Buddy on Shredd and Ragan a few minutes ago

eball

They could have just played him at OT in preseason & kept him on the 53 man roster. Since they no longer have the right of first refusal if another team wants to sign him off the practice squad, what did they gain other than avoiding him from getting valuable O-line experience if they think he's got a future? Was having some other bum as the 53rd player worth it if he really has potential?

What's to stop another team from listening to Buddy's comments & signing the guy off the practice squad. Sometimes these football guys need to stop thinking every roster spot is some covert plot they have to pull off and just keep the best 53.

Who is going to sign him to their active roster when they haven't even seen him play OT in the NFL? And if someone does try, the Bills can elevate him to the 53-man roster then.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks very much for op and all who pitched in with links and such! Buddy and Chan are very good speakers and i love to hear them have at it. Especially q/a stuff. They both have excellent character and i respect them as well as i can as an outsider.

He did a great job on this interview, but you guys really have been tipping Nix's special VeryBeary kool aid with juice concentrate.

Regardless. We are going to reinjure M. Cassels ribs,not too bad i hope, and by the 2nd 1/2.. Gaither will be rethinking his career move after being beaten mostly. Also i expect McGee gets an int.

\ Bigger and Badder. I like that theme Nixster mentioned more than once. Sometimes i just love the old goat.

Go Bills

Who is going to sign him to their active roster when they haven't even seen him play OT in the NFL? And if someone does try, the Bills can elevate him to the 53-man roster then.

My point is, as a practice squad player the Bills have no guarantee that they can elevate him because he has the final say, not the Bills (see Brian Brohm chooses Buffalo over GB). Why would you play games with a player's development by playing him out of position in preseason just to save a roster spot when you have as much risk of losing him today as you had the second you put him on waivers?

The whole idea of doing this clandestine stuff is absurd because as long as he's on the practice squad he can up & leave any time he wants to & Buddy can't do a thing about it.

Lee Evans trade -- "we think in the long run it makes us better" "not a guy to run a lot of crossing routes"

Overdorf -- "does a great job at what he does" "handles the contracts, draws up the contracts" "i don't like to negotiate with agents and Overdorf is great at that" "he'll come to me and ask if we want to go higher, is this too much, etc."

"sometimes i'll talk to an agent but not much" "i'm too black and white, not a good negotiator"

This sort of kills the absurd theory put forth by Sully and others that Overdorf traded Evans without Nix or Gailey knowing about it.

My point is, as a practice squad player the Bills have no guarantee that they can elevate him because he has the final say, not the Bills (see Brian Brohm chooses Buffalo over GB). Why would you play games with a player's development by playing him out of position in preseason just to save a roster spot when you have as much risk of losing him today as you had the second you put him on waivers?

The whole idea of doing this clandestine stuff is absurd because as long as he's on the practice squad he can up & leave any time he wants to & Buddy can't do a thing about it.

Certainly Jasper is not bound by any league rule to the Bills. He could be signed away for sure.

But I'm gonna say that in light of Jasper's improbably saga, that if given the choice between comparable contracts, he would stay with the Bills.

He might become jaded and business-like someday but right now you can see he's like a kid in the candy store and he's probably feeling a lot of love for the Bills organization. Again that could change some day.

Regardless, at this point, I doubt that Jasper's anything approaching a coveted player right now for lots of reasons. Hope I'm right on this.

He came and out said very matter-of-factly that they (and Jasper) knew that he was better on offense. They deliberately played him on the DL during preseason to throw off the other teams when they intended to stash him on the PS and develop him as an OL.

well played

Although, the quote is now out there. Buddy wanted to publicize that playing Jasper at DT in preseason with the intention of moving him to OT was a strategic move. Let's hope that move doesn't cost them Jasper. If I was another GM who was intrigued by Jasper's athletic ability, that sound byte might be the final tipping point in pulling the trigger and signing Jasper.

Edited by Nostradamus

Although, the quote is now out there. Buddy wanted to publicize that playing Jasper at DT in preseason with the intention of moving him to OT was a strategic move. Let's hope that move doesn't cost them Jasper. If I was another GM who was intrigued by Jasper's athletic ability, that sound byte might be the final tipping point in pulling the trigger and signing Jasper.

Again, I think that scenario is unlikely... outbidding the Bills for Jasper, sight unseen?

With the goodwill that the Bills courtship and drafting of Jasper engenders, I think that another team would have to put out a pretty silly offer to get him and what would be the basis for that offer? His videotape from Bethel?

Anyways, thanks for posting and transcribing, eball.

This sort of kills the absurd theory put forth by Sully and others that Overdorf traded Evans without Nix or Gailey knowing about it.

:lol: Yeah, right. Because it's not like Overdork can fire Nix if he doesn't tow the company line.

Enjoy your Kool-Aid. Pay no mind to the bitter almond after-taste.

I used to somewhat trust Buddy Nix in interviews. I like that he sounds like a straight shooter. And I like him as a GM. I think he is doing all he can.

But I think that Jasper thing is complete and utter bullschitt.

>>>>>Q about ever being told by Ralph not to spend -- "don't know where stuff like that comes from" "it's the other way around" "i talk him out of [going after high dollar guys]" "that's happened more than once"<<<<<

Do you believe the above?

>>>>>OL -- "nobody will believe this, but we're much better in the OL, and better than people think we are" "depth is not good" "we're good in the middle" "only one backup T and he's a rookie, and that's tough" "[we hope] young will be backup at RT, hairston at LT"<<<<<

Or this?

Edited by Bill from NYC

Again, I think that scenario is unlikely... outbidding the Bills for Jasper, sight unseen?

With the goodwill that the Bills courtship and drafting of Jasper engenders, I think that another team would have to put out a pretty silly offer to get him and what would be the basis for that offer? His videotape from Bethel?

Anyways, thanks for posting and transcribing, eball.

Polian thought he had Martin Mayhew stashed away when Washington signed him on Plan B & Sam Wyche had a verbal commitment from Christie when he signed with the Bills about 1 minute after he was eligible to leave Tampa Bay.

The bottom line is unless you have a player under contract to the 53 man roster, you never know when someone is going to swoop in and sign him.

Whatever the Bills saw when they drafted him, 31 other teams saw the same thing. Playing him out of position in preseason was stupid and accomplished nothing.

How many teams do you think would sign him to their 53 player roster knowing he's not ready to play?

>>>>>Q about ever being told by Ralph not to spend -- "don't know where stuff like that comes from" "it's the other way around" "i talk him out of [going after high dollar guys]" "that's happened more than once"<<<<<

Some of it was laughable. The Bills are in full defense mode. It was probably Kelsay that Overdork wanted to pay more and Nix said no, 6 mil is enough. The problem really isn't that the Bills are cheap, it's more that they almost always get it wrong. They were wrong on the overpaying of Dockery and Walker and Kelsay as they are on the underpaying or not offering of players. That's why Overdork is so bad. Because he's not a football guy and does not know. I'm.sure Buddy has his say as did Jauron and Brandon and Marv and Jihn Guy. But Overdorf and Littman wield too much control and power. Nix has to say certain stuff. But IMO he is no longer being as forthright as he can be, he is in damage control.

WHOA!!!!

Go back and listen to his comments on Jasper. Nix basically stated that they played games with Jasper during the pre-season so that he wouldn't be too visible. I think he just cat and moused the league into not thinking of this guy as an OL prospect.

Maybe they were also doing this with Aaron Maybin. Maybe they will re-sign him tomorrow and he will do his best Derrick Thomas imitation in KC on Sunday. They sure fooled the rest of the league with this. Especially the Jets.

Wow. Maybin on the DL and Jasper on the OL. Super Bowl here we come.

I've got some respect for Gailey because he is pretty open and honest about the status of the team. He just coaches for a bad franchise that doesn't get him the tools. But to give kudos to NIx for another happy talk interview reeks of absurdity. This is the same guy who, at his introductory PC, made fun of the Raiders coaching job and said the team wasn't that far away heading into the 2010 off-season. He followed that up at Gailey's intro PC by claiming they got 35 calls a day for the HC job and said 80% of the reports on the HC search were wrong.

On Sunday all the talk ends. It's time to put up or shut-up, which BN did quite well last season when things hit the skids by Week 3.

Some of it was laughable. The Bills are in full defense mode. It was probably Kelsay that Overdork wanted to pay more and Nix said no, 6 mil is enough. The problem really isn't that the Bills are cheap, it's more that they almost always get it wrong. They were wrong on the overpaying of Dockery and Walker and Kelsay as they are on the underpaying or not offering of players. That's why Overdork is so bad. Because he's not a football guy and does not know. I'm.sure Buddy has his say as did Jauron and Brandon and Marv and Jihn Guy. But Overdorf and Littman wield too much control and power. Nix has to say certain stuff. But IMO he is no longer being as forthright as he can be, he is in damage control.

Do you have a link or any presentable proof of this statement or are you just blowing smoke out your butt?

>>>>>OL -- "nobody will believe this, but we're much better in the OL, and better than people think we are" "depth is not good" "we're good in the middle" "only one backup T and he's a rookie, and that's tough" "[we hope] young will be backup at RT, hairston at LT"<<<<<

Or this?

So basically they put their QBs' lives on the line to fool the rest of the league about the diamond in the rough OL prospect?