A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen to number 1.

Sorry but Fitz is gonna have to show me he can do that again. Having a big tight-end really saved his butt today. Plus we got help from a team that was looking past us. That said, I think this was a really great start. Now we need to develop some genuine consistency in the running and passing games.

No mention of Fred? The guy is an animal. Top 10 RB in this league. Yes, I said it.

It is high time he is recognized as such and... Nix and the coaches need to swallow their pride and treat Spiller as a "Reggie Bush" type back! Fred has been running with this type of passion for a long time, is a great blocker and can catch the ball! Spiller should be nothing more than a change of pace back.

Sorry but Fitz is gonna have to show me he can do that again. Having a big tight-end really saved his butt today. Plus we got help from a team that was looking past us. That said, I think this was a really great start. Now we need to develop some genuine consistency in the running and passing games.

Why would the Chiefs look past us? It was their #### home opener!!

1) To the civilians, firefighters and of course my brother police officers who lost their lives 10 years ago: I am glad that your time in heaven is pleasant. You are heroes, and I wish I could haved saved you. I constantly think about you; you are the best thing that ever happened to New York.

2) Andy Levitre threw key blocks today. He was always decent on passing plays but today, he put himself in position and took out his man time after time on FJ runs. So yes, I said before and am saying after this "benching" stint that he is our best blocker. If you disagree, please take me to task.

3) Barnett is twice as good as Poz. That's all I have to say about this issue but do feel free to comment.

4) I was lucky enough to have watched the game with two of my daughters today. My oldest (an ivy league and law school grad) made a striking comment. She said that she learned more about football today that any day of her life. She btw is 27. She said that they actually did things that I have been screaming at them to do for as long as she could remember.

5) If I had to pick just one player who won us this game, it would be Marcel Dareus. He won't show up on the stat sheets but he simply kicked ass. He stretched out runs and pushed back the pocket on pass plays. This, in his first NFL game. Marcel Dareus, at least today, was the exact football player that this team has always needed. OMG it was great to watch!!!!!!!!!!

6) I promised someone named Dan (a TBD lurker) from Buffalo that I would give him a shout out. Here it is. Good game!

7) Sorry, Pears is a huge concern. I won't go into it, but I saw what I saw and it wasn't good.

8) Badolbilz told us about Chandler. His hands were as soft as cotton and he looks as if he can block and get open. Please take this post as an overdue shoutout. Badol, you forgot more about football than most of us will ever know. Sorry to single you out, but please come back to TBD. The problems you had here can be worked out, and this board will never be as good without you my friend. Not ever.

9) I was impressed by Byrd. He looks to be in better condition than last season, and he was getting physical in the first half.

10) OK, more about Dareus....KELSAY was making plays. Spenser Johnson looked like a good football player. This doesn't happen in a vacuum. Marcel was occupying blockers. I am just so psyched about this kid!!!

11) Fitz? He was every bit as good as he had to be. He is a QB who is capable of winning football games (same with Stevie Johnson). He and Fitz are partners. I love that s--t.

12) Chan Gailey really had a set of b%^^s today. I would have been more conservative but his calls worked. And btw, I personally guarantee that Brad Smith will win us at least 1 football game this season. I am thinking 2.

13) We are in first place, an undefeated team! Yeah,us, the Buffalo Bills! I absolutely love it! So world....excuse the f*&k out of me.

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent point...also watched game with daughter who is a law school grad as well! That Chandler was a shock to me, and I have to say I was impressed with the offensive line I have been badmouthing...they did the job today. The defense was awesome and Fitz is definitely the man for this team. It is only one game, but a very very very nice start....

The game ball...gotta go to Chan Gailey. Very well executed game plan, and incidentally I thought he was classy pulling fitz et al at the end of the game. I couldn't have blamed him if he had decided to rub it in, but he showed class and good sportsmanship.

Look at Philip River's throwing motion. It looks crazy bad but is crazy good. I think Fitz has just learned to be good throwing with this motion. He started out rusty but got better as the game went on. Lets hope he keeps getting more accurate.

One thing I thought is that Fitz just ISN'T a "star in shorts". With the lights on,he really took it up a level.

Gailey definitely game-plans around his offensive weakness: the OL. No deep drops and Fitz isn't asked to wing it deep or throw many deep outs. Throw in FJ, who is a strong between the tackles runner and their plan worked for today.

It will be interesting to see how they adapt to opponents now having film on them. Not saying they'll have trouble moving forward, rather, just how the staff can stay ahead of defenses.

I had that same thought. It seemed as though Haley really game-planned for last year's Bills team.

This isn't last year's Bills team.

So now that teams have film on us, it will be tougher. I hope our scouts (scouting the Raiders) are far more up on the job than KC's scouts were, scouting us.

I only saw one Raiders preseason game, but they made a decent NO offense look pretty shabby and a meh NO defense look pretty porous.

Nice post.

Good to see you happy if just for a week. :)

I missed most of the first half but from there on out was observing that:

- This was a very disciplined performance in all aspects. The stat sheet shows 5-30 and that is not too bad considering the amount of time we had the ball

- FJ is really really good. He set the tone and established the credibility of the run threat. That was very important considering we were going into a raucous stadium

- I wouldn't yet consider the OL problem solved but this was a solid performance.

- Troup and Easley were out and they can only make this team better

Lets hope for no injuries and have a heck of a season

Excellent point...also watched game with daughter who is a law school grad as well! That Chandler was a shock to me, and I have to say I was impressed with the offensive line I have been badmouthing...they did the job today. The defense was awesome and Fitz is definitely the man for this team. It is only one game, but a very very very nice start....

The game ball...gotta go to Chan Gailey. Very well executed game plan, and incidentally I thought he was classy pulling fitz et al at the end of the game. I couldn't have blamed him if he had decided to rub it in, but he showed class and good sportsmanship.

LOL, cool!

The thing is, she learned so much because she said that for years, I have been telling her what the Bills do, and yesterday they actually did it. :thumbsup:

And yes, Gailey was superb. There were time I hope he would just run out the clock. He went to the air, and it worked. :thumbsup: At half time, I thought that perhaps they should have tried to get into field goal range. He didn't, and it worked. :thumbsup:

Only a Bills fan can understand what its like to watch inept coaching year after year. Gailey is a teacher, and an offensive mind.

What a great freaking game!!!

These are my absolute favorite threads, every year. Thanks for doing them, Bill.

As I have not followed the Bills as closely as I once did, I did not realize Badolbilz had left. That is a another huge hit to TSW.

Edited by KnightRider

Didn't get to see the game as we never get Bills coverage down here, but watched it incessantly online and been looking everywhere for as many highlights as I can find. Here are some of my impressions of the game to add to a list I largely agree with...

1. Bills did a very good job containing the top rushing team in the league from last year, something you would not expect from the 2010's worst rush defense. This was the offseason #1 priority and the preliminary results were very good. Allowed only 108 total rushing yards. The Chiefs did manage 6.0 yards per attempt however, so not exactly perfect, and clearly early in the 3rd quarter the Chiefs had to largely abandon the run. Still, Charles got most of his meager 56 yards rushing on two plays, one 22 and one 14 yard rushes in the first half, both on the Chiefs best drives of the 1st half. Besides those plays, he was largely contained, and eventually made irrelevant by the play of the offense. Certainly Charles is the most potent weapon the Chiefs have, so it was a great job to neutralize him.

2. The Chiefs had seemed like one of the model teams to look at in trying to turn around a franchise after last years playoff run, but to go on the road and pound them is a great statement that the Bills are ready to do the same. The Bills played with enthusiasm and guts and showed the league and themselves what they are capable of. Hell, if we were in the AFC West we'd already be in great shape!

3. We did seem to get some breaks early on, like the fumble on the opening kickoff and the reversed touchdown. But good teams make you pay when things go their way, and the Bills pounced on those early chances and made the Chiefs play catch-up the rest of the game. Very nice to see that. Also, the Chiefs took a little momentum into halftime, holding us to FGs and scoring a TD of their own and then stopped the Bills first drive in the 2nd half. But the defense came up with a couple of tackles for a loss on the ensuing KC possession and the Bills offense took the good field position they got and converted a nice TD drive with it. Very impressive, nicely aggressive and the kind of killer mentality the Bills haven't shown in awhile. That all but wrapped the game up, as the chiefs struggle to score quickly.

Its hard to imagine a better opening game. The Bills still have alot of questions to answer, but it would seem that they should bring a lot of confidence into their home opener next week against a team flying across the country on a short week, so it's hard not to start thinking about 2-0. Great job Bills!

Our secondary was awesome. Top four tacklers, and an average of 2.9 yards per pass attempt.

The jury may still be out on our run defense. 6 yards per carry. The top two are a result of a team needing to pass to catch up.

Offense was efficient. Understatement of the year!

Fred Jackson is a warrior. I remember one first down he got totally on his own, carrying a couple of defenders with him.

It's nice to have a reliable Tight End. Really opens up our red zone offense.

A funny side note...Rian Lindell out tackled Kyle Williams. Still, Lindell wasn't occupying multiple blockers.

Edited by buffaloaggie

1) To the civilians, firefighters and of course my brother police officers who lost their lives 10 years ago: I am glad that your time in heaven is pleasant. You are heroes, and I wish I could haved saved you. I constantly think about you; you are the best thing that ever happened to New York.

2) Andy Levitre threw key blocks today. He was always decent on passing plays but today, he put himself in position and took out his man time after time on FJ runs. So yes, I said before and am saying after this "benching" stint that he is our best blocker. If you disagree, please take me to task.

3) Barnett is twice as good as Poz. That's all I have to say about this issue but do feel free to comment.

4) I was lucky enough to have watched the game with two of my daughters today. My oldest (an ivy league and law school grad) made a striking comment. She said that she learned more about football today that any day of her life. She btw is 27. She said that they actually did things that I have been screaming at them to do for as long as she could remember.

5) If I had to pick just one player who won us this game, it would be Marcel Dareus. He won't show up on the stat sheets but he simply kicked ass. He stretched out runs and pushed back the pocket on pass plays. This, in his first NFL game. Marcel Dareus, at least today, was the exact football player that this team has always needed. OMG it was great to watch!!!!!!!!!!

6) I promised someone named Dan (a TBD lurker) from Buffalo that I would give him a shout out. Here it is. Good game!

7) Sorry, Pears is a huge concern. I won't go into it, but I saw what I saw and it wasn't good.

8) Badolbilz told us about Chandler. His hands were as soft as cotton and he looks as if he can block and get open. Please take this post as an overdue shoutout. Badol, you forgot more about football than most of us will ever know. Sorry to single you out, but please come back to TBD. The problems you had here can be worked out, and this board will never be as good without you my friend. Not ever.

9) I was impressed by Byrd. He looks to be in better condition than last season, and he was getting physical in the first half.

10) OK, more about Dareus....KELSAY was making plays. Spenser Johnson looked like a good football player. This doesn't happen in a vacuum. Marcel was occupying blockers. I am just so psyched about this kid!!!

11) Fitz? He was every bit as good as he had to be. He is a QB who is capable of winning football games (same with Stevie Johnson). He and Fitz are partners. I love that s--t.

12) Chan Gailey really had a set of b%^^s today. I would have been more conservative but his calls worked. And btw, I personally guarantee that Brad Smith will win us at least 1 football game this season. I am thinking 2.

13) We are in first place, an undefeated team! Yeah,us, the Buffalo Bills! I absolutely love it! So world....excuse the f*&k out of me.

Great job Bill. I am thrilled that Dareus is already making a positive difference for this team. Keep these guys healthy and I think we have a decent chance to make the playoffs this season.

Didn't get to see the game as we never get Bills coverage down here, but watched it incessantly online and been looking everywhere for as many highlights as I can find. Here are some of my impressions of the game to add to a list I largely agree with...

1. Bills did a very good job containing the top rushing team in the league from last year, something you would not expect from the 2010's worst rush defense. This was the offseason #1 priority and the preliminary results were very good. Allowed only 108 total rushing yards. The Chiefs did manage 6.0 yards per attempt however, so not exactly perfect, and clearly early in the 3rd quarter the Chiefs had to largely abandon the run. Still, Charles got most of his meager 56 yards rushing on two plays, one 22 and one 14 yard rushes in the first half, both on the Chiefs best drives of the 1st half. Besides those plays, he was largely contained, and eventually made irrelevant by the play of the offense. Certainly Charles is the most potent weapon the Chiefs have, so it was a great job to neutralize him.

2. The Chiefs had seemed like one of the model teams to look at in trying to turn around a franchise after last years playoff run, but to go on the road and pound them is a great statement that the Bills are ready to do the same. The Bills played with enthusiasm and guts and showed the league and themselves what they are capable of. Hell, if we were in the AFC West we'd already be in great shape!

3. We did seem to get some breaks early on, like the fumble on the opening kickoff and the reversed touchdown. But good teams make you pay when things go their way, and the Bills pounced on those early chances and made the Chiefs play catch-up the rest of the game. Very nice to see that. Also, the Chiefs took a little momentum into halftime, holding us to FGs and scoring a TD of their own and then stopped the Bills first drive in the 2nd half. But the defense came up with a couple of tackles for a loss on the ensuing KC possession and the Bills offense took the good field position they got and converted a nice TD drive with it. Very impressive, nicely aggressive and the kind of killer mentality the Bills haven't shown in awhile. That all but wrapped the game up, as the chiefs struggle to score quickly.

Its hard to imagine a better opening game. The Bills still have alot of questions to answer, but it would seem that they should bring a lot of confidence into their home opener next week against a team flying across the country on a short week, so it's hard not to start thinking about 2-0. Great job Bills!

Good post.

Just to add to what you've written: my impression was that the Bills defense was very good at stopping runs to the inside, but was sometimes vulnerable to runs to the outside. That's a significant improvement over last year, when they were vulnerable to both inside and outside runs!

I also thought that the Chiefs had a hard time getting a running game going with any consistency. My impression (reinforced by your post) was that they'd get a few long runs here and there, only to have most of their running plays be three yards or shorter. That led to a lot of stalled drives.

Enjoy these posts, but I will add to the parade that did not unserstand the Pears comment.

Just watched the shorcuts version of the game..he has the two negative plays..but outside of that I did not see one play that made me worried...he even had a bit of nasty in him.

Edit: Favorite play of the game -Chandler's second touchdown. Buffalo had 3rd and goal inside the five. Consecutive false start and delay of game penalties push it out beyond the 10. &@*%$*%^$@ great, here comes a field goal. Ryan and Scott had other ideas though. Fantastic.

I was wondering if this was going to be mentioned. Previous Bills teams would have been kicking a FG. While watching the game I was thinking how much I hate Red Zone FG's, and then the prefect read and a TD? :blink: What's going on here?

That one series of plays has changed my outlook considerably about this team.

As I have not followed the Bills as closely as I once did, I did not realize Badolbilz had left. That is a another huge hit to TSW.

Posters do come and go for various reasons. I get this.

Badolbilz is a special case imo. I know him well, and state openly that he knows more about football than any person I have ever met. My friends and I would write down questions and run them by him at tailgates every year. Seriously, if you ask him for a guard who would last until round 4, he knows. It's almost surreal. And, he isn't smug; he is totally unimposing. Just a great guy.

The mods here are as good as it gets. They do the work and maintain this site. They do a great job and we owe them, and of course SDS. I mean this. This site is SO good that I am fully convinced that media figures borrow from us. I have seen it.

In any event Badol, if you are lurking, please tell us what you think of Batten and the rookie RB. These guys could make us a lot deeper.

The mods here are as good as it gets. They do the work and maintain this site. They do a great job and we owe them, and of course SDS. I mean this. This site is SO good that I am fully convinced that media figures borrow from us. I have seen it.

Hear, Hear! When I compare this site to some other fan boards (*cough*ChiefsPlanet*cough*) they're not in the same universe.

One thing I havent seen anyone post on, please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Bryan Scott did a real nice job on two or three open field tackles on Charles and McCluster. If he doesnt make those tackles this game has a totally different feel to it.