Brad Smith...Update...signs with Buffalo

Not gonna read through 8 pages of thread. I can't believe anyone has a problem with this. Smith is a playmaker. Period. He allows the Bills to custom-design packages, groupings and formations, which opposing teams need to account for and game plan against. The Bills need guys like that and oh by the way, it happens to be Chan's specialty. And the signing has nothing to do with Roscoe. Completely different players. Roscoe doesn't return kickoffs or run out of the Wildcat, because he would get destroyed.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills sign WR/KR Brad Smith (4 years, $15 million): A+ Grade

I absolutely love this signing. Brad Smith is a dynamic return man who will allow the Bills to do some different things on offense. Buffalo is getting Smith really cheap, essentially stealing him from a hated divisional rival.

From walterfootball.com

Bills sign WR/KR Brad Smith (4 years, $15 million): A+ Grade

I absolutely love this signing. Brad Smith is a dynamic return man who will allow the Bills to do some different things on offense. Buffalo is getting Smith really cheap, essentially stealing him from a hated divisional rival.

From walterfootball.com

Because we don't have enough versatile players on this roster that can return kicks?

Brad Smith is an awesome player but I don't understand this at all

... Smith is a playmaker. Period. He allows the Bills to custom-design packages, groupings and formations, which opposing teams need to account for and game plan against. The Bills need guys like that and oh by the way, it happens to be Chan's specialty. And the signing has nothing to do with Roscoe. Completely different players. Roscoe doesn't return kickoffs or run out of the Wildcat, because he would get destroyed.

I'm not seeing it. Last year Smith had 4 (four) catches for 44 yards and ran the ball 38 times for 299 yards. That is worth almost $4M/year????

I don't care if he can return kicks, the Bills have more than enough returners and NOBODY will be returning kicks with the change in the

kickoff position - there will be lots of touchbacks.

Because we don't have enough versatile players on this roster that can return kicks?

Brad Smith is an awesome player but I don't understand this at all

Exactly. This is unreal stupid. Parrish has just as many return TD's as Smith in his career. 3. That would also mean that McGee trumps both of them, and McKelvin, if he doesn't have 3 yet, was on his way.

Don't get this at all. He's a toy. You have to be a solid football team first before you acquire toys.

I'm not seeing it. Last year Smith had 4 (four) catches for 44 yards and ran the ball 38 times for 299 yards. That is worth almost $4M/year????

I don't care if he can return kicks, the Bills have more than enough returners and NOBODY will be returning kicks with the change in the

:thumbsup:

Have you seen him play? The Jets did not utilize him. His size and speed creates real matchup problems. It's not your money. Give Chan a chance to use him.

Brad Smith and Roscoe are completely different players and play completely different positions, excluding a few plays a game that Smith may play in the slot.

Smith is a KR, Roscoe is a PR.

Smith is a gunner on ST and sometimes rushes the kicker, Roscoe doesn't play on those ST.

Smith is a back-up QB, Roscoe is not.

Smith runs out of the Wildcat as the primary ballcarrier, option QB and passer, Roscoe does not.

Smith will line up sometimes as RB, Roscoe does not.

Gailey will devise packages for Smith to play a Slash style QB, Roscoe will not.

Roscoe is also in the last year of his contract and may be leaving next year.

Smith will be on the field 20-25 plays a game, counting ST. He can be a very valuable guy and I'm positive that Chan Gailey is thrilled to have him.

It in no way changes our need to get better on the OL though, or fill our biggest need, which is ILB.

So what you are saying here is that Smith is probably on the field as much or less than Roscoe for 4 million per year? I'd rather take this money and make sure we get Clabo.

Have you seen him play? The Jets did not utilize him. His size and speed creates real matchup problems. It's not your money. Give Chan a chance to use him.

They didn't utilize him? The Jets made Smith what he is. Pretty much a gimmick, backup player that is a good athlete not able to actually win any position on the field as a starter.

Edited by Lv-Bills

Its a great signing, he's more than just a returner. He gives us another dimension for the offense that we've never had before. Something other teams will actually have to plan for, that's something they have never had to do before.

I'm guessing we'll be the firs team in NFL history to use 7 WR packages? Just putting 3 offensive lineman and QB. Lining Steve Johnson, Lee Evans, Marcus Easley, Roscoe Parrish, Brad Smith, CJ Spiller, David Nelson out wide.

Sounds good to me.

I don't think that's legal.

Its a great signing, he's more than just a returner. He gives us another dimension for the offense that we've never had before. Something other teams will actually have to plan for, that's something they have never had to do before.

Like what? He can throw a pass from a two back set MAYBE once a game plus a wildcat play or two? What else does he give someone other than special teams returns in which this team is already loaded with?

Unless they changed the rules, Levi Brown is not eligible for the practice squad. He was on the 53-man roster for 13 games last year, giving him one year of NFL experience.

We can probably all agree that Levi is toast.

People, people, people. The new #3 QB rule makes this a fantastic move. The Bills get the benefit of an added player on gamedays. They can keep an extra player at a another position active now, because their "emergency" QB is also a guy who is going to play on ST and in certain offensive packages.

I don't understand the whining about this. We just got a guy that is a talented player and adds another dimension to our team. Not only that, there are changes to special teams and the 3rd gameday QB that may have influenced this. But still, people are whining.

I guess people think that if you sign one guy, you aren't trying to get others at other positions of need.

I don't understand the whining about this. We just got a guy that is a talented player and adds another dimension to our team. Not only that, there are changes to special teams and the 3rd gameday QB that may have influenced this. But still, people are whining.

I guess people think that if you sign one guy, you aren't trying to get others at other positions of need.

my sentiments exactly . . this is a good signing, especially sense we took him from the Jets

People, people, people. The new #3 QB rule makes this a fantastic move. The Bills get the benefit of an added player on gamedays. They can keep an extra player at a another position active now, because their "emergency" QB is also a guy who is going to play on ST and in certain offensive packages.

Hey look, it's someone with more than two brain cells.

BTW, thanks to this thread I can add Lv-Bills to my ignore list. W00T!

Hey look, it's someone with more than two brain cells.

BTW, thanks to this thread I can add Lv-Bills to my ignore list. W00T!

LOL. Breaks my heart! Give me your login, and I'll hit the button for you.

I feel what you are saying here, but I don't think that the team with the most versatile #3 QB is the key to making the playoffs. Can he stop the run? Run Block? Pass Block? Lead a defense from the LB spot? That's what I want. If we get Clabo though, I like the Smith signing a tad more.

This still makes him a guy that isn't good enough to start at any position. He hasn't even been better on returns than most of our own guys.

I get it. Just not impressed. do you really need to be great at #3 QB?

Edited by Lv-Bills