Demetrius Bell - Now an Eagle

He's protecting Vick, and not on the blindside and it's a high profile setting. Play being equal he's much better off in philly

He knows the offense here and all the terminology with it. On a 1 year deal essentially, looking to show everything and cash in the year after, I would stick with what I know. If our defense is better and Fred Jackson is back, we could be a hot rising team again and Bell would benefit from that. With a left handed and highly mobile guy like Vick and learning a new offense, he's taking a big risk.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another big thing for Bell signing with Philly, is the fact that he's all but guarenteed to start at LT.

Buddy probably told Bell he'd be competing with Hairston and a possible draft pick for the rights to start at LT. Assuming he'll be a FA again in 2013 Bell would certainly rather be a starter for the Eagles than a backup for the Bills.

This. I think that being named the starter at LT was the biggest thing for him. And the money isn't terrible. I doubt the Bills offered him the starter's role OR that much money.

Another big thing for Bell signing with Philly, is the fact that he's all but guarenteed to start at LT.

Buddy probably told Bell he'd be competing with Hairston and a possible draft pick for the rights to start at LT. Assuming he'll be a FA again in 2013 Bell would certainly rather be a starter for the Eagles than a backup for the Bills.

Just like Doc says above, Estro is spot on. The Bills probably would not give Bell a guaranteed starting spot, and the Eagles would. But the Eagles are protected when Peters comes back the following year. So this essentially gives Bell a guaranteed starting spot for decent money and the chance to showcase his abilities for next year's free agency period. That's probably the best Bell could get at this point. And I imagine the Bills are interested in something longer-term, and were not ready to commit big money to him for, say, a four or five year deal. Better to stick with Hairston and see if he can develop, or pick a LT early and have him develop with the rest of the young guys.

Jason Peter's getting hurt screwed this whole thing up for us. We would have had much more flexiblity in the draft if we had been able to re-sign him.

I would love to know what the Bills actually offered him (rather than conjecture). Where is Nevergiveup?

Jason Peter's getting hurt screwed this whole thing up for us. We would have had much more flexiblity in the draft if we had been able to re-sign him.

I would love to know what the Bills actually offered him (rather than conjecture). Where is Nevergiveup?

So far Peters's injuries have screwed us out of TWO starting LTs!! :thumbsup:

theres something here that we must not know because on the surface this looks like a dumb move by bell

as the starting left tackle the bills offer had to be at least three mil per. it was also likely an incentive laden contract that would have escalated the better he did including the more games he played. he could have stayed in a system he knows and if he played well could have cemented the job for good

that logic changes if the bills tell him things he didnt like to hear, for example

- they plan to draft a lt if they can with an early pick. tho hes still in a similar situation in philly where the job aint gonna be his next season when peters returns

- they plan to give hairston an equal shot at the job and might platoon that spot. they likely would give him that shot anyway but perhaps they were honest with bell about not necessarily feeling he is their left tackle of the future

- they told him they are not confident in his physical abilities due to his injuries. cant blame them really but not something you want to hear if youre bell

- bills werent going to negotiate. if they gave him a take it or leave it contract, somewhat understandable on the bills part, perhaps it set a bad tone to bell and he just didnt want to stay here anymore

i would have loved to have him back here for three mil per but really something is wrong with this story somewhere so im just gonna trust chuddy and say good luck but good bye mailmanson

Edited by Meathead

Personally I think he is rolling the dice.....especially if we offered him more stability (which something tells me we did not)

I have long been a supporter of Bell as I love it when guys work their way from the bottom to the top......and i am not going to start bashing him now.....

- He moves well....when healthy he was solid

- I think the team really soured on him because of injuries.....and that showed by playing Hairston over him even when he healed up.

The Bell era is over.......long live the Hairston - player to be named era.

We have no idea what Buffalo's offer was to him. I suspect it was far less.

It's a great deal for Philly, IMO. And about the most that Bell could have imagined getting in the real world. Now he makes 3.25 million to show he can play at a high level for a full year. That seems about right to me. Not a huge risk for the Eagles, who now have at least a decent to good player at LT in an important season for them. If Bell plays well, they have their option of keeping him relatively cheap.

So who does Philly get to play LT for the 9 games Bell's injured?

This. I think that being named the starter at LT was the biggest thing for him. And the money isn't terrible. I doubt the Bills offered him the starter's role OR that much money.

It's likely the starter's role. If he faced competition and didn't keep the starting position in Buffalo then it was likely his last contract (maybe a flyer on league minimum). Philly has no one to compete with him at that position and have a mobile QB. Terrible contract, terrible security though. If he gets hurt again this year, that is going to be his last contract.

Of course, last season teams liked to beat Vick like they thought candy was going to come out of him. I imagine we'll see a lot of that early in the year again.

I just get the impression that Bell didn't want to play for the Bills. Perhaps they didn't really want him back either. No one here knows what has gone on between him and the organization, or other players. He hasn't come out and said anything derogatory about Buffalo, it's fans, or even the Bills. The Bills had him for pretty cheap while he was here, too.

Let the guy get on with his career, no need to hate the guy.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I just get the impression that Bell didn't want to play for the Bills. Perhaps they didn't really want him back wither. No one here knows what has gone on between him and the organization, or other players. He hasn't come out and said anything derogatory about Buffalo, it's fans, or even the Bills. The Bills had him for pretty cheap while he was here, too.

Let the guy get on with his career, no need to hate the guy.

Seemed like a case of, "well, I like you, but only if Susie doesn't like me back." between the Bills and Bell. Then Bell got dumped by a bunch of other teams until Peters got hurt and couldn't go to prom.

Of course, last season teams liked to beat Vick like they thought candy was going to come out of him. I imagine we'll see a lot of that early in the year again.

Jeremy, that is hilarious. It actually made me laugh out loud.

Ron Mexico and the pinata analogy....

Chris Hariston will be the starter LT day 1.

You heard it hear first.

We believe he can be a franchise LT, or we would not have said that.

that is crazy talk! I do think Hairston will start at LT though as we go for a recieve in the draft. Bye bye Donald Jones also.

This is stupid on Bell's part. In a 1 year showcase he should have stayed with the Bills and could have done as well here. He already knows the offense. That's what I was advocating on another thread on Bell. If he has a good year and stays healthy he can cash in then with an even bigger contract. He would be 28 and just hitting his prime... if he has a bad year, the Eagles will let him go at the end of the year, just like the Bills would have. I think he could have done better by doing a 1 year deal w/ the Bills

The key difference, IMHO, is that the Bills seem intent on replacing Bell. Bell has frequently been in Gailey's doghouse while Nix talks about Bell's durability and drafting LTs. If Bell stayed here and the Bills drafted a new LT in the top couple of picks then there would be 3 possible candidates for starting LT and there would be a realistic chance of him not getting to "showcase his abilities". I think that Bell just decided that he was better off somewhere else where he was basically guaranteed to start rather that battling for the job in Buffalo.

Edited by vincec

Who cares? As far as I'm concerned Bell can go hang out with Jonas Jennings after this season. Btw, this Jason Peters is still a big pain in the ass, isn't he. Him, Bell and that fat pig Andy Reid can all go hang out at some pie eating contest.

Tipster!

That wasn't very nice… but kinda funny.

Tipster!

That wasn't very nice… but kinda funny.

I know, you're right but I am so sick and tired of the Eagles. Ever since that whole Marshawn Lynch fiasco and then the Jason Peters thing I guess that I had enough of them always trying to rip us off with their low ball trade offers. I was ecstatic when they crashed and burned last year. Andy Reid is one of the biggest (and fattest!) liars in the league. One can't boil the truth out of that guy!

The Ghost of Jason Peters continues to haunt the Bills !