Marcell Dareus

Frez

Well, as long as we are whipping the dogs on this team it brings me to ask all Buffalo Bills fans an honest question. Has Marcell Dareus lived up to your expectations this year? I will answer it with a NO. I sure expected him to be way more dominate on the D line for us. He showed some flashes in a game or two and that's been about it. I thought he was going to be that run stopper up the middle for us and I just haven't seen it yet. Our defense seems like it's worse than years past. WTF!

Flame away! :devil:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as long as we are whipping the dogs on this team it brings me to ask all Buffalo Bills fans an honest question. Has Marcell Dareus lived up to your expectations this year? I will answer it with a NO. I sure expected him to be way more dominate on the D line for us. He showed some flashes in a game or two and that's been about it. I thought he was going to be that run stopper up the middle for us and I just haven't seen it yet. Our defense seems like it's worse than years past. WTF!

I think the rookie could use a little help. KW going down didn't help....

Lions rookie looked better early in last nights game

Playing a different position on a stacked line.

On the plus side, he's still having lower leg/foot issues which are great for a big guy.

Edited by NoSaint

About what I expected (which wasn't much). He looks slow. Preferred Farley, but don't think either will be great. Not worth the third pick, but who was? Guess Green might look good in red, white and blue.

Aside from the problem of "being more dominate," Dareus is doing everything asked. He occupies two blockers all the time - unfortunately it's clowns to the right of him, jokers to the left, so it doesn't make much difference. It doesn't mean he's not a difference-maker. With no Kyle Williams, no Merriman, nobody at OLB period, it's a joke what we're trotting out there.

To suggest otherwise is to suggest you're not watching the games, that you have an axe to grind, that you are one who sees the doom in everything, or worse.

Question: when was the last time a bills number one pick actually made an impact or a distinct difference in during their first season (like almost pro-bowl type play)? This means that they made plays that worthy of the highlight reel and their play was critical in terms of contributing in winning games....and like the announcers of the game would actually mention their name (that might have happened less than five times this year with Dareus) more than once.

Dareus is a good player and versatile- he play DE on either side of a 3-4, NT, either DT in a 4-3 and could probably play 4-3 left DE , he is not as dominate as Suh but we knew that going in. In most of those positions he won't get a ton of sacks (Richard Seymour is one of the best 3-4 ends ever but his best sack total is 8 and his ave is a little over 5). I think 4-3 DT is his best position but it's rare for DTs to get double digit sacks unless your name is Warren Sapp or Kevin Williams.

Truth is, a great player makes those AROUND HIM better. I don't think Dareus is destined for the Hall of Fame, but could anyone name me a Hall of Famer who got his golden jacket, because his supporting cast was unbelievably good?

Truth is, a great player makes those AROUND HIM better. I don't think Dareus is destined for the Hall of Fame, but could anyone name me a Hall of Famer who got his golden jacket, because his supporting cast was unbelievably good?

There's a vast gulf between "unbelievably good" and "below-replacement-level" starter, though, and guess which side the Bills are on?

I would take Dwan Edwards and Spencer Johnson as rotational / depth players. As starters, especially when being asked to play out of position, they are not going to get the job done.

We need George Edwards gone and about 3-4 more players in the front seven before we can start making any real judgments on Dareus.

Has to lived up to expectations? YES. He is a rookie playing with a bunch of bums on the front 7.

Without Kyle and Merriman, Barnett is the only good player in the front 7 besides Dareus.

How do you not like a rookie that can play ANY position on the line?

A rookie that stood up in the locker room and tried to fire up the deadbeats on this team.

I think Dareus will be a great player and a leader on this team.

Almost every member of the hall of fame meets that criteria. Football is a team game. You're right when you say that the great ones make those around them better, but those around them have to be good in order for the great player to reach his potential.

I don't understand how so many people can have opinions on interior linemen. If I'm watching the game on TV, I'm really not seeing that much of that play. And, when I'm at the game, I'm following the ball.

I would think you'd either have to watch film or be at the game and key on the play in the trenches (and miss the play) to really know.

Sometimes a player like Suh or Sapp or Sam Adams can really show up with huge plays. But, most of the time I think it's going to be something like Ted Washington. I never really saw him make a lot of plays, but I just knew when he was in there, he was said to be taking up two blockers and nobody could run on us.

I'm so stupid in this regard that in the late 80s, I thought Jeff Wright was better than Fred Smerlas, because you could see Wright make sacks. You couldn't see Fred tying up the blockers - but now I'm sure that if Fred in his prime played on the Super Bowl teams, that we would have won at least one.

The same goes for O-line men for me. I just have to take the word of those who watch film as to who is really playing well.

Am I so different in this regard or are you guys able to see things that I can't or am not looking for?

It's hard/rare for a DT to come into the league and set the world on fire. The only guys to really dominate in their first year is Suh and Kevin Williams, and you can make the case that Suh is having himself a sophmore slump if you look at his stats and inability to anchor in the run game, not to mention the penalties/suspension.

Ngata, Sapp, Jenkins, Wilfork, didn't see much time year 1 and took time to develop. Also have to factor in that Dareus would be a Senior this year, so I'm giving him until next season to real come into his own. Patience, DT is a difficult position to play. You can dominate with pure athleticism in college, different ball game in the pros, you best learn to use your hands violently or you're in for a rough career.

I don't understand how so many people can have opinions on interior linemen. If I'm watching the game on TV, I'm really not seeing that much of that play. And, when I'm at the game, I'm following the ball.

I would think you'd either have to watch film or be at the game and key on the play in the trenches (and miss the play) to really know.

Sometimes a player like Suh or Sapp or Sam Adams can really show up with huge plays. But, most of the time I think it's going to be something like Ted Washington. I never really saw him make a lot of plays, but I just knew when he was in there, he was said to be taking up two blockers and nobody could run on us.

I'm so stupid in this regard that in the late 80s, I thought Jeff Wright was better than Fred Smerlas, because you could see Wright make sacks. You couldn't see Fred tying up the blockers - but now I'm sure that if Fred in his prime played on the Super Bowl teams, that we would have won at least one.

The same goes for O-line men for me. I just have to take the word of those who watch film as to who is really playing well.

You make a good point, it's hard to take everything in on one play. I do make an effort to just stare at the front 4 from time to time, easier to do in the run game.

Yesterday I felt Dareus struggled in the 1st half, but stepped it up and had a good second half. Heard looked good in his limited time. It was easy to follow the DL yesterday because the Titans really didn't want to pass the ball.

Edited by bouds

I bet if he were playing for the Steelers, Giants or Saints for example he'd look great. For Buffalo? Eh

Wrong...Steelers would be patient with him just like they have been with others.

For a rookie DT he has been fine. Rookie DT's rarely dominate. Knowing that what we know now about our WR corp, Green would have been a better choice. I think we would have had a better chance of winning with a high powered offense that converts third downs and keeps the ball away from other teams.

Dareus is one of the few positives going for us. Let's nitpick his rookie performance while giving Stevie a pass because he's just so darn talented that he has never made a catch when it counted.

Stevie Johnson wasn't a #1 pick. He's an undrafted free agent.

Let's make more excuses why Dareus isn't make that huge impact on the D line for us! It must be the talent around him...........LOL!

Let's make more excuses why Dareus isn't make that huge impact on the D line for us! It must be the talent around him...........LOL!

Agreed, Dareus has rarely made any plays this year. Yes he's a d lineman, but come on now. Every time I key on him through the magic of tivo, I see a guy who's not being double teamed and who also seems to be not putting forth a full effort to get to the ball carrier.

I don't care if Williams isn't there, he's a giant of a man. I always had a feeling the guy was a lazy player, his below average season is only starting to confirm my concerns.

Actually a 7th round pick....and stevie one on one hasn't been check all year...sucks dropped the pass in the final seconds against jets but if he walks that sets us back 5 years....and everyone will be posting look at stevie comments like they do for maybin, like they did for paul and like they are doing now for marshawn

We did a lot of right things on defense in the draft this year...and in free agency...I really believe we just don't have the right defensive coaching staff. Green makes a right impact but down the line marcell and kyle can anchor this defense

All you haters surprise me, being an older fan I remember Bruce Smith's first year in 1985, he did about the same as Dareus. There was talk of hime being a bust, he had Fred Serlas on the nose but until Talley and Bennett were on the OLB he didn't take off either. Let him learn the pro game and get KW back before judging...

Has to lived up to expectations? YES. He is a rookie playing with a bunch of bums on the front 7.

Without Kyle and Merriman, Barnett is the only good player in the front 7 besides Dareus.

How do you not like a rookie that can play ANY position on the line?

A rookie that stood up in the locker room and tried to fire up the deadbeats on this team.

I think Dareus will be a great player and a leader on this team.

And Kelsay. Can't believe I just typed it but it's true. If this season has told me anything, it's that TBD fan favorite's like Arthur Moats will never have a career close to Kelsays.

No. In all honestly, Dareus made a name for himself in the National Championship game vs Texas and that elevated him. i get that it is tough to make an impact with average at best lineman around him. But I did expect to see more, most definitely.

I usually record the game, then re-watch it and pay special attention to the things I missed during live action (line play for one).

With that said, I think Marcel Dareus has played fairly well throughout the season.

Early in the season, when we had Kyle Williams playing next to him, there was a very strong push coming from up the middle and most of it was coming from Dareus. Since KW went out, Dareus is getting the majority of double teams and it's clear that he's overwhelmed. Not surprising for a rookie.

The problem is, the rest of the Bills defense is too weak to take advantage of strong play by the tackles. There were many times that I saw Dareus blow his blocker into the backfield, only to watch the running back take an outside angle and find Shawn Merriman or Alex Carrington shoved too far inside to make a play.

We need better linebackers.

Hes ten games into his NFL career.

You expected him to parachute into the NFL and play like Justin Tuck right off the bat?

People had made the same judgment about CJ at this point into the season last year. Not saying it is right - but 10-12 games is NOT an insignificant sample.

Wrong...Steelers would be patient with him just like they have been with others.

For a rookie DT he has been fine. Rookie DT's rarely dominate. Knowing that what we know now about our WR corp, Green would have been a better choice. I think we would have had a better chance of winning with a high powered offense that converts third downs and keeps the ball away from other teams.

Agree with the bolded.

Not prepared to say that Green would have been the better choice overall, but we would have DEFINITELY won more games with AJ Green this year. All the myopic "build-the-lines-is-the-only-way-to win" folks won't concur. But then again, they're stranded in 199_. You can't reason with them (or at least one here). I've tried.

All that said, I still think we made the right choice with Dareus. It's just not as black-and-white with me as it apparently is with some.

Edited by Juror#8

We don't hear anything about anyone else on the line other than Dareus! ...he is getting doubles...and no one else can beat there man to even make a difference..... if u watch the games he is getting push... which would be perfect if we had another dt or de athletic enough to run an inside stunt....

Edited by EldaBillsFan

We have to remember he is very young yet he has started every game as a rookie. Give him an entire off season to continue to work on his game and improve.

I think we can't really start to judge him until we see next season's performance when he has some decent guys around him.

People had made the same judgment about CJ at this point into the season last year. Not saying it is right - but 10-12 games is NOT an insignificant sample.

Yes it is. Its nothing. And you cannot compare a skill position like RB to a interior line position, either.

Very few players come into the NFL and make an impact immediately. Even less do at non-skill postions.

Asking a guy to go from college to being a Pro-Bowl type of NFL player in one season is asking too much.

Bruce Smith didnt even do that.

Edited by RkFast

Has he lived up to the expectations of the #3 pick overall, no, clearly not. Am I ready to give up on him yet? Clearly no to that question also. He could without a doubt use some help around him, but will he get it with this front office in place? With this owner in place? Who knows. You rarely ever hear Dareus' name during a game anymore unless it is for a penalty. Let's just hope for the best, he might be the only hope of this front office actually hitting on one draft pick in the first two compelte drafts they have run here.