Brad Smith...Update...signs with Buffalo

if it was an either/or situation between Brad Smith and an OL, I would agree. a 4yr/$15M contract is not massive considering our available cap space. We can still sign Clabo and Burnett. Never underestimate the impact of having multiple impact players. If Smith displaces a perennial underachiever like Parrish, I am okay with that idea. Again, acquiring Smith does not negate the possibility of getting OL or LB help.

As an example, just imagine Smith and Spiller on the field in a wildcat formation. What does an opposing D do ?

4 million a year is a ton of money for someone who might touch the ball 8 times......MAYBE.

The old age at OBD has finally cost us! Whaley was locked out of his office and didn't have a key, so he began to shout, "we need a locksmith, a locksmith", and Buddy thought he said Brad Smith. So he signed him.<_<

Clown on me all you like, but I would feel better if I heard that this was the story of how it all went down, because there is no logical explanation for signing B. Smith. NONE!!! PERIOD!!!! That money can be better utilized elsewhere and I love the receivers and returners we already have, and so should they.

Thank You.

Some have worked out, but most have turned to complete dogsh--...mostly because the Bills have sucked and tend to bring good players down with them. Clabo is not much different than Dockery, Burnett and Barnett are like Fletcher, swap Jenkins for Stroud. Spikes, Mitchell... Some of these guys panned out better than others, but they were all in demand during free agency.

Clabo isn't much different than Dockery? Are you kidding me? Really? I stopped there.

OK OK, I came back....lol....the only big time FA you've listed was Spikes. And he was fantastic here. He performed as advertised, then got hurt. The other guys were names, but not top tier guys. Clabo is a top tier guy at a postion of SEVERE need that could solve our problems. And we have a ton on money we must spend. What's the problem. When you suck like Buffalo, you have to overpay to get Clabo. Do it.

Edited by Lv-Bills

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clabo isn't much different than Dockery? Are you kidding me? Really?

Yes, when you don't look at it in hindsight. It's just as likely that 4-5 years from now we'll still be here crying about what a waste that Clabo signing was and complaining that we never sign any good FAs.

Yes, when you don't look at it in hindsight. It's just as likely that 4-5 years from now we'll still be here crying about what a waste that Clabo signing was and complaining that we never sign any good FAs.

...but not every free agent RT sucks...? Clabo has been a superb starting RT on a very good team for four years. If we sign him, we will not regret it.

Clabo is a proven pro bowler. There is no comparison.

He is a nice addition. He makes the team better. Gailey has something in mind for him. They are working on getting lineman and linebackers too. Quit bitching.

I agree. Smith really caught my eye last year. He was dangerous whenever he was on the field.

I'm also quite puzzled by this signing. What does Smith do at WR that Parrish doesn't? With Evans, Johnson, Parrish, and maybe Easley, how much time will Smith see at WR? And I'm guessing he's now the full-time KR/PR, but meh. We already had some pretty good return men on the roster, and the new rules limit the impact of good KO returners anyway. And as for the "he'll fill the 3rd QB position" guys, I'm sorry, but what? You can't think that's the primary reason we signed him, right? We're talking what, 5 plays a game with Brad Smith at QB? Maybe? You don't give a guy a 4-year, $15mil deal for 5 gadget plays a game. There has to be some broader plan. It'll be interesting to see what Gailey says about utilizing him when they hold the press conference. I'll hazard to guess that Gailey is planning on rolling 4 or 5 wide as much as he can next year.

I guess it's always good to get a good player, but it's hard for me to get excited about another speedy skill position guy when we already have plenty on the roster. I don't think adding another one to the mix will make any impact, but hopefully I'm wrong. But excited about Smith or not, I think we can all agree that for the offense to really get better, we need better O-line and QB play.

Brad Smith and Roscoe are completely different players and play completely different positions, excluding a few plays a game that Smith may play in the slot.

Smith is a KR, Roscoe is a PR.

Smith is a gunner on ST and sometimes rushes the kicker, Roscoe doesn't play on those ST.

Smith is a back-up QB, Roscoe is not.

Smith runs out of the Wildcat as the primary ballcarrier, option QB and passer, Roscoe does not.

Smith will line up sometimes as RB, Roscoe does not.

Gailey will devise packages for Smith to play a Slash style QB, Roscoe will not.

Roscoe is also in the last year of his contract and may be leaving next year.

Smith will be on the field 20-25 plays a game, counting ST. He can be a very valuable guy and I'm positive that Chan Gailey is thrilled to have him.

It in no way changes our need to get better on the OL though, or fill our biggest need, which is ILB.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

it seems smith is about 5 inches taller, and what, 40? 50? lbs heavier for starters.

How's this for useful information.......

Regular season return stats..............according to ESPN.com.......................

Return TD's for Smith - 3

Parrish - 3

Seems pretty close to me. SHould I add McGee's or McKelvin's return stats?

How's this for useful information.......

Regular season return stats..............according to ESPN.com.......................

Return TD's for Smith - 3

Parrish - 3

Seems pretty close to me. SHould I add McGee's or McKelvin's return stats?

ah you are right, smith has as many kr tds as parrish has pr tds. that does answer the question. they are clearly in the mold of the same player at WR.

I don't not like Brad Smith. He's just not needed, at this time, on this team.

Mark it down. Lv-Bills is smarter than Chan Gaily, who obviously wanted a player like this.

Brad Smith helps on special teams, not just as a returner, but in other ways as well.

Brad Smith now makes our QB3 spot actually worthwhile.

Brad Smith ensures we can pass out of the Wildcat formation, which Chan has said is the only way it really works.

Brad Smith, if he returns punts/kick-offs, lets Spiller concentrate on, I don't know, RB duties like blocking on 3rd downs.

Brad Smith gives us scheme versatility.

Brad Smith also makes more money than Lv-Bills.

Really? I must be missing all the GOOD free agent splashes we've hit on over the years.

Takeo Spikes for one. There are others, of course.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

He is an exciting player no doubt, but with all the other holes, does this make sense. We already have Spiller and Parrish.

IMO, the only way it doesn't make sense is if this is the last FA signing the team makes. If Buddy stops here and our FA signings were Tyler Thigpen and Brad Smith, it's been a disappointing offseason.

it seems smith is about 5 inches taller, and what, 40? 50? lbs heavier for starters.

And he has shown results compared to Parrish who had potential but delivered in very small batches. I prefer Smith over Parrish, with no ifs, ands or buts.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I'm guessing we'll be the firs team in NFL history to use 7 WR packages? Just putting 3 offensive lineman and QB. Lining Steve Johnson, Lee Evans, Marcus Easley, Roscoe Parrish, Brad Smith, CJ Spiller, David Nelson out wide.

Sounds good to me.