Demetrius Bell - Now an Eagle

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be willing to bet we offered a a 4 year deal with smaller roster bonus and similar money. If Peters is healthy next year, Bell will be a free agent again. This was his chance at a one year showcase. If he gets cut after having a good year he could make a big pay day either by staying with Philly or somewhere else as a free agent. Kudos to Bells agent for setting up that deal

I'd be willing to bet we offered a a 4 year deal with smaller roster bonus and similar money. If Peters is healthy next year, Bell will be a free agent again. This was his chance at a one year showcase. If he gets cut after having a good year he could make a big pay day either by staying with Philly or somewhere else as a free agent. Kudos to Bells agent for setting up that deal

This is stupid on Bell's part. In a 1 year showcase he should have stayed with the Bills and could have done as well here. He already knows the offense. That's what I was advocating on another thread on Bell. If he has a good year and stays healthy he can cash in then with an even bigger contract. He would be 28 and just hitting his prime... if he has a bad year, the Eagles will let him go at the end of the year, just like the Bills would have. I think he could have done better by doing a 1 year deal w/ the Bills

We have no idea what Buffalo's offer was to him. I suspect it was far less.

It's a great deal for Philly, IMO. And about the most that Bell could have imagined getting in the real world. Now he makes 3.25 million to show he can play at a high level for a full year. That seems about right to me. Not a huge risk for the Eagles, who now have at least a decent to good player at LT in an important season for them. If Bell plays well, they have their option of keeping him relatively cheap.

It's a great deal for Philly, IMO. And about the most that Bell could have imagined getting in the real world. Now he makes 3.25 million to show he can play at a high level for a full year. That seems about right to me. Not a huge risk for the Eagles, who now have at least a decent to good player at LT in an important season for them. If Bell plays well, they have their option of keeping him relatively cheap.

Exactly,... this was stupid on Bell's part. I think pride in staying w/ the Bills on a 1 year deal got in the way of a better business decision

Per Rotoworld:

Eagles LT Demetress Bell's five-year, $35 million contract is essentially a one-year, $3.25 million deal, and includes an $8.5 million 2013 roster bonus.

As previously reported, Bell's contract includes no guarantees beyond 2012. He'll receive a $2 million roster bonus and $100,000 workout bonus on top of his $1.15 million 2012 base salary. It's very little guaranteed money for one of the "jewels" of an extremely thin tackle market, and his prohibitive 2013 roster bonus will force the Eagles to make a decision on the final four years of his "five-year deal." It's more likely Bell hits the market again next offseason than plays out the life of his Eagles contract.

That's peanuts for a starting LT....word out of Philly is that Peters was critical in getting Bell to sign with Philly. For 3.25M, I woulda been interested in keeping him around for a year, see if he can stay healthy, but it seems he didn't want to be here...

If the Bills offered similar annual money, it would be a surprise that Bell didn't accept it. I wonder what Peters was whispering in his ear ("stop working for those cheap ******** and come play for a real organization"?). Bell should realize that if Peters comes back healthy in a year, there is no way he will see the 2013 bonus and Peters return will be the reason for him being back on the street. I realize that this is an awful lot of speculation but this smells of a stupid decision on Bell's part. Perhaps his agent and Peters convinced him that the Eagles' deal was somehow better.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I wouldn't have complained one bit if the Bills signed D. Bell to the exact same deal. The terms of the deal confirm my suspicions that the Eagles are renting Bell for 1 year and that's it. Even if Bell were to play at a high level for all 16 games there is no way he sees the $8+ million bonus in 2013.

The difference in Bell's mind, is that he may actually believe Philly will keep him beyond Year 1, where as he knew he'd never see big money from the Bills. For this season at $3 million though, Bell is a bargain for the Eagles.

If the Bills offered similar annual money, it would be a surprise that Bell didn't accept it. I wonder what Peters was whispering in his ear ("stop working for those cheap ******** and come play for a real organization"?). Bell should realize that if Peters comes back healthy in a year, there is no way he will see the 2013 bonus and Peters return will be the reason for him being back on the street. I realize that this is an awful lot of speculation but this smells of a stupid decision on Bell's part. Perhaps his agent and Peters convinced him that the Eagles' deal was somehow better.

Or more likely, IMO, he and his agent thought he was going to get offered much more money than he did, and gambled by not signing anywhere that someone would appear and give them closer to what they were asking for. And when Peters got hurt, the Eagles did just that, and offered him a lot more than anyone else, including the Bills.

Another big thing for Bell signing with Philly, is the fact that he's all but guarenteed to start at LT.

Buddy probably told Bell he'd be competing with Hairston and a possible draft pick for the rights to start at LT. Assuming he'll be a FA again in 2013 Bell would certainly rather be a starter for the Eagles than a backup for the Bills.

This is stupid on Bell's part. In a 1 year showcase he should have stayed with the Bills and could have done as well here. He already knows the offense. That's what I was advocating on another thread on Bell. If he has a good year and stays healthy he can cash in then with an even bigger contract. He would be 28 and just hitting his prime... if he has a bad year, the Eagles will let him go at the end of the year, just like the Bills would have. I think he could have done better by doing a 1 year deal w/ the Bills

He's protecting Vick, and not on the blindside and it's a high profile setting. Play being equal he's much better off in philly

Edited by NoSaint

Or more likely, IMO, he and his agent thought he was going to get offered much more money than he did, and gambled by not signing anywhere that someone would appear and give them closer to what they were asking for. And when Peters got hurt, the Eagles did just that, and offered him a lot more than anyone else, including the Bills.

I have a tough time believing that the Bills were offering significantly less than $3 MM especially given the current stack of LTs (or lack thereof) on the team. Hence, though the $8+ MM roster bonus for 2013 seems attractive at this point, there is very little chance Bell actually sees it. Hence, it is a gamble on Bell's part.

Who cares? As far as I'm concerned Bell can go hang out with Jonas Jennings after this season. Btw, this Jason Peters is still a big pain in the ass, isn't he. Him, Bell and that fat pig Andy Reid can all go hang out at some pie eating contest.

Bell had some bad luck or a bad agent. He should have gotten more guaranteed money.

If you were an NFL GM, you would have given Bell a huge guaranteed contract? In his best year he was mediocre. He still has potential to be pretty good if not very good. But he has never been good for a full season. And at his best has only been pretty good. Why would you take that gamble?

Peters

no doubt about that, Peters needs a good jewish accountant or he'll be broke before his 50ish stroke and premature death. Sorry for the big man, but that seems to be the formula for O linemen from the NFL. Broke then dead young.