Polian Firing May Indicate Colts Draft Intentions

K-9

I get the distinct impression Polian was candid with Irsay and flat out suggested that Manning be let go and let the rebuild begin with Luck. But Irsay is too loyal to Manning and all that he brought to Indy and Polian was shown the door. I don't think they'll select Luck number one overall and, with a good chance that the Rams pass (and perhaps Minny,too), there could be some major movement at the top of the draft board. Either by teams in a frenzy to make deals to climb up or for the unexpected fall of Luck to perhaps three or four.

What say The Wall?

GO BILLS!!!

we should discuss whos getting picked 2nd. luck is going 1st. and why would you pass on luck if your the colts? cause good QB play for 20+ years is a bad thing. they dont even know if manning will be able to play again.

Luck is going first, whether its to the Colts or some other team.

Colts' new GM might trade the pick (to a team that will definitely take Luck) or else he will draft Luck himself.

Why the hell would a new GM keep the first pick and draft anyone else? Stupid.

Edited by maddenboy

we should discuss whos getting picked 2nd. luck is going 1st. and why would you pass on luck if your the colts? cause good QB play for 20+ years is a bad thing. they dont even know if manning will be able to play again.

I know that. You know that. And Polian certainly knows that. I'm saying Irsay and Manning are so tight that if Manning says no to Luck then Irsay will, too. I can see Manning convincing Irsay to trade the pick for all sorts of help at other positions. That's a weird and volatile situation in Indy at the moment. I can see Polian demanding the release of Manning to save that $30m plus roster bonus and Irsay digging in his heals and telling Polian to take a hike.

We've had previous reports a few weeks back with Archie floating the idea that neither Peyton or Luck would be happy with the situation. I predict that if the Colts DON'T trade the pick, then Luck won't go to the Colts #1 overall. There is more to the Polian firing than meets the eye and I think it has to do with the Luck question. Irsay showed where his loyalties lie.

GO BILLS!!!

Colts' new GM might trade the pick (to a team that will definitely take Luck) or else he will draft Luck himself.

I see a trade happening as well. That makes the most sense. BUT, if a trade CAN'T be worked out, I can see the Colts passing just because Manning wants it that way. And I think teams willing to trade up to #1 will be able to sense that as well.

GO BILLS!!!

This.

Somebody will be willing to make the trade (especially with the rookie salary cap in place now).

The only thing that keeps Luck from going #1 is a freak accident between now and April.

I think its more of getting fired because the team shouldn't rely so heavily on the qb position. If polian had built any type of supportive cast manning would have so many rings. That team flat couldn't compete without manning which is scary. Luck is good but if he spends the first year or two losing and getting pounded in the ground he could flame out. If the colts sell the first pick and get multiple first and second rounders which turn out to be good picks they could be good for 4 more years behind manning and the colts could develop a qb behind him in the meantime. The skins have been known to be crazy and could trade the farm for luck. The colts would still get a top ten pick, plus have two more picks in the top 40, then have a first and maybe more next year.

I think its more of getting fired because the team shouldn't rely so heavily on the qb position. If polian had built any type of supportive cast manning would have so many rings. That team flat couldn't compete without manning which is scary. Luck is good but if he spends the first year or two losing and getting pounded in the ground he could flame out. If the colts sell the first pick and get multiple first and second rounders which turn out to be good picks they could be good for 4 more years behind manning and the colts could develop a qb behind him in the meantime. The skins have been known to be crazy and could trade the farm for luck. The colts would still get a top ten pick, plus have two more picks in the top 40, then have a first and maybe more next year.

Like I said, that makes the most sense to me, a trade.

However, I think Polian wanted to release Manning, take Luck, and let the rebuild begin. I've had the sense all along that Polian was never convinced Manning has much more football left in him. Let alone four years. Irsay has this weird loyalty to Manning and is willing to roll the dice on him whereas Polian refused and got himself fired.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I get the distinct impression Polian was candid with Irsay and flat out suggested that Manning be let go and let the rebuild begin with Luck. But Irsay is too loyal to Manning and all that he brought to Indy and Polian was shown the door. I don't think they'll select Luck number one overall and, with a good chance that the Rams pass (and perhaps Minny,too), there could be some major movement at the top of the draft board. Either by teams in a frenzy to make deals to climb up or for the unexpected fall of Luck to perhaps three or four.

What say The Wall?

GO BILLS!!!

Or Irsay wanted to go with Luck and Polian wanted to stick with Manning. Polian isn't a young man anymore; he might have wanted to ride Manning on one more SB run before retiring.

Or Irsay wanted to go with Luck and Polian wanted to stick with Manning. Polian isn't a young man anymore; he might have wanted to ride Manning on one more SB run before retiring.

True, Bill isn't a young man but his son certainly is. And Chris Polian has been assuming more and more of a role the last few years. I can see Bill Polian wanting to cut Manning, save $30m plus, draft Luck, and let his son make his own legacy with a potential HOF QB of his own.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what comes out in the wash the next couple weeks.

GO BILLS!!!

What say The Wall?

GO BILLS!!!

I think that Indy trades the pick away for a high 1st and 2nd in this draft, possibly a player or another pick this year, and definitely a 1st and ?? in 2013. I don't think they move down more than half a dozen picks, unless they subsequently trade THAT 1st round pick for another team's 1st and ?? picks. Indy could essentially rebuild the Colts this year if they play their cards correctly.

They were fortunate that Luck waited till this year to come out.

When one position is making $18 million a year towards the cap, each draft has to be almost perfect. Hard for anyone to be THAT good. But Polian was good for us and for the Colts. Wish we could have him run our front office.

I think you have it backwards. Irsay is declaring a "new era" by dismissing the Polians. The Manning/Polian era is over. They will purge salary - Manning, Mathis, Wayne, etc. - and hand the ball to Luck. I also think Irsay has a GM in mind as he has stated his intentions to let the new GM make the coaching staff decisions. The one guy we should get if he becomes available is Jon Torine, the current Colts Strength and Conditioning coach. When Polian took over in Indy he called Rusty Jones and asked for a recommendation; Torine was Jones's assistant at the time. Polian interviewed him at the combine, hired him, and he has been there for 14 years.

"Clearly we're in a rebuilding stage," Irsay said. "There's no sugar-coating that. The decisions coming up are crucial."

Edited by 217014170

I'm having a waking nightmare where the Folphins hire Jeff Fisher and trade up for Luck...

Jeff Ireland is still there, they aren't gonna get better this year....morons never change their spots :lol: kinda like the Bi... err nvm

The Colts however, the OP has a point and that point has already been pointed out by PFT.

whats interesting about the Indy situation and Jim Caldwell is where did Caldwell come from in the first place? He was Payton Manning s QB coach, when have you ever heard about a QB coach becoming a HC before even being an OC?

He made a few serious blunders 2 years ago, and completely screwed th pooch this year at 2-14, but he is Payton's "buddie". So it remains to be seen if he stays!

The other point is that #1 draft choice and Andrew Luck. If you heard Payton's dad, Archie Manning talk about that situation he stated it simply wouldn't work because both QB's will want to play next year, So.....

Edited by Fear the Beard

So the Colts would NOT pick a QB at number 1 (Luck?), but instead would trade the number 1...because their aging QB (who no one knows wont snap his C-spine on first contact next year) told Irsay not to?

I would have fired Polian on the spot--if he came up with this suggestion. Holy cow, how do the Colts come out of the draft without their next franchise QB?? There would be blood in the streets! Look what happened this year--did anyone in the Colts organization know that Manning would not be able to play this season? I say they did not--they got caught with their pants down. Why is anyone in that organization listening to MAnning?? Who thinks Manning has another SB in him? Time to move on.

And how does Chauncey Gardener still have his job as HC?

I thought it signaled the opposite. Bring in someone new with no loyalties to Manning and he can clean house and start over.

We'll see. That's certainly possible. But I've always had the impression that Irsay had far more loyalty to Manning than Polian. And I can just see the irascible Polian telling Irsay to cut Manning and Irsay refusing to do so. Just a hunch.

GO BILLS!!!

Could Polian getting fired have anything to do with going from playoff lock to worst in the NFL in one season because of one injury?

I personally think the Polian firings have more to do with the recent past than differences in the future direction.

No way. There must be a philosophical difference. Most likely the QB situation and what to do moving forward.

I disagree with you and K-9 this time.

Polian's drafts have been getting worse over the last 5-6 years… he's been living off his reputation.

People around the league are wondering why a quarterback as great as Peyton Manning has won only one Super Bowl. It seems clear to me anyways that the answer is that Polian(s) didn't build a good enough team around Manning.

Finally, I'm sure the Irsay's were not thrilled to be paying Manning for the first year of his new contract this year, $17 million, without him playing a single down of football.

Apparently Polian did this new deal with Manning without even requiring that Manning pass a physical exam.

And this isn't even going into the nepotism and succession plan involving the younger Polian.

Doesn't anyone remember two years ago when there was a move here to hire Chris Polian as our new GM and within one week, the Colts signed him to a long term deal that accompanied by the news that he would succeed his father when Bill retired in a few years?

So now the Irsays are paying big money to two Polians while the performance of the front office has been deteriorating amidst nepotism?

No, I think they were fired for recent past sins, not a difference in philosophy going forward.

JMO.

I personally think the Polian firings have more to do with the recent past than differences in the future direction.

I disagree with you and K-9 this time.

Polian's drafts have been getting worse over the last 5-6 years… he's been living off his reputation.

People around the league are wondering why a quarterback as great as Peyton Manning has won only one Super Bowl. It seems clear to me anyways that the answer is that Polian(s) didn't build a good enough team around Manning.

Finally, I'm sure the Irsay's were not thrilled to be paying Manning for the first year of his new contract this year, $17 million, without him playing a single down of football.

Apparently Polian did this new deal with Manning without even requiring that Manning pass a physical exam.

And this isn't even going into the nepotism and succession plan involving the younger Polian.

Doesn't anyone remember two years ago when there was a move here to hire Chris Polian as our new GM and within one week, the Colts signed him to a long term deal that accompanied by the news that he would succeed his father when Bill retired in a few years?

So now the Irsays are paying big money to two Polians while the performance of the front office has been deteriorating amidst nepotism?

No, I think they were fired for recent past sins, not a difference in philosophy going forward.

JMO.

All valid points to be sure. But having read so many of Irsay's comments about Manning over the years and knowing he was totally on board with the Manning contract the entire time, and how much he kept praising Manning during the lockout even though Manning was a named plaintiff in the lawsuit, I don't know, it just seems like Irsay and Manning have much more than your typical owner/franchise QB relationship. And I can fully see Polian telling Irsay he would be stupid not to cut Manning and save the $30m bonus due in March. Polian ruffled a lot of feathers in Indy in recent years. IIRC, he referred to their fans as rats or something. I'll have to dig up the articles. I'm just too lazy right now.

Anyway, I'm anxious to see what comes out about it in the days to come. If there are any indications of support for Manning going forward, I'll be convinced they're not taking Luck and will look to trade the pick instead.

GO BILLS!!!

Hey K-9.

There are people who believe that things happen for one reason.

I'm one of those people (also because it's the way I make decisions) who believe that things often happen for several reasons.

So you and I could both be right.

It could be that the Polian-Irsay relationship had been deteriorating for some time and that a different view of the future was the last straw.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Hey K-9.

There are people who believe that things happen for one reason.

I'm one of those people (also because it's the way I make decisions) who believe that things often happen for several reasons.

So you and I could both be right.

It could be that the Polian-Irsay relationship had been deteriorating for some time and that a different view of the future was the last straw.

Absolutely. I certainly don't believe there was a single factor in Polian's dismissal. It's always more complicated than that. And I also agree that Irsay and Polian have had their share of disagreements over the years. It's Polian's M.O. everywhere he's been.

GO BILLS!!!

What say The Wall?

GO BILLS!!!

Just my opinion...Luck goes 1st to Indy and that's that...I think the chances of Indy trading the Pick or not Drafting Luck are 0.00... B-)

What say The Wall?

GO BILLS!!!

I would give up our whole draft this year & our whole draft next year for the chance to move up to the first pick & draft Luck. Yes I think he is that good. We have a ton of money that we need to spend under the cap so just for the next 2 years treat free agency like that is your draft & restock the roster that way.

I think there will be plenty of dicsussion about this topic between now and April, and I reserve the right to change my opinion before then, but...

For now, I can't envision any other scenario than the Colts picking Andrew Luck at No. 1 overall. I base this on the following points:

- It seems as though the majority of the board is in agreement that Luck is the #1 option

- There's no doubt that the Colts sans great QB play are a horrible team

- Whether he stays in Indy or not, Peyton Manning's return to great QB play is highly in doubt

- Even if Manning does re-gain his pre-injury form, he's going to be 37 at the start of next season...if you have a chance to replace (eventually or immediately) a 1st ballot hall of fame QB with a guy that many feel has the highest football accumen since said HOF QB, why wouldn't you do it? Especially considering that the rookie wage scale makes the salary for the 1st overall pick very, very managable.

As I said, this is just my opinion, so I welcome anyone that has solid reason to the contrary.

Edited by thebandit27

its impossible that any of the blame for the firing could be placed on Saint Polian. The amn is more then a football GOD and cannot make a bad move. Obviously this is just another stupid NFL owner that knows nothing screwing up his franchise for decades to come.

Now lets all stop this talk that Saint Polian had any hand in the Colts going from Playoff lock to #1 overall pick missing 1 player and all say 40 "Hail Polians"

I think there will be plenty of dicsussion about this topic between now and April, and I reserve the right to change my opinion before then, but...

For now, I can't envision any other scenario than the Colts picking Andrew Luck at No. 1 overall. I base this on the following points:

- It seems as though the majority of the board is in agreement that Luck is the #1 option

- There's no doubt that the Colts sans great QB play are a horrible team

- Whether he stays in Indy or not, Peyton Manning's return to great QB play is highly in doubt

- Even if Manning does re-gain his pre-injury form, he's going to be 37 at the start of next season...if you have a chance to replace (eventually or immediately) a 1st ballot hall of fame QB with a guy that many feel has the highest football accumen since said HOF QB, why wouldn't you do it? Especially considering that the rookie wage scale makes the salary for the 1st overall pick very, very managable.

As I said, this is just my opinion, so I welcome anyone that has solid reason to the contrary.

your opinion makes the most sense. I really can not see it playing any other way either. Man, the Colts sure picked the right year to suck.

Edited by Gordio

- There's no doubt that the Colts sans great QB play are a horrible team- Whether he stays in Indy or not, Peyton Manning's return to great QB play is highly in doubt

They are bad no doubt, but what rarely gets mentioned is that if they had even mediocre QBing this year and a barely competent HC, they would not be picking first in the draft next year. No way.

Orlowski wandered in off the street and looked pretty decent. He could likely have won a few more games if he was there all year. Caldwell is probably the worst HC in NFL history--a total mannequin.

By picking Caldwell and leaving only Painter as the backup, the Colts march towards the number 1 pick in the 2012 draft was inevitable--awaiting only the collapse of the brave, but old and creaky Manning.

Polian is a genius for delivering such a gift to the Colts organization and fans---and for this they fire him?? Irsay's nuts.

I think by firing Polian and his son says the Colts are willing to clean house and rebuild. Wayne, Mathis, and other core guys including Manning are all in the 30's. They had to rebuild that team and it has to start with a QB.

Manning says he and Luck can work together. I think Indy is forced to take a QB due to the fact that Manning is 35 and coming off major neck surgery.

If they don't take a frachise QB they are making a terrible mistake.

Edited by Bufcomments

Sorry if this article has been posted already, but this guy really shreads Polian. I know he's got a bad rep to work with, but I had two interactions with him. One short and one long - the second being sitting next to him waiting for a plane to take us to New England for the Bills-Pats game in '92 and he couldn't have been a nicer guy. He talked football with me for at least an hour or two - it was great:

Indy Star writer got a different impression

I ran simulations with trades and Cleveland would be the most likely to trade up for Luck. Here's why Indy should at least entertain the idea of a trade:

Round Pick Team Selection Psn School CRI Delta ReachValue

1 1 Cleveland Andrew Luck QB Stanford P1 +0 Value

1 7 Indianapolis Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama P2 -4 Reach

2 34 Indianapolis Landry Jones QB Oklahoma P3 +0 Value

2 40 Indianapolis Alameda Ta'amu DT43 Washington P3 +0 Value

3 65 Indianapolis Andrew Datko OT Florida State P3 -11 Reach

3 71 Indianapolis Ben Jones OC Georgia P3R -17 Reach

4 97 Indianapolis Barrett Jones OG Alabama P3R -28 Reach

That's a hefty makeover in 6 positions of need for Indy.

Astro

Edited by Astrobot

They are bad no doubt, but what rarely gets mentioned is that if they had even mediocre QBing this year and a barely competent HC, they would not be picking first in the draft next year. No way.

Orlowski wandered in off the street and looked pretty decent. He could likely have won a few more games if he was there all year. Caldwell is probably the worst HC in NFL history--a total mannequin.

By picking Caldwell and leaving only Painter as the backup, the Colts march towards the number 1 pick in the 2012 draft was inevitable--awaiting only the collapse of the brave, but old and creaky Manning.

Polian is a genius for delivering such a gift to the Colts organization and fans---and for this they fire him?? Irsay's nuts.

For sure. He convinced Andrew Luck to stay in school for one more year so that he could be drafted by the Colts. Then he convinced Peyton to get surgery on his ailing neck. Here ya go champ a juicy contract, now just get better. After which he leaves Caldwell in charge of the team, knowing full well after his plan succeeds that he is just going to dump him. The Colts are built around Manning. With a bunch of undersized dead weight on his team, Polian knows he needs a change. Sans Peyton they suck real good, can't win, blah, blah, give me that number 1.

Now what does he do with it? Nothing, he's fired. But if he was here I think he trades it away for a **** load of sweet, fairly cheap draft picks. Thus giving Peyton one more shot at winning the big one. Not sure what went wrong with his plan?

My guess is Polian said lets keep Manning and draft Lukc which means about 40 mil to QBs this season and Irsay didnt like that idea. Or he is pissed they won 1 game....

I ran simulations with trades and Cleveland would be the most likely to trade up for Luck. Here's why Indy should at least entertain the idea of a trade:

Round Pick Team Selection Psn School CRI Delta ReachValue

1 1 Cleveland Andrew Luck QB Stanford P1 +0 Value

1 7 Indianapolis Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama P2 -4 Reach

2 34 Indianapolis Landry Jones QB Oklahoma P3 +0 Value

2 40 Indianapolis Alameda Ta'amu DT43 Washington P3 +0 Value

3 65 Indianapolis Andrew Datko OT Florida State P3 -11 Reach

3 71 Indianapolis Ben Jones OC Georgia P3R -17 Reach

4 97 Indianapolis Barrett Jones OG Alabama P3R -28 Reach

That's a hefty makeover in 6 positions of need for Indy.

Astro

I thought Jones was going back to school?

My guess is Polian said lets keep Manning and draft Lukc which means about 40 mil to QBs this season and Irsay didnt like that idea. Or he is pissed they won 1 game....

My guess is that Polian is more cold-blooded and would be the guy who is ready to cut bait with Manning and Irsay doesn't want to do that.