Bills release cuts

Kelly the Dog

I feel like I should already know this, but I don't so I will ask:

I get that Wood is a better younger center, but who is going to be our backup center if wood goes down or if one of our guards go down and we need to move wood back to guard?

Was is a salary issue? Too expensive of a contract to pay our backup center?

Any insight would be appreciated.

I get that Wood is a better younger center, but who is going to be our backup center if wood goes down or if one of our guards go down and we need to move wood back to guard?

Andre Gurode :D

Hangartner was awful in preseason, bottom line. Levitre took snaps at center in preseason games and I assume he is their backup center currently.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/08/20/levitre-to-get-center-reps/

I assume they'll also look to pickup another Olineman since they've only 2 backups on the roster in Hairston and Reinhart.

Edited by Carey Bender

You do realize Chan was his OC in Kansas City, right?

In 2008 Thigpen had a pretty good year running the spread offense in the NFL under Gailey's direction.

The prior relationship carries some weight in NFL circles.

Yes...we all know this...but the truth is Levi Brown blew his doors off as Joe 6 Pack stated. I don't care what you did years ago...what have ya done for me lately? He looked absolutely horrible in preseason! We all better pray Fitz stays healthy, cause if Thigpen becomes our guy, we're in a heap of trouble!

The interview I read with Gailey indicated that some of the competitions were very close and that some of the decisions were going to be hard to make. My guess.......Roosevelt and Coleman might not have graded out high enough on special teams?

Gaily also said Roosevelt was a "great player" I guess ruvell Martin must be "a once in a lifetime player"

salary dump - plain and simple

on a team devoid of talent on the OL- another mindless costy cutting move that leaves the team without a backup C.

at least sign some scrub that can play C before cutting your only other option.

Guess im happy with Martin on the team, another former Amsterdam admiral onboard. Little known fact; Martin was key on that team in helping win their first ever World Bowl after a 10 year final drought. Coincidence? Think not! Super Bowl here we come. In reality, coaches must have tons of film on him as hè was Gibran his goto guy plus there is plenty of nfl film on him combine that with practise and viola.

I'll be a lot happier if Roosevelt ends up on the practice squad. (It's a mistake if they let him go.)

I wish Shawn Nelson could have stayed healthy. I thought he showed something when we first drafted him. I get why they let him go, however; injuries and if you have a weak O-line, you need blocking TEs.

I like the fact that they want to get bigger on the O-line but I still would have kept Hangartner. If you want to get rid of him, wait until next off-season after you address the depth at that position.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Buddy bring in Igor Olshansky for a try-out.

Yes...we all know this...but the truth is Levi Brown blew his doors off as Joe 6 Pack stated. I don't care what you did years ago...what have ya done for me lately? He looked absolutely horrible in preseason! We all better pray Fitz stays healthy, cause if Thigpen becomes our guy, we're in a heap of trouble!

now that depends what your ultimate objective

playing Thigpen will get you a lot closer to Andrew Luck than a real QB would

The only way cutting Hangartner makes sense on a team SO thin at offensive line is if the bean counters are making the cuts - saves a lot of money, but certainly doesn't help the team, so it probably was Overdorf's decision, not Nix's or Gailey's.

The only way cutting Hangartner makes sense on a team SO thin at offensive line is if the bean counters are making the cuts - saves a lot of money, but certainly doesn't help the team, so it probably was Overdorf's decision, not Nix's or Gailey's.

It's part of their master plan; keep a thin O-line, which means Fitz will likely be injured by mid-season, and then they can use that as the excuse for not offering him a contract with starter salary, but will offer a lesser amount to keep him around to mentor the QB pick next year.

The Bills have a history of cutting backups who are making starter money. That probably was a factor in Hangartner's departure. Who is the backup center? I have no clue. I suspect they will pick up a cheaper center off the wires.

The Bills have a history of cutting backups who are making starter money. That probably was a factor in Hangartner's departure. Who is the backup center? I have no clue. I suspect they will pick up a cheaper center off the wires.

Mike McGlynn from the Eagles? G/C 6'4" 315lbs Definetly a mean physical type guy. Not the most athletic lineman ever which was his issue in Philly.

9/3

Geoff Hangartner © cut.

Buster Davis (WR) cut.

Mansfield Wrotto (G) cut.

Jon Corto (S) cut.

Felton Huggins (WR) cut.

Reggie Corner (CB) cut.

Lionel Dotson (DE) cut.

Jehuu Caulcrick (RB) cut.

Bruce Hall (RB) Placed on IR.

Shawn Nelson (TE) cut.

Jason Watkins (G) cut.

Ed Wang (T) cut.

Levi Brown (QB) cut.

Jammie Kirlew (LB) cut.

Antonio Coleman (LB) cut.

Naaman Roosevelt (WR) cut.

Mike Caussin (TE) cut.

Cordaro Howard (T) cut.

Michael Jasper (DT) cut.

Danny Aiken © cut.

Kamar Aiken (WR) cut.

Sidney Glover (S) cut.

Brandon Hicks (LB) cut.

T.J. Langley (DE) cut.

Doyle Miller (CB) cut.

Joshua Nesbitt (QB) cut.

Michael Switzer (G) cut.

Makes no sense.

Who gives a crap if he looked bad in preseaon? Tom Brady looked pedestrian in the preseason, should he be cut?

What has Levi Brown ever done to deserve someone's loyalty?

The fact he "blew his doors off" in mop up time in some meaningless preseason games against 3rd teamers carries little weight.

I'm completely fine with Thigpen as my backup. He knows the system, is athletic and has experience.

Edited by SteamRoller67

Makes no sense.

Who gives a crap if he looked bad in preseaon? Tom Brady looked pedestrian in the preseaoson, should he be cut?

The fact he "blew his doors off" in mop up time in some meaningless preseason games against 3rd teamers carries little weight.

I'm completely fine with Thigpen as my backup. He knows the system, is athletic and has experience.

You forget unproductive...while playing second stringers...but no matter...We continue to make sow's ears out of silk purses.

You forget unproductive...while playing second stringers...but no matter...We continue to make sow's ears out of silk purses.

Again, why judge a guy with 5 years NFL experience and 12 starts under his belt from the preseason?

And what the hell is sow's ear and silk purses? That's just plain weird...

Some ex-Bills...

James Hardy (WR) cut.

Anthony Hargrove (DE) cut.

Xavier Omon (RB) cut.

Pierson Prioleau (S) cut.

Alvin Bowen (LB) cut.

Ellis Lankster (CB) cut.

Pierson Prioleau was a Greg Williams favorite and followed him from Buffalo to New Orleans...Done ok to ahve had a 10 year career.

Of course they cut him to save money. Ask yourselves honestly, would he have been cut if his salary was near the backups we kept. I say no way. THis cut does not make the Bills a better football team. It weakened them. It shows once again, that winning, is not the number one priority at one Bills drive.

Makes no sense.

Who gives a crap if he looked bad in preseaon? Tom Brady looked pedestrian in the preseason, should he be cut?

I agree, and I think this is why the decision was made, but in Levi's defense, I bet it was a hard choice for Chan and Nix. Levi did indeed outplay Tyler, BUT tyler does know the system, is familiar with Gailey, and probably reads defenses much better than the younger Brown.

Tim-

I agree, and I think this is why the decision was made, but in Levi's defense, I bet it was a hard choice for Chan and Nix. Levi did indeed outplay Tyler, BUT tyler does know the system, is familiar with Gailey, and probably reads defenses much better than the younger Brown.

Tim-

Yet against the same scrubs, Brown moved the offense more effectively than Thigpen and had less INTs.

The reaction to Hangartner getting cut is interesting. Last year there were calls for him to be benched or released. Now that he has been there is outrage.

I'm not outraged. In fact, I think it was obvious that he was gone when they didn't give him a chance with the 1st string.

The problem is it is reminiscent of the Langston Walker move. There are some differences, but the team looks pretty weak at OL to start with and an injury or three is virtually a lock to happen. What then? Sure, they don't want to pay a backup more money, but good teams know you have to have depth. The Packers had depth last year and were able to play through injuries. What happens if Levitre and Wood get injured? How long does Fitz stay alive behind Reinhart, Brown, and Urbik?

PS: And if Fitz gets banged up, who is comfortable with Thigpen starting? :sick:

it just doesnt make good football sense to me what is going in with the offensive line. Last years O line was confusing and i find it even more difficult to comprehend now. I have actually been considering some of the far fetched schemes posted up here.

I hope the nix gailey duo know something that we dont and they have some high cards hidden up their sleeves!

Edited by 3rdand12

Bull ****. Everyone knows it's the one-armed man making the calls.