A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gailey definitely game-plans around his offensive weakness: the OL. No deep drops and Fitz isn't asked to wing it deep or throw many deep outs. Throw in FJ, who is a strong between the tackles runner and their plan worked for today.

It will be interesting to see how they adapt to opponents now having film on them. Not saying they'll have trouble moving forward, rather, just how the staff can stay ahead of defenses.

i am not crazy about fitz' apparent passing motion of retreat instead of stepping into the throw...but....who's gonna argue after today????

Look at Philip River's throwing motion. It looks crazy bad but is crazy good. I think Fitz has just learned to be good throwing with this motion. He started out rusty but got better as the game went on. Lets hope he keeps getting more accurate.

i actually thought that mckelvin looked solid today. he put up some pretty solid coverage, defended a few good passes, and jumped a few routes (timing was off a bit, i assume that will get better as the season goes on. he did mis-time the ball for the pick on the kc td, but all in all i thought he was solid today

Bill,

You are talking about 1 play in the entire game against last years NFL Sack leader...:)

I gotta go with John on this one. Being a solid offensive lineman doesn't mean you can't have a bad play here or there. Overall, I thought the line was solid, including Pears. The mere fact that I mostly didn't notice anyone on the line the whole game is a good sign.

i actually thought that mckelvin looked solid today. he put up some pretty solid coverage, defended a few good passes, and jumped a few routes (timing was off a bit, i assume that will get better as the season goes on. he did mis-time the ball for the pick on the kc td, but all in all i thought he was solid today

Agreed. Having a decent line makes a world of difference for the Dbs. Williams jumped a route and just missed, which resulted in a Chiefs TD. Florence jumped a route and got an INT. McLovin jumped a route and just misjudged it a little or could have had an INT. All of our DBs closed hard on the run game because RBs weren't running into the defensive backfield untouched. We'll see a much different DB backfield this year. I think Byrd is going to have a great year.

Great points Bill and everyone else. Saw most of the game via computer which makes it difficult to distinguish jersey #s but wanted to add the following:

-This was the first game in many years where I see the Bills having the potential to dominate on both sides of the ball. No predictions on the season but I never had this impression even during the 7-9 years.

-OL looks competent, they are still a work in progress but I was definitely encouraged today.

-As well as Dareus played today, he's just scratching the surface and I can't wait till he gets comfortable and really starts kicking *ss.

-Defense was vulnerable to misdirection plays as they were over-pursuing. Should be easily corrected though.

-Fred Jackson was an absolute monster today, he was a smaller, smarter version of what Marshawn aspired to be. Give Spiller more (playing) time before passing judgement on him.

-We may finally have a tight end. And he looks young and should fill out over the next couple years. A bit of a liability blocking though.

-Fitz is clearly our leader, excited to see how he does this year. I think he'll always be a bit inaccurate but he seems able to overcome it.

-Lastly, thanks to the coaches and the players for a great game. I'm hoping this year reminds me of 1987 season.

Edit: Favorite play of the game -Chandler's second touchdown. Buffalo had 3rd and goal inside the five. Consecutive false start and delay of game penalties push it out beyond the 10. &@*%$*%^$@ great, here comes a field goal. Ryan and Scott had other ideas though. Fantastic.

Edited by GaryPinC

I wonder why Ryan Lindell wasn't booting it out of the end zone today? He was in pre-season. So it must be a strategy move.

Thought the exact same thing during the game. My guess is, you kick it light to the goal line, and your coverage team has a 5 yard head start from the same return spot last year. I think it makes sense. Worked today.

Solid tackling on display all day, I thought. Good, fundamental football. I credit Chan a lot for that.

Few apparent mental mistakes today, few penalties, no drive killing penalties. We didn't shoot ourselves in the foot. Very efficient and business-like approach.

Hope those smug Jets go down hard tonight.

Hi, Bill!

Great opening to the season. I enjoyed the hell out of it, and have to take a 'bye' on using this to predict the season.

I really hope they can play with the same intensity in the home opener. Yes, I will be there.

Today the Bills looked like a professional football team.

woo-hoo! :w00t:

Hi, Bill!

Great opening to the season. I enjoyed the hell out of it, and have to take a 'bye' on using this to predict the season.

I really hope they can play with the same intensity in the home opener. Yes, I will be there.

Today the Bills looked like a professional football team.

woo-hoo! :w00t:

For me, that sums up the game more than anything. In fact, talking to my mom after the game, that's exactly what I said! They actually looked like a professional team for the first time in forever. The defense wasn't shredded on the ground. I had long ago given up on a TE ever playing for the Bills again. They had a nice balanced offense, running and passing, but also in spreading the ball around to receivers. They even made the right decisions (a knee to end the half, for ex).

All in all, I just kept thinking... wow! So this is what professional football is supposed to look like? I like it. Now lets keep it up in week 2!

The Bills need to throw more to Spiller. He's not a good short yardage back because he doesn't have Jackson's feel for the blocking schemes and what to do when a hole quickly opens. But get the ball to him in the open field and he can probably gain gobs of yards like he did at Clemson. On a third and one in the red zone during the first half, I had no idea why he was in the game to be given the ball on a running play, which got nowhere. We were good; perhaps we can even be better. The confidence level now has to be a major plus in any case.

Anyone want Maybin back?

I love this thread! :thumbsup:

Below is a list of players who played better than I'd expected:

Ryan Fitzpatrick. I'm among those who are convinced he shouldn't be the Bills' long-term answer at QB. But I give him credit for having played very well today.

Demetrius Bell. Just a few days ago I referred to him as a below-average LT. He sure didn't play like one today.

Fred Jackson. I expected him to play well, don't get me wrong. But I didn't expect him to play this well! He looked like a top-5 RB today!

Scott Chandler. The last time the Bills had a real TE, Clinton was president, Google didn't exist, the World Wide Web was just getting started, and Netscape was one of its most important companies. Having a real TE again--or at least a guy who played like a real TE for a game--felt like a weird trip back through time. I'm not complaining though! :)

The Bills' defense as a whole. I was expecting the defense to be significantly improved over last year. But I didn't expect it to look like this! This defense gives the impression of being cohesive, and of making you earn everything you get. It seemed to have very few weaknesses to exploit, and gave the impression of all-around solidity.

Today's victory was a combination of the Bills playing well and the Chiefs playing poorly. I'm curious to see how the Bills will look against better-prepared opponents. But while the BIlls won't usually look as good as they did against the Chiefs, I think it's become clear they've become a much tougher team to beat than they'd been last year.

Thanks Bill.

Firstly, I would like to join you in offering our prayers to the families of the victims on that ghastly day 10 years ago. I hope time has been a big healer for all of them to move forward in their lives. None of our lives have been the same since the day it happened...We can only hope that sanity will prevail and such cowardly acts will not be committed by the human race, but it doesn't seem to stop...I was a witness just two months ago to another terrorist attack here in Mumbai India with victims all over the place. It is a sad day.

The NFL did a great job of honoring the hero's and the country with their opening celebrations. And to make the day great, the Bills finally pounded an opponent, something I had not seen since that 2003 opener against the Patriots.

The Bills came out wanting this game more than the chiefs. I believe this team is truly behind each other, but at the same time letting every one play their game. In the past often, some of the players would try to compensate for others and it just didn't work. I am glad Gailey was really able to lit some fire under the team during this mini-offseason. (May be Gailey had the quote of Marv Levy on the locker room walls as to how the Bills were insane to let go of Poz, Edwards, Lynch, Whitner and Lee Evans. May be he challenged his team to play better than those guys and every one of them who replaced those guys did.

It was good to see WRs getting separation, good to see the QB throw the ball in anticipation (and not waiting till the receiver is open)....DBs playing man and not giving up that stupid 15 yard cushion as in the cover 2, LBs making tackles of RBs behind the line of scrimmage and yes.....finally a TE sighting!....

Unsung Heros:

Bell - For the beating he took in the off season, he came out pretty good

Wood - Was a monster taking on double teams all the time.

Bryan Scott - 8 Tackles, and a sack...More importantly in the backfield tackling RBs (something never heard Whitner do).

Florence - Had a superb game. Never let the WRs get in rythm

Kelsay - Yes....Kelsay was actually good, putting lot of pressure on the QB.

Dareus - This guy has meant so much to this team. Just the presence of him has created such an aura, it is really amazing and he played exactly as advertised....

And Finally to Chan Gailey - For having his team well prepared for the game (with all the emotions surrounding it) and not letting them making mental mistakes. What a Great Day.

Edited by ganesh

I havent seen a lot of love sent David Nelsons way but he caught everything today

Agreed. Nelson had a great game, as did Chandler and Stevie. I like that on many of these throws, Fitz is just putting it up and trusting these guys to make the play.

1) To the civilians, firefighters and of course my brother police officers who lost their lives 10 years ago: I am glad that your time in heaven is pleasant. You are heroes, and I wish I could haved saved you. I constantly think about you; you are the best thing that ever happened to New York.

2) Andy Levitre threw key blocks today. He was always decent on passing plays but today, he put himself in position and took out his man time after time on FJ runs. So yes, I said before and am saying after this "benching" stint that he is our best blocker. If you disagree, please take me to task.

3) Barnett is twice as good as Poz. That's all I have to say about this issue but do feel free to comment.

4) I was lucky enough to have watched the game with two of my daughters today. My oldest (an ivy league and law school grad) made a striking comment. She said that she learned more about football today that any day of her life. She btw is 27. She said that they actually did things that I have been screaming at them to do for as long as she could remember.

5) If I had to pick just one player who won us this game, it would be Marcel Dareus. He won't show up on the stat sheets but he simply kicked ass. He stretched out runs and pushed back the pocket on pass plays. This, in his first NFL game. Marcel Dareus, at least today, was the exact football player that this team has always needed. OMG it was great to watch!!!!!!!!!!

6) I promised someone named Dan (a TBD lurker) from Buffalo that I would give him a shout out. Here it is. Good game!

7) Sorry, Pears is a huge concern. I won't go into it, but I saw what I saw and it wasn't good.

8) Badolbilz told us about Chandler. His hands were as soft as cotton and he looks as if he can block and get open. Please take this post as an overdue shoutout. Badol, you forgot more about football than most of us will ever know. Sorry to single you out, but please come back to TBD. The problems you had here can be worked out, and this board will never be as good without you my friend. Not ever.

9) I was impressed by Byrd. He looks to be in better condition than last season, and he was getting physical in the first half.

10) OK, more about Dareus....KELSAY was making plays. Spenser Johnson looked like a good football player. This doesn't happen in a vacuum. Marcel was occupying blockers. I am just so psyched about this kid!!!

11) Fitz? He was every bit as good as he had to be. He is a QB who is capable of winning football games (same with Stevie Johnson). He and Fitz are partners. I love that s--t.

12) Chan Gailey really had a set of b%^^s today. I would have been more conservative but his calls worked. And btw, I personally guarantee that Brad Smith will win us at least 1 football game this season. I am thinking 2.

13) We are in first place, an undefeated team! Yeah,us, the Buffalo Bills! I absolutely love it! So world....excuse the f*&k out of me.

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dareus is exactly what we have been begging for ..for years. A big man who can finally help this team win the battle in the trenches and push the pocket. I remember watching sick as other teams grabbed up the Suggs, Ngatas, and Ndamukongs of the draft classes transforming their defenses with players that elevated the play of all those around them. Finally, finally, we have a GM that looked down at the field and simply said, we need to get bigger and stronger. Kudos to Nix and company for getting it right. Though Cam looked good in his first game, interesting to see what happens as teams get more film on him...

Byrd came back from groin surgery last year and just was not the same player he was his rookie season, it's early, but he looked like the old Jarius - fast, instinctive all over the field, and constantly around the ball.

Chandler is what we have needed at TE for a long while as well. Big, soft hands, and some wheels to find the soft spots in opposing defenses. Might as well raid other teams for their backups since the Bills simply have not been able to draft and develop a meaningful TE since Friggin Lonnie, and he was meaningful in the sense that he had all the physical tools you could want, would have flashes of great plays but would follow them up with the dumbest things. We had Kevin Everett who looked like he may have had potential to developed behind Royal, but we all know what happened there, and we had a few journeymen and castoffs and the promise of Shawn Nelson with his headaches, injuries, drug suspension. Yeah, you guys know....you older guys who remember the K from the K-gun remember what has been missing from Buffalo's offense for more than a decade - great TE play. Too early to tell, but maybe we have some hope in this Chandler kid. Dallas did pretty well with that Witten pick, so maybe tapping their backups was not a bad idea.

Let's see if they can carry this confidence and momentum over to the Oakland game.

I like Chan's "pressers" - who hasn't wanted to stick it to his or her old employer. I loved his answer when they asked if he enjoyed sticking it to the organization that fired him, "it felt good, I'd be lying if I said otherwise". Classic.