Nix tipping his hand

I like it that he opens up about his thoughts(it keeps the fans updated), but doesn't this hurt them on draft day? If you want OT Martin (seems to be Nix's top rated after Kalil) you will have to trade up to 9 to get him or if you want a DE you will not have to worry about Buffalo taking one. In poker it's better to not show your cards.

Or is this all just a smokescreen? Does Nix even know what a smokescreen is?

Thoughts?

I like it that he opens up about his thoughts(it keeps the fans updated), but doesn't this hurt them on draft day? If you want OT Martin (seems to be Nix's top rated after Kalil) you will have to trade up to 9 to get him or if you want a DE you will not have to worry about Buffalo taking one. In poker it's better to not show your cards.

Thoughts?

I guess you will find out on draft day.

What did Buddy say that makes you think Martin is the target?

I haven't seen or heard the interview so I am curious as to what was said.

They do seem to be willing to give more insight into their targets than most teams do.

They totally telegraphed the Spiller pick and were pretty obvious last year as well (although last year's pick of Dareus was pretty much a no brainer)

Thoughts?

You say that Nix tipped his hand yet you have all these questions.

They do seem to be willing to give more insight into their targets than most teams do.

They totally telegraphed the Spiller pick and were pretty obvious last year as well (although last year's pick of Dareus was pretty much a no brainer)

Just reading his quotes in interviews. No exact quote saying he loves Martin.

Edited by qwksilver

Thoughts?

I think he knows how to be smart about what he chooses to divulge. He recently said this regarding the upcoming draft:“I think in my mind I can probably give you three areas that I think will be there at our pick,” he said. “I wouldn’t identify those because that would limit us against everybody else.”

So if he's worried about letting people know what he feels will be there when we pick, I'd figure he knows how to be careful when discussing draft strategies.

Hate to say it but I don't think other NFL teams are too worried about what Nix is planning to do on draft day.

This would be incorrect. Regardless of how bad we've been, I certainly think other teams are thinking about who we may take considering it can definitely make a difference on who they take or any kind of deals they make.

Edited by Bangarang

I don't think him tipping his hand really does much. I mean, Indy and St Louis have done more than tip their hand, they have outright said what they are going to do (or try to do) with their picks.

I think this year, more than the others, it is harder to tell where he is going. He doesn't seem to be that interested in the DEs available in the top ten. He really seems to like Claiborne most, and he won't be there.

I agree with PTR that they try to trade down this year. that top ten pick just doesn't look very nice this year. and if they can't trade down, then they either draft a whitner type pick and make a huge reach, or they take someone who falls to us unexpectly.

I personally would be fine if we picked one of the OTs or Upshaw I would be ok with it.

I am kind of worried about the draft this year. not really sure what to expect from the new guys like cook as evaluators. I am really just crossing my fingers.

He did say in an earlier interview that if there is a tackle there (In the draft) that we think fits in with what we want to do and we feel he can help our football team we are going to take him.

If Richardson is there definitely. If Coples is there maybe.

Richardson could be someone people target, and I think even more so if Poe is still around, a team (KC) would be very interested in it....so while its a POSSIBILITY, I doubt it, and we draft at 10

and probably draft Martin at 10 - on all of the tackle prospects (1st rounders anyway), Nix offered lots of info, and some negative about all prospects except for Martin, all he said about Martin was "good player, very goood player

Thoughts?

Well I think that they have to use the media to their advantage.

But if they dont get a LB or DE I will be disappointed.

This would be incorrect. Regardless of how bad we've been, I certainly think other teams are thinking about who we may take considering it can definitely make a difference on who they take or any kind of deals they make.

It doesn't matter. Any human with half of a functioning brain can figure out what the Bills big needs are on draft day. Its not like the rest of the league had no idea we need an OT and a DE prior to Buddy saying so.

Well I think that they have to use the media to their advantage.

But if they dont get a LB or DE I will be disappointed.

Be prepared to be disappointed by the pick at #10 then. It's going to be WR, OT, or CB.

the bigger story to me is his insistence that a reach for a 3rd round DE sets the bills back 3 years. Seems a bit exagerrated but taking him at his word implies very little free agency action in the next couple years. i know he's previously said that but i was hoping he'd see the light. nope, gotta hit every pick out of the park....how's that been workin out for us?

Hate to say it but I don't think other NFL teams are too worried about what Nix is planning to do on draft day.

Typical mindless Bills-fan-self-hate.

31 teams absolutely care what Nix is thinking, and #11-#32 in the draft order care a whole lot.

the bigger story to me is his insistence that a reach for a 3rd round DE sets the bills back 3 years. Seems a bit exagerrated but taking him at his word implies very little free agency action in the next couple years. i know he's previously said that but i was hoping he'd see the light. nope, gotta hit every pick out of the park....how's that been workin out for us?

Bizarre that you can think that.

Nix has been quite up front about his intention to be very aggressive in free agency this year specifically.

Yes - he said not most years, but YES THIS YEAR he intends to dive right in at 12:01 when the FA opens and get after the guys they think they need.

Thoughts?

I think he has gotten everyone that he wanted at least in the first round the last 2 years. Seems to be working. The best smoke screen seems to be telling people the truth and they will of course think your lying. Other teams aren't stupid. They know what our needs are just like all of us. Trading up requires a trade partner and giving up picks. People think it's easy to move up or down in the draft based on their desire. You need a trade partner. It doesn't happen too often and it is usually expensive in the way of draft picks for the team trying to move up.

Buddy said himself that everybody lies up to draft day. Don't believe a word of it. He will keep the 10th pick and be happy with it. Get one or two DE's in the 3rd, 4th or 5th round and be happy. I have alot of faith in Buddy and he has alot of moxie. Don't sell him short. I loved it he only told his wife we could win 10 games if we stayed healthy. I think he was right. So we should ask his wife what is going to do. Be just as good as what we guess.

WGR's Joe Buscaglia submits his current mock draft. I would be very happy if his scenario plays out for us. His first round pick is OT Cody Glenn and his second round projection is DE Vinny Curry. Whether Bell is signed or not there is still a great need to add more talent and depth to that critical position.

For the ardent Crimson Tide fans on the scene I hope they realize that neither Upshaw and Hightower, although very good players, are good value picks at the ten spot.

http://wgr550.com/BUSCAGLIA--NFL-Mock-Draft--2/12438592

Be prepared to be disappointed by the pick at #10 then. It's going to be WR, OT, or CB.

Exactly - they see "three positions" as being available and deserving at #10....DE is a reach at 10, so I gotta believe it's OT, CB or WR.

It doesn't matter. Any human with half of a functioning brain can figure out what the Bills big needs are on draft day. Its not like the rest of the league had no idea we need an OT and a DE prior to Buddy saying so.

OK as long as he gets a Starter that can take the sting out of it.

Yes - he said not most years, but YES THIS YEAR he intends to dive right in at 12:01 when the FA opens and get after the guys they think they need.

Are you sure he won't be sleeping? That's what he did the last couple of years..

Nix has basically stated that the DE / LB pass rushers in the top 20 are over rated and he thinks he can get some good players in rounds 2-3. Also, this years crop of DB's after the first 3 is lame at best and probably the reason he went after Routt so hard.

I would be surprised if the Bills draft a DE-LB-WR with that #10 pick this year, I'm thinking OT-DT-CB

Bizarre that you can think that.

Nix has been quite up front about his intention to be very aggressive in free agency this year specifically.

Buddy Nix does not control the purse strings. At all. If you don't understand that, go on keep believing they'll be signing quality types at 4PM on 3/13. The Bills GM can't even sign his own WR who they've had producing for 2 years. So why would it make sense that they're all of a sudden going to sign other team's free agents?

This is a team that gives decent guaranteed money to Chris Kelsay, Shawne Merriman, and Ryan Fitzpatrick. I don't know what's going on with SJ's contract, but they're taking their sweet time.

The Detroit contingent has a lot more say in the operation than the GM does. When you understand that, it'll make free agency less of a disappointment.

Nix has basically stated that the DE / LB pass rushers in the top 20 are over rated and he thinks he can get some good players in rounds 2-3. Also, this years crop of DB's after the first 3 is lame at best and probably the reason he went after Routt so hard.

I would be surprised if the Bills draft a DE-LB-WR with that #10 pick this year, I'm thinking OT-DT-CB

I agree except that if they don't sign Stevie you can bet wr is in the mix @ 10. I'm also not sure DT is high on their list.

Buddy Nix does not control the purse strings. At all. If you don't understand that, go on keep believing they'll be signing quality types at 4PM on 3/13. The Bills GM can't even sign his own WR who they've had producing for 2 years. So why would it make sense that they're all of a sudden going to sign other team's free agents?

This is a team that gives decent guaranteed money to Chris Kelsay, Shawne Merriman, and Ryan Fitzpatrick. I don't know what's going on with SJ's contract, but they're taking their sweet time.

The Detroit contingent has a lot more say in the operation than the GM does. When you understand that, it'll make free agency less of a disappointment.

There is no surprise that the Detroit money crew has a lot of influence in the way the franchise has been run. That certainly isn't startling news. But your assumption as to why the Stevie Johnson deal has not been completed is wrong. The deal has not been made by Nix for the simple reason that he and the player and his representatives are still in the negotiating process. If a deal doesn't get done and Johnson bolts then it is not due to the organization being unfair to him or undervaluing his contribution. It is because Nix has established a certain value for him and he is not going to go outside of it. That is simply good business.

At best Stevie Johnson is an average to below average #1 reciever. You also have to factor in one's assessment of SJ is that he is not a very mature person on the field. If SJ has an inflated view of his talents and contract expectations a deal won't get done. That is a tribute to Nix understanding the relationship between talent and value. That for sure isn't as you suggest a bad thing.

Edited by JohnC

You sound disappointed.

Like I've been saying. If you draft a player at #10, he better make an impact right out of the gate. This is a 6-10 team. And Buddy and Ralph have lamented the lack of talent on this tesam. Well. f--in do something about it. You can't reach and wait for a player to develop. It took Spiller more than a season and a half to get where he is... and just where is that? Even though he showed some flashes when Jax went down, we don't know if that's as good as it gets or that he can kick it up a few notches and perform to the level a #9 should.

Bottom line, if the Bills can't grab a pass rusher at #10 that can play at a high level right now, they better get a player at another position that will.

Like I've been saying. If you draft a player at #10, he better make an impact right out of the gate. This is a 6-10 team. And Buddy and Ralph have lamented the lack of talent on this tesam. Well. f--in do something about it. You can't reach and wait for a player to develop. It took Spiller more than a season and a half to get where he is... and just where is that? Even though he showed some flashes when Jax went down, we don't know if that's as good as it gets or that he can kick it up a few notches and perform to the level a #9 should.

Bottom line, if the Bills can't grab a pass rusher at #10 that can play at a high level right now, they better get a player at another position that will.

I feel a running back coming on...., I hope not

You sound disappointed.

It's disappointing when the team you want to win is not giving their football people the requisite authority to improve the team. The jury's still out on the Nix/Gailey rebuild, but when you look at other teams and how they've rebuilt, it's in stark contrast to Buffalo. Going 10-22 isn't a good start.

The fact remains that the Bills are simultaneously attempting to set the team up for sale and rebuild a roster that's probably the least talented it's been since 2001. Doing both is impossible with people in Detroit making more of the calls than most teams' financial people do. But I digress, and if the Bills do not acquire 2-3 solid veterans in UFA, then the rookies they take in April aren't quite that important beyond the 1st and 2nd round pick. They need immediate (EDIT: veteran) starters for their roster.

Edited by BillsVet