Bills won't Franchise Johnson

While I was in B-lo this weekend, I heard Chris Brown on the pre-game show on 103.3. According to Brown, the Bills won't use the franchise tag on Stevie Johnson, and if Johnson wanted $7.5 million a year, the deal would have been done already. Brown stated that he heard the number was around $10 million a year. Guess we'll all have to wait and see. I hope the Bills resign Johnson, the Bills already need one WR, so if Johnson departs, then the Bills will need two. Plus, since Ralph stated that they're sticking with Fitzpatrick, then it would make sense to keep Johnson since those 2 work well together.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I severely doubt the decision whether or not to franchise Steve Johnson has been made yet. Way too early. Bills brass has to decide who's available in free agency, the draft, and the all important financial ramifications of such a move.

I think the Bills might have if not for his last stunt in NE. I wonder how his immaturity might impact him in the market as a FA.

I don't think Johnsons stupidity in NE altered the Bills plans in any way.

They have a price in mind that they are willing to go to, and using the franchise tag would exceed that price.

The question remains as to if some other team might pay more for him than the Bills are willing to pay.

Edited by CodeMonkey

He's a good receiver worthy of good money. If he wants elite money for good play, he's gone and so what....Build the defense. You CAN win without a dominant WR, but you can't win with the JV defensive front 7 we have been riding the past 2-3 years. I think Stevie is saying the only way he stays is if the Bills overpay for him. If he wants to go, he'll go and he'll take his "good money" from someone else. He will not get 8 mil.

Sadly, I think he played his last game as a Bill. And while Stevie is to blame, Gailey's hard knock "I'm coaching an NFL team likes its Georgia Tech" attitude didn't really help things.

In fairness, 10 million is too much. I think that makes Stevie a top 4 paid WR. 7.5 per puts him in the top 10 easily. He's good, but he's not 8-10 million good. Nowhere near it.

While I was in B-lo this weekend, I heard Chris Brown on the pre-game show on 103.3. According to Brown, the Bills won't use the franchise tag on Stevie Johnson, and if Johnson wanted $7.5 million a year, the deal would have been done already. Brown stated that he heard the number was around $10 million a year. Guess we'll all have to wait and see. I hope the Bills resign Johnson, the Bills already need one WR, so if Johnson departs, then the Bills will need two. Plus, since Ralph stated that they're sticking with Fitzpatrick, then it would make sense to keep Johnson since those 2 work well together.

If the Bills don't sign Johnson then stick a fork in 'em, they are DONE. I'm serious. You can't win games without a #1 wide receiver and a horrible defense.

As clownish as Stevie at times, he's nothing compared to the clowns we have running the show in the front office.

I severely doubt the decision whether or not to franchise Steve Johnson has been made yet. Way too early. Bills brass has to decide who's available in free agency, the draft, and the all important financial ramifications of such a move.

It would cost Buffalo $9.5 Million to franchise him for one year. It sounds like the organization already has a number in its head. If they feel he's worth more than that, then the tag is a no-brainer. If they think they can sign him to a long term deal in the 7.5-9 range, it makes sense to not use the tag.

Also: over the past two off seasons only 17 teams have used the tag. It's a device that's not nearly as prevalent as its mention round these parts.

I think the Bills might have if not for his last stunt in NE. I wonder how his immaturity might impact him in the market as a FA.

After what came out yesterday from the Jests backup quarterback. I doubt Rex would touch this with a 10 foot pole. Then again........

If the Bills don't sign Johnson then stick a fork in 'em, they are DONE. I'm serious. You can't win games without a #1 wide receiver and a horrible defense.

As clownish as Stevie at times, he's nothing compared to the clowns we have running the show in the front office.

Resigning Johnson doesn't solve the problem of having a clutch #1 receiver

After what came out yesterday from the Jests backup quarterback. I doubt Rex would touch this with a 10 foot pole. Then again........

Resigning Johnson doesn't solve the problem of having a clutch #1 receiver

Rex believes he can control anybody with his personality and will. That is how he got in trouble with his team that is full of hoodlam types. SJ woul dbe a model citizen comapred to all the other idiots he has.

The againwe have Clowney, who aberages 7 cathes per season.

He's a good receiver worthy of good money. If he wants elite money for good play, he's gone and so what....Build the defense. You CAN win without a dominant WR, but you can't win with the JV defensive front 7 we have been riding the past 2-3 years. I think Stevie is saying the only way he stays is if the Bills overpay for him. If he wants to go, he'll go and he'll take his "good money" from someone else. He will not get 8 mil.

The Bills desperately need pass rushers. The Bills haven't had a good, consistent pass rush since the late 90's. But, if the Bills go with the WR's currently on the team (minus Johnson), then they are royally screwed!!!

Stick a fork in 'em? They were done years ago when they were unwilling to pay Pat Williams and Antoine Winfiled.

Sadly, I think he played his last game as a Bill. And while Stevie is to blame, Gailey's hard knock "I'm coaching an NFL team likes its Georgia Tech" attitude didn't really help things.

I'd love to know what exactly you consider Chan's GT attitude? You mean like telling the team whoever gets a celebration flag gets benched, then following through? I guess a REAL NFL coach would just say "I was just kidding, I'm not benching you."

It just hit me: The posters that hate the team the most all have names like "#1 Bills Fan" :blink:

PTR

Letting Big Pat go was a mistake, but there was no way the Bills were going to match the obscene offer by the 49er's for Winfield. He got QB money as I recall. The problem with Johnson is that some stupid team will pay what he's asking, so instead of us having solid no. 2 receiver, someone else will be cursing the day they paid him.

I never believed that all Stevie asked for was 7.5 million.

I do not believe the Patriots incident will have any affect whatsoever on whether or not the Bills sign him.

And I do think there is a very good chance the Bills sign him.

He is also crazy, and stupid, if he does not test free agency, unless the Bills offer him what he is asking for, which they are very likely not going to do (only because it is a negotiation, and rarely, especially with a player who is very good but not elite like Stevie, get everything he and his agent ask for).

Going into free agency and seeing what the market bears has ZERO meaning to whether he wants to stay in Buffalo or not, or will re-sign with the Bills. None. It's the prudent, right thing to do, and every player would do it.

Letting Big Pat go was a mistake, but there was no way the Bills were going to match the obscene offer by the 49er's for Winfield. He got QB money as I recall. The problem with Johnson is that some stupid team will pay what he's asking, so instead of us having solid no. 2 receiver, someone else will be cursing the day they paid him.

49ers signed Clements, Vikings signed Winfield. Clements got a stupid contact and Winfield got a big contract as well but he actually lived up to it.

Can anyone confirm this?

Not a chance that SJ sticks around. He can get a bigger paycheck playing for a better organization. There is zero reason for any player to play in Buffalo unless they are desperate and have no other options.

Sad but very true, but this could change very quickly with a new owner and it looks like we will be getting one in the next year or two.

And, in regards to Gailey, name me the last time an NFL coach has benched his player for the entire game because he got an unnecessary penalty. In college, that stuff flies. In the NFL, not so much. I'm not arguing that Stevie is mature and undeserving of punishment. If you want to bench him for the rest of the half, or for the 3rd quarter, fine. But for the entire game? Gailey made a spectacle out of a spectacle. It didn't solve any problems, if anything, the only thing it did was push Stevie out of town. Tact is important. I understand that players are benched in the NFL. I understand that Stevie was warned. But it was a ridiculous move by Gailey nonetheless.

I'd only add that losing SJ to free agency will have a huge impact on Fitzpatrick. And Fitzpatrick has essentially confirmed this.

It was a meaningless game. If Gailey makes a rule and doesn't apply it he looks like a fool. Would you consider a style that Rex Ryan employs more apropos? How are the Jets doing these days? Sorry. NFL, College, High School...what the coach says is the law. You break the law, you pay the price. If SJ would rather do his own thing than listen to his coach then maybe we don't need him.

PTR

I'd only add that losing SJ to free agency will have a huge impact on Fitzpatrick. And Fitzpatrick has essentially confirmed this.

I don't buy this argument. Yeah, Fitz and SJ have been working together for 3 years and know each other's tendencies etc.

But as I recall, Fitz really had it going on with TO. He also has a thing with David Nelson. We draft a rookie high or get a FA, Fitz will learn to work with him too through the course of mini camps and training camp. It's not like SJ is the only guy he can work with.

It was a meaningless game. If Gailey makes a rule and doesn't apply it he looks like a fool. Would you consider a style that Rex Ryan employs more apropos? How are the Jets doing these days? Sorry. NFL, College, High School...what the coach says is the law. You break the law, you pay the price. If SJ would rather do his own thing than listen to his coach then maybe we don't need him.

PTR

I was wondering this after the game...Do you think Gailey would have benched Johnson for the rest of the game if the Bills needed a win to get in the playoffs?

More "trying the case in the court of public opinion" IMO. My guess is that both statements are true: Johnson may well want $7.5 million salary plus a $10 million signing bonus on a 4 year contract, bringing his APY to $10 million.

If Johnson thinks the Bills might franchise him, that's knowledge to his advantage - he would not, in that case, accept a penny lower in salary.

Keep in mind to call Chris Brown a journalist or reporter is really a misnomer. In reality, he's a PR shill for the Bills. Would he release any information that might damage the Bills negotiating position?

Would he have 'plausible deniability' if he issues information that he is given, but that might not represent the front office decision at a later date?

I agree, I hope the Bills resign Johnson.

Bring him back if the price is reasonable. Some team will overpay badly for him. He doesn't have reliable hands, isn't clutch, isn't fast, and is a me-first player. You don't overpay for these guys.

He wants top 5 money and is at best top 15.

Bring him back if the price is reasonable. Some team will overpay badly for him. He doesn't have reliable hands, isn't clutch, isn't fast, and is a me-first player. You don't overpay for these guys.

He wants top 5 money and is at best top 15.

Where did you get Top 5 money from? That is complete BS.

Sad but very true, but this could change very quickly with a new owner and it looks like we will be getting one in the next year or two.

Yup.

I don't wish death upon anyone, but sadly the only hope this franchise has if there is a new owner with a new outlook on things.

To quote myself:

His celebrations won't seem so bad when your WR core is Donald "Never Will Be" Jones, Marcus "Never Was" Easley, Derek "I'm not Mario" Haggan, and David "I'm now the best WR?" Nelson

Seconded. Did anyone else hear this or see it reported anywhere else? Seems odd this news would be posted 3-4 days later.

It was on 103.3 on Sunday morning, between 11:30-11:45 when I heard it. If you can find transcripts of the pre-game show on 103.3, then good on you.

Where did you get Top 5 money from? That is complete BS.

It's an easy assumption to make given his attitude on the field.

(Before anyone attacks me, I like SJ, I just think his antics are a bit selfish at times, which means he's likely a selfish person in general)

I was wondering this after the game...Do you think Gailey would have benched Johnson for the rest of the game if the Bills needed a win to get in the playoffs?

I don't. Maybe a series, MAYBE. But whatever future good might have been accomplished by giving Johnson a timeout would not outweigh the Bills getting into the playoffs.

Do you think Johnson would have pulled his stupid stunt in the first place if the Bills needed a win to get in the playoffs?

If yes, then why would you re-sign him?

Stevie Johnson is more of a "Team Player" than 90% of the Bills.

He works his ass off in practice every single day, he works his ass off in the games, he comes prepared and knows his assignment, he plays hurt, he performs in games, he makes big plays, he scores touchdowns, he keeps the locker room loose and to a man his teammates love him from all indications, and he loves and promotes Buffalo and the Buffalo Bills. You don't get much more of a team player than that. Sorry. Despite his three penalties after 17 touchdowns.

To me, it sounds as if the Bills have sent their #1 shill to start thr negative PR campaign against Stevie, since they have no plans of re-signing him.

Real Bills fans know the difference between immaturity and being a problem in the locker room. I don't know of any another Bills player who has worked harder and proven himself to be of the utmost value to this team.

If they don't sign Stevie Johnson, I will severely cut back my time spent regularly following this team. At some point, we begin to look like the foolish clowns in this equation.