Buddy on Shredd and Ragan a few minutes ago

eball

Do you have a link or any presentable proof of this statement or are you just blowing smoke out your butt?

Well, Nix did claim that they played a 7th round pick out of position on purpose because they didn't want anyone to grab him because he is so great at the other position that they wouldn't play him at it because well um they um well didn't want to get too good too fast. How's that for forthright?

So basically they put their QBs' lives on the line to fool the rest of the league about the diamond in the rough OL prospect?

Not really because when the real season starts Fitz will be playing safety and Shawn Nelson will be brought back to play QB. See how they tricked everyone and protected their QB at the same time?

Edited by ieatcrayonz

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"feel good about where we are"

"bigger, stronger, faster -- how many more wins that means we'll see"

Q about Bills being low on contracts -- "said 100 times, moves are made w/ info we have at the time to make the team better"

"never about money, never about where a player was drafted" "only way I'll keep my job is if we win games -- not staying around because 'Buddy saved us a few bucks'"

Q about ever being told by Ralph not to spend -- "don't know where stuff like that comes from" "it's the other way around" "i talk him out of [going after high dollar guys]" "that's happened more than once"

Lee Evans trade -- "we think in the long run it makes us better" "not a guy to run a lot of crossing routes"

Trying to be "ascending on every thing we do -- arrow always pointing up."

Donald Jones -- "very strong, can get off the line and beat the press, feel he makes us better now"

Hangartner cut -- "lacks strength to anchor at the point" "if we have a backup C, he also has to be able to backup at G"

Overdorf -- "does a great job at what he does" "handles the contracts, draws up the contracts" "i don't like to negotiate with agents and Overdorf is great at that" "he'll come to me and ask if we want to go higher, is this too much, etc."

"sometimes i'll talk to an agent but not much" "i'm too black and white, not a good negotiator"

Sam Young -- "i graded him out of college" "all of our guys were familiar with him" "huge man, very smart guy, brings an attitude we need" "nasty" "much better run blocker than pass blocker" "not a great foot athlete" "he'll help our running game and we'll play him at RT"

Tyson Clabo -- "i think it was more to jack things up with atlanta rather than he wanted to be here"

Final Roster -- "this year was tougher than last year"

Roosevelt -- "people are sometimes more interested in where he's from than how he plays" "we like naaman, but it came down to numbers"

OL -- "nobody will believe this, but we're much better in the OL, and better than people think we are" "depth is not good" "we're good in the middle" "only one backup T and he's a rookie, and that's tough" "[we hope] young will be backup at RT, hairston at LT"

Lee Smith -- "runs an attitude too; got a little nasty in him"

Jasper -- [re-told the scouting story] "genetic freak" "can't get him down to 350" "gonna take him a little time, but he'll be a good player" "probably a better offensive player" "you don't want him to show up too good in preseason"

Last season -- "got knocked around too much" "we were undersized" "got to be big enough to knock people around and i think we accomplished that"

Tried to type fast. Some very interesting comments.

THANKS!!! Great synopsis!!! :worthy:

I've got some respect for Gailey because he is pretty open and honest about the status of the team. He just coaches for a bad franchise that doesn't get him the tools. But to give kudos to NIx for another happy talk interview reeks of absurdity. This is the same guy who, at his introductory PC, made fun of the Raiders coaching job and said the team wasn't that far away heading into the 2010 off-season. He followed that up at Gailey's intro PC by claiming they got 35 calls a day for the HC job and said 80% of the reports on the HC search were wrong.

On Sunday all the talk ends. It's time to put up or shut-up, which BN did quite well last season when things hit the skids by Week 3.

The Raiders job was then, and still is, worse than the Bills job. So where exactly was Buddy wrong?

It's interesting that given two choices: one, hearsay that Ralph has kept the Bills from spending money because he'd rather hoard his millions; and two, that perhaps Ralph just hasn't had the right football people making the decisions until now, you jump so quickly to the former.

Buddy said "we're not that far away" one 16-game schedule ago. You're really holding him to that before the Bills have played game one of season two?

Absolutely miserable, you are.

Edited by eball

The Raiders job was then, and still is, worse than the Bills job. So where exactly was Buddy wrong?

It's interesting that given two choices: one, hearsay that Ralph has kept the Bills from spending money because he'd rather hoard his millions; and two, that perhaps Ralph just hasn't had the right football people making the decisions until now, you jump so quickly to the former.

Buddy said "we're not that far away" one 16-game schedule ago. You're really holding him to that before the Bills have played game one of season two?

Absolutely miserable, you are.

All GM's make fun of other team's publicly. Right. That's how we know they care when they run down other franchises.

And I'm not talking about RW's strategy in this thread. We're talking about the credibility of a man who throws out whoppers and expects people to keep on believing them. Playing Jasper as a DT to keep other team from seeing him as an OL? You've got to be kidding.

Go ahead and drop the misery factor, whatever. Very predictable. When you've successfully averaged about 6 wins a season for more than a decade, well, some people aren't happy. Check the ST sales lately? 55k in 08-09 and now probably beneath 40k just 2 years later? Yeah, there are quite a few fans not buying into the talk anymore because the play on the field doesn't live up to it.

Well, Nix did claim that they played a 7th round pick out of position on purpose because they didn't want anyone to grab him because he is so great at the other position that they wouldn't play him at it because well um they um well didn't want to get too good too fast. How's that for forthright?

To answer your rhetorical question, it's not. He's either fooling the other teams, or us. With a little spiked koolaid, I could see it as bragging about pulling off a known GM trick. I agree with San Jose he's not worried about being outbid sight unseen.

My theory is that this whole thing started because of something that Nix said to Wawrow "off the record," which is why Wawrow wrote his article in such a circumspect manner. This was immediately apparent to OBD, and I'm guessing Nix got some flack for it and it was suggested to him that he make it right. I agree with Kelly - they're in full damage-control mode right now.

The player-related commentary is quite believable, however, and it's refreshing. If Nix's superiors would just get out of the way and let him do his job, we might win some games for a chance. One can dream...

All GM's make fun of other team's publicly. Right. That's how we know they care when they run down other franchises.

And I'm not talking about RW's strategy in this thread. We're talking about the credibility of a man who throws out whoppers and expects people to keep on believing them. Playing Jasper as a DT to keep other team from seeing him as an OL? You've got to be kidding.

Go ahead and drop the misery factor, whatever. Very predictable. When you've successfully averaged about 6 wins a season for more than a decade, well, some people aren't happy. Check the ST sales lately? 55k in 08-09 and now probably beneath 40k just 2 years later? Yeah, there are quite a few fans not buying into the talk anymore because the play on the field doesn't live up to it.

I don't give a crap whether the GM says what's PC. The bottom line is that Buddy is a straight shooter and hasn't, that I've seen, said anything proven later to be untrue or dishonest. Miserable grouches like you keep harping on the last decade and aren't willing to give this new regime even a second season before claiming they're liars and frauds.

Buffalo didn't do anything "flashy" this offseason, and the "typical" fan only cares about big name free agents or front-page trades. So yes, when the team hasn't sniffed the playoffs in 12 years it's no surprise ST sales are down.

With only a single-digit number of players left on the roster from 2007, it's clear significant efforts have been made to change the composition and culture of the organization. It's a shame you're so goddamned impatient.

As for the Jasper thing -- I believe Buddy was just having fun with the hosts, but once again I find it curious that NOBODY believes perhaps Buddy & co. might actually be capable of a little gamesmanship. By not showcasing Jasper at OT during the preseason, and then signing him to the PS where he can practice fully with the team, the Bills essentially gain additional OT depth without having to cut another position player on the 53-man roster. If injuries happen during the season or Jasper shows he's ready, he can be activated. God forbid the Bills actually have some shrewd football people.

Do you really believe Buddy Nix when he says "Money has never been mentioned since I have been here. I know what the cap is and we can spend it all."

Kelly, do YOU believe Ralph is so concerned about what everyone thinks that he (or his henchmen) have specifically instructed Buddy Nix to publicly state (i.e., lie) that there are no monetary or personnel restrictions placed upon Nix?

That, to me, is the bigger question. To not believe Buddy is to believe that (a) Ralph HAS imposed restrictions and meddles in player decisions, and (b) he is telling Buddy to lie to the media and fans.

I dunno, I'll believe the good-natured straight shooter who doesn't "need" to have the Bills GM job and could be just as happy scouting players for some other franchise. I've never seen or heard Buddy come across as exasperated or frustrated, as if his hands are tied. I think he's enjoying trying to build a team the way he believes it should be done. Why would Whaley join the organization if it's top-driven? Surely he'd have known that to be the case by now.

If that makes me naive, so be it. In this interview Buddy answered some of the questions I was most curious about, and I'm satisfied with the responses:

(1) Overdorf doesn't make the call on trades or contracts, but he is the team's designated negotiator.

(2) Buddy has free reign to go after players he thinks will improve the team.

(3) Lee Evans was a poor fit in the offense (one-dimensional) and having him on the field took away from things Gailey wants to do.

(4) Hangartner is -- as many of us saw -- ill-suited to play G and you don't keep a guy on the roster solely to play backup C.

Kelly, do YOU believe Ralph is so concerned about what everyone thinks that he (or his henchmen) have specifically instructed Buddy Nix to publicly state (i.e., lie) that there are no monetary or personnel restrictions placed upon Nix?

That, to me, is the bigger question. To not believe Buddy is to believe that (a) Ralph HAS imposed restrictions and meddles in player decisions, and (b) he is telling Buddy to lie to the media and fans.

I dunno, I'll believe the good-natured straight shooter who doesn't "need" to have the Bills GM job and could be just as happy scouting players for some other franchise. I've never seen or heard Buddy come across as exasperated or frustrated, as if his hands are tied. I think he's enjoying trying to build a team the way he believes it should be done. Why would Whaley join the organization if it's top-driven? Surely he'd have known that to be the case by now.

If that makes me naive, so be it. In this interview Buddy answered some of the questions I was most curious about, and I'm satisfied with the responses:

(1) Overdorf doesn't make the call on trades or contracts, but he is the team's designated negotiator.

(2) Buddy has free reign to go after players he thinks will improve the team.

(3) Lee Evans was a poor fit in the offense (one-dimensional) and having him on the field took away from things Gailey wants to do.

(4) Hangartner is -- as many of us saw -- ill-suited to play G and you don't keep a guy on the roster solely to play backup C.

I took away the same things. Face it, you're not going to get through to some people.