Chan' s philosophy about winning

BuffaloBill

"I think if youre a coach and youre a leader of any sort youre not surprised by success, youre surprised by failure. I expect us to win every time we walk out there, I dont care who were playing or when we were playing. You expect to win. Everything you do, every practice rep that you take, every meeting minute that you spend is done with the idea that youre going to win. Youre surprised when you lose, not when you win." - Chan Gailey from his presser today

I have to admit that I questioned his selection as a coach but am very happy to say I could not have been more wrong. He certainly has the team believing in the philosophy above. Hats off to him and his staff. They have helped to make the Bills fun to watch again and not just some afterthought in the NFL.

Absolutely love that quote.

The players really bought into what Gailey was teaching and preaching sometime in the middle of last year. It continued on and expanded after the start this year. It helps that he has been making most of the right calls on Gameday too, which feeds the confidence in him. This team really believes in themselves and each other and their coach. That's also an extension of the kind of players Nix has assembled.

The Bills are pretty good, and getting better. Genuine Confidence (as opposed to talk or manufactured confidence) and momentum are a huge part of success in team sports.

Seeing that description in the thread title :sick:

I'm glad that after I read his comment it wasn't another Jauronism about to get put down on paper.

Love is mentality. You have to believe that will be rubbing off on everyone up and down through the team (as we have all seen evidence of in their play).

I love his attitude and it seems like a lot of the players being drafted have a similar mentality or have minds that can be molded into similar thinking.

seems like i remember reading shortly after this year's draft that the players selected weren't necessarily drafted because they were the biggst, fastest or strongest. but because they were natural leaders, people that played exceptionally hard, and they were all "football players". and this is only the first quarter of year #2. i like it!

:thumbsup:

Pretty consistent (almost identical, actually) to what Chan said when he took over as HC at Georgia Tech, way back in 2002...

"We'll have 12 regular season games plus a bowl, and I expect us to be 13-0," he said. "If I expect us to lose games, why not just skip them and cut the risk of someone getting hurt and go on to the next one? We plan and prepare and work to win every game we play. The goal is to be undefeated...I don't pay much attention to the schedule," Gailey said. "Whether it's weighted in our favor or not doesn't really matter to me. We play whoever shows up. It's not that big of a deal."

(Link - Chan Gailey expects his Georgia Tech football team to be undefeated)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I think if you’re a coach and you’re a leader of any sort you’re not surprised by success, you’re surprised by failure. I expect us to win every time we walk out there, I don’t care who we’re playing or when we we’re playing. You expect to win. Everything you do, every practice rep that you take, every meeting minute that you spend is done with the idea that you’re going to win. You’re surprised when you lose, not when you win." - Chan Gailey from his presser today

I have to admit that I questioned his selection as a coach but am very happy to say I could not have been more wrong. He certainly has the team believing in the philosophy above. Hats off to him and his staff. They have helped to make the Bills fun to watch again and not just some afterthought in the NFL.

Love the attitude.

One of Chan's quotes I liked came from his first presser after being named head coach. "I believe in toughness and discipline." For a while bb.com was playing it on the intro to their practice videos, etc.

When he was hired, I had a vague recollection of him as HC in Dallas. Aside from that, I was disappointed we did not get Shanny, Billick, or Chucky.

Tim Graham wrote an article about him referring to him as a "solid hire." Tim encouraged Bills fans to be patient, and watch to see what happened.

Aside from keeping Trench Edwards for a few games last season, Chan seems to do good things. I like the fact that once he changed his mind on Edwards, he did not just bench him, he released him. No need to be reminded of a bad decision every day.

seems like i remember reading shortly after this year's draft that the players selected weren't necessarily drafted because they were the biggst, fastest or strongest. but because they were natural leaders, people that played exceptionally hard, and they were all "football players". and this is only the first quarter of year #2. i like it!

A Pattonesque quote. Yeah I made up the word.

Chan may not have been the best coach available last year, but he was THE BEST CHOICE FOR THE BUFFALO BILLS.

Pattonesque indeed!

Someone else had quoted Gailey not long ago saying (paraphrased) "We're not trying to draft the best players, we're trying to draft the best team."

I was happy with the Nix hiring and the Gailey hiring.

When Nix was hired in early 2009 (as a scout), I posted a topic titled something like "Good News for the Bills."

Before it petered out, the post was met with a mixture of apathy and disdain.

So happy that the believers on this board are able to bask in the sunshine a bit.

We deserve it.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Gailey seems to be the opposite mindset from Jauron. I remember Jauron's press conferences stating how it is hard to win in the NFL and if you make mistakes you loose. With Jauron's mindset, if you don't play a perfect game you likely loose. I love it that Chan comes along with the mind set of expecting to win. The No Names listen to him and amazingly, with smart coaching, they are winning! Winning breeds confidence with higher expectations and personal accountability. If they keep winning like this, he'll be on the short list for Coach of the Year.

Expecting to win every game is an unsustainable belief. Sooner or later you are going to lose one, leading to the inevitable crumble of the franchise. This team is destined for failure.

We already lost one to the Bengals. But we bounced back by beating the Eagles. So much for your theory of the franchise crumbling after losing one!!!

Is anyone NOT extremely happy that Chan Gailey is our coach right now? Like many others, I had my reservations about Gailey at first. I didn't think it was a bad hire - we certainly could have done much worse. But neither was I saying "woohoo! Chan Gailey!" Now I am saying that...so woohoo!

I love Chan. Easily our best coach since Marv. And though this may sound like sacrilige, I'd take Gailey over Marv as a gameday coach. As long as we have patience and Nix delivers quality players, Chan will win with them.

When I read your first sentence I was thinking...Since Marv? I mean let's not jump to conclusions...but everything about Chan screams prodigious coach on the cusp of greatness. Is he perfect - no. There have been a few instances where I was like "what the heck are we doing?" But there have been many more instances when I just watch and think "wow". Marv was a decent coach, don't get me wrong. But he had possibly (and maybe even probably) the most talented team in the history of the NFL, but never won the big one. At this early juncture, I have to give the edge to Chan. But things may yet turn for the worse...however it certainly doesn't feel like that will be the case right now.

Fitzbeard is also a ringleader in this sentiment .... Another receiver goes down and he says I expect Roosevelt to make plays. I will throw to him. That is awesome and it takes the notion of injuries as an excuse to lose off the table.

Yea Fitz and Chan seem to have a symbiotic football relationship. They possibly compliment each other better than any other tandem in the league.

Its gotta be a mentality before it becomes a reality. Honestly I was very sour on the Gailey hiring but so far I can admit I was totally wrong.

I wasnt disappointed with the hire last year of Chan Gailey. I remember growing up when he was the OC for the Steelers. It was the Kordell Stewart days and it was fun to watch that team play offense. He has always been an offensive minded coach with successful team once he is given a FAIR shot. Unlike the Cowboys and the Chiefs. I like how he is old school and practices what he preaches. Very few people have that sort of toughness. Their is a video of him at Georgia almost losing his emotions after a tough win. Should check it out, he was proud of his team. I hope he is proud of the Bills so far.

Chan's a great person, first and foremost. So is Nix. Gailey wasn't the first choice, and he knows it. But he is thankful for the opportunity, like his players, and he certainly loves his job as a coach and as a leader. Players love him, but he isn't a players coach. His expecting to win at GT didn't quite pan out some years, but this is likely more a result of trying to recrutit players to an ACC school in SEC territory, and not a real good reflection on him as a HC. In the NFL, where the talent differential is not that great between winning and losing teams, the nuances of coaching, of fundamentals, preparation and discipline are magnified and these are clearly his strengths.

Edited by rpcolosi

Pattonesque indeed!

Someone else had quoted Gailey not long ago saying (paraphrased) "We're not trying to draft the best players, we're trying to draft the best team."

I was happy with the Nix hiring and the Gailey hiring.

When Nix was hired in early 2009 (as a scout), I posted a topic titled something like "Good News for the Bills."

Before it petered out, the post was met with a mixture of apathy and disdain.

So happy that the believers on this board are able to bask in the sunshine a bit.

We deserve it.

I posted similar positive thoughts on the Buddy and Chan's hiring and was met with scorn and ridicule, not just from TBD but from my family! I was reminded of my Pollyanna feelings after each of the first 8 games last year. I just said, like it or not, these guys have a plan and they are sticking to it. I suspect we'll have a few more setbacks but stick with the plan. Chan and Buddy have proven that they know talent and they know football. I don't rub it in to the naysayers. We need everyone onboard for this ride! Go Bills!

Edited by Green Lightning

I am so happy that we have Chan as a coach. I remember Jauron at his press confrences and he just looked like he had no pulse and like he was barely hanging on by a thread.

When I see Chan address the media, I see somoene who knows this team inside and out and is confident in what he is doing.

I posted similar positive thoughts on the Buddy and Chan's hiring and was met with scorn and ridicule, not just from TBD but from my family! I was reminded of my Pollyanna feelings after each of the first 8 games last year. I just said, like it or not, these guys have a plan and they are sticking to it. I suspect we'll have a few more setbacks but stick with the plan. Chan and Buddy have proven that they know talent and they know football. I don't rub it in to the naysayers. We need everyone onboard for this ride! Go Bills!

And think: we just started year two of the Nix/Gailey rebuild. The first draft hardly counts as Chan was still wrapping his head around the shotcomings of this team. (I also wonder how much influence RW had at that first draft, obviously this year Nix and Chan were firmly in control.) Anyway, next year we will draft to fill our current holes, and the three-year rebuild will be complete. If we don't make the playoffs this year, expect to make them next year . . . Chan will.