Demetrius Bell - Now an Eagle

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget that the Eagles didn't get Peters for free. We got a 1st that turned into Wood and two other picks, so I would say that we didn't loose the thing there. Now to pay bell the 7 mill that the eagles did would mean we wouldn't be able to add the second pass rusher or re-up Jackson. Thats a no brainer, Bell didnt look much/any better than Hairston. Now consider that Bell was a 4 year veteran and Hairston was a rookie with out a full off-season due to the lockout. To OVERPAY an unproven guy makes no cents at all regardless of the position they play.

This.

Mario, Anderson and SJ cost us a lot of cap space. We still want to extend Jackson. We still have to pay our draftees, and FA isn't over. We made an offer to Bell and he wanted more; more power to him. I am actually glad to say we spent enough this year we couldn't pay Bell the money he demanded. There are always trade-offs; I think Buddy is making the right decisions. Didn't want to see Roscoe go either but you can't pay all the vets what they want and still bring in talent like Williams.

Thats your opinion, isnt it?

And i mean it honestly. You got a Micheal Vick that took a beating last year, and probably will again this year. If he goes down who do they have to back him up?

I am being very serious. And Vicks style of play lends him to getting hit more often then most QB's.

I get that on paper they look great, but i wouldn't bet on them. They play in the same division as the Giants. The Cowboys are solid but not great. A lot of teams in the NFC got better. Packers will be hungry, Detroit is a team on the rise, Chicago is still a tough out, The Saints and Falcons are very solid teams. Carolina and Tampa Bay will be improved.

San Fran should win the west. Not much else out there, i will give you that.

You could be right, but to say it is a done deal for the Eagles is a stretch.

When pretty much anyone talks about "a playoff team" it means they have been in the playoffs recently, they have a strong team all around, and should make the playoffs and contend for the Super Bowl. The Eagles are a playoff team, regardless of last year when they missed out by one game in a freak season, after making the playoffs three straight years before and 9 of the previous 11.

From the Eagles Website...

Bell had spelled his first name Demetrius his entire life, but recently found out that the correct spelling is Demetress. That is the reason for the change of spelling for his first name.

...what did he score on his Wonderlic?

WOW!

I have a brother named Daryl. My entire childhood and most of my adult life I thought his named was spelled "Daryle" because he changed it when I was like 6-7 years old due to Daryle Lamonica. I found out like when I was 35 years old his real name was Daryl.

I never am the one to wish injury on anybody. (even Brady). I said I wish Bell health and understand it was a business move which will benefit his and his familys' life... But It's F Bell, F Poz, F Whitner, F Mularkey and F McGayhee right now... I don't wish success on the football field for any of those guys. I'm a fan man what can I say...

I agree with this (minus the F-bomb -- I'd use "screw").

"Former" is self explanatory. I'm a BILLS fan first and foremost. Secondarily, I'm an NFL fan. I'd rather spend my time rooting for the current crew than following the formers.

No offense to them; they're (mostly) good people, and the NFL is a business. But it cuts both ways. By leaving us, the basically said "see ya" (ESPECIALLY those offered a contract). I'm simply returning the sentiment.

P.S. I hated Thurman for going to the Fish, and I have mixed feelings of him because of it. I never followed Bruce post-Buffalo until the Hall induction. Rightly or wrongly, I'm consistent.

BA

When pretty much anyone talks about "a playoff team" it means they have been in the playoffs recently, they have a strong team all around, and should make the playoffs and contend for the Super Bowl. The Eagles are a playoff team, regardless of last year when they missed out by one game in a freak season, after making the playoffs three straight years before and 9 of the previous 11.

yeah and you never know its over till you look back and remember when you had it. Kinda like Buffalo since 99.

Yeah, that Jason Peters, what a jerk. Hated the Bills. Hated Buffalo. Only out for himself.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/05/demetress-bell-calls-jason-peters-like-a-big-brother/

Pouted like a 2 year old, didn't return phone calls, showed up out of shape, and put his teammate's health at sake. I always am in favor of NFL players making every cent they can but Peters handled his situation as poorly as you possibly can.

I have a million times more respect for Bell than Peters.

Pouted like a 2 year old, didn't return phone calls, showed up out of shape, and put his teammate's health at sake. I always am in favor of NFL players making every cent they can but Peters handled his situation as poorly as you possibly can.

I have a million times more respect for Bell than Peters.

Jim Kelly turned his back on the Bills and spit on them for a couple years, and he is arguably the best and most beloved player in Bills history. Eric Moulds was a great player and completely quit on the team and his teammates with an act that was, IMO, far, far worse than what Peters did. But they were great Bills and should be remembered as such. Bell didnt return calls either. The only thing IMO you can really fault Peters for, was showing up out of shape for the first few games, which, oh, btw, we won every single one of them (not that he was the reason, the point is he didnt hurt the team that much by it).

Jim Kelly turned his back on the Bills and spit on them for a couple years, and he is arguably the best and most beloved player in Bills history. Eric Moulds was a great player and completely quit on the team and his teammates with an act that was, IMO, far, far worse than what Peters did. But they were great Bills and should be remembered as such. Bell didnt return calls either. The only thing IMO you can really fault Peters for, was showing up out of shape for the first few games, which, oh, btw, we won every single one of them (not that he was the reason, the point is he didnt hurt the team that much by it).

Everyone knows Trent's injury history. Peters gave up the most sacks in the NFL that year. How could you say he wasn't hurting the team?

Seriously, if he returned calls and showed up in shape, I would have zero problem with how he handled the situation, even though he did get an extension a year before. That said, considering he had his best season last year and the Eagles went 8-8 (including a loss to us), it's more proof that LT isn't the need position it used to be.

Everyone knows Trent's injury history. Peters gave up the most sacks in the NFL that year. How could you say he wasn't hurting the team?

Seriously, if he returned calls and showed up in shape, I would have zero problem with how he handled the situation, even though he did get an extension a year before. That said, considering he had his best season last year and the Eagles went 8-8 (including a loss to us), it's more proof that LT isn't the need position it used to be.

I can say that because by game three or so, he was in shape. He didn't have his best season, I am not excusing his decision one bit. All I am saying is in 4-5 years he was an incredible story, player, and worked his ass off for the Bills and loved Buffalo and wanted to stay with the Bills, and his bad decision and big mistake of not showing up in shape was BAD but an aberration, and not a clear indication of him as a person or Bill and shouldn't be looked at that way, either at the time or in retrospect.

The Bills still wanted to keep him and offered him a ton of money. They just didn't want to pay him 10 mil a year which was not only the going rate but what other teams were willing to pay him. We wanted to pay him 8-9 million. It was a legitimate stance by the Bills (not the right one in my mind, but surely a legitimate one). He wasn't a jerk, he didn't screw the Bills over, he wanted to stay, he liked where he was. I take a little umbrage with a lot of people's stance that he was an ass and wanted out and had a crappy attitude, although everyone is entitled to their opinion. 99% of the time he was in Buffalo he had a great attitude.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

He's playing LT for the most mobile left handed qb in the league. It's hardly fair comparing that to a traditional LT

Copout? Dude are you serious? Holes being poked? What the hell are you talking about. You act like I'm going to sit here and break down all the reasons why we should have re-signed him and keep talking about a player who's not ours anymore... It's F Bell right now... I gotta whole lot of F's in the chamber if you want one just ask...

I like the way you think bruh...

You sound like you were on the wrong side of the fist in a stadium before...

I never am the one to wish injury on anybody. (even Brady). I said I wish Bell health and understand it was a business move which will benefit his and his familys' life... But It's F Bell, F Poz, F Whitner, F Mularkey and F McGayhee right now...

I don't wish success on the football field for any of those guys. I'm a fan man what can I say...

lightweight with a keyboard.

'lots of F's in the chamber.' wow, who you trying to impress? heck, with a retort such as this, i'm surprised you even got to F.

and then to further prove yourself to be an internet "tough guy," you proceed to go after another poster by suggesting he was on the wrong side of a fist. ... goodness me, how utterly laughable.

wishing or not wishing success is your prerogative, but must you filthy up this thread with such blabber exposing yourself as something beyond a fan, and instead a blind fanatic?

jw

'lots of F's in the chamber.' wow, who you trying to impress? heck, with a retort such as this, i'm surprised you even got to F.

and then to further prove yourself to be an internet "tough guy," you proceed to go after another poster by suggesting he was on the wrong side of a fist. ... goodness me, how utterly laughable.

wishing or not wishing success is your prerogative, but must you filthy up this thread with such blabber exposing yourself as something beyond a fan, and instead a blind fanatic?

jw

jw,

With respect to some of the juvenile responses on this board just ignore them. They are not worth commenting on. Sometimes its very embarrassing to participate on a forum with such classless posters. For the most part the participants are responsible and thoughtful.

The consensus thinking is that the Bills will draft an OT or two in this draft. Do you know if they are tracking any free agents to add to the roster? Our current LT staffing is precariously thin. It's remarkable how the Jason Peters departure still reverberates for this franchise.

To change the topic: I'm very sure that the LA Dodgers $2.1 Billion auction got the attention of Ralph Wilson and his estate planners.

jw

No internet tough guys here dude. I'll give you all the info you need to come see me without giving me any information in return. If you disagree with what I say in posts it would be best if you in your words took a "lightweight" approach instead of violating. Before you want to go the disrespectful route, realize you're talking to a grown man... You're right about one thing. I'm not advanced technologically with computers and such things. What makes me laugh though is the courage you have behind your screen knowing damn well face to face you wouldn't dare talk the way you do... Believe it...

jw,

With respect to some of the juvenile responses on this board just ignore them. They are not worth commenting on. Sometimes its very embarrassing to participate on a forum with such classless posters. For the most part the participants are responsible and thoughtful.

The consensus thinking is that the Bills will draft an OT or two in this draft. Do you know if they are tracking any free agents to add to the roster? Our current LT staffing is precariously thin. It's remarkable how the Jason Peters departure still reverberates for this franchise.

To change the topic: I'm very sure that the LA Dodgers $2.1 Billion auction got the attention of Ralph Wilson and his estate planners.

well, most here are thoughtful and responsible. me, being one who has an occasional want to tilt at windmills, i like to do my part in calling out the yahoos. ;)

that said, i don't know if the Dodgers sale makes a difference. it could up the price of the Bills slightly, but the dynamics -- from what i can see -- are very different.

1) the Dodgers have a TV deal in which the new owners can recoup a large chunk of their money quickly.

2) the Dodgers are one of North American sports most iconic franchises and a large and vibrant city that, last time i was there, and it was a while ago seems to back baseball.

3) if i read this correctly, part of the deal included land around the stadium, which is open to be developed, once again allowing the new owners to begin recouping their money.

$2.1 million is a lot of money, and i don't know many franchises that can attract that type of coin.

my thoughts.

jw

No internet tough guys here dude. I'll give you all the info you need to come see me without giving me any information in return. If you disagree with what I say in posts it would be best if you in your words took a "lightweight" approach instead of violating. Before you want to go the disrespectful route, realize you're talking to a grown man... You're right about one thing. I'm not advanced technologically with computers and such things. What makes me laugh though is the courage you have behind your screen knowing damn well face to face you wouldn't dare talk the way you do... Believe it...

here's another f word for you: Fraud.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

Jennings, Peters, Walker, Bell.

Eventually, the Bills are going to have to find a left tackle they like, and pay that player what the market commands. It's not cheapness but it's either bad luck or mis-evaluation, or both. It's really enough already with this stuff - just find a goddarn left tackle.

jw

You get by with personal attacks because of your name. And you use your name, don't you?

Edited by Franz Kafka

Per Rotoworld:

Eagles LT Demetress Bell's five-year, $35 million contract is essentially a one-year, $3.25 million deal, and includes an $8.5 million 2013 roster bonus.

As previously reported, Bell's contract includes no guarantees beyond 2012. He'll receive a $2 million roster bonus and $100,000 workout bonus on top of his $1.15 million 2012 base salary. It's very little guaranteed money for one of the "jewels" of an extremely thin tackle market, and his prohibitive 2013 roster bonus will force the Eagles to make a decision on the final four years of his "five-year deal." It's more likely Bell hits the market again next offseason than plays out the life of his Eagles contract.

That's peanuts for a starting LT....word out of Philly is that Peters was critical in getting Bell to sign with Philly. For 3.25M, I woulda been interested in keeping him around for a year, see if he can stay healthy, but it seems he didn't want to be here...