Buddy on Shredd and Ragan a few minutes ago

eball

And until anyone can provide even one iota of proof this is the case, I'll view your scenario with equal (if not greater) skepticism.

You are obviously free to post and to believe whatever you want about why Lee Evans was traded. Myself, I believe that there were numerous factors, at least four of them, that all played major roles in the decision.

You MUST, however, understand that there is ZERO CHANCE that anyone associated with the Bills is going to come out publicly and say that Lee Evans was a salary dump. They are just not going to do it, whether it was true or not. So asking for proof of such a thing, IMO, is foolish.

You may be right. But "proof" of salary dumps of a player like Lee Evans is never going to happen.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are obviously free to post and to believe whatever you want about why Lee Evans was traded. Myself, I believe that there were numerous factors, at least four of them, that all played major roles in the decision.

You MUST, however, understand that there is ZERO CHANCE that anyone associated with the Bills is going to come out publicly and say that Lee Evans was a salary dump. They are just not going to do it, whether it was true or not. So asking for proof of such a thing, IMO, is foolish.

You may be right. But "proof" of salary dumps of a player like Lee Evans is never going to happen.

thats not true, they could come right out and say that they let him go because his salary did not justify his production on the field, therefore they dealt him to get rid of that salary. but if they came out and said that, would it really matter? Fans would still have the same attitutde and bitterness towards the front office.

Instead nix came out and said exactly what almost all Bills fans have said for the last little while abotu Evans, He is a "one trick pony" deep threat who did not want/like to run crossing routes and go over the middle and has not produced over the last few years here in Buffalo, so instead of keeping him on the roster, they moved him for something to a team that was looking for a player to do what he does best.

WHY, WHY, WHY would Nix decide to trade Evans for any reason other than the Bills DONT need him. Nix is a man in his 60's who is here because he wants to WIN. Thats it. Getting rid of Evans gives the Bills a better chance to win. If Nix didn't think the Bills were committed to winning then he wouldn't be wasting his time here.

Because he was told bo Overdorf to choose a high-priced player to get rid of, and he chose Evans as the most expendable. And now he's giving multiple, transparent reasons "justifying" it. Kind-of like cutting Hangartner - a guard - because he "can't play guard".

Really...after eleven years of questionable personnel decisions...it's that hard to believe that the personnel people aren't making all the personnel decisions?

... Myself, I believe that there were numerous factors, at least four of them, that all played major roles in the decision. ...

I agree that there were numerous factors. But in looking at the way the offense evolved last year and from what little I can gather from preseason this year, it appears Gailey demands a lot of interchangeability from his receivers and I can see how Evans could be deemed expendable. The fact that cutting him saves them money is just icing on the cake for them. So while his salary was a factor, I don't think it was the major factor.

GO BILLS!!!

After seeing more on the topic I do agree. Also I would like to formally apologize to you. I don't typically get involved in those types of strings. I was literally just passing through for the first time in awhile and was attempting to correct what I thought was a misconception without having all of the information. It was wrong of me to do so and I should have gone about in a more professional manner.

Just to clarify because I know it will come up here. I never said it was not about money. It is always a consideration, but not the only one in this case. I am not defending the organization. I would certainly like to see Lee Evans still in a Bills uniform. My attempt to clarify was about the process not the rationale.

Have to go, but I will try to check back later. Once again John Wawrow, my apologies.

Cool. Apology accepted. Thanks for the note.

jw

Reading this thread makes it pretty clear that people will believe anything Buddy says. "We tricked everybody by playing our OT at DT so we could hide him." "Evans sucks and it has nothing to do with his salary." "We need a backup guard and the best way to do that is to cut your backup center, and it has nothing to do with the guys salary. In the NFL, you don't really need a backup center because centers never get hurt."

All of that is met with:"Wow. Finally a straight shooter."

Everybody better go look for a pot of gold because Buddy says he just shot a rainbow out his butt.

I think you're misreading/misquoting quite a few responses here.

No one said Evans sucks. Buddy didn't even say that. People have suggested, not only Buddy, that Evans doesn't fit the current offensive system very well.

They tried out Jasper on the defensive side because that's his weaker side, to work him out, to see what he can do, with the idea that they'd likely develop him for the offensive side.

Hangman, I don't really understand, myself.

But hey, if you want to go off on various conspiracy theories, go for it.

Thanks. Interesting stuff. Interesting that he says they're much better at OL despite the fact that they have no depth. Also interesting that he claims to be a bad negotiator and doesn't deal much with agents. Mixed thoughts.

I also love how Bills fans are convinced that Gailey and Nix are straight shooters and will believe anything they say as a result. I just saw a few posts that made the argument that if Lee Evans was a salary dump Nix would have come out and confirmed it. Huh!? Why? Why would he do that? The only rumor that is floating around out there that Nix would validate would be that Lee Evans requested a trade, bc that would take the heat off of him. No GM is going to come out and say that a player like Lee was a salary dump, especially when the team that they run is far below the salary cap and is nowhere near the playoffs.

For the last time, if it truly was a salary dump, they would have traded, or at least cut him, before paying him that $1.1M bonus. Since they waited until after the bonus was paid, in order to get something in trade, it wasn't a salary dump, or at least, the main motive wasn't a salary dump (just a side benefit, not that saving $2.6M is anything to write home about in the NFL landscape).

Fixed, and not strong enough, according to the GM.

You might disagree, but if the coaches want OLs that can play multiple positions, players that can't are expendable.

ummm, he played guard -- and started -- at Carolina in each of the two seasons before arriving in Buffalo.

what's notable is he was never tried at guard during most -- if not all -- of training camp.

jw

ummm, he played guard -- and started -- at Carolina in each of the two seasons before arriving in Buffalo.

what's notable is he was never tried at guard during most -- if not all -- of training camp.

jw

umm, I'd be one of the last guys to call you out JW, but my understanding is that he played center and some OT in college. When he was drafted by the Panthers, he backed up Jeff Mitchell (center) and played ST, eventually replacing Justin Hartwig (also a center) when he went down to injury. When was this guard duty you speak of?

thats not true, they could come right out and say that they let him go because his salary did not justify his production on the field, therefore they dealt him to get rid of that salary. but if they came out and said that, would it really matter? Fans would still have the same attitutde and bitterness towards the front office.

Instead nix came out and said exactly what almost all Bills fans have said for the last little while abotu Evans, He is a "one trick pony" deep threat who did not want/like to run crossing routes and go over the middle and has not produced over the last few years here in Buffalo, so instead of keeping him on the roster, they moved him for something to a team that was looking for a player to do what he does best.

For a team that's very close to the salary cap, yes, management could publicly justify jettisoning a player because his salary didn't match his on-field production. But for a 4-12 team with $26 million in cap space - bottom 5 in payroll - you can't bring up salary savings as a reason to dump a good player. That's tantamount to saying that you're not trying to win. You have to promote the idea that either the player is not good, or that he can't fit your system. The Bills have gone partially with option 2, but also with some bizarre stuff about making room for young receivers, which apparently means only Donald Jones? Because Roosevelt was cut, Parrish isn't young, and Nelson hasn't seen any change in PT or role (still only playing slot in multi-WR sets) since the trade.

umm, I'd be one of the last guys to call you out JW, but my understanding is that he played center and some OT in college. When he was drafted by the Panthers, he backed up Jeff Mitchell (center) and played ST, eventually replacing Justin Hartwig (also a center) when he went down to injury. When was this guard duty you speak of?

See description for 2007 and 2008 seasons:

http://www.panthers.com/team/roster/geoff-hangartner/22ae8c15-52dd-4e91-8a01-345c6818704a/

http://www.panthers.com/team/roster/geoff-hangartner/22ae8c15-52dd-4e91-8a01-345c6818704a/

:oops:

jw

See description for 2007 and 2008 seasons:

http://www.panthers.com/team/roster/geoff-hangartner/22ae8c15-52dd-4e91-8a01-345c6818704a/'>http://www.panthers.com/team/roster/geoff-hangartner/22ae8c15-52dd-4e91-8a01-345c6818704a/

:oops:

ok, my bad, I sit corrected :worthy: