Is Revis that good??

eme123

I fully expect Chan to use the "bunch" formation to pick and screen Stevie free from Revis on some slant routes. The Bills' offense is perfectly designed to free up a receiver against any one particular defender.

I agree. It's hard to beat Revis, mano-a-mano. But the Bills like to bunch receivers, run (legal) pick plays, and otherwise create traffic where a receiver can lose a DB. Stevie will get some catches.

Also, if the Bills send 4-5 receivers out, Revis can only cover 1 of them as good as he is. I think the Bills will be able to pass against the Jets.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Key to beating him is not letting him get his hands on you and jam you off the line. He has super strong hands and once he gets you off balance he gets to use his good footwork to keep you there. Also benefits from friendly officiatiinf with lots of grabbing after 5 yards. But if you get free off the line and get seperation hes not a super fast closer like Deion. If the QB recognizes it this is how he's given up some big plays.

Stevie doesn't have big speed either but he does have a good initial inside move that can make him effective on slants

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Revis can only cover 1 guy. Even if he shuts Stevie down the whole game, we will still run the ball and pass to 4 other decent targets on any given down. If we can run the ball we can play fake. If we can play fake, Revis will get burned.

Yeah and he's not having the massive bust out year some might assume he is. Shutting him down isn't a massive hit. There's a chance he can stay around his average of 5 - 6 recs and 50 - 60 yards and that would nullify the Revis effect. He has 4 TDs but this game with the jets poor covering LBs theyre more likely to come from Freddie, chandler and Nelson

Revis can only cover 1 guy. Even if he shuts Stevie down the whole game, we will still run the ball and pass to 4 other decent targets on any given down. If we can run the ball we can play fake. If we can play fake, Revis will get burned.

Well, it's not like the other guys are bums off the street. Cromartie is a pretty darn good #2

I love how everyone see one reply during a primetime game where Revis didn't get called for an obvious PI, and then somehow come to the conclusion that he ALWAYS gets away with PI.

He is a great CB...period.

Agreed. He does play physical, but it's not like he's just tackling guys downfield. He stays right around the fringe and it's what the great ones do.

Well, it's not like the other guys are bums off the street. Cromartie is a pretty darn good #2

Agreed. He does play physical, but it's not like he's just tackling guys downfield. He stays right around the fringe and it's what the great ones do.

and kyle wilson is probably the top one or two "3rd CBs" on any team in the league...hes really had himself a good start to this year, HE worries me

Call me crazy but I say go double tight and run it up there arss. Do what they want to do to us. Make Revis who may just be the best player in NFL (I would choose Calvin Johnson) tackle. Block him into the stands with a pulling guard or FB. Bring the pain to Revis island then when they least expect try to hit just one over the top.

and kyle wilson is probably the top one or two "3rd CBs" on any team in the league...hes really had himself a good start to this year, HE worries me

I hear ya, but it's not like we haven't seen some stud DBs this year. Samuel, Nnamdi, and DRC are no slouches.

Nelson should be back in the slot were he's best utilized.

Stevie's best strength is his ability to juke guys off the line. I've never seen him get consistently jammed for an entire game. Maybe he makes Revis look bad a few times in the redzone?

We didn't crap out that day, and I don't expect us to wuss out against these guys.

Call me crazy but I say go double tight and run it up there arss. Do what they want to do to us. Make Revis who may just be the best player in NFL (I would choose Calvin Johnson) tackle. Block him into the stands with a pulling guard or FB. Bring the pain to Revis island then when they least expect try to hit just one over the top.

I will call you crazy, but not for your overall game plan, we should run it down their throats all day long, but not from double tight..that will just allow Jets to stack the box with 8 defensemen and make our day harder...keep running the way we have, and from the formations we have (and especially to offensive left/defensive right, where jets are getting J'ed for 5.7 ypc) and it will = success

My point also. Leave Stevie to Revis, forget about em and be careful on the other side with Cromartie(Jones if he plays). We still have Nelson, Chandler, Spiller, maybe Smith, Ruvell Martin, and even Freddie on a screen or play action.

Also, I feel this game will be more about our O line and Fitz picking up those belligerent blitz packages after pre-snap reads. If we can gel well in those situations the Yets will have no chance.

I hear ya, but it's not like we haven't seen some stud DBs this year. Samuel, Nnamdi, and DRC are no slouches.

Nelson should be back in the slot were he's best utilized.

Stevie's best strength is his ability to juke guys off the line. I've never seen him get consistently jammed for an entire game. Maybe he makes Revis look bad a few times in the redzone?

We didn't crap out that day, and I don't expect us to wuss out against these guys.

We didn't push the ball at all there and additionally those Philly coaches refuse to line those guys up and press man.

Cro is highly inconsistent and doesn't scare me at all. Has little technique so to speak and just plays wreckless .... pretty much sums up his off field love making style too

I forgot we had a stable of probowlers at wideout.

As far as #2s go he's pretty darn good. He's especially nightmarish if fitz unleashes a couple of wtf throws his way. Huge frame, good hands, great with the ball in hand.

Edited by NoSaint

I forgot we had a stable of probowlers at wideout.

As far as #2s go he's pretty darn good. He's especially nightmarish if fitz unleashes a couple of wtf throws his way. Huge frame, good hands, great with the ball in hand.

What are you a jets troll? You completely dismiss the quality and depth of our recieving Corp and fitz ability to distribute the ball?

Cro ... beat off the line by simple move, has chance to make pick on under thrown ball, has it stripped away by WR for a TD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=791B76J5G-k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Lol dudes awesome. We better game plan around him.

What are you a jets troll? You completely dismiss the quality and depth of our recieving Corp and fitz ability to distribute the ball?

Cro ... beat off the line by simple move, has chance to make pick on under thrown ball, has it stripped away by WR for a TD

youtube.com/watch?v=791B76J5G-k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Lol dudes awesome. We better game plan around him.

Uh huh.... Saying cro is a really strong number 2 corner is especially troll-ish. I'm not saying pack up shop but revis - cro is a tough combo. Cro is sloppy and not particularly smart but he's also got a huge frame, is fast, has ball skills.... Hopefully he lays a bad one down. He will give you chances, but he can also hurt us if fitz gives him a chance.

Uh huh.... Saying cro is a really strong number 2 corner is especially troll-ish..

No, but being dismissive and sarcastic towards our own players is. For every good outing you get from cro you get more horrific ones. Guy gives jets coaching staff fits. Don't believe ? Read this

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-10-22/sports/30326158_1_mike-pettine-jets-cornerback-antonio-cromartie-dennis-thurman

Before crying for help like the proverbial fly in a web, you need to do better scouting

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

No, but being dismissive and sarcastic towards our own players is. For every good outing you get from cro you get more horrific ones. Guy gives jets coaching staff fits. Don't believe ? Read this

http://rlv.zcache.com/green_foot_tshirt-p235565711666882337one7_400.jpg

Before crying for help like the proverbial fly in a web, you need to do better scouting

youtube.com/watch?v=kqYDRxdgnC0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The matchup between there corners and our WR favors them. Pretty far down the depth chart. Doesn't make it unbeatable but yes, the individual matchups look better at 1-3 on the outside if your wearing green. Scheme, breakdowns, etc.... Will all give us chances. It's silly to be totally dismissive of those guys but act like ours have no question marks.

Offered analysis of Revis weak spot and how to beat him. Backed up with video. Jets are saying the same thing about cro I am. Simply a factual scouting report. Everyone has to be respected but no one's perfect and worthy of fly in the web defeatism.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Ive said it before and ill say it again, because of our offense and because of how Rexy has played Revis against similar style spread offenses (like the Patriots), Revis will most likely NOT just be locked onto Stevie all game, they will put Revis on an island on whichever side of the field they choose to lock down that entire side, and worry about the other 2/3rds of the field...Stevie will still get his catches, as will all our other WRs...

against teams with one stud WR (Andre Johnson/Calvin Johnson/Fitzgerald) then they match Revis up 1 on 1 all game and take away their best player...on a team that runs an open offense that doesnt channel/live and die through one player (like us), they will take away one side of the field by using Revis like that

and to answer the OP, YES, Revis is that good (and its good coaching/scheme as well)

I would be SHOCKED if they give Stevie that much respect to "waste" Revis on just him considering the Bills propensity to spread the love

Actually in the playoffs last year when they played the Pats* they put Revis on Welker in the slot so that it would take away that could limit Brady's quick strike ability while they Blitzed the **** out of him.

Although you are right that the Jets only man up Revis when there is a stud number one the team builds their passing offense around. Other wise they simply blitz away from him and allow him to cover an unprotected part of the field.

And to the original point of is Revis that good? Yeah he is, he is as close to a lock down corner as there can be in the NFL. Is he beatable yeah but he wins far more times than he gets beat. Don't throw at Revis that much if at all its not hype.

Offered analysis of Revis weak spot and how to beat him. Backed up with video. Jets are saying the same thing about cro I am. Simply a factual scouting report. Everyone has to be respected but no one's perfect and worthy of fly in the web defeatism.

Apparently noting we will get chances is defeatism? Heaven forbid they are better at a position group. No one is arguing pack it up and go home with a L. It's going to be tough. Find a hole, don't make mistakes.

Apparently noting we will get chances is defeatism?

Heaven forbid they are better at a position group. No one is arguing pack it up and go home with a L. It's going to be tough. Find a hole, don't make mistakes.

Defeatism was your tone to the point of mocking our own players until i softened you up with counter examples and analysis. Secondaries function as a unit and ours is leading the league in picks with a front 7 that produces less pressure. Who's better?

Defeatism was your tone to the point of mocking our own players until i softened you up with counter examples and analysis. Secondaries function as a unit and ours is leading the league in picks with a front 7 that produces less pressure. Who's better?

Clearly showed me. What will I do with my long history of extremist posting now that I'm proven to be all wrong.

My point was you were totally dismissing two guys that are much more proven than the guys they would be covering.

Get over it.

Clearly showed me. What will I do with my long history of extremist posting now that I'm proven to be all wrong.

My point was you were totally dismissing two guys that are much more proven than the guys they would be covering.

Get over it.

As a Bills fan witnessing the resurrection of winning, having a positive outlook on match ups should not be looked down upon. Optimism has been rare on this board, and here you are unable to tell the difference between "totally dismissing" the Jets secondary with someone actually being optimistic that we will find ways to exploit them. This team finally expects to win, some fans apparently disagree.

As a Bills fan witnessing the resurrection of winning, having a positive outlook on match ups should not be looked down upon. Optimism has been rare on this board, and here you are unable to tell the difference between "totally dismissing" the Jets secondary with someone actually being optimistic that we will find ways to exploit them. This team finally expects to win, some fans apparently disagree.

Never implied we won't win. Said those were matchups that would be tough across the board. Calling cromartie a bad corner isn't just being optimistic our guys will find a way.

Their corners match up really well against our wideouts. Stevie will need to have the game of his life to have a real impact. That leaves Nelson and jones against cromartie and Wilson. Cromartie is big experienced and athletic. Imconsistent and beat up physically right now too. Let's hope for an off day.

Last time we faced a team with a deep secondary (Philly) fitz was 1-2 for 14 yards on throws over 10 yards. Saying this part of the game will be our biggest challenge isn't going out on a limb and it isn't pessimistic.

Wow.

Saying No Saint is trollish?

Hilarious.

I too think that their CBs vs our WRs is a tough matchup for us. It's the only positional matchup that I'm concerned about. But I think Gailey and company will scheme around this and that our excellence in the running game and at quarterback will overcome the challenge.

It will be interesting what jets will do if we don't throw at him but other bills WRs catch fire and we get ahead. Will they move him to jones ( assuming he's back) or Nelson where he'd have a physical mismatch or Roosevelt where it would be a major concession putting him on such an unheralded guy.

This scenario has the possibility of playing out given how well fitz involves the entire Corp. On a team with flexibility like ours them focusing on one guy will be a liability.

And oh yeah there's freddie coming out of the backfield that Revis can't so anything about, other than get run over

Add Spiller to this in 5-wide and you have a real dilemma if you're Rex. Their 5th DB<our 5th WR.

Never implied we won't win. Said those were matchups that would be tough across the board. Calling cromartie a bad corner isn't just being optimistic our guys will find a way.

Their corners match up really well against our wideouts. Stevie will need to have the game of his life to have a real impact. That leaves Nelson and jones against cromartie and Wilson. Cromartie is big experienced and athletic. Imconsistent and beat up physically right now too. Let's hope for an off day.

Last time we faced a team with a deep secondary (Philly) fitz was 1-2 for 14 yards on throws over 10 yards. Saying this part of the game will be our biggest challenge isn't going out on a limb and it isn't pessimistic.

Now you see what I mean. No one called him a "bad" corner, he's just wildly inconsistent. Just as you took liberty with an over simplified paraphrase of what others stated, I did the same. When I stated that if Revis is successful at shutting down Johnson that Fitz would still have 4 other targets any given snap, you interpreted that as calling Cromagnon a bum. You have to admit that is quite a leap in interpretation and more of a provocative approach to discourse then you may realize. Cro can only cover one guy, and when he plays off his man he is an average corner. That leaves 3 other targets. I suppose I am calling the rest of the Jets secondary bums then?

Edited by RealityCheck

The way to beat Revis, or take him out of the game is. Send Stevie deep alot. Take Revis with him . If he breaks off Stevie, then Throw it deep on the safety.If he goes deep throw to Spillar or whoever underneath. Just my two cents worth.

Dude, one problem. OK, two problems that correlate.

1. Stevie is not a huge deep threat 'cuz he doesn't have burner speed.

2. Our OL is successful around Fitz's quick release. We don't have the kind of OL that gives Fitzy time to dial up Jimmy Johns take delivery and eat half a sandwich like Brady can and Kelly used to.

Dude, one problem. OK, two problems that correlate.

1. Stevie is not a huge deep threat 'cuz he doesn't have burner speed.

2. Our OL is successful around Fitz's quick release. We don't have the kind of OL that gives Fitzy time to dial up Jimmy Johns take delivery and eat half a sandwich like Brady can and Kelly used to.

He has enough to take him with him. If he drops him their just might be a hole there between him and the safety.They don`t have that much of a pass rush. I think it could work.They will stack eight in the box if we don`t try to stretch them.

Now you see what I mean. No one called him a "bad" corner, he's just wildly inconsistent. Just as you took liberty with an over simplified paraphrase of what others stated, I did the same. When I stated that if Revis is successful at shutting down Johnson that Fitz would still have 4 other targets any given snap, you interpreted that as calling Cromagnon a bum. You have to admit that is quite a leap in interpretation and more of a provocative approach to discourse then you may realize. Cro can only cover one guy, and when he plays off his man he is an average corner. That leaves 3 other targets. I suppose I am calling the rest of the Jets secondary bums then?

I quit, you win. I posted one, one sentence reply to you from my phone while killing time.... I'm sorry I didn't offer full analysis in it. All I was doing was pointing out that they had several other good corners beyond revis. To say we wash revis and Johnson out and then it's a good matchup for us still isn't true. It's workable. Pretty much any matchup in the league is workable with scheme and such. Even beyond scheme, the underdog will win some plays. We have to go pretty deep to get to our favorable matchups wide though. To be totally honest I forgot I even posted a reply to you on the previous page and thought you were chiming in on Joe and I debating the merits of cro. He did knock him repeatedly. Perhaps given that you understand my post more now?

Something tells me that we are going to come out with power running ala the Eagles game and try to exploit the Jets D with play action. They are going to key on Jackson big time, and I think it will work against them.

I'll agree with this. Hopefully we can get them drawn in and hit a guy on a slant with a step/broken tackle and no safety over the top cause he's in the box.

Edited by NoSaint

Good players get the benefit of the doubt. Revis is that good, and he gets the benefit of the doubt, like all good players. This thread is asinine.

Actually, Steve Johnson appears to match up about as well as anyone against Revis, due to his combination of size and agility. I don't think Steve is going to be consistently good throughout the game, but I won't be at all surprised if he makes one or two big plays that help us win the game.