like Hopeful said a fw posts above, i do not get symbolic with a team he has never been associated with or played for. Kalsu going on the Wall i get..but he was a Bill. Rutgers naming him Honary Captain for life, or something similar..i get..

But the Tampa Bucs signing him to a FA contact, i just dont. But like i said, and as Hopeful said, tru test is what does Eric think...he is good with it o so are we.