Brad Smith...Update...signs with Buffalo

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why in the hell is this guy needed? Seriously? He's a toy, and toy's are usually effective on teams that are already good. Why, seriously?

This, to me, reeks of needing to try and sell tickets to make us think we are getting a playmaker that is way overhyped. I don't get it.

Sorry, I just don't get this organization. I'd rather have a top notch lineman than Spiller AND Smith. But hey, what do I know......I have the same amount of playoff wins in my armchair position as this organization has in it's last 11 years.

Simple, put him AND CJ on the field and the opposing defense is in trouble... one of them will get the ball but which one...

What's not to like...? He'll eat up a QB spot and provide the versatility of a WR/KR and as a QB that can play in a Wildcat formation, or out of a pro set with the ability to move the ball with his legs... What's not to like...? So now as a D you have to watch for Freddy, CJ, Roscoe, Lee, Smith and Stevie J... now get me a sweet TE and a RT!

ALL OF THEM!!! :worthy:

This guy is an athlete through and through. I hope to hell we actually plan to make use of him.

Yeah, it was annoying at the end of last season when, in response to separate questions regarding Evans, Parrish and Spiller, Chan said something like "I didn't do a good job of finding ways to get him the ball." Was he spread too thin with head coach duties to devote enuff time to OC? I hope the hired OC, Curtis Modkins, is a fast learner and can take on more of the role this season.

I hope they spent the time of the lockout with no players around getting Modkins up to speed.

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

Simple, put him AND CJ on the field and the opposing defense is in trouble... one of them will get the ball but which one...

I'm sure Rex Ryan and Belicheck are shaking in their boots over how to stop CJ Spiller and Brad Smith. Look out now. You put them behind a good offenisve line, then maybe you have something.

But yeah, I don't think the league is worried about CJ Spiller at this point. At all.

Edited by Lv-Bills

Another fact: We can't get to the QB, our OT's are below average, AND we can't stop the run. SO FIX THE PROBLEMS. We aren't weak on gimmicks. I don't not like Brad Smith. He's just not needed, at this time, on this team.

if it was an either/or situation between Brad Smith and an OL, I would agree. a 4yr/$15M contract is not massive considering our available cap space. We can still sign Clabo and Burnett. Never underestimate the impact of having multiple impact players. If Smith displaces a perennial underachiever like Parrish, I am okay with that idea. Again, acquiring Smith does not negate the possibility of getting OL or LB help.

As an example, just imagine Smith and Spiller on the field in a wildcat formation. What does an opposing D do ?

I'm sure Brad Smith can be utilized in a few unorthodox packages and might possibly contribute more here than he did in NY. But this morning I found a Jolly Rancher in the cushion of my carseat; I was a little more excited than when I heard we landed Brad Smith (At a cost of $3.75mil/yr no less).

EXACTLY. Smith would be fantastic with New England. EXACTLY my point. He is effective when he's on a good team and can be their gimmick. Gimmick doesn't work if you already suck, because defenses aren't afraid of anyone else on your team, so it's kind of hard for gimmicks to find space.

I don't get it. Smith would be excellent for New England. New Orleans. Indy maybe. Green Bay. Buffalo? Not yet. We have so many holes to fill, we don't need gimmicks, or even guys like CJ Spiller.......yet.

Wood and Levitre sound so much more competent when you add a guy like Clabo with them. GET CLABO, then get a guy like this.......maybe.

ahhhh so if claybo decides not to put his name on any dotted lines for a day or two, we should ignore all other positions. i see. we are still in the hunt, and maybe a guy like claybo would like to see us add more talent....

Yeah, it was annoying at the end of last season when, in response to separate questions regarding Evans, Parrish and Spiller, Chan said something like "I didn't do a good job of finding ways to get him the ball." Was he spread too thin with head coach duties to devote enuff time to OC? I hope the hired OC, Curtis Modkins, is a fast learner and can take on more of the role this season.

I hope they spent the time of the lockout with no players around getting Modkins up to speed.

I think they did a pretty good job with Parrish last year before he got hurt though. He was making some great plays. I thought Gailey was excellent on offense with what he had to work with.

I don't mind this move. As long as it doesn't hurt our chances of getting Clabo or improving our front seven if totally fine with it. Obivously Nix/Gailey saw a dangerous playmaker that could fit the offense they will be running this year. And the way the rest of the AFC East looks this year, we're going to need as many weapons we can get.

Really? I must be missing all the GOOD free agent splashes we've hit on over the years.

Some have worked out, but most have turned to complete dogsh--...mostly because the Bills have sucked and tend to bring good players down with them. Clabo is not much different than Dockery, Burnett and Barnett are like Fletcher, swap Jenkins for Stroud. Spikes, Mitchell... Some of these guys panned out better than others, but they were all in demand during free agency.

Edited by MattyT

WTF WTF WTF OMG OMG OMG....

I wonder how Buddy is gonna spin this one.

WE LIKE ERIK PEARS AT ROT. LOL

WERE GONNA START DANNY BATTEN AT MLB OR OLD MAN DAVIS ALONG WITH SHEP.. LOL

hOW BOUT THAT WR CORE WE NEED SOME MORE WEAPONS,, HOW BOUT THAT BRAD SMITH... FORGET TE, OR ROT OR MLB LOL..

we are a freakn JOKKKEEEEE

Don't we already have guys like this?

I welcome talent when we get it, but with out an O-Line, I don't really see the point. :/

I'm also quite puzzled by this signing. What does Smith do at WR that Parrish doesn't? With Evans, Johnson, Parrish, and maybe Easley, how much time will Smith see at WR? And I'm guessing he's now the full-time KR/PR, but meh. We already had some pretty good return men on the roster, and the new rules limit the impact of good KO returners anyway. And as for the "he'll fill the 3rd QB position" guys, I'm sorry, but what? You can't think that's the primary reason we signed him, right? We're talking what, 5 plays a game with Brad Smith at QB? Maybe? You don't give a guy a 4-year, $15mil deal for 5 gadget plays a game. There has to be some broader plan. It'll be interesting to see what Gailey says about utilizing him when they hold the press conference. I'll hazard to guess that Gailey is planning on rolling 4 or 5 wide as much as he can next year.

I guess it's always good to get a good player, but it's hard for me to get excited about another speedy skill position guy when we already have plenty on the roster. I don't think adding another one to the mix will make any impact, but hopefully I'm wrong. But excited about Smith or not, I think we can all agree that for the offense to really get better, we need better O-line and QB play.

ahhhh so if claybo decides not to put his name on any dotted lines for a day or two, we should ignore all other positions. i see. we are still in the hunt, and maybe a guy like claybo would like to see us add more talent....

No, didn't say that. Just don't get guys that we don't need. Pretty simple.

Maybe Clabo would like to see more talent. I can accept that point. Maybe, maybe not. I don't know that Brad Smith would be more talent. But maybe.

The Bills NEED a guy like Clabo. Every bit of him.....every aspect......they NEED Clabo. They don't need Colon, because he isn't a known commodity because of his injury. They don't need journeyman or average Olineman, because they already have those. They NEED Clabo. Proven, in his prime, nastiness. They should be going all out to sign a guy like that. Period.

Edited by Lv-Bills

WTF WTF WTF OMG OMG OMG....

I wonder how Buddy is gonna spin this one.

WE LIKE ERIK PEARS AT ROT. LOL

WERE GONNA START DANNY BATTEN AT MLB OR OLD MAN DAVIS ALONG WITH SHEP.. LOL

hOW BOUT THAT WR CORE WE NEED SOME MORE WEAPONS,, HOW BOUT THAT BRAD SMITH... FORGET TE, OR ROT OR MLB LOL..

we are a freakn JOKKKEEEEE

:wallbash:

I'm also quite puzzled by this signing. What does Smith do at WR that Parrish doesn't? With Evans, Johnson, Parrish, and maybe Easley, how much time will Smith see at WR? And I'm guessing he's now the full-time KR/PR, but meh. We already had some pretty good return men on the roster, and the new rules limit the impact of good KO returners anyway. And as for the "he'll fill the 3rd QB position" guys, I'm sorry, but what? You can't think that's the primary reason we signed him, right? We're talking what, 5 plays a game with Brad Smith at QB? Maybe? You don't give a guy a 4-year, $15mil deal for 5 gadget plays a game. There has to be some broader plan. It'll be interesting to see what Gailey says about utilizing him when they hold the press conference. I'll hazard to guess that Gailey is planning on rolling 4 or 5 wide as much as he can next year.

I guess it's always good to get a good player, but it's hard for me to get excited about another speedy skill position guy when we already have plenty on the roster. I don't think adding another one to the mix will make any impact, but hopefully I'm wrong. But excited about Smith or not, I think we can all agree that for the offense to really get better, we need better O-line and QB play.

THANK YOU JESUS for someone else understanding this.

The old age at OBD has finally cost us! Whaley was locked out of his office and didn't have a key, so he began to shout, "we need a locksmith, a locksmith", and Buddy thought he said Brad Smith. So he signed him.<_<

Clown on me all you like, but I would feel better if I heard that this was the story of how it all went down, because there is no logical explanation for signing B. Smith. NONE!!! PERIOD!!!! That money can be better utilized elsewhere and I love the receivers and returners we already have, and so should they.