George Edwards needs to at least be demoted

Doc

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are still giving up a ton of points per game. And the collapse against the Bengals, and almost against the Eagles today was unnacceptable.

I agree with you completely. The D needs to improve.

My point is that yanking the DC while the team is winning, and the D is making game-changing plays that have directly won several games, is so not going to happen

You know, while watching the game I remember saying "we can't get a turnover every time".

Then, George Wilson picked it off.

And when I started praying for an interception in the last two minutes, we got one.

Is it sustainable? Probably not. But we're got going to play the best offenses in the NFL every week.

I read someone said the Patriots and the Packers have bad defenses, but let's not forget they have A. Rodgers and almighty T. Brady, we have R.Fitzpatrick, our QB is not as potent as these guys. We can't keep letting teams move the ball with such ease on us. I'm one that believe its time to give the mustache reigns, and demote Edwards to LB coach where he belongs.. But who am I, just another Bills fan..

We went over this last week and the week before.

1. Wannstedt is involved, he is the assistant HC for crying out loud, he outranks Edwards.

2. We are what we are on defense. Schemes will always be figured out .. sometimes by halftime, sometimes longer.

3. Thank God for the turnovers that we get ---- we get them because we play hard and we play clean (clean as in follow assignments and don't make mental errors).

Look at the Packers and Petriots defense ... they are not juggernauts either. We will get better on defense.

We are 4-1. Be Happy.

I agree. No reason to believe wanny isn't part of this problem or would do any better.

Some of these guys have a point. Who really cares about the final score, the object of the game is to give up few yards of offense than the other team? Winning on the scoreboard is so old school and corn-pone. How about working on the following agenda: forcing the other team into a high number of risky offensive plays, when they try to keep their offensive series going?

Winning on the scoreboard is a form of cornbread? Mmmm, sounds tasty.

Ill take a win either way. Great Job by the Bills! But giving up a steady 300-400 yards every game wont cary us to the playoffs. We are lucky to be 5-1. I dont blame anyone for wondering about George Edwards, it doesnt seem to be getting better. Luckily the other teams are making mistakes or we would be looking worse.

Hey guys, ease up on the ones wanting changes. All they see is 4-1 in the win/loss column and they have no idea how to live their lives like that so they think making changes mid-season and possibly causing confusion/hard feelings among players/coaches is a good idea despite having zero insight into how the Bills develop a gameplan or who has say/no say.

if you think we're gonna keep forcing 5 turners a week then, no , i guess you wouldn't care. i am not predicting that. we gave up another 489 yards today, we are at 475/game average over the last 4 weeks. how far can anyone really expect this team to go off that kind of defense? i don't give a **** if scoring is at record highs, that is just ridiculous.

You could have argued the D wasnt going to force 4ints the rest of the season after the pats game... 2 weeks later they forced 5 TO's

We are +11 in the TO differential and 4-1. Ill surrender a few yards for that

I live in Pittsburgh, and was talking to some of my friends who are big Pitt football fans.

I mentioned that folks were clamoring to promote Wannstadt.

They all laughed. They said if we thought Wannstadt was some kind of savior, then we're in serious trouble.

I have never thought Wannestadt was a good head coach. In fact, I always thought he was lousy. But his defenses usually played well, and he was a great DC. Your Pitt fans were referring to him as a head coach.

That said, we're winning, so there is no reason to promote him.

When the turnovers dry up - and they will eventually, you're left with a team that lets other teams drive up and down the field and score TDs. I love the turnovers as much as anyone but the Bills have lots of holes in the dam that they need to shore up if they want to make the playoffs.

Sometimes, they don't. It might not be every game, but plenty of teams get turnovers often, even consistently. There's a good chance Eli puts a few more on our total next week. Turnover differential is one of 2-3 stats that will consistently win you games.

As for the yards- some of it comes with being highscoring. Teams tend to mirror each other and either grind or shootout. Right now were in shootouts- both teams will score, as both teams will be taking shots. More yards, but more turnovers.

Sometimes, they don't. It might not be every game, but plenty of teams get turnovers often, even consistently. There's a good chance Eli puts a few more on our total next week. Turnover differential is one of 2-3 stats that will consistently win you games.

As for the yards- some of it comes with being highscoring. Teams tend to mirror each other and either grind or shootout. Right now were in shootouts- both teams will score, as both teams will be taking shots. More yards, but more turnovers.

Exactly. Half this board can't seem to understand that concept. All around the league QB's are throwing for huge numbers, but still losing. It's difficult to evaluate a defense that is spending 3 quarters defending a big lead.

,The offense trying to come back is playing like it's the 2 minute warning and taking more risks. They force the defense to concentrate on the pass and that allows for the occasional big rushing play. They also are more likely to go for it on 4th down. There are just so many more risks that the offense is going to take.

The right way to counter it is to try to contain them and capitalize when the offense takes too big of a risk, or makes the virtually inevitable mistake. This Bills defense has been jumping on mistakes. That's good defense.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Exactly. Half this board can't seem to understand that concept. All around the league QB's are throwing for huge numbers, but still losing. It's difficult to evaluate a defense that is spending 3 quarters defending a big lead.

In addition, Offense tends to lead early in the season and defense comes on later in the season.

If anyone doesn't like how the Bills are playing, pick a different team and root for them. Then you don't have to worry about our defense, and we don't have to listen to you B word.

We are still giving up a ton of points per game. And the collapse against the Bengals, and almost against the Eagles today was unnacceptable.

How'd they do at the end of the game? How many points did they give up? How's they do at the end of the Bengals game? This team needs to score 30+ each week for this team to win with the D the way it is. It's not sustainiable.

The Patriots have sustained that winning style for oh a decade or so. Quit whining.

The NFL is an offense-driven league now. There are no "shut down" defenses -- even the Ravens and Jets get pushed around. The key is to avoid too many big plays and CREATE TURNOVERS. The Bills' defense has had one horrible half (Cinci) in which they let another team grind them down. Otherwise, they've given up yards but made big play after big play. They picked Brady and Vick EIGHT TIMES -- it's not just luck (although that plays a part).

The Bills defense is certainly not elite, but for the first time in a while there are PLAYMAKERS throughout the squad. Williams and Dareus up front, Barnett at LB (with signs of life from Moats and Shep), and Wilson/Byrd/Florence in the secondary.

The NFL is an offense-driven league now. There are no "shut down" defenses -- even the Ravens and Jets get pushed around. The key is to avoid too many big plays and CREATE TURNOVERS. The Bills' defense has had one horrible half (Cinci) in which they let another team grind them down. Otherwise, they've given up yards but made big play after big play. They picked Brady and Vick EIGHT TIMES -- it's not just luck (although that plays a part).

The Bills defense is certainly not elite, but for the first time in a while there are PLAYMAKERS throughout the squad. Williams and Dareus up front, Barnett at LB (with signs of life from Moats and Shep), and Wilson/Byrd/Florence in the secondary.

Lets not forget that Vick cranked up 500+ yards against San Fransico and lost the week before.

There were so many plays that the Bills defense covered well and then Vick made big yardage by either moving in the pocket and buying time, or running the ball himself. Take away those plays, plays that few QBs can consistently make, and the numbers get a bit better.

Sure, our defense needs work but the game is changing and more teams are piling up big yardage every week.