Brad Smith...Update...signs with Buffalo

And I don't mind the signing, it's just not what we NEED. I'm sick of getting things we don't need when we actually need so much elsewhere. That's what pisses me off about it.

I'd rather overpay for Zach Miller and Tyson Clabo with Smith's money than have Smith on this team. Plain and simple. I'd offer Clabo and Miller both 1.5 or 2 million more per year than other teams with Smith's money and that would certainly have a bigger impact, than having Smith on this team. Thats my problem with this.

And yes, I would overpay for guys like Miller and Clabo at this point, simple because we have to at this point, and we have the money to do it. We have to break out of this somehow, and probably overpaying is the only way we do it.

It's not Smith the player I don't like, it's the premise of the resources he takes away from us to go get legit pieces we need elsewhere on this roster, before a guy like Smith can help.

Those things are not mutually exclusive. The Bills are doing just that. They are offering Clabo 1-2 million more a year than the Falcons are. I would love Zach Miller, too, but we are not going to sign Clabo to a huge contract and sign Miller to a huge contract. Miller is going to make a mint.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Complementary role players who add to the overall talent mix are a plus--and it will be exciting to see what Chan can devise to get this guy on the field.

Too many people here are looking for the FA "splash" and thinking this precludes any other additions. I'm thinking they're targeting several more positions, as well as some of the recent cuts by other teams.

+1

And I don't mind the signing, it's just not what we NEED. I'm sick of getting things we don't need when we actually need so much elsewhere. That's what pisses me off about it.

I'd rather overpay for Zach Miller and Tyson Clabo with Smith's money than have Smith on this team. Plain and simple. I'd offer Clabo and Miller both 1.5 or 2 million more per year than other teams with Smith's money and that would certainly have a bigger impact, than having Smith on this team. Thats my problem with this.

And yes, I would overpay for guys like Miller and Clabo at this point, simple because we have to at this point, and we have the money to do it. We have to break out of this somehow, and probably overpaying is the only way we do it.

It's not Smith the player I don't like, it's the premise of the resources he takes away from us to go get legit pieces we need elsewhere on this roster, before a guy like Smith can help.

You actually think the Smith signing is handcuffing us in other negotiations?

We are the reported leaders in the clubhouse for Clabo and it's safe to assume we've ALREADY overpaid for him to even consider us.

As good as Miller is and as much as I wouldn't mind having him, if he doesn't fit Chan's plans, then so be it.

Either way, our ability to sign either one has nothing to do with what we've committed to Brad Smith.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd rather overpay for Zach Miller and Tyson Clabo

Gailey's offense doesn't rely heavily on the TE. The whole Miller thing was pretty much concocted on the 2 local message boards and never really had any legs.

FA isn't over with yet. If the Bills grab Clabo and a ILB like Burnett, would that satisfy you?

Those things are not mutually exclusive. The Bills are doing just that. They are offering Clabo 1-2 million more a year than the Falcons are. I would love Zach Miller, too, but we are not going to sign Clabo to a huge contract and sign Miller to a huge contract. Miller is going to make a mint.

I agree we won't do it, but we need to do it. That's why we are the Bills. This year in particular, it actually could be done, but teams like the Bills won't do it. The Pats and Jets do things like that.

I get it. And it sucks. We have the money and space to sign two guys like Clabo and Miller, and overpay both if need be. We just won't pull the trigger and do it. Instead we keep getting these tweeners in spots of non need.

If you don't take a chance and go for it, you'll never be great. This franchise, in the shape it's in, needs a "splash". For reasons all around from on field performance to marketing and ticket sales. If there was ever a time to splash, there is no other team that would need it worse than irrelevant Buffalo at this time.

Edited by Lv-Bills

Yippee..This signing will keep us even with what the Jets, Dolphins and Patriots have done. What a joke.

Really? We spend 4 million here? To fill what need?

Money poorly spent. Unless Evans is packing as we speak.

Edited by K-No

If you don't take a chance and go for it, you'll never be great. This franchise, in the shape it's in, needs a "splash". For reasons all around from on field performance to marketing and ticket sales. If there was ever a time to splash, there is no other team that would need it worse than irrelevant Buffalo at this time.

And here I thought Tom Donahoe had left town. My mistake...

Gailey's offense doesn't rely heavily on the TE. The whole Miller thing was pretty much concocted on the 2 local message boards and never really had any legs.

FA isn't over with yet. If the Bills grab Clabo and a ILB like Burnett, would that satisfy you?

What offense doesn't need a good TE? Most offenses don't have a good TE, that's why they don't use them. Didn't someone point out earlier today that Tony G had like 93 catches for over 1,000 yards and multiple TD's when Gailey was in KC? If that's true, which it probably is when he had Thigpen there, do you kinda see how Gailey does indeed like TE's and knows how to use them?

Of course, I didn't verify those stats though, so I don't know if it's true.

Edited by Lv-Bills

I agree we won't do it, but we need to do it. That's why we are the Bills. This year in particular, it actually could be done, but teams like the Bills won't do it. The Pats and Jets do things like that.

I get it. And it sucks. We have the money and space to sign two guys like Clabo and Miller, and overpay both if need be. We just won't pull the trigger and do it. Instead we keep getting these tweeners in spots of non need.

If you don't take a chance and go for it, you'll never be great. This franchise, in the shape it's in, needs a "splash". For reasons all around from on field performance to marketing and ticket sales. If there was ever a time to splash, there is no other that would need it worse than irrelevant Buffalo at this time.

I don't think any team is signing two $50 million dollar contracts, especially for a RT and a TE. Zach Miller is not going to come play for the Bills, under almost any circumstances. He's a West Coast guy..I'd love to have him, but he is one of the least likely guys to come here. The Pats do not sign two players in a year to the biggest contract of that position in the league. They can afford not to, but they don't.

And here I thought Tom Donahoe had left town. My mistake...

Yeah, all except for Clabo and Miller aren't 30 plus year old year old immobile QB's and LB's etc that are being let go off of their rosters like Bledsoe, Robinson, etc.

What could I be thinking.

But hey, the one legit younger guy, entering his prime that they did target, and an actual big splash guy, Takeo Spikes was pretty good right?

Yeah, kinda thought so.

What offense doesn't need a good TE? Most offenses don't have a good TE, that's why they don't use them. Didn't someone point out earlier today that Tony G had like 93 catches for over 1,000 yards and multiple TD's when Gailey was in KC? If that's true, which it probably is when he had Thigpen there, do you kinda see how Gailey does indeed like TE's and knows how to use them?

Of course, I didn't verify those stats though, so I don't know if it's true.

Sure a good TE would help, not arguing that. Tony G caught 90 passes for 1,000 yards pretty much every year for his entire career and is a HOF TE. Zach Miller is not Tony G.

I don't think any team is signing two $50 million dollar contracts, especially for a RT and a TE. Zach Miller is not going to come play for the Bills, under almost any circumstances. He's a West Coast guy..I'd love to have him, but he is one of the least likely guys to come here. The Pats do not sign two players in a year to the biggest contract of that position in the league. They can afford not to, but they don't.

That's because they've probably already got two guys making that much money. I know Brady is one. We don't. Big difference. And the cap hit per year for most other teams would not include all the bonus money being paid in year one. That's ole Ralphie's nice little way to take out any kind of creativity out of the picture, to do anything like that.

But what would it take to get Clabo and Miller? A 16-18 million dollar cap hit per year on a team that has zero superstars. That would be doable for a lot of teams. Hell, alot of that is tied up in Smith and Kelsay alone right? THAT'S my problem with Smith-esque signings.

Sure a good TE would help, not arguing that. Tony G caught 90 passes for 1,000 yards pretty much every year for his entire career and is a HOF TE. Zach Miller is not Tony G.

No, but he's good, and capable of very good numbers. If he's on your team, believe me, he'll get used.

Edited by Lv-Bills

Love this deal, really gives our offense another great dynamic.

Now, bring me a new starting offensive tackle, a starting inside linebacker and Matt Spaeth.

LOVE this signing. Brad Smith immediately improves our return game and quick strike playmaking ability to our offense. The Bills can do some cool stuff with personnel packages/mismatches as well. Fits in totally with Gailey's philosophy. Not only does this signing improve our special teams and offense, this is a HUGE loss to the Jets anemic offense. Smith was a game and momentum changer for that team. He was SO important to the Jets especially because the Jets defense kept them in the game so long.

Could care less what they payed for him. I don't sign his paycheck.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

At least if he's on the Bills he can't keep killing us!

Good article from Pro Football NYC (ok, not exactly a mainstream media outlet, but still):

http://www.profootba...thout-brad.html

Gotta like "Those who shrug off Smith's imminent exit are only making themselves feel better when they say that Smith's departure will be "no big loss." It will be a tremendous loss. Smith changes momentum. Makes enormous game changing and even season changing plays. When least expected."

Agree with the quote, dude is $, I like this move! :thumbsup:

LOVE this signing. Brad Smith immediately improves our return game and quick strike playmaking ability to our offense. The Bills can do some cool stuff with personnel packages/mismatches as well. Fits in totally with Gailey's philosophy. Not only does this signing improve our special teams and offense, this is a HUGE loss to the Jets anemic offense. Smith was a game and momentum changer for that team. He was SO important to the Jets especially because the Jets defense kept them in the game so long.

Could care less what they payed for him. I don't sign his paycheck.

Didn't that guy kill us on ST's a few times?

Yes,

This would address two big needs. OL will be solid for the next 3-4 years. And the D should be improved from last years squad when you add Burnett and Dareus. Add in Shepperd from the draft. And second year guys improving. The front 7 on D and the Oline is pretty set. This team would be starting to come together.