Kickoff rule

People are forgetting that these kickoffs that happened last year were terrible! I never seem to see anyone complaining about the fact that almost every return last year was a touchback. This is terrible for football because it ruins one of the best and most exciting moments during the game. Obviously goodell did this to reduce injuries but really how much did it help? Plus most of the players that play special teams are back up players anyways and it just doesn't outweigh the importance of field position and other factors that play into returns. When will they be pushed back to the 30 again bc until then the kickoffs are meaningless and should just be placed at the 20 to save time and energy that players use by sprinting down the field. they need to stop changing so many rules and leave the game as it is.

Edited by GOBILLS!!!!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That these kickoffs that happened last year were terrible! I never seem to see anyone complaining about the fact that almost every return last year was a touchback. This is terrible for football because it ruins one of the best and most exciting moments during the game. Obviously goodell did this to reduce injuries but really how much did it help? Plus most of the players that play special teams are back up players anyways and it just doesn't outweigh the importance of field position and other factors that play into returns. When will they be pushed back to the 30 again bc until then the kickoffs are meaningless and should just be placed at the 20 to save time and energy that players use by sprinting down the field. they need to stop changing so many rules and leave the game as it is.

I like your reasoning that backups aren't deserving of being protected from injury.

Didn't it reduce concussions on returns like 50% or more?

I'm not saying the league shouldn't do what it can to protect injuries, but it's a risk you take when you play the game. It takes away a big part of the game, that fan's enjoy, also can swing game momentum. To make that aspect almost negligible hurts the game itself Again it's a good thing players are protected, and it might not seem like much to average joe, but too much more of these rule changes in the interest of "player safety" will run the risk of reducing fans by 50% or more.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I watch football to see big hits. I'm not saying "bounty" like dirty intent to injure hits, but I watch football because of the physical aspect of the game. The kickoff rule, changes some of that. As does the "defenseless receiver" and the rules about protecting quarterbacks and such.

Edited by Stealth

I don't think fans are forgetting about this stupid rule change, we just can not do anything about it. Perhaps fans could picket the stadiums and refuse to buy tickets, but fat chance of that.

It certainly has taken away an important aspect of the game.

Maybe they could make that aspect of the game like touch football. The kick returner would have a little NFL-licensed bandana hanging out of his belt that the opposing kick coverage guys would have to remove to show the returner (punt catcher) has been safely "tackled".

I thought i read somewhere that, while there were fewer injuries on kickoffs, there were fewer returns too, obviously. And that if you broke down injuries per kick return, injuries actually occurred at the same (or maybe even higher) rate. I'll try to look it up when I'm at a computer later.

That these kickoffs that happened last year were terrible! I never seem to see anyone complaining about the fact that almost every return last year was a touchback. This is terrible for football because it ruins one of the best and most exciting moments during the game. Obviously goodell did this to reduce injuries but really how much did it help? Plus most of the players that play special teams are back up players anyways and it just doesn't outweigh the importance of field position and other factors that play into returns. When will they be pushed back to the 30 again bc until then the kickoffs are meaningless and should just be placed at the 20 to save time and energy that players use by sprinting down the field. they need to stop changing so many rules and leave the game as it is.

i think they should kick off from the 20. Make the kickoff a real play every time.

Edited by 8and8Forever

You "keep forgetting" that they are kicking off from the same spot they did until 1993 (and without the big runup they were allowed back then)? I don't recall any fans complaining back during the Bills 4 year SB run about the spot for kickoffs.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Back ups are people to! lol

It seemed to me as the year went on there were more returns. I don't have any data to back that up, more of an observation. Chan's stance was that he had numbers to back up that you don't bring it out, but then it appeared other teams started taking more chances bringing it out.

Edited by Triple Threat

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive subject lines. The topic starter can edit the subject line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

You "keep forgetting" that they are kicking off from the same spot they did until 1993 (and without the big runup they were allowed back then)? I don't recall any fans complaining back during the Bills 4 year SB run about the spot for kickoffs.

THIS ^.

It's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. Believe it or not there WERE still kick off returns for TD's last year, there WERE still big return plays. Less? Maybe, but I'd rather see what offenses and defenses can do anyway. All the rule change did was put the kickoff spot back to where it always had been.

Banning wedges has to do more with fewer big kickoff returns IMO, and I'm fine with that too.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

We forgot because Goodell hypnotized us.

Seriously, though--I hate the rule. Also don't know why people aren't complaining. We all complained the first couple games, then we just stopped.

Turns out one of the most exciting parts of the game is, in fact, being taken away. According to this ESPN story, the touchback rate jumped from 16 percent to 44 percent from the previous season and the average field position after kickoff was reduced by four-plus yards.

I'm with ya--watching guys kneel down in the endzone 44 percent of the time doesn't thrill me.

Edited by JustinAtlanta

It seemed to me as the year went on there were more returns. I don't have any data to back that up, more of an observation. Chan's stance was that he had numbers to back up that you don't bring it out, but then it appeared other teams started taking more chances bringing it out.

I got the same sense that there were more live returns as the season went on; but I don't think it was as much an issue of teams being willing to take more chances bringing it out, but instead there were more teams that began emulating the Bills strategy of kicking the ball to the goalline outside the hashes. At teh beginning of the year, the Bills were virtually the only team in teh league who were showing the confidence in their kicker to place the ball there, and while I also have no data to back this up, but it seemed that by the end of the year half the teams in the league were doing it.

I got the same sense that there were more live returns as the season went on; but I don't think it was as much an issue of teams being willing to take more chances bringing it out, but instead there were more teams that began emulating the Bills strategy of kicking the ball to the goalline outside the hashes. At teh beginning of the year, the Bills were virtually the only team in teh league who were showing the confidence in their kicker to place the ball there, and while I also have no data to back this up, but it seemed that by the end of the year half the teams in the league were doing it.

Agree on thisand lets not forget the weather. While certainly not a cold season, just like a golf ball, as the weather cools your ball does not travel as far with the same force hit. As long as we have McLovin returning returning kicks, i am all for the touchback LOL(and i like him as a CB BTW)

I don't know about "as the year went on," but in entirety, touchbacks increased a whopping 250 percent from the 2010 to 2011 season. Touchdowns on kickoffs decreased nearly 150 percent.

The rule sucks.

I don't think fans are forgetting about this stupid rule change, we just can not do anything about it. Perhaps fans could picket the stadiums and refuse to buy tickets, but fat chance of that.

It certainly has taken away an important aspect of the game.

Maybe they could make that aspect of the game like touch football. The kick returner would have a little NFL-licensed bandana hanging out of his belt that the opposing kick coverage guys would have to remove to show the returner (punt catcher) has been safely "tackled".

We can actually do a lot about it. Complaining on Twitter. Complaining on Facebook. Complaining here. They would listen.

I almost don't even want to watch kickoffs anymore.

Edited by JustinAtlanta

Yeah I sont rember the exact number but I rember Goodell saying how much concussions have been reduced. Concussion per return may not have gone down much tho. Remember these guys especially the ST guys that dont make huge money are trying to live normal lives after their playing days are over.

It may be true across the league that Returns were down but it was more so in Buffalo than anywhere else IMO. Obviously I don't have tape or statistics to show this but I do remember we NEVER took the ball out of the end zone while other teams did against us quite regularly. Not until we found Rogers did we start to really return kicks. Personally it just tells me that Brad Smith sucks and can't even do that right. He was the biggest waste of $16 million I've ever seen. Ralph would have been better off buying every season tix holder a beer each game than signing that @$$hat.

I don't know about "as the year went on," but in entirety, touchbacks increased a whopping 250 percent from the 2010 to 2011 season. Touchdowns on kickoffs decreased nearly 150 percent.

The rule sucks.

We can actually do a lot about it. Complaining on Twitter. Complaining on Facebook. Complaining here. They would listen.

I almost don't even want to watch kickoffs anymore.

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?

Some teams choose to run the kickoffs out from 7-8 yards deep routinely (Jets), and some choose to take a knee almost everytime (Bills). Simple as that.

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?

Some teams choose to run the kickoffs out from 7-8 yards deep routinely (Jets), and some choose to take a knee almost everytime (Bills). Simple as that.

If you think watching kneel downs increase from 16 percent to 44 percent and touchdowns on kickoffs decrease from 23 to 9 is exciting football, then I'll have some extra sharp cheddar.

Look at the stats. Actually, it's as simple as that.

Wow, I had to stop by just to see how people could fill two pages of posts under the [please fix subject] heading. Nice work!

Was thinking the same thing.

Sure sign it's offseason.

If you think watching kneel downs increase from 16 percent to 44 percent and touchdowns on kickoffs decrease from 23 to 9 is exciting football, then I'll have some extra sharp cheddar.

Look at the stats. Actually, it's as simple as that.

Yeah, having to suffer through an extra couple kneel downs per game has completely ruined the excitement of the NFL.

Give that horse another whack, I don't think he's dead enough yet.

Yeah, having to suffer through an extra couple kneel downs per game has completely ruined the excitement of the NFL.

Give that horse another whack, I don't think he's dead enough yet.

One more whack. No one says "it completely" ruins the excitement, just substantially decreases the number of one of the most exciting plays in football.

Do you think kneel downs are exciting?

One more whack. No one says "it completely" ruins the excitement, just substantially decreases the number of one of the most exciting plays in football.

Yeah, but it gives everyone an extra play to get back from the bathroom or refrigerator!

Yes I do. We often have bets on if it will be a right-knee or left-knee taken so the excitement far exceeds the 95% of the kickoffs where the guy runs into a huge pile of people at the 25.

I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I have a great deal of trust in Buddy and Chan, in this third year, to finally please fix the subject.

Don't forget, nobody can [please fix subject] like Dave Wannstedt.

Edited by eball

If you really want to reduce injuries but still have exciting kickoff plays, then do the opposite of what the NFL is doing. Move the kickoff to the 40 yard line (like it was in the 60's ) but have touchbacks be placed at the 30 yard line. I think that teams would become creative and pooch kick trying to avoid the opposition receiving the ball at the 30. The running start would be reduced thus causing less full speed collisions. Of course, players are also injured all the time on on-sides kicks. Just a thought.

We forgot because Goodell hypnotized us.

Seriously, though--I hate the rule. Also don't know why people aren't complaining. We all complained the first couple games, then we just stopped.

Turns out one of the most exciting parts of the game is, in fact, being taken away. According to this ESPN story, the touchback rate jumped from 16 percent to 44 percent from the previous season and the average field position after kickoff was reduced by four-plus yards.

I'm with ya--watching guys kneel down in the endzone 44 percent of the time doesn't thrill me.

On the other hand it does reduce the risk of Leodis fumbling.