Is Revis that good??

eme123

I've seen alot of Jets games over the past few years. I've seen Revis make some great plays, I've seen some ball just fall into his hands, and I've seen him get beat. The media pumps him up a lot. I don't know if he's so good that you don't throw to his side of the field. Members of our local media seem to think the best game plan is not to throw near him.

The local media has proven their lack of football knowledge. We all know how much the national media knows about the Bills. So should we believe them when it comes to Revis? Is he that good?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen alot of Jets games over the past few years. I've seen Revis make some great plays, I've seen some ball just fall into his hands, and I've seen him get beat. The media pumps him up a lot. I don't know if he's so good that you don't throw to his side of the field. Members of our local media seem to think the best game plan is not to throw near him.

The local media has proven their lack of football knowledge. We all know how much the national media knows about the Bills. So should we believe them when it comes to Revis? Is he that good?

So you believe the reason that coaches game plan around not throwing at Revis is because the media makes him out to be more of a player than he really is? :doh:

So you believe the reason that coaches game plan around not throwing at Revis is because the media makes him out to be more of a player than he really is? :doh:

Coaches tell QB's not to throw to their best receiver because Revis is that good?

I probably should make my point clearer. Revis is a pro bowl corner. He's good!

Does that mean we don't throw at him?

It will be interesting what jets will do if we don't throw at him but other bills WRs catch fire and we get ahead. Will they move him to jones ( assuming he's back) or Nelson where he'd have a physical mismatch or Roosevelt where it would be a major concession putting him on such an unheralded guy.

This scenario has the possibility of playing out given how well fitz involves the entire Corp. On a team with flexibility like ours them focusing on one guy will be a liability.

And oh yeah there's freddie coming out of the backfield that Revis can't so anything about, other than get run over

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Obviously Revis is very good but I think the refs buy in to the media hype on him. Clearly they know it's Revis and not some unheralded DB because they allow him plenty of leeway on hand fighting and his physical style. Most DB's get a flag if they are even in the vicinity of the WR a split second early...Revis gets the benefit of the doubt imo.

Who is Better?

Ive said it before and ill say it again, because of our offense and because of how Rexy has played Revis against similar style spread offenses (like the Patriots), Revis will most likely NOT just be locked onto Stevie all game, they will put Revis on an island on whichever side of the field they choose to lock down that entire side, and worry about the other 2/3rds of the field...Stevie will still get his catches, as will all our other WRs...

against teams with one stud WR (Andre Johnson/Calvin Johnson/Fitzgerald) then they match Revis up 1 on 1 all game and take away their best player...on a team that runs an open offense that doesnt channel/live and die through one player (like us), they will take away one side of the field by using Revis like that

and to answer the OP, YES, Revis is that good (and its good coaching/scheme as well)

I would be SHOCKED if they give Stevie that much respect to "waste" Revis on just him considering the Bills propensity to spread the love

Considering they didn't test Asomugha against the Eagles a few weeks ago, I doubt they throw Revis' way often, if at all. Which is just fine by me. That defense is more bravado than anything else. Other than Revis, the rest of their D can be exploited. And for once, I feel as though the coach of the Bills is at least as smart as I am, so I'm guessing he will feel the same way. :flirt:

I love how everyone see one reply during a primetime game where Revis didn't get called for an obvious PI, and then somehow come to the conclusion that he ALWAYS gets away with PI.

I live in NYC and see all their games, so I see it all the time.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I fully expect Chan to use the "bunch" formation to pick and screen Stevie free from Revis on some slant routes. The Bills' offense is perfectly designed to free up a receiver against any one particular defender.

I just read that quarterbacks have a Passer Rating of 2.9 when throwing towards Revis. Is he that good? More then that good, he is putting up Defensive Player of the Year numbers. Yes he is very, very good. Head Coaches and Offensive Coordinators for the most part know so much more then any of us fans do, and there is a reason they hardly ever throw towards him, and it isn't because the media has made him out to be good.

I love how everyone see one reply during a primetime game where Revis didn't get called for an obvious PI, and then somehow come to the conclusion that he ALWAYS gets away with PI.

He is a great CB...period.

Double ditto.

Just a great all around CB. Him and Cromartie make many of Ryan's schemes possible. The key will be to force Ryan to use that personnel in ways he doesn't want to. Chan is also a master schemer and I look for him to use even more multiple receiver sets, spread the field, and let Fitz take what's there. Basically what he's been doing all season. Gotta stay in favorable down/distance situations and make Ryan play honest more often than not. Football 101.

GO BILLS!!!

Fans of Revis say he gets the calls because he's great. Detractors say he looks great because he gets the calls. The truth, as usual, is probably somewhere in the grey area; Revis is a great cornerback whose reputation precedes him enough to get the benefit of the doubt from referees on subjective plays. Now, no player deserves any positive bias in a theoretically fair game, but we must remember that referees are human. They can still remain impartial while bending to preconceived notions. We all do it.

There are examples across other sports. Andy Pettitte had an awesome pickoff move, the results of which were exacerbated because he never got called on a bevy of well-deserved balks.

Dwyane Wade is an all-time great at driving the lane, but it certainly helps that he's essentially allowed to approach the free-throw line whenever he pleases.

I'm not as intimately familiar with hockey, but given that penalty calls are subjective I imagine there is an analogous example somewhere.

These are all examples of officials who fall victim to self-fulfilling prophecies. Revis is certainly a top-tier CB, but is his actual greatness exaggerated by his reputation for greatness? I think it's a fair assertion.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

+1

He gets all of the Jordan calls.

+2

And he gets all of Maddux's strikes.

This just in: star players get leeway from officials. That said, one generally doesn't get to that point unless he has been really good.

Edited by KD in CT

Fans of Revis say he gets the calls because he's great. Detractors say he looks great because he gets the calls. The truth, as usual, is probably somewhere in the grey area; Revis is a great cornerback whose reputation precedes him enough to get the benefit of the doubt from referees on subjective plays. Now, no player deserves any positive bias in a theoretically fair game, but we must remember that referees are human. They can still remain impartial while bending to preconceived notions. We all do it.

There are examples across other sports. Andy Pettitte had an awesome pickoff move, the results of which were exacerbated because he never got called on a bevy of well-deserved balks.

Dwyane Wade is an all-time great at driving the lane, but it certainly helps that he's essentially allowed to approach the free-throw line whenever he pleases.

I'm not as intimately familiar with hockey, but given that penalty calls are subjective I imagine there is an analogous example somewhere.

These are all examples of officials who fall victim to self-fulfilling prophecies. Revis is certainly a top-tier CB, but is his actual greatness exaggerated by his reputation for greatness? I think it's a fair assertion.

Since Revis doesn't get challenged (passed on) often, hard to say he gets away with a lot of PI if Qb's aren't throwing his way. Therefore, there isn't much to this "refs favor Revis" stuff.

Also, I didn't hear much on this board about all this blatant Revis favoritism by the refs until this year....

Whichever receiver gets lined up across from Revis should just do an all-out fly route down the field. Simply run Revis' butt into the ground with exhaustion. Kind of like a football rope-a-dope. That or we could have one of our coaches trip him along the sideline...