Troup and Carrington

cage

In light of everything that we're complaining about on the Defensive side I want to shout out to Torrell Troup and Alex Carrington. Where are you guys??

Troup, 2nd round pick for those you who don't know who I'm talking about based listening to the announcers during games, has been beyond invisible. No production to speak of going into his 2nd year. Also drafted by current regime, not Dick Jauron.

Stats on the year: 1 tackle, 1 assist, 0 sacks

Carrington, seemed to show well in the preseason and it was reasonable to expect that he would be young leader on a "rising" defense, but practically nothing since the real games had started. Oh yeah 3rd round pick last year by the same regime,... again not Dick Jauron.

Stats on the year: 2 tackles, 0 assist, 0 sacks

What can we say about these guys??

Troup, 2nd round pick for those you who don't know who I'm talking about based listening to the announcers during games, has been beyond invisible. No production to speak of going into his 2nd year. Also drafted by current regime, not Dick Jauron.

Troup's only been active for one game this season due to injury. Hard to knock him for lack of production this year when he hasn't been on the field.

I think part of the lack of aggression is the players we have at the CB positions. McGee out and Williams out makes the secondary look alot different, especially when opposing 3 and 4 wide sets. They seem scared to send extra guys at the QB because of a possible lapse in coverage. Do I agree with it? No, I'd rather try to rattle the QB and take my chances. We should've been sending 5 and 6 guys all day long against Dalton, IMO. Let him take a couple of hard hits and he's not standing so poised back there on that final drive.

Not sure how/why you would slight them for their lack of production when the aren't on the field much.

For exactly that reason... they're high draft choices in their 2nd year by the current front office on a poor defense. Why aren't they on the field?

High draft picks should be starting or having significant playing time on bad defenses.

Edited by cage

I like Troup. He looks pretty solid when i see him. As everyone noted, he missed the first 3 games with back problems. And DT's that are there to anchor and not pass rush will never put up stats. So rotating in for some plays, not much chance to notice him. Still think it was not a bad pick, other than I thought we'd get him in the 3rd and not the 2nd.

As for our D strategy, I agree we should be more aggressive. I thought that was the point of the 3-4, is that it allows more variance in pass rushing and more confusion for the offense. But we don't do any of that... we just rush the same 4 guys on every play. I don't see how that's ever going to work. And if anything, the sketchy CB situation we have now should lead to a MORE aggressive pass rush, not less.

For exactly that reason... they're high draft choices in their 2nd year by the current front office on a poor defense. Why aren't they on the field?

High draft picks should be starting or having significant playing time on bad defenses.

Kyle Williams plays Troup's spot. So aside from when we lineup in a 4-3, or unless we move KW to DE, Troup won't see a lot of action.

Carrington does see some action, but with Kelsay and Merriman ahead of him, well.. they aren't just going to bench those guys just yet.

Further, quick passing game of the NFL today is going to limit sacks. I'd be surprised if they are not down across the board. Looks at the passing yardage this year, it's insane. Without fooling the D, which we don't, tough to get there. Von Miller one exception, he's a freak.

Carrington is still learning and growing. He will be a very good player. He has been burned a few times on draws and screens, so the O has attacked his aggressiveness. He will get better at recognizing those.

I think people place unrealistic expectations on young players. For non first-round picks, it often takes a few years before they reach their NFL potential. Hell, it often takes awhile for first rounders to develop.

Last year everyone wanted to go after Soliai of Miami. He rarely played until his 3rd year, and didn't get significant playing time until his 4th year (last year).

Overall I think Carrington's potential level is higher than Troup's. Troup will be a good cog in the middle; i think Carrington can be a game-changer. But that might not happen for another year or so...

I put a lot of the blame on the defensive scheme.

We lack aggression and confusion on defense and the opposing team offenses find it easy to pick the secondary and occasionally the rushing defense apart because of this. Its extremely frustrating to watch this defense let opposing teams have all day to find the open seams while our defense sits in prevent especially after watching the New York Jets or Pittsburgh Steelers defense in action.

Agreed. I think I could throw for 300 Yds against the Bills along with anyone else here. They gotta change things up and bring pressure on the QB. Troup and Carrington don't seem to be any sort of factor.

Carrington does see some action, but with Kelsay and Merriman ahead of him, well.. they aren't just going to bench those guys just yet.

Somebody explain to me why they have a 305 lb. DE playing OLB?? Talk about extremes...1st Maybin at 220, then Carrington at 305. That must be a doozy of a scheme when these two players are at the same position. EDWARDS ROCKS! :lol: :lol:

Edited by LabattBlue

Somebody explain to me why they have a 305 lb. DE playing OLB?? Talk about extremes...1st Maybin at 220, then Carrington at 305. That must be a doozy of a scheme when these two players are at the same position. EDWARDS ROCKS! :lol: :lol:

Because the Bills are in a 4-3/ 4 man fronts most of the time.

Because the Bills are in a 4-3/ 4 man fronts most of the time.

Are you speculating, or know this as fact? Sometimes it is hard to differentiate fact from fiction on this board.

Why wouldn't he be playing DE in the 3-4 fronts, and why has it been reported that he is practicing at OLB?

I will have to watch Carrington closer this week.

Both these guys went to work in the offseason to get bigger and stronger -- they'll both be solid starters or key rotational players ---

Carrington has gotten great push on the pocket when he's played and will eventually be they every down DE when they are in 4-man fronts -- might even have pushed Edwards if he wasn't playing so good --

Troup hasn't seen field enough due to injury -- he looked very good at camp before hurting his hand --

Both will pan out to be solid picks --

They should, if we had an actual defensive coordinator. Edwards and Wanny should switch roles. Wanny knows how to get production out of defensive players.

I put a lot of the blame on the defensive scheme.

We lack aggression and confusion on defense and the opposing team offenses find it easy to pick the secondary and occasionally the rushing defense apart because of this. Its extremely frustrating to watch this defense let opposing teams have all day to find the open seams while our defense sits in prevent especially after watching the New York Jets or Pittsburgh Steelers defense in action.

You mean getting chewed up in the running game like Pitt and the Jets defense have this year. Both teams are giving up well over 100 yards per game. Jets are almost last in the league against the run and Pitt is in the bottom bracket.

Not defending our defense, just saying even well-coached defensive oriented teams can still struggle like we are.....

In light of everything that we're complaining about on the Defensive side I want to shout out to Torrell Troup and Alex Carrington. Where are you guys??

Carrington, seemed to show well in the preseason and it was reasonable to expect that he would be young leader on a "rising" defense, but practically nothing since the real games had started. Oh yeah 3rd round pick last year by the same regime,... again not Dick Jauron.

Stats on the year: 2 tackles, 0 assist, 0 sacks

What can we say about these guys??

The most obvious thing is that stats are for losers. ;)

They should, if we had an actual defensive coordinator. Edwards and Wanny should switch roles. Wanny knows how to get production out of defensive players.

I'm sure that Wannstedt has plenty of say. He has an Assistant Head Coach title, I doubt he just silently defers to Edwards.

Are you speculating, or know this as fact? Sometimes it is hard to differentiate fact from fiction on this board.

Why wouldn't he be playing DE in the 3-4 fronts, and why has it been reported that he is practicing at OLB?

For the record, I have only noticed Carrington playing as a 5tech on some obvious passing downs the alst 2 weeks.

And I think they arent producing because they arent very good. Fans around hear seem to think every player will develop into a starter, but that just is not the case. When players show something early, they tend to succeed, when they dont, meh.

For the record, I have only noticed Carrington playing as a 5tech on some obvious passing downs the alst 2 weeks.

And I think they arent producing because they arent very good. Fans around hear seem to think every player will develop into a starter, but that just is not the case. When players show something early, they tend to succeed, when they dont, meh.

Look at Dares v Maybin. One sucked so bad the coaches were worried about him ever contributing after just his first OTAs, the other was a top 2 player on the defense his first day of practice.

Quick Someone get a hold of White House and let them know we have a crisis!!! Talk about slamming dude. Relax, I do agree the Bills have issues but at this pont in time to start calling out people is not going to do a thing. They all know what is on their plate and what needs to be done. Why slam on these guys when the probowler up front starts??? Why not Marcell or Edwards??? Why not the LBS???? Why not the CB's and safety's????? Point is the WHOLE DEFENSE AS ONE UNIT NOT INDIVIDUALS!!!!! They have one game in which they don't win and we all of a sudden have problems??? What if they won, would you write this post? ESPN has this thing they call COME ON MAN..... This post should be on it. Sorry but not called for....

Do you watch the games? The Bills are almost never in a 3-4 front. It's always 4 guys with a hand on the ground.