Round 7 (Pick 245): DT Michael Jasper - Bethel (TN)

I swear, every time I see that picture it looks like the front of his jersey says "EATS"! I think yup, no joke.

What's crazy is that is an average size college RB he is lead blocking for , not a midget.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt ... The Bills took him at what was nearly the bottom of the 7th round. If the guy Becomes even a good role player for the Bills they will look like geniuses. If he gets cut, so what?

Yeah who cares. 7th rounders never make teams. Just piss them away.

They could do away with the 2-man wedge, and put all 10 blockers in the wedge. We'd send Jasper. In another venue, this is known as "bowling". :ph34r:

The Peters reference is perfect. Even if he has no 3-down techniques, they can coach him for goal-line and blocking kicks while he learns to play a real position. Screw this John Wendling hop over the line like the Easter Bunny. Let Jasper bust a gap with strength, or just mash that line a couple yards backwards, and then jump for the block with that absurd vertical. He's bound to get one of those hams in the way just on law of averages.

If he does nothing else as a rookie, would two blocked kicks be worth a roster spot? I say yes. Those are huge, game-changing plays and not everyone can make them. After we lucked out on waiving Peters to the PS and bringing him back and turning him into an impact 'teamer and then a (questionable) Pro-Bowler at tackle, I don't think the NFL as a whole will let us get away with it again.

As far as nicknames go I've heard "Eclipse", "Jasper The Giant", "Mount Jasper", etc... but I kinda like "Shrek" :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

He's nothing like Peters. Article says he did great on his Wonderlic. Didn't Peters have the lowest score ever?

Peters got something like a 4. I was talking physical skills... Jasper and Peters are both 4+ standard-deviation athlete. What I heard and read seems to indicate Jasper a pretty smart guy, with a much better attitude. I think if he does what the coaches tell him, he'll be fine. Can't wait to see it, hopefully this year.

Peters got a 9. Not the worst, but close to it.

And whoever suggested the Bills play Jasper on ST's while he learns the DT/NT position (forget about PS'ing him, he'll be signed immediately), was right-on.

The only reason why we knew of him was we supposedly got a tip from Levi Brown but when we did interact (over a year ago) with him the guy did everything that we asked him to do.

Where did you see that info about Levi Brown?

I apologize, I read it off the message board from another poster and I shouldn't have ever done that because I just listened to a radio interview with Buddy Nix and he said that our scout Matt Hand discovered him in his territory. Hand told jasper that he would speak on his behalf if he were to get under 400 lbs, which Jasper did. Again, I apologize for being lazy and I'll never do that again.

Yeah who cares. 7th rounders never make teams. Just piss them away.

Okay. Which one of these guys did you have your heart set on?

Jay Finley RB Baylor Big 12

7^ 247 Denver Broncos Jeremy Beal LB Oklahoma Big 12

7^ 248 Cleveland Browns Eric Hagg CB Nebraska Big 12

7^ 249 Arizona Cardinals DeMarco Sampson WR San Diego State MWC

7^ 250 San Francisco 49ers Curtis Holcomb CB Florida A&M MEAC

7^ 251 Tennessee Titans Tommie Campbell CB California (PA) PSAC

7^ 252 Dallas Cowboys Bill Nagy C Wisconsin Big Ten

7^ 253 Washington Redskins Chris Neild DT West Virginia Big East

7^ 254 Houston Texans Cheta Ozougwu

Oddly enough, I'm most excited about this pick above all others. :D

If he works out, he could be a monster. We need a big dominant NT. I love Kyle Williams, but I think he's a DT (4-3) or DE (3-4) but not a NT, if that makes sense.

I apologize, I read it off the message board from another poster and I shouldn't have ever done that because I just listened to a radio interview with Buddy Nix and he said that our scout Matt Hand discovered him in his territory. Hand told jasper that he would speak on his behalf if he were to get under 400 lbs, which Jasper did.

Again, I apologize for being lazy and I'll never do that again.

Totally unacceptable!

Maybe this is acceptable, the OFFICIAL story.

http://www.buffalobi...93-c2872093c105

Yep…the more details come out about his discovery, the better the story gets.

I know it's a huge jump in competition but from everything I've read and seen, I think this kid has a legit chance.

If he's making good progress, I doubt they'll be able to stash him on the practice squad…it would be too easy to lose him. I think if he's making decent progress that he makes the roster.

Yep…the more details come out about his discovery, the better the story gets.

I know it's a huge jump in competition but from everything I've read and seen, I think this kid has a legit chance.

If he's making good progress, I doubt they'll be able to stash him on the practice squad…it would be too easy to lose him. I think if he's making decent progress that he makes the roster.

I agree, there's no way that this guy slips thru the PS. I would suspect that he makes the roster and they find various roles that he can perform along DT duties.

Okay. Which one of these guys did you have your heart set on?

Jay Finley RB Baylor Big 12

7^ 247 Denver Broncos Jeremy Beal LB Oklahoma Big 12

7^ 248 Cleveland Browns Eric Hagg CB Nebraska Big 12

7^ 249 Arizona Cardinals DeMarco Sampson WR San Diego State MWC

7^ 250 San Francisco 49ers Curtis Holcomb CB Florida A&M MEAC

7^ 251 Tennessee Titans Tommie Campbell CB California (PA) PSAC

7^ 252 Dallas Cowboys Bill Nagy C Wisconsin Big Ten

7^ 253 Washington Redskins Chris Neild DT West Virginia Big East

7^ 254 Houston Texans Cheta Ozougwu

I'll take anyone who had success playing football at D-I or D-II level versus a guy who all anyone can talk about is his workout, because he hasn't had any football success! Somebody just show me a draft profile where this guy was a MONSTER and dominated at the NAIA level(Is that above or below JUCO? :rolleyes: ).

:rolleyes:

I'll take anyone who had success playing football at D-I or D-II level versus a guy who all anyone can talk about is his workout, because he hasn't had any football success! Somebody just show me a draft profile where this guy was a MONSTER and dominated at the NAIA level(Is that above or below JUCO? :rolleyes: ).

I think it's fine for them to spend a seventh round pick on this guy. The list I provided were the only guys picked after Jasper that the Bills won't have a chance to sign. To B word and moan over that is ridiculous, not clever.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Promo, you missed the blurb where he transferred from UT Martin to MTSU where he redshirted then transferred to Bethel.

http://www.lesliemikejaspernfl.com/profile.htm

I love everything I've heard about this guy.

Looking at this page, I was surprised to see a resume listing 3 schools and no mention of his major. It may not matter from an NFL perspective, but I see little point to mention education history without the field in which he was educated.

Could you imagine this guy lined up next to Darius?

They could blot out the sun!

Nuclear winter!

That's exactly what I'm hoping for. They'd be in a 3-4, and the starting lineup could be Kyle Williams (LDE), Jasper (NT) and Dareus (RDE). I'd love to see other teams try to run the ball against that! :)

I recall something about a 5.6 40 time so he will at least be able to run down Tom Brady and Ryan Mallot...lol.

Correction..according to Bills pre draft work out he runs 5.38

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/NT-Jasper-brings-gigantic-intrigue/1441bfd2-c3b5-4aae-a893-c2872093c105

Paea ran a 5.15, Jets drafted Kendrick Ellis ran 5.28,Phil Taylor 5.14

For his size "The Shadow" runs like the wind.

Todays article only adds to the legend.

Correction..according to Bills pre draft work out he runs 5.38

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/NT-Jasper-brings-gigantic-intrigue/1441bfd2-c3b5-4aae-a893-c2872093c105

Paea ran a 5.15, Jets drafted Kendrick Ellis ran 5.28,Phil Taylor 5.14

For his size "The Shadow" runs like the wind.

Todays article only adds to the legend.

5.38 is the same 40 time Mallett ran!

5.38 is the same 40 time Mallett ran!

And probably faster than most of the Offensive Linemen in this league, and they have to do it backwards and in high heels!

I would love to see Brady & Sanchez as grease spots on the turf.

Now THIS made me laugh out loud on a sad day for the Hopeful fam.

Yeah, looks like he ate John McCargo for dinner and finished off Aaron Maybin for a snack. :devil:

Mike Jasper craps bigger than Aaron Maybin.

PTR

Reason #401 to like Jasper: He seems to have abandoned his twitter account since the draft started.

that in itself shows he is dedicated to football and doesn't care about getting caught up in off field shennigans or even put himself in a position where its possible to give himself a bad reputation by saying something dumb.

good for him. more athletes would do themselves good by getting rid of their twitter accounts.

I love most of what I've seen about him but it seems like a lot of posters have anointed MJ to a status that is pretty lofty for a guy were not even sure can play football.

That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing this freak at training camp.

I love most of what I've seen about him but it seems like a lot of posters have anointed MJ to a status that is pretty lofty for a guy were not even sure can play football.

That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing this freak at training camp.

I haven't been as excited about a 7th round pick since...well...ever. I just like everything about this story. If Jasper is a success, it will be a national story and the Bills will be back on the map.

I haven't been as excited about a 7th round pick since...well...ever. I just like everything about this story. If Jasper is a success, it will be a national story and the Bills will be back on the map.

Same here. I'm very excited to see how Jasper progresses with good coaching. If he ends up becoming a success then it would be cool to see a movie made of him sort of like the Blind Side with Michael Oher. He probably didn't have a rough life growing up like Oher had but still would be cool to have a movie made. Of course he has to prove himself first. Hmm... perhaps... The Big Shadow

Geez I'm really rooting for this guy.

Just as a little context, Buddy Nix had this to say about Michael Jasper to Clark Judge in that interview that's posted as another topic:

'Heck, he's got a chance, so let's give him one.' Honestly, he's more of a developmental player. If he could make that adjustment quickly and help you in the first year it would be surprising."

Just as a little context, Buddy Nix had this to say about Michael Jasper to Clark Judge in that interview that's posted as another topic:

'Heck, he's got a chance, so let's give him one.' Honestly, he's more of a developmental player. If he could make that adjustment quickly and help you in the first year it would be surprising."

I don't think anyone is claiming that Jasper will come in from day 1 and dominate. Again I see a Jason Peters type player here, and it took him a year and a half to get onto the field as an OT. ST's will probably be where he plays mostly as a rookie, likely later in the season, as a kick blocker.