Vikings release McKinnie

Welborn9

L Network Vikings correspondent Ari Wolfe suggested live from Mankato Tuesday that LT Bryant McKinnie could be released in training camp.

Wolfe was only speculating, but the sentiment was echoed by NFL Network's Jason La Canfora and is undoubtedly becoming a possibility. By all accounts, McKinnie is severely out of shape and believed to weigh even more than the 360 pounds he ballooned to by last season's end. (He's listed at 335.) McKinnie is due a $4.9 million salary plus $750,000 in bonuses, the latter of which are being withheld with McKinnie on the the active/NFI list. Monday's signing of Charlie Johnson appears to be a direct indication of the Vikings' concern.

Damn the weight...we should get him and stck him at RT :thumbsup:

L Network Vikings correspondent Ari Wolfe suggested live from Mankato Tuesday that LT Bryant McKinnie could be released in training camp.

Wolfe was only speculating, but the sentiment was echoed by NFL Network's Jason La Canfora and is undoubtedly becoming a possibility. By all accounts, McKinnie is severely out of shape and believed to weigh even more than the 360 pounds he ballooned to by last season's end. (He's listed at 335.) McKinnie is due a $4.9 million salary plus $750,000 in bonuses, the latter of which are being withheld with McKinnie on the the active/NFI list. Monday's signing of Charlie Johnson appears to be a direct indication of the Vikings' concern.

Well atleast bring him in...360 is a bit on the big side :D

Why, so him and Jasper can Sumo Wrestle on the sidelines?

Hmmm.

32 years old and severely out of shape.

Just browsing his wikipedia article and 4 of the headlines are...

"Boat Cruise Scandal"

"Pro Bowl Incident"

"2005 Gas Station Incident"

"2008 Night Club Incident"

That's a ton of red flags.

Hmmm.

"Boat Cruise Scandal"

"Pro Bowl Incident"

Yeah but he was a #1 pick, and his Madden score was pretty high once, and I've heard of him.

PTR

Hmmm.

"Boat Cruise Scandal"

"Pro Bowl Incident"

All that, and the Vikings still got the better OT over us that year.

Hmmm.

"Boat Cruise Scandal"

"Pro Bowl Incident"

perfect Raider.

I remember the draft, it was between him and Mike Williams. And of course, we chose the wrong guy again.

Let me know when McKinnie's bust goes to Canton.

Seriously the 2002 Draft was full of busts. Very bad year for 1st Rd picks.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

PTR

Maybe so, but McKinnie was FAR from a bust. He never reached the Pace/Ogden level but he was a probowl LT, and a major part of any success that the Vikings had, including Peterson.

With all of your criticism of McKinnie, will you be waving pom-poms if Nix does decide to sign him?

Maybe so, but McKinnie was FAR from a bust. He never reached the Pace/Ogden level but he was a probowl LT, and a major part of any success that the Vikings had, including Peterson.

With all of your criticism of McKinnie, will you be waving pom-poms if Nix does decide to sign him?

So he was less of a piece of crap? Whoopee.

PTR

Ya think? How about McKinnie, Henderson, L. Jones. Shockey, and C. Grant? Any of them are better than virtually any player we drafted since 2002.

Really EVERY other player drafted that year was better than Mike Williams, but we are debating total bust versus awful, sucks, and barely passable.

PTR

Really EVERY other player drafted that year was better than Mike Williams, but we are debating total bust versus awful, sucks, and barely passable.

PTR

But this is revisionist history wrt McKinnie. He was nowhere near as bad as you portray him to be. He was a very good LT for many seasons. So good, the vikes re-signed him in 2006 to a 7 year/48.5 mil. contract. This included a 13.5 mil. signing bonus.

You can continue to berate him and/or call him a bust, but it just isn't so. Please name me the players we have drafted since 2002 that are as good as McKinnie (not counting the 2011 draft). It shouldn't take too long.

If the Bills picked up McKinnie, most of you would think it was a huge mistake by the Vikings and a great pick-up by the Bills, because he'll look so good in practices...blocking Maybin.

Maybin is gone already, he's a boy amongst men.

I remember the draft, it was between him and Mike Williams. And of course, we chose the wrong guy again.

DUDE!!! I was pissed when we pick Mike Williams over him. If the draft day talk was correct...little known fact McKinnie never gave up a sack in college. At least this guy is still in the league and in the conversation. Might be way to late to right an old wrong though.

So he was less of a piece of crap? Whoopee.

PTR

Dude STOP IT. You're just pissn' off all these guys who KNEW Mckinney was the right pick over Williams. It is damaging to their psyche! :rolleyes:

But this is revisionist history wrt McKinnie. He was nowhere near as bad as you portray him to be. He was a very good LT for many seasons. So good, the vikes re-signed him in 2006 to a 7 year/48.5 mil. contract. This included a 13.5 mil. signing bonus.

You can continue to berate him and/or call him a bust, but it just isn't so. Please name me the players we have drafted since 2002 that are as good as McKinnie (not counting the 2011 draft). It shouldn't take too long.

But I have to admit it is fun to watch them attempt to protect their position. Keep grabbing for those straws boys!

Edited by BuffaloBob

PTR

Yeah, except McKinnie wasn't a bust, and we again chose stupidly despite needing McKinnie's OT position.

Thank You for this post. The homer alert was sounded and you came to the rescue.

If the Bills had picked up prior to this thread, the same people lauding McKinnie would be the ones talking about how is old, out of shape and over the hill and how it is another awful decision.

Not me. If he can pass medical tests, I would be all for taking a chance on him. If he is healthy, he is far better than any OT on our team.

Let me be the first to admit that if we signed this guy I would be thrilled and LOVE THE MOVE! Its such a joke that everyone on this board thinks every player in the NFL sucks besides the one's on our team. Its such a joke. Vernon Carey and Bryant McKinnie are better than ANY, thats right ANY offensive lineman we have had this decade. I have news for everyone. The reason we have "heard of them", and the reason "they are ranked highly in madden" is because they are "good". Here is a concept. Good football players. Bring in good football players, and maybe you will have a good team. You guys can build your dream team with Manny Wrotto, Ed Wang, and Demetrius Bell, but call me crazy. I'd take Carey and McKinnie. Its so funny how everyone would like to pass on signings like this when these guys have combined for 214 starts out of 224 possible games for offensive lines that have been FAR FAR BETTER than ours for 10 years now. That is consistency, and reliability IMO something that this organization knows nothing about right now.

C'mon Buddy! Prove you are serious about improving the Bills and sign this old, overweight OT because we heard of him!

PTR

We should have drafted him when we had the chance ... make up for past mistakes Buddy ... bring him in and put him at guard ... Levitre needs to sit back another season ... we need to find every lineman being cut this year because if they have years of experience it is better than putting in a young player because what have young players shown ... NOTHING ... in fact, cut all the rookies and second year players ... drafts are for fools ... Free Agency is what makes you the king of the castle ... sign em up and cut those wasted rookies ...

Not me. If he can pass medical tests, I would be all for taking a chance on him. If he is healthy, he is far better than any OT on our team.

What part of he got cut for not being healthy got missed here?

Amituanai, Conan

Huntley, Rod

Isom, Byron

Johnson, Charlie

Kooistra, Scott

Love, DeMarcus

The Vikings feel these guys would all do a better job.

Yes clearly Demarcus Love is a better player than Bryant McKinnie. He should be removed from the league after being a pro bowl caliber left tackle for 8 seasons and not missing 1 game due to injury the whole time. Obviously in horrific shape and can never see the field again. Relax guys, he came into camp a little heavy. A 10 year vet thats never missed a start can do that every now and then.

What part of he got cut for not being healthy got missed here?

Amituanai, Conan

Huntley, Rod

Isom, Byron

Johnson, Charlie

Kooistra, Scott

Love, DeMarcus

The Vikings feel these guys would all do a better job.

Well, at least they can make Jerry Sullivan happy. That's worth a lot in my book :flirt:

I wouldn't be against it, because that would mean that Nix, Whaley and Gailey REALLY thought he could help the team. I just see extremely little chance they will, however. They have made a concerted effort to change the culture of the Bills, and have signed and drafted (almost exclusively) tough, hungry, leaders who give 100% on the field.

McKinnie is none of those.

Yes clearly Demarcus Love is a better player than Bryant McKinnie. He should be removed from the league after being a pro bowl caliber left tackle for 8 seasons and not missing 1 game due to injury the whole time. Obviously in horrific shape and can never see the field again. Relax guys, he came into camp a little heavy. A 10 year vet thats never missed a start can do that every now and then.

What leads you to believe that a ten year vet can do that? Obviously, not with the Vikings.

This also seems to imply that because the guy is older and over 30 that him being out of shape and unable to perform is somehow better than a younger guy being out of shape. It's much more difficult to keep your body performing post 30.

He may see the field again, but the question is, is it worth it for him to be there?

You've already had one NFL team decide that Demarcus Love has higher value than McKinney.