Sabres 2, Carolina 1

I really hope the Sabres do well but it seems as though every year they're fighting for that 7th or 8th spot.

If they could just not have a few of those 4 or 5 game losing streaks early in the season, we wouldn't have to worry about the final 2-3 games every year.

It's also great to have a reliable back-up goalie!

GO SABRES!

I know everyone will call me crazy but I'm more comfortable with Enroth than Miller. Enroth doesn't give up Softies.

Great game the Canes owned the 3rd but the PK and Enroth were outstanding and saved the game.

94 guarantees a playoff spot. 2 from Columbus. The other 2 is going to be tough.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I know everyone will call me crazy but I'm more comfortable with Enroth than Miller. Enroth doesn't give up Softies.

Great game the Canes owned the 3rd but the PK and Enroth were outstanding and saved the game.

94 guarantees a playoff spot. 2 from Columbus. The other 2 is going to be tough.

Uh, did you see the 4th goal against the Caps?

I caught the last half of the 3rd, OT. Did that OT winner get tipped or go deflected in?,

Box score says Gragnani scored it, so it was a double deflection that scored the game winner, just like last night.

I really hope the Sabres do well but it seems as though every year they're fighting for that 7th or 8th spot.

If they could just not have a few of those 4 or 5 game losing streaks early in the season, we wouldn't have to worry about the final 2-3 games every year.

GO SABRES!

It seems that way, but they did win the division last year and the only thing to worry about in the final games was playoff positioning.

I was there tonight, just got back to Charlotte. The Sabres are 2 for 2 when I'm in Raleigh. The Hurricanes played very well. Kudos to all the Sabres fans that were there. That is a loud arena and they love their Canes, but it was our night.

I just read that if we lost the game in regulation, we would of somehow been in 9th place for the playoffs. What is the first tie-breaker for teams with the same amount of points?? Is it wins / losses / head to head ??

I just read that if we lost the game in regulation, we would of somehow been in 9th place for the playoffs. What is the first tie-breaker for teams with the same amount of points?? Is it wins / losses / head to head ??

Non-shootout wins. Then head-to-head.

I was there tonight, just got back to Charlotte. The Sabres are 2 for 2 when I'm in Raleigh. The Hurricanes played very well. Kudos to all the Sabres fans that were there. That is a loud arena and they love their Canes, but it was our night.

Where the hell were you in '06?

Agreed. And you're not crazy.

GO SABRES!

Well to be accurate we haven't been a 7th or 8th seed in 10 years. We just miss the playoffs. This year we fought back from last place so just making it to 8th is an accomplishment.

PTR

Great win!

I bet all you guys wanting Enroth to start also thought Reich should start over Kelly.

You lost the bet.

:nana:

And if you read the post, its says "feel more comfortable" not start.

Two different things.

When Miller is in the net I'm much more on edge because you never know when that softies is going to get past him.

He will stop shots that should be goals but will let in shots that a 3rd string goalie would stop.

Net-Net Miller obviously is great, just tends to drive me crazy.

Edited by Why So Serious?

This is like calling a pitcher up from AAA and he has a couple good starts. HE'S our ACE !!!

No he's not- not a chance they go with Enroth. He's been great but Miller is better and will be the playoff goalie.

I thought he looked awfully shaky in the Washington game. He let in 2 garbage goals in my opinion. Still a ways away from being a full time goalie in the NHL.

No ifs, ands, or buts. Enroth could be riding a 10 game streak and Ruff will go back to Miller (as he should).

Agreed. The league will get a book on Enroth, then we'll see how he does.

For now, I don't mind it. He played a HELL of a game yesterday in what's been the biggest game for this team all year. Miller will be back for the playoffs (if they get there), but I'm enjoying this kid.

Everybody has a tough schedule for the final few games. We will finish 6th, followed my le Hab, and Carolina. Rangers wilt and do not make it. Ranger fans throw a hissy fit.

You lost the bet.

Two different things.

When Miller is in the net I'm much more on edge because you never know when that softies is going to get past him.

He will stop shots that should be goals but will let in shots that a 3rd string goalie would stop.

For us to go anywhere this year we need Miller to be red hot. We don't have the horses to win with a very good Miller, we will need a very hot Miller. With Miller injured, he gets year end rest and should be primed for a playoff run. Hopefully we stay around long enough for Derek Roy to get back and bring some added firepower.

Edited by jumbalaya

Great win!

I bet all you guys wanting Enroth to start also thought Reich should start over Kelly.

He should have started the 3rd superbowl over Kelly as he led us from the greatest comeback to the big game and Kelly wasn't ready as evidence by his multiple turnovers. Otherwise he was the clear stater and was forced out too early as he didn't get old he lost his starting Tackles (Wolford, Ballard).

Agreed. The league will get a book on Enroth, then we'll see how he does.

For now, I don't mind it. He played a HELL of a game yesterday in what's been the biggest game for this team all year. Miller will be back for the playoffs (if they get there), but I'm enjoying this kid.

Judging from Lindy's comments, I am not sure. The legue already has a book on Miller. He can be beat with long shots, seems to have trouble with high shots on the upper-glove side, and can be rattled.

I appreciate all Miller does for the Sabres, and he can be amongst the best goaltenders in the league for short stretches. I just think it is very clear, he is much better with competition (in other words not Llame)at the position, and he is also, IMO, much better when he gets more rest. This season, he has played his best hockey only recently, when Enroth became the #2 goalie. I think Lindy should go with the hot hand...

You lost the bet.

Two different things.

Miller didn't give up softie goals when Biron was behind him. Why? He knew that a softie or two would lead to his benching without a major step backwards from the team. Conklin, LaLime, and Thibault all sucked and everyone knew it. Miller could give up a softie and not begin to sweat over his job. Now that he has a guy with a shutout and multiple OT/shootout wins behind him, I am willing to bet that the "softies" will be few and far between when he comes back.

Judging from Lindy's comments, I am not sure. The legue already has a book on Miller. He can be beat with long shots, seems to have trouble with high shots on the upper-glove side, and can be rattled.

I appreciate all Miller does for the Sabres, and he can be amongst the best goaltenders in the league for short stretches. I just think it is very clear, he is much better with competition (in other words not Llame)at the position, and he is also, IMO, much better when he gets more rest. This season, he has played his best hockey only recently, when Enroth became the #2 goalie. I think Lindy should go with the hot hand...

Best post of the thread, IMO.

For those saying Lindy will go back to Miller -'as he should', that's simply not how hockey works. Would Ken Dryden have won the Conn Smythe BEFORE winning the Calder if this was the case? Every year -it seems- some teams make significant changes in goal for the playoffs with great results.

Frankly, I don't understand all the love around here -or in WNY- for Miller. At his very best, he is only 'average'. Fans of this team have watched Crozier, Barasso, Edwards, Sauve, Fuhr, Hasek. Miller doesn't rate to be mentioned with these goalies. His Vezina and League-hype is more a testament to Ruff-style than sterling play from the position. He's been 'just OK' keeping the crease warm while the team awaits it's next superstar goalie. And I think we may have found him..

The idiocy in this thread has reached epic proportions. I mean, the NHL just hands out Vezina trophies to "average" goalies all the time, right?. Most "average" goalies are considered one of the best in the game by the entire league (and world for that matter).

Hopefully, in the future, Enroth can continue to develop to a point where he can start 20 games per season, giving Miller some real rest, and thereby having a fresh Miller ready for a playoff run.

Edited by Ramius

Best post of the thread, IMO.

For those saying Lindy will go back to Miller -'as he should', that's simply not how hockey works. Would Ken Dryden have won the Conn Smythe BEFORE winning the Calder if this was the case? Every year -it seems- some teams make significant changes in goal for the playoffs with great results.

Frankly, I don't understand all the love around here -or in WNY- for Miller. At his very best, he is only 'average'. Fans of this team have watched Crozier, Barasso, Edwards, Sauve, Fuhr, Hasek. Miller doesn't rate to be mentioned with these goalies. His Vezina and League-hype is more a testament to Ruff-style than sterling play from the position. He's been 'just OK' keeping the crease warm while the team awaits it's next superstar goalie. And I think we may have found him..

Wow, now Enroth isn't getting compared to Dom, he's getting compared to Ken Dryden? :huh:

Big difference between the 2. Dryden was highly touted and the Habs wanted him sooner than they got him. Habs wanted Dryden in their system and he balked and went to Cornell. Habs had a good goalie in Vachon and a servicable backup in Myre but neither had the potential of Dryden. Vachon had missed the playoffs for the 1st time in nearly forever the previous year. Dryden came up and didn't lose a game in the RS. The guy was a monster sizewise for his era and won 6 SC's in 8 seasons.

And really, Miller doesn't belong in conversation with Crozier at the tail end of his career w/ serious stomach problems, Fuhr at the end of his career, Tommy 5 Hole in the Sabres portion of his career, Edwards, & Sauve?

I would like to see how Enroth reacts to shooters 'having a book on him' before I annoint him the Sabres' "next superstar goalie." He has very good reactions and a quick glove. I'd like to see shooters not take advantage of his size for more than a handful of games before we put his # in the rafters. Right now he looks to be a very capable backup, and if Miller isn't minimum 95%, I'd rather have him between the pipes; but that's all it is for now.

The idiocy in this thread has reached epic proportions. I mean, the NHL just hands out Vezina trophies to "average" goalies all the time, right?. Most "average" goalies are considered one of the best in the game by the entire league (and world for that matter).

Hopefully, in the future, Enroth can continue to develop to a point where he can start 20 games per season, giving Miller some real rest, and thereby having a fresh Miller ready for a playoff run.

Actually, yes they do. Vezina is awarded to the team with the lowest GA. Plain & Simple. Teams committed to low SOG will be in the hunt with just a steady goaltender. I'm not saying Miller is bad. He plays angles well. He's NOT great, by any measure, and it is Idiocy to think otherwise.