Nix tipping his hand

Buddy Nix does not control the purse strings. At all. If you don't understand that, go on keep believing they'll be signing quality types at 4PM on 3/13. The Bills GM can't even sign his own WR who they've had producing for 2 years. So why would it make sense that they're all of a sudden going to sign other team's free agents?

This is a team that gives decent guaranteed money to Chris Kelsay, Shawne Merriman, and Ryan Fitzpatrick. I don't know what's going on with SJ's contract, but they're taking their sweet time.

The Detroit contingent has a lot more say in the operation than the GM does. When you understand that, it'll make free agency less of a disappointment.

I suppose the folks in KC, San Diego, New Orleans, New England - they all suck too and/or are micromanaged by their cheap owners, blah blah blah which explains why NONE OF THEM HAVE RE-SIGNED THEIR BIG NAME FA WR'S EITHER???

Nix absolutely decides how the money is spent. I'm sure Ralph sets the budget - but I am equally sure that budget has already been laid out for Nix and he's making his statements and plans knowing what money he has to work with.

Nix has been totally upfornt on this: They aren't usually big players in FA. They won't generally be so in the future. However, THIS YEAR - and ONLY this year (as it stands now) they intend to play big.

He said it clearly. It makes perfect sense. It fits with all the facts and history of the team. Hopefully this year Nix's management team does a better job of spending the money than the earlier team did on Dockery/Walker/Triplett the last time they thought they were close.

Why would anyone think that Nix lying now - at this point in the process - would do him any good at all?

Edited by BobChalmers

I like it that he opens up about his thoughts(it keeps the fans updated), but doesn't this hurt them on draft day? If you want OT Martin (seems to be Nix's top rated after Kalil) you will have to trade up to 9 to get him or if you want a DE you will not have to worry about Buffalo taking one. In poker it's better to not show your cards.

Or is this all just a smokescreen? Does Nix even know what a smokescreen is?

Thoughts?

This happens every year, with every team. This is the nothing more than the sporting media that covers football trying to create sizzle to warrant them having a job as clearly everything coming out right now is completely fabricated by them.

Ofcourse no team is going to reveal their true intentions- unless you sit at #1 like this year and are leaning towards the rebuild with Ryan Luck as your QB (though I don't believe that the Colts have actually committed to that), or the Rams who sit at #2 and are publicly shopping the pick to acquire more as their team is in total disarray.

I think that there will certainly be enough quality players available at #10, Nix is not going to be telling us who they want, but they are also victim to the choices of the other 9 teams in front of them. If 3 of those 9 teams take LT's, then alters the talent available at #10.

There's no mystery. The team has a plan. No one is privy to those conversations or draft boards (and rightfully so), so to us it is a surprise.

I believe the Bills top needs to be pass rushing DE, LT, and CB. I think that we'll see one of those 3 positions- most likely LT- selected by the Bills at Round 1.

I suppose the folks in KC, San Diego, New Orleans, New England - they all suck too and/or are micromanaged by their cheap owners, blah blah blah which explains why NONE OF THEM HAVE RE-SIGNED THEIR BIG NAME FA WR'S EITHER???

Nix absolutely decides how the money is spent. I'm sure Ralph sets the budget - but I am equally sure that budget has already been laid out for Nix and he's making his statements and plans knowing what money he has to work with.

Nix has been totally upfornt on this:

He has been very candid that he does NOT do contracts and negotiations and has said point blank that it is Overdorf's job.

They aren't usually big players in FA. They won't generally be so in the future. However, THIS YEAR - and ONLY this year (as it stands now) they intend to play big.

He said it clearly.

Yes, he did. "I don't git into all that contract talk stuff. My area is more helpin' out with evaluatin' playahs."

It makes perfect sense. It fits with all the facts and history of the team. Hopefully this year Nix's management team

It might be worth noting that the financial side of the business has been in place and intact since before Tom Donahoe was hired.

does a better job of spending the money than the earlier team did on Dockery/Walker/Triplett the last time they thought they were close.

Why would anyone think that Nix lying now - at this point in the process - would do him any good at all?

Ever heard of the concept of gamemanship? Trying to mislead the competition by boldly proclaiming smokescreens as your intentions during the off-season team building process? Didn't think so.

This happens every year, with every team. This is the nothing more than the sporting media that covers football trying to create sizzle to warrant them having a job as clearly everything coming out right now is completely fabricated by them.

Ofcourse no team is going to reveal their true intentions- unless you sit at #1 like this year and are leaning towards the rebuild with Ryan Luck as your QB (though I don't believe that the Colts have actually committed to that), or the Rams who sit at #2 and are publicly shopping the pick to acquire more as their team is in total disarray.

I think that there will certainly be enough quality players available at #10, Nix is not going to be telling us who they want, but they are also victim to the choices of the other 9 teams in front of them. If 3 of those 9 teams take LT's, then alters the talent available at #10.

There's no mystery. The team has a plan. No one is privy to those conversations or draft boards (and rightfully so), so to us it is a surprise.

I believe the Bills top needs to be pass rushing DE, LT, and CB. I think that we'll see one of those 3 positions- most likely LT- selected by the Bills at Round 1.

That's my point. By letting the world know they won't reach for a DE @ 10. Therefore, if your team needs a top 3 LT you have to jump to 9 to get one if 2 go into the 1st 8 selections (pretty likely?). Then that would leave us with a CB @ 10 and God knows that will UPSET a very large contigent of Bills fans. Or a reach for a WR.