Demetrius Bell - Now an Eagle

LT is almost a lock for us at #10 in the first round now.

Man, I hope not. Hopefully in the 2nd or 3rd. I want Floyd (or Blackmon if he happens to be there) bad. Unless we're able to trade down some spots, pick up another 3rd or 4th, and then I'd be OK with someone like Adams, Reiff, or Martin with the first.

Edited by Mark80

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we see the contract I would bet that the Eagles can get out of it relatively cheap after one year, and if Bell becomes a solid starter, they get him relatively cheap over the next four. That was likely the best way to go on a contract for a team, especially when the Eagles do not know how Peters will return. If Peters comes back, they can release or even trade Bell. If he cannot, they have Bell. If he cannot and Bell tanks, they have to look for a new guy anyway, and they don't get killed on Bell's contract.

The Eagles, because they have a playoff team, and because of the hole at LT that just propped up, were probably much more willing to throw a couple million more at Bell than others. I don't think it really has much of an affect on Peters future. He has to prove he can return at 100% regardless.

I got laughed at when I suggested we re-sign Bell to a 5 year $25 million deal, but 5 for 35? Come on!!! That's WAY too much.

We get draft picks for this, correct? Anyone know the formula for this? Big Contract, if he turns out to be a starter, I think we get a pretty good pick..

There was no way Buffalo was going to give Bell that kind of money

Well _maybe_ we might have, if he'd have been able to stay healthy. I'd rather have him than not have him, but that's too much money.

I don't blame him for taking the money and running. He's clearly not going to stay healthy for the long haul, so he's got to get it while he can.

Yeah, that's kind of weird. Both Peters and Bell were really unpolished coming out of college. We taught them both how to be NFL tackles and they both cashed in with the Eagles.

They cashed in, but the Eagles really haven't. So far.

The sad thing is that, if Peters had not gotten hurt, we probably would have been able to re-sign him and for a lot less.

It sucks that a healthy Jason Peters or D. Bell is not our left tackle right now. Instead, we will need to address this critical position yet again -- while serving as the freaking Eagles' minor league team for developing left tackles.

We get draft picks for this, correct? Anyone know the formula for this? Big Contract, if he turns out to be a starter, I think we get a pretty good pick..

The sigings and loss of free agents gets netted out by the league. With the Williams and Anderson signings, the Bills will get no compensation.

Man to think what percentage of the board thought he'd be league minimum. His game checks will be close to that annual salary!

I agree it likely has 1, probably more, easy outs in it and I'd bet there are a lot of incentives too over the long haul

And yes, I know when you break out bonus money and such game checks will be lower- you get my point though.

The sigings and loss of free agents gets netted out by the league. With the Williams and Anderson signings, the Bills will get no compensation.

This and roscoe cancel those. Have we lost anyone else?

Eagles and Sporting News Corresponded reports:

Geoff Mosher ‏ @geoffmosher Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Working on numbers for Bell's deal, but @Tim_McManus is reporting 5 years, $35 million. Guessing he'd have to hit mucho escalators for that.

Or maybe he wouldn't have to hit mucho escalators for that.

I think it's serious overpayment for a guy who spent large portions of the season on IR and got benched in a preseason game for "not being consistent" but whaddo I know