People Tend To Forget Last Year's Picks

2 41 Torell Troup DT Central Florida

3 72 Alex Carrington DE Arkansas State

6 178 Arthur Moats OLB James Madison

Anybody out here remember those guys? Sure, the Bills have the #3 pick this year and there are some awesome defensive players to choose from. But Troup sure seemed to be coming into his own towards the last 4 games last year, and Carrington hasn't even scratched the surface of his potential yet. Both those kids came out of smaller colleges so they need more time to acclimate, but they are still both high draft picks just entering into their second years.

And then there's Arthur. If this kid picks up where he left off last year, Nix will end up with the absolute steal of the 2010 draft from last year's 6th round. Of course I would love to see the Bills pick Von Miller if they don't go for one of the two top QB's at 3. But who knows if Moats won't end up being even better then Miller by the time they both retire years from now??

And of course, Dave Wandstadt, former Super Bowl winning DC (over our beloved Bills ironically), has joined Chan to help the Bills rebuild. With him on board to help utilize Troup, Carrington and Moats better, choosing Newton or Gabbert at 3 (as I hope he does) becomes less of a tradgedy passing on Miller or one of the other great defensive prospects.

If we do take Von Miller with the 3rd pick and there is a decent chance of the happening, the outside linebacker position will certainly have some nice depth. I'd still like to see us pick up an inside linebacker somewhere in the middle rounds of the draft.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love it! How bout VM, Martez Wilson, Ras-I D, and then K. Ellis??

It's entirely possible. Brandon Burton may still be there when we pick in RD3, otherwise Dowling. Right now DraftTek has Burton to Cleveland 2 picks after us, and Dowling dropping to #81 to da Raidahz.

Anybody out here remember those guys? Sure, the Bills have the #3 pick this year and there are some awesome defensive players to choose from. But Troup sure seemed to be coming into his own towards the last 4 games last year, and Carrington hasn't even scratched the surface of his potential yet. Both those kids came out of smaller colleges so they need more time to acclimate, but they are still both high draft picks just entering into their second years.

And then there's Arthur. If this kid picks up where he left off last year, Nix will end up with the absolute steal of the 2010 draft from last year's 6th round. Of course I would love to see the Bills pick Von Miller if they don't go for one of the two top QB's at 3. But who knows if Moats won't end up being even better then Miller by the time they both retire years from now??

And of course, Dave Wandstadt, former Super Bowl winning DC (over our beloved Bills ironically), has joined Chan to help the Bills rebuild. With him on board to help utilize Troup, Carrington and Moats better, choosing Newton or Gabbert at 3 (as I hope he does) becomes less of a tradgedy passing on Miller or one of the other great defensive prospects.

I actually think these 3 guys could become at least good starters if not better. I don't think our D is in bad of shape going into next season as it looked last season.

If Merriman can be at least 80% of the player he was and stay healthy (two big question marks though), then he will make a pretty big impact on this team. The 3 guys you have listed here all have a year under their belt now and showed promise last year, so if they can continue to develop then those 3 and Merriman could really get this D back on track.

That is a huge point that people have been missing. These guys that we drafted last year weren't good enough to win starting positions on the worst rush defense in the entire NFL. We were 28th worst over all? I have hope for the new guys we got last year but lets keep it real. If they were that good they would have already been starters.

WTF I don't get it.. :wallbash:

Kyle Williams started at NT.. not Troup.. Williams is our best defender.. Is Troup supposed to out perform him immediately as a rookie? He seemed to do pretty well when they played 4-3.

Stroud was playing DE and paid big bucks so they are just going to give the job to the rookie Carrington? Come on! They didn't start paying Carrington until near the end of the season to see if he would improve the production so the guy didn't even get much playing time. You didn't see much from him because he wasn't in the game.

Moats wasn't utilized until near the end of the season either. He was purely a pass rusher in college. He is going to take a little time to develop. When they turned him loose on blitzes he was very disruptive and showed lots of promise.

Coaches just don't plunk in rookies over highly paid seasoned vets overnight especially when this whole roster was 100% new to them. I think you guys are the ones missing the point and aren't very realistic.

My honest assessment is as follows:

Troup barely played until the second half of the season. Our run defense didnt improve any when he was in. When he was in, he had troule holding his ground agaisnt 1 blocker let alone two, and he didnt get down the LOS at all. I didnt see him lined up as a 3-4 NG much at all, because out D barely came out in a 3-4 when he finally was getting reps. On last seasons performance I see no reason to think why he will develop into a starting caliber 34 NG, other than he is young and everyone has a chance. I am not passing on a great DL prospect because we drafted Troup last year.

Carrington played very very little. He was inactive during games, when John McCargo was active. Exo Facto the Bills thought Carrington was worse than McCargo. it took Dwan Edwards getting injured to get Carrington his first live action. He came in v Pittsburg and instantly showed he was pretty darn good. I think he had a sack on his 2nd or third play, and a QB hit the play right before or after. The following week the Bills barely played him. this continued for the rest of the season. I cannot figure out why he wasnt starting after that Pitt game, maybe he wasnt playing within his role? Who knows. Carrington looks like the next Jim Leonard/J. Greer/Fred Jackson in that he plays great when he is in but the bills staff doesnt play him for some reason and when they finally get a chance they are darn good. I have some hope for Carrington, but I would not pass on DL prospects because of him. We need depth if Carrington can one day be a starter

Moats was very good. I really like his play. he was strong v the run setting the run and forcing plays inside. He generated a good pass rush when he had his chances. I think he could be our Lamarr Woodly. I expect him to be the best pick of his class. I guess what I am saying is a fully expect him to "develop".

Even assuming all these guys pan out, that gives us 1 good LB and 3 good Dlineman (including KW). That means we still need D lineman and LBs. Please draft a lot of them (good ones, and not VMiller)

Which nose guards are you not going to pass on? There are maybe 2 or 3 that are worth drafting. If Taylor is there in the 2nd, I'd take him. I doubt he's there. If Powe I'd there on the 3rd I'd consider him, if not, Id definitely take him in the 4th. Other than that, I'm not sure there's an NG that can be better than Troupe. So we're talking about 2 players. DE will be looked at, there's a bunch of good prospects.

On the verrge. ON the verge of what. Seriously. There's a reason they won 5 games last year, they're not good. The front 7

was horrible. If they can start to stop the run they MAY be on the verge of going 7-9, but come on. Nobody the Bills draft contribute immediately, they just don't, and this year will likely be more of the same.

Stop giving up 170 yards a game on the ground and then talk to me about being on the verge of anything.

4 games

Taking dareus/fairley/jordan etc in rd 1 and following that up with a true NT is the best way to fix this defense. All of the LBs will look better if they had people eating up the lineman in front of them. As much as our d backfield pass defense ranking is skewed because no one has to pass our LBs are a little maligned because there is no beef in front of them. If we do go VOn we have to take an NT in rd 2 and put off QB for another year.

Drafting the same positions every year is the surest way to make NO PROGRESS EVER.

In your scenario, we will have our best defensive player (Kyle Williams) plus three of our four major acquisitions last season (the top FA add last year, Dwan Edwards, plus our #2 and #3 draft picks - Troupe and Carrington) fighting over only THREE SPOTS on the roster with our top two picks this year.

That's right YOUR PLAN is for SIX PLAYERS - two top veterans and four draft picks in from rounds 1-3 that need to be starters FOR ONLY 3 SPOTS. Meanwhile no upgrade at LB, DB, TE, ORT... ??? awesome.

Our DL was not the problem last year. Our LB's sucked out loud. We had guys like Kelsay and Maybin, and an injured Torbor at OLB, and couldn't contain the outside run. Maybe you wanted Wanny to run a 6-1 defense???

One dominant 3-4 DE - say Dareus - would be OK - but if you add him, Williams is now a full time DT, which means Troup is there in reserve, so where the heck is your "true NT" supposed to help??

Fortunately, Nix has already made it clear he doesn't agree with you, and has come out clearly saying months ago that the problem with the run defense was not the DL but was that the LB weren't good enough/too small.

Edited by BobChalmers

Agree with this post 100%. It is kind of weird hearing people talk about the promise and the potential of Troup and Carrington, when I didn't see anything remotely special out of either of them. I watched every game last year, and yes, I may have been inebriated in one or seven of those games, but I still don't recall seeing them do anything.

I also agree. There are too many fans on this board who want to believe that Buddy knows what he is doing. These guys have shown nothing. They are no better than all the street free agents we signed last year. We had poor draft last year and I suspect we will do the same this year. No team had less starts from its draft than us, and this was on a terrible team.

Gabbert :thumbsup: Newton :thumbdown:

"People tend to forget last year's picks" for a reason. We were 4-12. For Troup and Carrington I think that it will come down to physical matutity. These are power position guys that have only begun to develop physically. Power lifters don't hit their prime until their 30's barring injuries. Most of my favorite DTs of all time took 3 or 4 years before they began to show what they could do. How good was Kyle Williams as a rookie? Now look at him. As for Moats, this coming season, if it's a full one, will probably tell us what his true upside actually is.

I dont think you can group Carrington and Troupe in with Moats. Moats made plays and had some significant contributions. Carrington certainly looks the part with this size and frame, and Troupe is built like a DT with that lower body weight, but those two didn't impress very much in their rookie seasons. Not worried about them yet, just didn't see the explosiveness of an NFL playmaker yet like Moats showed us.

As far as this year, I think the Bills Best Player board looks like this 1.Dareus 2.Miller 3.Gabbert If we get 1 or 2 then we take Ponder in the 2nd round. No Cam Newton, No Fairley or Bowers for us in B Lo.

Cant wait for draft day. Im glad they do it in prime time Thursday AND Friday evenings. NFL getting smart. For once.

Edited by Webster Guy

all i can say is what a great post....good stuff here....also positive not negative...

I dont think you can group Carrington and Troupe in with Moats. Moats made plays and had some significant contributions. Carrington certainly looks the part with this size and frame, and Troupe is built like a DT with that lower body weight, but those two didn't impress very much in their rookie seasons. Not worried about them yet, just didn't see the explosiveness of an NFL playmaker yet like Moats showed us.

As far as this year, I think the Bills Best Player board looks like this 1.Dareus 2.Miller 3.Gabbert If we get 1 or 2 then we take Ponder in the 2nd round. No Cam Newton, No Fairley or Bowers for us in B Lo.

Cant wait for draft day. Im glad they do it in prime time Thursday AND Friday evenings. NFL getting smart. For once.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!! to Ponder, losers in college don't turn out to be winners in the NFL, two words: "Trent Edwards" :wallbash:

But back to the point of the thread, essentially the Bills already have two solid picks in Easley and Batton. Both will play, and both will contribute.

Buddy was there for the pick

he blessed it, they picked him

too convenient to scapegoat Jauron for all of the failed picks and give a free pass to the talent evaluators

Fair enough that Nix was scouting that year. But the next rounds yielded Wood, Byrd and Levitre. All solid starters. Judge the draft in its entirety. I think picking a DE was the right thing to do that year but Maybin looks to be a poor choice. But the others kind of make up for it. Any time a draft delivers 3-4 solids starters, the FO has done well.

BTW, I have no evidence about who influenced the 2009 draft, but is it a coincidence that the first two drafts that Nix was involved with yielded primarily line players in the first 3-4 rounds ?

There is nothing in last year's draft to suggest any of these guys will be full time starters never mind difference makers. Any of them may simple be role players their whole careers. If anything last year's draft is reason to draft defensive side of ball ie see last year's result.

Fair enough that Nix was scouting that year. But the next rounds yielded Wood, Byrd and Levitre. All solid starters. Judge the draft in its entirety. I think picking a DE was the right thing to do that year but Maybin looks to be a poor choice. But the others kind of make up for it. Any time a draft delivers 3-4 solids starters, the FO has done well.

BTW, I have no evidence about who influenced the 2009 draft, but is it a coincidence that the first two drafts that Nix was involved with yielded primarily line players in the first 3-4 rounds ?

starters on a team with no talent is no glowing endorsement

Marv found a bunch of players to start from his first draft and most of them were out of football 3 years later.

where are the starters from last year's draft on a team dead last in defense?

picking interior linemen with premium picks is like shooting fish in a barrel. Notice there were no OTs taken with those picks. To justify spending such high picks on Gs, they should in the Pro Bowl.

what else does a talent evaluator do than rate the ability of a player to play at the NFL level - how is there any possible justification to support the Maybin pick

The Bills need impact playmakers - not marginal starters on a team devoid of talent

starters on a team with no talent is no glowing endorsement

Marv found a bunch of players to start from his first draft and most of them were out of football 3 years later.

where are the starters from last year's draft on a team dead last in defense?

picking interior linemen with premium picks is like shooting fish in a barrel. Notice there were no OTs taken with those picks. To justify spending such high picks on Gs, they should in the Pro Bowl.

what else does a talent evaluator do than rate the ability of a player to play at the NFL level - how is there any possible justification to support the Maybin pick

The Bills need impact playmakers - not marginal starters on a team devoid of talent

If you want to ignore the positive impact Wood and Levitre have had on the OL or Byrd's interceptions in his rookie season, by all means go ahead. If you want to have no patience and start slamming Troup, Carrington, Moats or Batten before they have played their second season, knock yourself out.

Yes the team was terribly devoid of talent. Which is why these individual picks by themselves are not yet translating to wins. Let this draft and FA (whenever it happens) go by and judge the regime on the team's progress this season. Wood should have fully recovered from his injury, last years picks will be in their second year when their talent should show positive impact. Add a couple of players from this year and we should do well.

Not all positions are equal in terms of value. Guards and safeties are, for the most part, easier to find than OT's and pass rushers. And for as good as it seems Levitre and Wood appear to be, they were 2 of the highest drafted interior OLineman in the 2009 draft.

The Bills will get credit for a solid draft when they begin filling the marquee positions of QB, OT, and pass rusher, 43DE or 34OLB, with outstanding players. In the past 11 drafts they haven't found one guy who could play any of those 3 positions. Fine guard and safety play does not make up for it, especially when those guys are found with high picks.

Draft value isn't something the Bills have mastered, let alone finding talent high and low.

Not all positions are equal in terms of value. Guards and safeties are, for the most part, easier to find than OT's and pass rushers. And for as good as it seems Levitre and Wood appear to be, they were 2 of the highest drafted interior OLineman in the 2009 draft.

The Bills will get credit for a solid draft when they begin filling the marquee positions of QB, OT, and pass rusher, 43DE or 34OLB, with outstanding players. In the past 11 drafts they haven't found one guy who could play any of those 3 positions. Fine guard and safety play does not make up for it, especially when those guys are found with high picks.

Draft value isn't something the Bills have mastered, let alone finding talent high and low.

For a change, I agree with you :)

You have to make the picks when good players are available at your spot. It will take time and besides the Maybin and perhaps Spiller picks, I think we are on the right track.

Troup was just fine for a rookie NT.

Easley hopefully will recover and push for the 5th WR spot or impress enough that Roscoe could be moved in a trade late in pre-season.

Carrington did very little but they needed to see if Stroud could move to DE.

Moats may be a one year well really one quarter season wonder. Hopefully not.

Again I say trade down and take Cam Jordan and cut Kelsay in the same 15 min.

Well, maybe im crazy, but right now, im on board to draft maybe the best player in the draft or actually the best prospect in the entire draft PATRICK PETERSON in the first round........

Miller could be the next lawrence taylor, but can be the next aaron maybin, that scares me........ And behind of this, we have moats and merriman....

In the QB´s well i will be on board with the selection of cam newton, but not with gabbert.......

On the defensive line we have carrington with the 3rd round and troup with the 2nd round, that were in the first year and show signs of solid starters......

On the back of the defense, we have mckelvin, he is not the best corner or the worst corner on the league, so....... We have Mcgee an injury prone corner, florence will be gone on free agency......

So my draft will be......

1 round....... Patrick Peterson CB, maybe a hall of famer.. starter since day one

2 round....... Martez Wilson ILB, maybe a good ILB......... another starter since day one

3 round....... James Carpenter or Orlando Franklin T....... we need another starter at tackle and we probably found one either of this two......

4 round a..... Casey Mathews ILB, a clay brother .......... with this selection we have rotation in the ILB for 3-4 defense........

4 round b..... Virgil Green TE, metzelaars i missed you.... Finally we have a tight end that can block, and have soft hands.........

5 round....... Cedric thorton DE, a small school project... This player can actually be a good defensive end in the nfl, but need time......

6 round....... Dom Decicco SS, solid depth................. Donte is gone in free agency, so we need depth.........

7 round a..... Scott Tolzien QB, depth..................... Well if we draft QBs in the 7 round, we can find another brady, jeje........

7 round b..... Alex Henery PK, lindell is getting old...... We need some fresh blood on special teams............

So please draft the best player available in the draft, and dont draft for need........ PLEASE...........

Troup and Carrington did next to nothing last year(especially Carrington). Other than the fact they were drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds respectively, there were not many signs indicating that they will be future starters. They are just as likely to be busts. Only time will tell.

PS And this was on a defense that was HORRIBLE last year.

exactly...

I don't get all the optimism about players drafted last year that should have stepped in and become starters already, not one player from last year is starting.... and on one of the worst defenses in Buffalo Bills history! Oh, Spiller was named starter, for about 3 plays...

This years draft should be all Buddy Nix, lets hope he actually took the time to grade the players himself instead of relying on Tom Modrak, he should now be fully aware of how inept Modrak is after the Cornell Green debacle.

Buddy Nix muttering to himself about TM....how does this man still have a job here?

Edited by Harvey lives

Most people don't TEND to forget last year's picks, they TRY to forget last years picks. The only pick that really did anything was Moats, and that wasn't until the last 4 or 5 games. The first round pick was criticized by everyone as a luxury pick on a bad team, which should never happen-and it turned out to be a terrible pick. Troup really did nothing, as did any of the other picks. Buddy blew his first draft in Buffalo, let's hope he doesn't blow his second, or the so called genius might be gone as quick as he came here, just like Donohue and some of the other failures Ralphy has hired.

Most people don't TEND to forget last year's picks, they TRY to forget last years picks. The only pick that really did anything was Moats, and that wasn't until the last 4 or 5 games. The first round pick was criticized by everyone as a luxury pick on a bad team, which should never happen-and it turned out to be a terrible pick. Troup really did nothing, as did any of the other picks. Buddy blew his first draft in Buffalo, let's hope he doesn't blow his second, or the so called genius might be gone as quick as he came here, just like Donohue and some of the other failures Ralphy has hired.

After one year on a bad team, you are writing off the first draft....geez. Talk about wanting instant results.

After one year on a bad team, you are writing off the first draft....geez. Talk about wanting instant results.

It will take you some research to find another team that didn't at least have one rookie from their draft class last season make at least some sort of impact. The Bills got more impact from non-drafted rookies than from their draft picks. You are right, the Bills were a Bad Team and will continue to be a bad team with drafts like the 2010 draft. Are you going to fix all the problems on the Bills in one year, not a chance, but if you strike out on the entire draft, no progress is ever going to be made. If you can't get one or two starters out of 7 picks, then the draft would be considered a failure in anyone's book.

Edited by billsfreak

On the verrge. ON the verge of what. Seriously. There's a reason they won 5 games last year, they're not good. The front 7

was horrible. If they can start to stop the run they MAY be on the verge of going 7-9, but come on. Nobody the Bills draft contribute immediately, they just don't, and this year will likely be more of the same.

Stop giving up 170 yards a game on the ground and then talk to me about being on the verge of anything.

And in your mind, were the 3-13 Buccs of 2009 (picking 3rd overall) on the verge of 10-6 in 2010?

All players need time to develop, our picks this year won't make us a instant playoff team.

The way I see it we need a QB if were gonna compete, aside from Flutie who played well when he was in Buffalo, our QB's have stunk since Kelly retired.

We need 2 DT as we cut Stroud and haven't resigned McCargo(thank God) and our rush defense was the easiest to run on in the NFL.

We need a RT and frankly we lack so much depth there perhaps we should pick two of them just to be safe.

Our pass rush was just as bad as we basically had almost none. Maybin is gonna get his final chance as is Merriman in camp and if they cant cut it then CYA !

Kelsey our favorite whipping boy, he must have pictures of Ralph Wilson doing something awful because I for the life of me cant figure out why he is still on the team and got a big raise.

We need LB's inside and out and had better take 2 of them as well.

It will take you some research to find another team that didn't at least have one rookie from their draft class last season make at least some sort of impact. The Bills got more impact from non-drafted rookies than from their draft picks. You are right, the Bills were a Bad Team and will continue to be a bad team with drafts like the 2010 draft. Are you going to fix all the problems on the Bills in one year, not a chance, but if you strike out on the entire draft, no progress is ever going to be made. If you can't get one or two starters out of 7 picks, then the draft would be considered a failure in anyone's book.

You will be disappointed if you are expecting 2 starts from every draft. You cant call a draft a bust after one year.

No respectable NFL personnel person would say such a thing. Spiller and Troup are not busts as of yet.

Brandon Graham, taken two pick after spiller had 13 tackles..... according to you he's a bust.

Morgan Derrick taken a few picks later only played in 4 games. Bust

I dunno i guess its pretty easy to find rookies who contributed little in their first friggin year. Troup our second pick was more productive than those first rounders above.