What's your favorite cell app?

cantankerous

for iphone:

Clear - check list app for my tasks

Al Jazeera Live - HD live stream of their English news

TuneIn Radio - listen to, record, etc radio stations from all over the world.

Zillow - take a tour of all your neighbor's houses, and find out what they are worth

ScoutMob - a MUCH better take on the "Groupon" fad which doesnt require you to purchase anything up front

for iphone:

Zillow - take a tour of all your neighbor's houses, and find out what they are worth

ScoutMob - a MUCH better take on the "Groupon" fad which doesnt require you to purchase anything up front

According to zillow, my house is in foreclosure. Good to know. laugh.gif

For Android:

-Profile scheduler - great app for managing when to turn on/off GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi - great for maximizing battery life

-Cozi - Great app to keep the family calendar - no more waiting to check the wall calendar at home to see if I'm clear do to something

-Quell - pretty neat zen game - good mental workout but also relaxing

-Stupid Zombies - when you just need a few hundred levels of killing zombies using bullets and the laws of phsics

-TuneIn radio - gets you almost anything you're looking to listen to

+1 on Cozi. We use it to coordinate on the farm for chores, dates, events, etc.

For Android Bionic:

GasBuddy: Works here in small town country USA. Tells you local costs of wherever you are at, direction coohesiveness is lackluster.

Where's my Droid: Where is it?!

JuiceDefender: Save the battery!

Doorbell Ap: Drive dogs crazy when you want to piss someone off.

Buffalo Bills Ap: Why not?

Google Sky Map: Hold it to the sky and it will show you what everything is...from the sun to Uranus.

Freds Sounboard: Stern lovers; this is a must.

PdaNet: Tether your laptop to your computer and you have wireless anywhere.

WGR Radio: WGR on the droid.

Swiss Army Knife and Flashlight, both great aps.

I don't know the name of it, but it's the one that lets me enter numbers and press a button, then magically lets me talk to another person in possession of the same device.

Because...y'know...it's a !@#$ing phone.

I don't know the name of it, but it's the one that lets me enter numbers and press a button, then magically lets me talk to another person in possession of the same device.

StuckinCincy came back after all.

Trulia is a better real estate app than Zillow IMO; we're looking to upgrade the house so use it frequently these days. Other good free apps:

ESPN -- good for scores

Yelp

TuneIn Radio

Yahoo fantasy baseball/football -- not great apps, but allows you to change your lineup in a pinch.

Living Social

Angry Birds

Netflix

Kansas City Steak Company Steak Timer.

Flashlight -- mine uses the camera flash so you get a real light (not just a colored screen like the crappy ones).

And of course,

Frank's Red Hot wing finder.

Agree completely on google sky map,

use yelp all the time.

Untappd for beer

I'll check out freds sbd.

+1 on Cozi. We use it to coordinate on the farm for chores, dates, events, etc.

For Android Bionic:

GasBuddy: Works here in small town country USA. Tells you local costs of wherever you are at, direction coohesiveness is lackluster.

Where's my Droid: Where is it?!

JuiceDefender: Save the battery!

Doorbell Ap: Drive dogs crazy when you want to piss someone off.

Buffalo Bills Ap: Why not?

Google Sky Map: Hold it to the sky and it will show you what everything is...from the sun to Uranus.

Freds Sounboard: Stern lovers; this is a must.

PdaNet: Tether your laptop to your computer and you have wireless anywhere.

WGR Radio: WGR on the droid.

Swiss Army Knife and Flashlight, both great aps.

StuckinCincy came back after all.

Not quite. For a great many people, smartphones are considerable overkill...many of the people I know who have smartphones don't use, don't know how to use, and have no need of using even a tenth the capacity of the phone. I know one person who bought a mammoth LG smartphone specifically because they were going to Harper's Ferry that day and wanted to take pictures. Now admittedly, they justified it ex post facto with "But I can update my Facebook status with it, and check my email, and write papers on it for school, and browse the web. I need to know all this stuff so I can function in the modern world." :blink:

It ain't the concept of smart phones that bugs me...it's the marketing that convinces people that, if your phone isn't running Ice Cream Sandwich or iOS 5 and you can't twitter the color of your **** directly from the toilet, you're a complete loser. The vast majority of people don't need a mobile computer, they need...a phone. Hell, I'm a software developer, I dabble in mobile apps, and I can't even justify owning a smart phone. For the most part (NOT universally, mind you), it's just a way to separate people who have no capacity for rational thought from their money.

Now get off my !@#$ing lawn.

Radarscope for Iphone, allows me to see local weather patterns and systems moving in while boating. Accurate and can let me see right down to where I am traveling or sitting in the bay. Much cheaper than a full blown radar system for the boat!

Does that actually work for you? Mine crashes after two minutes, fairly reliably.

I have listened 3 or 4 times for roughly 10 minutes total; during the MW signing. It worked find.

Radarscope for Iphone, allows me to see local weather patterns and systems moving in while boating. Accurate and can let me see right down to where I am traveling or sitting in the bay. Much cheaper than a full blown radar system for the boat!

how is this any different then using something like weather.com? Or one of the GPS weather units that come on phones?

Not quite. For a great many people, smartphones are considerable overkill...many of the people I know who have smartphones don't use, don't know how to use, and have no need of using even a tenth the capacity of the phone. I know one person who bought a mammoth LG smartphone specifically because they were going to Harper's Ferry that day and wanted to take pictures. Now admittedly, they justified it ex post facto with "But I can update my Facebook status with it, and check my email, and write papers on it for school, and browse the web. I need to know all this stuff so I can function in the modern world." :blink:

It ain't the concept of smart phones that bugs me...it's the marketing that convinces people that, if your phone isn't running Ice Cream Sandwich or iOS 5 and you can't twitter the color of your **** directly from the toilet, you're a complete loser. The vast majority of people don't need a mobile computer, they need...a phone. Hell, I'm a software developer, I dabble in mobile apps, and I can't even justify owning a smart phone. For the most part (NOT universally, mind you), it's just a way to separate people who have no capacity for rational thought from their money.

I have a mobile computer.

It's called a laptop.

Wooaaaaahhhhhh

for iphone:

Clear sounds great - so I went to download it......It says I need to upgrade my operating system.........I would put it on my Clear checklist, but I don't have one!

I don't need it per say, but I sure as hell enjoy the convenience.

... and you can't twitter the color of your **** directly from the toilet, you're a complete loser.

It's brown, thanks for asking.

Is the only way for me to upgrade my IOS operating system synching with my itunes on my computer?

You can't download it right on the iphone?

Correct, iOS doesn't support OTA updates.

I thought once you were up to iOS5, you could update OTA?

I'm not up to 5, because that's what it said I needed.

Do they have one where I can actually hear 99% of the words the other person is saying instead of the 65% or so that I can currently hear?

Do they have one where I can actually hear 99% of the words the other person is saying instead of the 65% or so that I can currently hear?

Yeah, it's called a "hearing aid."

For the iPhone and in no particular order:

StarWalk: Allows you to view the night sky and identify stars/constellations

FastBalance: Keeps me up to date on my HSBC bank account

Urbanspoon: Allows me to find, review and rate resturants where ever I am

Tune in Radio: Allows me to listen to American radio

WhatsApp: Allows me to text people back in the States who don't have iMessage

Game of the moment

DrawSomething: Like pictionary between friends who have the app

Another vote for Tune-in Radio. Especially during football season so I can listen to 97 rock pregame.

Skype or Facetime so I can see my niece back home.

For games, Doodle Jump, Temple Run, and Fruit Ninja seem to have gotten the majority of my time.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the mobile Bills app... unless I missed it, but during the season it is great. Within a couple hours after the game they have video of a lot of the player/coaches press conferences.

And yeah that app that lets you call people is pretty cool too.

bbb - If you don't have access to iTunes to update to ios 5 I think you can bring your iPhone to the apple store and they will update it for you.

Does that actually work for you? Mine crashes after two minutes, fairly reliably.

Their own app isn't heart as good as TuneIn Radio. Free app that allows you to listen to (most) any radio station in the country. I used it at work during the Mario Williams saga, 3 days straight and no crash. My fiance enjoys that she can listen to stations from her home town (Santa Barbara). Great app.

Does your phone have a round thing you spin with your finger?

Another vote for Tune-In. Use it every day in the car.

I really liked having the NHL app that shows games. Expensive but great video quality.

For other video I like the Skyfire browser. It saves on data usage.

For games, I like the "mental chewing gum" type of games...short time that you can pick up and kill a minute or two. Solitaire by Mobility Ware, Doodle Jump, and this new one called Photon; like Tetris but more free-form.

Flixter for movie info.

Ted Talks

PDAnet and FoxFi for using my phone's 3G data for my computer when wifi is unavailable. In fact FoxFi turns your phone into a mobile hotspot without Verizon knowing and charging you $20. Works great but I only use it in emergencies

FYI I have a Samsung Android phone.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

For games, I like the "mental chewing gum" type of games...short time that you can pick up and kill a minute or two. Solitaire by Mobility Ware, Doodle Jump, and this new one called Photon; like Tetris but more free-form.

Where's my Water is a fun game and set up as levels so you can play for a couple minutes figuring out each level. Problem is the iphone screen is a little small for it -- but it's great on an ipad screen.

how is this any different then using something like weather.com? Or one of the GPS weather units that come on phones?

There are several different radars to select from,

Classic Reflectivity (248 mile)

Composite reflectivity

Base Velocity (winds)

Classic velocity tilt 1

Storm relative Velocity 1, 2, 3 and 4

Estimated Rainfall

Storm Total surface rainfall

differential reflectivity 1-4

Dual polarization scopes

I have only used the first 3, but there are about 15 all together.