What's your favorite cell app?

cantankerous

Does your phone have a round thing you spin with your finger?

Home phone, yeah. Has the old two-letter code posted on it too.

It's actually very handy...when the power goes out, it still works. Try that with one of your modern land lines.

Home phone, yeah. Has the old two-letter code posted on it too.

It's actually very handy...when the power goes out, it still works. Try that with one of your modern land lines.

Nah, when the power goes out I use my smartphone.

For casual golfers, FreeCaddie is a nice app for distances. I used it this weekend and it was just as accurate as the Sky Caddy my partner was using.

I have the At Bat Lite MLB app for my phone and it works great. Heck, last week the sports bar didn't have the game I wanted, so I watched it on my phone (you need the MLB subscription to see games).

On my last phone I had the Stitcher podcast app. It worked pretty well, but some podcasters complained how Stitcher's dealings were a little shady in how they counted downloads and stuck their own advertising on top. I think they may have changed their policies, but since Adam Carolla and Greg Fitzsimmons have their own apps, I'll probably just stick with those. If I want anything else, I'll download on my iPad using iTunes.

I use Tweetdeck for Twitter, but I probably get more use out of The Weather Channel app than anything else.

For casual golfers, FreeCaddie is a nice app for distances. I used it this weekend and it was just as accurate as the Sky Caddy my partner was using.

I use the free version of GolfLogix, which includes score tracking - a pretty nice free app.

I don't know the name of it, but it's the one that lets me enter numbers and press a button, then magically lets me talk to another person in possession of the same device.

Because...y'know...it's a !@#$ing phone.

:unsure:

Mine's actually a device that allows me to get the internet wherever I am. What's this phone thing you talk about.

Oh and the only app that I use on a regular basis is Nextbus that tells me when the bus is coming. There is nothing better than sitting in my favorite bar with the bus stop right outside the door and that app telling me when the bus is coming. That is until I move out of the city in a month.

:D

:unsure:

Mine's actually a device that allows me to get the internet wherever I am. What's this phone thing you talk about.

Oh and the only app that I use on a regular basis is Nextbus that tells me when the bus is coming. There is nothing better than sitting in my favorite bar with the bus stop right outside the door and that app telling me when the bus is coming. That is until I move out of the city in a month.

So sitting in a bar waiting for the bus is your jolly time? And to think I get flack for living in Alaska :D

:D

So sitting in a bar waiting for the bus is your jolly time? And to think I get flack for living in Alaska :D

Who said anything about Jolly time. The thread is about your favorite cell app. I think most of them are !@#$ing useless and a waste of time. Letting me know if I can order another beer (or three) before the bus comes is as about as handy as they come.

• 3 months later...

I've been hooked on a new game lately so I figured I'd bring this thread back. I've been playing The Simpsons Tapped Out lately and I'm kind of curious if anyone else is. I randomly picked it up because it was listed as the top free app on my iPhone and I've been finding it strangely addicting.

For any one that tracks jogging or walking...charity miles is one that supposedly pays .25/mile to your choice of 7-8 charities...$.10/mile for biking. The creator is allegedly financing the first million...not sure what happens after that

I've been hooked on a new game lately so I figured I'd bring this thread back. I've been playing The Simpsons Tapped Out lately and I'm kind of curious if anyone else is. I randomly picked it up because it was listed as the top free app on my iPhone and I've been finding it strangely addicting.

Yeah, I've got it on the iPad. By the by, tap Homer... I believe it was 10 times... but... just keep tapping him. You get a statue of Jedidiah Springfield and 10 donuts.

Begrudginly, I just got my first cell phone this past weekend...I can say my favorite app is "off"! Is that not an app?

I, too, was the last curmugdeon in the house... but rather than keep paying $50/mo. to Ma Bell, we changed the landline # over into a basic cell ~ 6 months ago for a tack-on $10/mo. on a family plan. Admittedly, it's got its conveniences and it's nice to have when I'm not at home / when driving / on trips. It also makes it a lot easier to just ignore numbers that aren't programmed or that I don't recognize, which are usually politician robo-calls, surveys or solicitors even tho this # is on the No-Call Registry. Most of the inconvenience is having to run to the one cell rather than having phones around the house (tho, as a neat-nick/anti-knickknack/minimalist/Felix Unger, this doesn't bother me very much).

Edited by UConn James

Begrudginly, I just got my first cell phone this past weekend...I can say my favorite app is "off"! Is that not an app?

Welcome to the dark side. :lol:

I would have certainly been a late comer too if they hadn't given me one at work a few years ago.

For your first app, try Yelp. User ratings/reviews of restaurants and all sorts of other businesses - very handy.

My favorite is TuneIn radio....gotta give props to Stojan for that one, though....I'm addicted to it and use it every day.

Yeah, I've got it on the iPad. By the by, tap Homer... I believe it was 10 times... but... just keep tapping him. You get a statue of Jedidiah Springfield and 10 donuts.

That and the things he says while you do it are priceless.

#1 app for me: TuneIn Radio

#2 Google maps with the traffic overlay

#3 PDAnet w/FoxFi

#4 Skyfire Browser for watching streaming website videos

#5 Shazam to identify songs

#6 Solitaire by MobilityWare

#7 Flixter for movie times etc

#8 Words with Friends

#9 Facebook

#10 Buffalo Bills app

PTR