What is plan B at Wide Receiver?

jahnyc

Seems like all of the top FA wide receivers have already signed with other teams. V. Jackson, Colston, Morgan, and Garcon are all gone. Lloyd is over 30 and Manningham is not much of an upgrade. A strong #2 WR is a big need.

I think the Bills really thought they were going to sign Meachem and Williams. With Bell not re-signed, I am guessing they were going to draft a LT if all of this played out as planned.

You have to wonder what numbskull said the Bills were sure they'd sign both players within 24 hours. It's anyone's guess, but losing out on Meachem despite getting him in the door is harsh. At least they've got Donald Jones, David Nelson, Marcus Easley, Derek Hagan, David Clowney, and Naaman Roosevelt. Those guys are probably loving the non-signing. ;)

I don't think there was a Plan B with what's transpired.

When, exactly, did a no. 2 WR become a huge priority? About 5 minutes after we learned some dude from NO was visiting? Relax. There are other, much more important, needs. Robert Meacham was not going to turn the team into anything other than what it will become on its own. (What THAT is, I can't tell you.)

Just want to add one silly little thought...if one of our biggest needs on O (outside of LT) is a WR to stretch the field (read run fly patterns), why not consider bringing Lee Evans back? He culd get deep and on a cap friendly contract...why not? We get speed (if he still has it) and Lee (who was a good soldier for years) get to stay in the NFL.

Meachem goes to SD to be their #1. He wasn't going to be that here, and he wouldn't have gotten paid like it either. Now if Meachem took less money from SD than we offered, that would hurt. I highly doubt that's the case. Let's remember this is a 650-yard/yr WR.

Meachem goes to SD to be their #1. He wasn't going to be that here, and he wouldn't have gotten paid like it either. Now if Meachem took less money from SD than we offered, that would hurt. I highly doubt that's the case. Let's remember this is a 650-yard/yr WR.

Actually there was an unconfirmed report stating the terms of the offer to Meachem.

Based on that report, it's more than what he signed in San Diego for.

You know this 8 hours into free agency?

The options are dwindling. They bet the farm on signing him and he went elsewhere.

The WR depth chart is littered with former UDFAs, practice squad types, late round picks, and guys who've played on multiple teams. It's not looking good.

The two guys I liked before free agency were Garcon and Laurent Robinson.

Robinson is still available, I believe.

Manningham is also out there. I'm not a big fan of the guy but as a number 2 receiver, he's better than anyone on our roster, IMO.

Brandon Lloyd is still out there too though he's 30-years old, has had a spotty career, and anyways, there's the belief that he'll rejoin Josh McDaniels in New England.

I hope they can shift gears quickly and call an agent tonight.

Also, Early Doucet is still out there.

I'd be thrilled with Laurent Robinson.

Laurent Robinson's wiki entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurent_robinson

Check out his combine numbers… sub 4.4 on a slow track in Indy, 6'2", 200 pounds, and in just 14 games last year (he signed late) with only 4 starts he had 858 yards and 11 TDs.

He averaged 15.9 yards per reception and the handful of games I watched, outshone Dez Bryant and Miles Austin by a wide margin.

Not enthusiastic about the free agent WRs that are left. The Bills can draft a WR, but WRs usually take time to develop. Others may disagree, but I think a #2 WR is a big need.

With the offense Chan runs, a #2 WR is a HUGE need. Meachem would have made this offense a lot better, there's no other way around it.

I think they want to go LT in the first round, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them grab Floyd instead. Fitz needs another target besides Stevie and Nelson. The rest of the WRs on the roster are suspect at best.

1331701634[/url]' post='2404825']

Manningham is also out there. I'm not a big fan of the guy but as a number 2 receiver, he's better than anyone on our roster, IMO.

Brandon Lloyd is still out there too though he's 30-years old, has had a spotty career, and anyways, there's the belief that he'll rejoin Josh McDaniels in New England.

http://en.wikipedia....aurent_robinson

Check out his combine numbers… sub 4.4 on a slow track in Indy, 6'2", 200 pounds, and in just 14 games last year (he signed late) with only 4 starts he had 858 yards and 11 TDs.

He averaged 15.9 yards per reception and the handful of games I watched, outshone Dez Bryant and Miles Austin by a wide margin.

Good call on all 3. I'd like these guys the most of what's left. Robinson, Lloyd, doucet, manningham in that order. While I think manningham may be a little better than doucet, I think doucet would be a lot cheaper, while similar in talent. I love Lloyd's talent and his age doesn't really bother me. Geez, I'm even starting to think cheap, like Ralph.

Edited by NewEra

Man I would love to sign Robinson. For some reason, however, I don't think we make much noise outside of Mario and Meachem.

But hypothetically if the Bills liked Robinson, wouldn't they just take the money they allocated for "the one that got away" and re-allocate it to whomever is left?

But hypothetically if the Bills liked Robinson, wouldn't they just take the money they allocated for "the one that got away" and re-allocate it to whomever is left?

Theoretically, yes. I hope that's what they do. I'm still in stage 5 Mario-Watch at this point though.

The best thing about getting Meachem would have been that it meant the Bills wouldn't have to use an early draft pick on a WR. That's why I hope this hole is addressed in free agency before the draft -- it just gives the Bills a lot more flexibility come draft day.

You would think. For whatever reason, they must have liked meachum more than the rest. It is still early. Lots left to play out

Bills prolly liked Vincent Jackson best, but knew they'd have to target someone who'd command less so that they could set their sights on Mario. That's why it'll sting a bit harder if Mario ends up elsewhere, because the fact of the matter is that's probably what held up courting Vincent Jackson. Let's hope Mario signs tomorrow. I do find it odd no ones reported exactly what other team he's expected to visit. You'd think one of these reporters would have word on where Mario will be headed next if he does indeed leave. Perhaps it's more of a bluff to squeeze a bit more out of the Bills, proabably not, but just a hope.

Just want to add one silly little thought...if one of our biggest needs on O (outside of LT) is a WR to stretch the field (read run fly patterns), why not consider bringing Lee Evans back? He culd get deep and on a cap friendly contract...why not? We get speed (if he still has it) and Lee (who was a good soldier for years) get to stay in the NFL.

Isn't he like the 5th wide receiver from the Ravens that dropped a td pass in the playoffs?

Seems like all of the top FA wide receivers have already signed with other teams. V. Jackson, Colston, Morgan, and Garcon are all gone. Lloyd is over 30 and Manningham is not much of an upgrade. A strong #2 WR is a big need.

still have the draft, maybe they take Floyd or Stephen Hill.

theres always t.o.

:worthy:

Draft wr

In this draft, I'm leaning toward drafting an OT. I think it's the safest bet (the top three are all solid imo). This had to be what our front office was thinking as well, but now I suppose we'll have to see the approach they take during the remainder of free agency.

Which WR would you like to see them target?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurent_robinson

Couldn't agree more... This whole time I've been wondering why Robinson's name hasn't come up. He'd be a great signing and proved last year that he's a red zone threat. He had 3 multi-TD games including games against the Bills and the Super Bowl Champs, the NY Giants..

Buffalo may not even go after him, especially based on the interest he's getting elsewhere.. but I can't believe he's not at least in the discussion.. particularly after they went after Meachem aggressively.

The options are dwindling. They bet the farm on signing him and he went elsewhere.

The WR depth chart is littered with former UDFAs, practice squad types, late round picks, and guys who've played on multiple teams. It's not looking good.

You mean guys like Stevie Johnson??? :unsure:

Folks tend to forget that SJ was a 7th-round pick. Who cares if Donald Jones, Naaman Roosevelt, David Nelson, et al were undrafted??? Hell, Wes Welker was undrafted.

Yeah, a #2 WR to 'stretch the field' and take pressure and double coverage off SJ is a need - but it's a need that doesn't HAVE to be solved this week. There's the draft. There's former 4th-round pick Marcus Easley, whom the Bills are still very high on and whose heart ailment is supposedly healed.

And, BTW, free agency didn't end last night, it just started. :wallbash:

In all honesty, I'm not upset about Meachem not signing. His situation with the Bills is much different than M. Williams. San Diego was probably desperate for a WR because VJax left. They needed to do something in terms of PR and saving face for the fans. So, they went over the top of the Bills offer(and apparently other teams)and gave Meachem an offer he couldn't refuse. Can't blame him for that. They over paid for a WR who put up D. Nelson type numbers in the most prolific passing offense ever.

The Williams situation is much different because the Bills threw the farm at him in terms of money. Its doubtful any team can come over top of the Bills offer.

Same plan as our plan B for DE. Say we tried, and I agree that they did, and hope for a good draft.

See that is the typical Buffalonian BS. 'Oh well we tried, thanks Buddy feed us some more'. !@#$ that! Its past time to SIGN these guys and stop with the excuses and the 'oh golly gee we tried' bull ****