Buddy on Shredd and Ragan a few minutes ago

eball

Wasting a whole pre-season worth of potential practice is now known as gamesmanship? He's a 7th rounder so it's a bonus if he makes it anyway but geez, isn't it possible that they simply discovered he stinks at DT and they're giving him a long shot chance at OT? Does everything have to be an indication of our genius?

I haven't been a big Jasper fan and was surprised by all that positivity. But if you are correct, why would he be motivated to make up trying to hide his skills from the league? That would be too over the top just to save face on a late 7th rounder IMO. He said they knew Jasper would take awhile so it makes sense to buy time.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad Lee Evans hasn't been that guy for the past two seasons, then he might have been worth keeping, eh? :rolleyes:

A 40 catch/4 TD deep threat is no threat at all and not doing any good as a decoy, much less as an imaginary #1 WR.

Evans has been mailing it in for three years now - I don't doubt he may pick up his game for a season with the Ravens, but he wasn't doing it for the Bills, and he didn't deserve to start over the younger guys.

He'll be a much better fit for Baltimore, he'll have a good season.. and people here will throw their arms up in disgust haha. The thing is, he fits better with Flacco and their offense, than ours. He may have a 80 catch season for them, but if he had stayed here another 40 catch season. Who knows.

Quite the contrary. Around here, it's accepted as a foregone conclusion the Bills can't walk and chew gum at the same time. While that may have been true for the better part of the decade, there's been "a new sheriff in town" for the past 20 months and there are signs everyone isn't a complete dipschit. Maybe the Bills tried to put one over on the rest of the league, maybe they didn't. But it's an interesting discussion.

So if the old sheriff played an OL at DL to "fool" 31 teams, he would have been a dipschit wasting time, but the new sheriff put one over.

Good one.

Look, I get it that a 7th rounder usually won't make it. I don't get why we have to be so sensitive about it and start making excuses and convincing ourselves we are geniuses. I would like to see him make it as an OL. I seriously doubt they wasted weeks and weeks of camp so that no one discovered him. He is under contract. If he is so great you don't have to risk losing him at all.

Final Roster -- "this year was tougher than last year"

First of all, thanx for the effort in posting this transcript. Much appreciated.

Secondly, I found the above sentence quite telling. On the one hand it is implying there was a lot of dead wood to be cleared last year and on the other it tells me that the roster is now getting to be where Nix wants it to be.

I support you in your support of the current FO. There are quite a few on this board who just love to be miserable. I am guilty of being down on the organization occasionally but largely want to give this FO time to show results. e.g. Several people complain that the front D and O were too small before to play in Buffalo conditions. Well, Nix and Whaley concur and have made the front 7 of the D significantly bigger. He says as much and yet the same posters completely ignore that statement and pick and choose the ones they dont agree with while proceeding to bash Nix for that. Frustrating to see the unjustified negativity. If all else fails, point to the lost decade and justify their miserable view of the franchise !

There has to be continuous improvement else they are not doing their jobs and to that end this season will be quite interesting. If our D climbs into the mid rankings and O is in the low 20s, I would say that the rebuild is going well. Because, they retooled on the D side and it would show that the choices made were correct.

So if the old sheriff played an OL at DL to "fool" 31 teams, he would have been a dipschit wasting time, but the new sheriff put one over.

I'm not sure who is suggesting that...

We're talking about a developmental 7th round pick. A project player that they wanted to try out and see if he develops. He was never going to make the team at either DT or OT. I don't understand why you're so angry. Every team has a cheap late round/undrafted guy they try to develop, sometimes that takes a bit of hiding so they can keep him around, sometimes not. The fact is, no one really knows what Jasper looks like on the offensive side of the ball, so no one will "steal" him from us to put them on their 53 man roster. It's a pretty safe move, whether it was "clever" or just something that happened, is pretty meaningless.

Good one.

Look, I get it that a 7th rounder usually won't make it. I don't get why we have to be so sensitive about it and start making excuses and convincing ourselves we are geniuses. I would like to see him make it as an OL. I seriously doubt they wasted weeks and weeks of camp so that no one discovered him. He is under contract. If he is so great you don't have to risk losing him at all.

I missed it. What are you complaining about again ? A 7th rounder and the FO's comments regarding why he is on the PS ?

I haven't been a big Jasper fan and was surprised by all that positivity. But if you are correct, why would he be motivated to make up trying to hide his skills from the league? That would be too over the top just to save face on a late 7th rounder IMO. He said they knew Jasper would take awhile so it makes sense to buy time.

So he is going to get better at OT by practicing at DT?

If Buddy said he was flapping his arms, would you look in the sky?

I hope Jasper makes it. I really do. But to take everything Buddy said in that interview at face value? OK I guess. If you guys will allow me I will continue to think that Lee Evans is a good receiver.

I'm not sure who is suggesting that...

We're talking about a developmental 7th round pick. A project player that they wanted to try out and see if he develops. He was never going to make the team at either DT or OT. I don't understand why you're so angry. Every team has a cheap late round/undrafted guy they try to develop, sometimes that takes a bit of hiding so they can keep him around, sometimes not. The fact is, no one really knows what Jasper looks like on the offensive side of the ball, so no one will "steal" him from us to put them on their 53 man roster. It's a pretty safe move, whether it was "clever" or just something that happened, is pretty meaningless.

I am under the impression a few of the reader/posters in this thread do not understand that a team cannot sign a player off of another team's practice squad onto their own practice squad. Thus, the fact that the Bills have Jasper there does mean something - only the Bills can have him on their practice squad until we release him.

[

Now, if another team wants to get him, they have to sign him onto their 53 man roster and have a space open (via injury or an out and out release). "Hiding" Jasper makes some sense if they were really impressed with him in practice to the point where they thought another team would lure him onto their practice squad ahead of them. Having said that, it is more likely Nix was kidding at least a bit - they looked at Jasper at NT/DT and found him wanting (I thought he had tremendous PUSH but looked like he was in slow motion when a runner got near him. He may be fast but he didn't seem (to me) to have football "instincts" so unless a runner ran right into him, he was out of the play. As an offensive lineman that problem can me largely eliminated (with lots of practice) since the offense KNOWS where the play is going and a lineman is assigned a specific player to block. The learning part is reacting to stunts and the like.

He can't be any dumber than Jason Peters (a 7 wonderlic) - in fact I have heard nothing negative about his intelligence to date. This suggest the guy CAN learn at least as well as Jason did. A perfect example of a Project Player.

my 2 cents

I missed it. What are you complaining about again ? A 7th rounder and the FO's comments regarding why he is on the PS ?

You did miss it at least three times when I said a 7th rounder shouldn't cause a lot of stress.

I was more discussing the FO feeling the need to make up mularkey about why a 7th rounder is on the PS. Why not just say "we are running an experiment; maybe it will work; maybe it won't"? I suppose saying "we are smarter than everyone and we tricked them by practicing a 7th rounder out of position and trading away a very good receiver for nothing and not having a backup center because we really really hope our starting center doesn't get hurt, and it has nothing to do with salary aren't we smart?" is more realistic to you.

I don't get why we have to be so sensitive about it and start making excuses and convincing ourselves we are geniuses.

Just maybe, Buddy is old and wise enough not to make excuses to look like a genius. You must agree he understands that he'll only look like a genius if the team wins. That would mean he would focus more on picking and developing players than conjuring up crazy scenarios. Man this Pollyanna-berry punch is tasty!

You did miss it at least three times when I said a 7th rounder shouldn't cause a lot of stress.

I was more discussing the FO feeling the need to make up mularkey about why a 7th rounder is on the PS. Why not just say "we are running an experiment; maybe it will work; maybe it won't"? I suppose saying "we are smarter than everyone and we tricked them by practicing a 7th rounder out of position and trading away a very good receiver for nothing and not having a backup center because we really really hope our starting center doesn't get hurt, and it has nothing to do with salary aren't we smart?" is more realistic to you.

You say it shouldnt cause stress but are bent on discussing one comment from the FO about him. Granted, the approach "play him on D so we can sneakily save him for the O' sounds silly but dissecting that comment is even more so. If they said we played Brad Smith at RB and will start the season with him as the starting QB, there would be much to quibble over. Anyway, I have said all I have to say.

I thought he had tremendous PUSH but looked like he was in slow motion when a runner got near him. He may be fast but he didn't seem (to me) to have football "instincts" so unless a runner ran right into him, he was out of the play.

I saw the same thing - Jasper battled at the line but didn't seem to have an instinct to finish the play as a defender/tackler.

He _was_ playing OL the last two years in college, after all - so the fact that he's not a polished tackler shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone.

Edited by BobChalmers

If Buddy said he was flapping his arms, would you look in the sky?

Lol, I might. Buddy is a good salesman and I can definitely be naive. But I'm pretty skeptical too.

I really want to believe Buddy is a better talent evaluator than salesman. If so we're on to something

Man you have gotten so serious, why? You used to be fun.

I saw the same thing - Jasper battled at the line but didn't seem to have an instinct to finish the play as a defender/tackler.

He _was_ playing OL the last two years in college, after all - so the fact that he's not a polished tackler shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone.

Wasn't he playing BOTH sides of the ball his last two years? Your comment suggests he was not playing d-line the last two years. Is that correct?

Who says we have no deep threat? I think there will be plenty of plays going over the top of the defense. Remember Jerry Rice? He was a continuous deep threat but his track time was far from what you'd call elite speed.

I remember Jerry Rice quite well. It's insulting to compare the best WR of all time to the likes of Donald Jones, David Nelson, Roscoe Parrish, and Marcus Easley.

Wasn't he playing BOTH sides of the ball his last two years? Your comment suggests he was not playing d-line the last two years. Is that correct?

He played mostly D-line at his first school, but played only OG at Bethel.