So, what did we see yesterday?

Beerball

The Ravens' offense played well but that is because the Pats have a bad defense. The PAts' offense struggled but that's because the Ravens have a good defense. The Giants have a good offense and played a really good defense. And the 49ers are a very limited offense that played a defense that is getting hot.

The better teams lost yesterday.

The Ravens lost because Kraft pays the Refs.

The 49ers lost because they had a back-up punt returner.

You did not come close to answering the question. Two low scoring close games. Was it because of mediocre offensive play or steller defensive play?

You did not come close to answering the question. Two low scoring close games. Was it because of mediocre offensive play or steller defensive play?

Both games were close. I think O and D for all 4 teams was good, though the 49ers and Ravens D was stellar. In the end it came down to preferential treatment by the refs that gave it to the Pats. Mistakes by the punt returner gave it to the Giants. I think the better teams lost and I still believe that Defense wins chamionships.

If you look at both of those matchups, it was a great offensive team against a great defensive team. In the end the 2 good offenses are in the SB.

You left out special teams though. That was probably the most important factor in both of these games...

I do feel that the Ravens offense choked in that game. The Pats D is simply awful, and the Ravens struggled big time. Flacco seems to be no more than an average QB at best.

We knew Alex Smith was at best an average QB, and that team relied solely on Defense, ST's, Frank Gore, and Vernon Davis...Only 3 of the 4 came through, and that wasn't enough...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I'll comment on the Niners/Giants. The Niners lost because of a weak offense. In particular their Quarterback and sometimes invisible receivers (Crabtree). At times when Smith was under center you just knew they were going nowhere. A lot can be attributed to the Giants D. But really, Smith is a rehabbed former #1 who sucks. A one year anomaly.

The Giants at least have a good chance at beating the Cheatriots. The 49ers had a huge chance of stinking up the joint, because of their offense. The Giants Dominating D against a quarterback who has been pretty uninspiring for his entire career was on full display. Kind of a good example of why not to have a "system" quarterback if you want to win the big prize.

I know we all hate the Pats* and love ripping them for having such a sucky defense, but are we really that reluctant to say their defense played a pretty good game overall?

Both games were close. I think O and D for all 4 teams was good, though the 49ers and Ravens D was stellar. In the end it came down to preferential treatment by the refs that gave it to the Pats. Mistakes by the punt returner gave it to the Giants. I think the better teams lost and I still believe that Defense wins chamionships.

:thumbsup: That's what I like to hear.

I know we all hate the Pats* and love ripping them for having such a sucky defense, but are we really that reluctant to say their defense played a pretty good game overall?

Not at all. Their defense did play well yesterday.

What I relearned yesterday for the enth time is that offense, defense, and special teams win or lose games for you. To rate one side of the ball in a vacuum as to which is more important in a narrow multiple choice style assumption is pointless. The O and D of both the Giants and 49ers were locked in quite the stalemate. Special teams turned out to be quite the x-factor. Perhaps we should be discussing the concept of symbiosis between scheme, play calling, personnel, and the 3 phases of the game that the top teams exhibit while our team conspicuously does not. It would be nice to elevate the topic from what I remember on the playground as a kid. Just a thought. Also, if you are going to claim that one side of the ball wins blah blah blah in an absolution, then I would love to hear how you would characterize the other side of the ball. If defense wins championships for example, then what does offense do?

Edited by RealityCheck

1327330501[/url]' post='2369073']

I'll comment on the Niners/Giants. The Niners lost because of a weak offense. In particular their Quarterback and sometimes invisible receivers (Crabtree). At times when Smith was under center you just knew they were going nowhere. A lot can be attributed to the Giants D. But really, Smith is a rehabbed former #1 who sucks. A one year anomaly.

The Giants at least have a good chance at beating the Cheatriots. The 49ers had a huge chance of stinking up the joint, because of their offense. The Giants Dominating D against a quarterback who has been pretty uninspiring for his entire career was on full display. Kind of a good example of why not to have a "system" quarterback if you want to win the big prize.

Do you think fitz is good and stunk this year because he has no one to throw to?Look at the guys smith has to throw to. Davis is very good. Crabtree is overrated. Lacks speed. Lacks concentration. Lacks the ability to get open. He has great hands (sometimes). Kyle Williams, lol. Brett Swain, lol. Delanie Walker is ok.

I don't think Smith is amazing by any means, but I don't think he sucks. Going into this year, I may have agreed with you, but after watching just about every sf game this year, he showed me a lot, 7 GW drives this year. Fitz has 5 in his career btw.

Do you think fitz is good and stunk this year because he has no one to throw to?Look at the guys smith has to throw to. Davis is very good. Crabtree is overrated. Lacks speed. Lacks concentration. Lacks the ability to get open. He has great hands (sometimes). Kyle Williams, lol. Brett Swain, lol. Delanie Walker is ok.

I don't think Smith is amazing by any means, but I don't think he sucks. Going into this year, I may have agreed with you, but after watching just about every sf game this year, he showed me a lot, 7 GW drives this year. Fitz has 5 in his career btw.

Well i kind of said that about Smith. I said he is a one year anomaly. Meaning he had a good season for him this year. I also watched almost every game. As for comparing him to Fitz. I wouldn't want either on my team. The niners receivers would be an upgrade over ours. If you include V.Davis in that Can you imagine the outcome being different if Steve Young or Montana were the quarterback yesterday? I see the Niners winning. That's why I believe a system quarterback or however you want to phrase it, can only take you so far. Yes there have been exceptions but they are very rare. If the fanbase is happy with "we almost got there" Then Smith and Fitz are the guys. Once again their are 2 elite quarterbacks in the super bowl and yea Eli is now elite. There's a reason their teams are in the big dance. Smith looked confused and lost a lot last night. At times he never got past his first reads. On one occasion that cost them a TD.

Defense, my friends, wins championships. You build a good defense that plays as a cohesive unit and get a decent offense and ou have a real shot. There will always be some aspect of "luck" to things, but you need a good defense to win.

Defense, my friends, wins championships. You build a good defense that plays as a cohesive unit and get a decent offense and ou have a real shot. There will always be some aspect of "luck" to things, but you need a good defense to win.

If recent SB history is any indication, the last 2 SB winning teams (Packers and Saints) had teams built around great offenses and complimentary defenses.

I don't think so. If Alex Smith or Joe Fiasco beat you, then, you deserve to lose.

Win as a team, lose as a team, like Lewis said after the game, but there is no escaping the fact that the best 2 QBs from the conference championships will be playing in the SB.

Can we say 2 of the top 4 QBs currently playing will be in this year's SB?

We found out the Buffalo Bills will not make the playoffs for 13+ years!

Teams who excell in this league have...

-great coaches who can draft a great gameplan

-a franchise QB who can command a game and throw accurately over 30 yards

-can draft and scout players

-have some quality depth

NOTICE: From top to bottom...this team has none of the above!

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Win as a team, lose as a team, like Lewis said after the game, but there is no escaping the fact that the best 2 QBs from the conference championships will be playing in the SB.

And zero of the top 5 defenses.

I think it shows that having a lethal offense is more important then anything IMO. Both the Giants and Patriots offenses thrive on their big time pass catchers (Cruz, Nicks, Manningham & Welker, Gronkowski, Hernandez). The NFL has really made the passing game the most important facet of the game. DB's are extremely limited in what they can do to defend the WR and QB's are shrouded in protection from the Refs.

These games just re-enforce the fact that we need to re-sign Stevie Johnson AND add another big time WR. The resigning of 13 should be priority number one IMO. After locking him up, we need to sign one of these top tier FA WRs (Colston, Bowe, Jackson, or VJax). I would prefer Colston or VJax but any of them will do. They will not be cheap but having 2 very good WR's is a necessity in today's NFL if you want to win.

As an extension of that theory, I also think that getting after the QB is the most important aspect of the defense. This team needs to bring in a top tier FA pass rusher (Mario Willams or Cliff Avril) that can step in immediately and improve our anemic pass rush. I think we will also need to draft a pass rushing OLB at #10. Currently, I am leaning Courntey Upshaw. He would be a massive upgrade to our LB corp.

Those 4 moves would go a very long way into making this team a true contender:

1. Resign Stevie Johnson

2. Sign top tier FA WR (Colston, VJax, Bowe, or Jackson)

3. Sign top tier FA DE (Willams or Avril)

4. Draft a pass rushing OLB at #10 (Upshaw)

Osi uminyora on the market before the year began but seen as overpriced is an elite player. His elite skills sometimes make a difference in only a few plays a game but they are ones that change an entire ball game. If the giants unloaded him like they wanted to they would not be going back to the big dance.

We found out the Buffalo Bills will not make the playoffs for 13+ years!

Teams who excell in this league have...

-great coaches who can draft a great gameplan

-a franchise QB who can command a game and throw accurately over 30 yards

-can draft and scout players

-have some quality depth

NOTICE: From top to bottom...this team has none of the above!

In my opinion, the biggest reason the Bills have not been successful is the lack of pass rush. Those four teams all have some absolute beasts in their front sevens. We all know that the pass rush is one of the biggest needs for the Bills, and these games drove that point home to me in a big way.

The Giants realized a long time ago you can never have enough guys that can rush the passer.

If a guy can put his hand in the dirt and get to the QB then you can line him up anywhere.

Yesterday it seemed the Giants had 4 'DE' playing at the same time. And they got great pressure.

I saw Flaco and Smith are not Brady or Manning. And right now i would take Manning over Brady.

I hope Manning wins another SB. He never gets any credit... and does not care. He just plays and wins...gotta like that. And he does not whine about it when they loose or he gets hit.

If NY can get to Brady...and i hope they do, i wanna see the true colors come out.

Alex smith probably doesn't suck unless he played in the rain and his attempts are low. Coaching lost the game to a brutal defense line that the Giants brought. Flacco threw well enough on his end. Brady is still catered to by officials. And Eli can really take a licking and keep on...

And Avril is my guy in FA. good call.

The most important thing that drove itself home this weekend and last, is that the league is now a passing to win league.

I will miss recievers who block, bone crunching running and defensive stands. :angry:

How do you see it?

GREAT question. I saw 4 defenses that played REALLY well. Even the Pats crappy D was all over the field. Wilfork was nothing short of unstoppable. He was making play after play and driving the center back into the QBs lap if he wasn't doubled.

THIS - and I'm not even one of those "it's all about the QB" - but the better QB has been winning all the playoff games - except for NYG over GB, and in that game, Rodgers looked/played rusty and Manning was on fire.

Brady beat Flacco and Tebow

Flacco beat Yates

Yates beat Dalton

Tebow beat an injured Rothelsberger

Brees beat Stafford, then lost to Smith in an upset

Manning beat Ryan and then Rodgers as I mentioned above

I understand a good defense can make some elements of a QB's game look bad, and a bad defense can make a QB look good, but just fomr watching their own actual play, the QB who played the best (made the best looking throws, decisions, etc.) seemed to win just about every game.