Are you ready for Wednesday Night Football?

Just Jack

NFL to open season on a Wednesday night to avoid Obama speech

The NFL will begin its 2012 NFL season on a Wednesday night in order to avoid conflicting with President Obama's nominating speech at the Democratic National Convention. Roger Goodell made the announcement that the regular season will begin Sept. 5, one day earlier than the traditional start on the first Thursday of the month. The defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants will host the opener.

I've been saying for a while the NFL ought to have a Tuesday or Wednesday game. It would be a great way to extend the football season without adding more games. How? Give every team a second bye week, but have only teams coming out of a bye play mid-week. That way each team has about 9-10 days to prepare, and 9-10 days to get back to the regular Sunday schedule.

PTR

I've been saying for a while the NFL ought to have a Tuesday or Wednesday game. It would be a great way to extend the football season without adding more games. How? Give every team a second bye week, but have only teams coming out of a bye play mid-week. That way each team has about 9-10 days to prepare, and 9-10 days to get back to the regular Sunday schedule.

PTR

:worthy:

NFL to open season on a Wednesday night to avoid Obama speech

The NFL will begin its 2012 NFL season on a Wednesday night in order to avoid conflicting with President Obama's nominating speech at the Democratic National Convention. Roger Goodell made the announcement that the regular season will begin Sept. 5, one day earlier than the traditional start on the first Thursday of the month. The defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants will host the opener.

No problem. That just means that the season will start a day earlier. :thumbsup:

Having said that, football fans would have tuned in even if Obama was speaking.

Are we still going to have two games on the opening Monday night? They need to do away with that.

PTR

You should email that to King Roger.

If by Wednesday you mean today then Yes Im ready for some football

PTR

NFL tried having two bye weeks for teams once and it was awful

If by Wednesday you mean today then Yes Im ready for some football

NFL tried having two bye weeks for teams once and it was awful

You actually need to expand the league at the same time you add mid weak games The league tried the 2 bye system in the early 90s with a 28 team league and there was a public revolt since each week's schedule of games was tangibly diluted.

Yeah but you didn't have a mid-week game then. The second bye wouldn't even feel like a bye since a team has a game in 9 days. Players could get an extra day or two off in that 9 day span, and you still have the regular bye. I think it's win-win-win. Players get more rest, NFL gets a longer season without making players play extra games, and the league gets another prime time game to sell.

PTR

No problem. That just means that the season will start a day earlier. :thumbsup:

Having said that, football fans would have tuned in even if Obama was speaking.

Are we still going to have two games on the opening Monday night? They need to do away with that.

Exactly. People would have watched Football more so than Obama anyways, lol. I totally agree with you. The 2 games on Monday night is stupid. I rarely if ever watch both. I think it's ridiculous, but no big deal.

Exactly. People would have watched Football more so than Obama anyways, lol. I totally agree with you. The 2 games on Monday night is stupid. I rarely if ever watch both. I think it's ridiculous, but no big deal.

The cool thing about 2 monday nighters is the west coast getting a true prime time game. Its the only time it happens all year. Most MNF start at 5:30 for them which is kinda sh*tty. On the flip side it sucks for whichever team get that opening mnf games, or more accurately their fans. Nothing worse than opening day coming and your team not playing. That is except for them playing and blowing a huge lead late to their most hated division foe but I digress...

Negative post blaming Obama in 4...3...2...1...

Dwight in Philly, where are you?

yoo hoo .. metz! you there ? well, i do not BLAME obama, but i am quite sure the other networks probably pleaded with goodell to change the game because who would watch an obama speech opposite the NFL ?( ok maybe rachel maddow and the rev al) , they(obama campaign) and the the rest of the networks would not want to deal with the ratings being so poor..i think low ratings would reflect poorly on our commander-in chief..

PTR

I thought that was basically the plan already. Every team is going to get one Thursday game (ok, not the Tuesdays/Wednesdays you're suggesting) each season and it will immediately follow their bye week.

And who on earth would be watching his speech at that convention anyway?

He'll actually draw a very large audience. Of course, it'll be federally mandated that we watch, but still...

It's too bad they can't add some extra games in during the week. They would just need to find ways to flex sooner.

You can be sure that in future presidential election years, the party committee's will make darn sure not to make that "mistake" again. The NFL is big business, and both parties will be sure not to "get in the way" of opening day of the NFL season.

Yes folks, in America, NFL football is WAY bigger than party politics. MHO.

He'll actually draw a very large audience. Of course, it'll be federally mandated that we watch, but still...

It's too bad they can't add some extra games in during the week. They would just need to find ways to flex sooner.

Not a chance in hell that he, or any president for that matter, could compete to the NFL opener.

While I think it is respectable to accommodate the President of the United States, they are really accommodating the Democratic nominee.

Besides his schedule may clear up for a few more Bears games in the 2013-2014 season... :thumbsup:

You can be sure that in future presidential election years, the party committee's will make darn sure not to make that "mistake" again. The NFL is big business, and both parties will be sure not to "get in the way" of opening day of the NFL season.

as well it should be, atleast w the NFL i get what i pay for.

Politicians, dems and rebs, screw us over all the time.

The NFL allows me to feel like a kid for a few hours, the Politicians treat me like a kid, while robbing me blind.

Blame him for what? Football starting a day earlier? What's wrong with that?

And who on earth would be watching his speech at that convention anyway?

Wow. Who watches the president's speech at his national convention? It's kind of a big deal, I don't care what party you're affiliated with. Am I the only one on here who would be watching both the speech as well as the football game? Meaning this is a good thing?

as well it should be, atleast w the NFL i get what i pay for.

Politicians, dems and rebs, screw us over all the time.

The NFL allows me to feel like a kid for a few hours, the Politicians treat me like a kid, while robbing me blind.

Agree on that. "Get what I pay for" and "politicians treat me like a kid" is spot on.

American Idol, Dancing with the Stars & Jersey Shore are WAY bigger than party politics.

PTR

Very smart

Wow. Who watches the president's speech at his national convention? It's kind of a big deal, I don't care what party you're affiliated with. Am I the only one on here who would be watching both the speech as well as the football game? Meaning this is a good thing?

If you watched his State of the Union speech in January, you have heard his Convention speech. Same if you saw his speech to the UAW Tuesday, you heard his Convention speech. In fact, you will be hearing this speech frequently over the next months leading to the convention.

Why wouldn't you want to watch football instead??

If you watched his State of the Union speech in January, you have heard his Convention speech. Same if you saw his speech to the UAW Tuesday, you heard his Convention speech. In fact, you will be hearing this speech frequently over the next months leading to the convention.

Why wouldn't you want to watch football instead??

:thumbsup:

What exactly are you expecting from it? I will likely tune in but important isn't really the word that comes to mind