What is the obsession with taking a QB in the draft?

A lot of mock drafts by draft experts and a lot of posters here seem to think that the Bills need to pick a QB in the first 2-3 rounds. I don't get this obsession. Didn't Fitz just have a pretty good season in terrible circumstances? The guy had no ground game, inconsistent O-line play (A very bad right side of the line), no tightend to throw to, and a defense that consitantly put him in situations where he had to be one dimensional.

The team has too many holes to waste a pick on a QB especially when there isn't really a franchise QB at pick 3. Newton screams bust and Gabbert to me isn't that much better than Fitz could be.

Why is there this consistent feeling to use top 3 picks on project QB's like Mallet, Ponder, and Locker and a good amount of posters feel that Newton or Gabbert should be the pick at 3?

Are there more people who think that Fitz should be given a chance in 2011?

I agree.

Also, tell me why when your top need is a TE, for example, why would it be a "reach" to get Ruddolph top 10? You'd get slammed for it but...why? I understand there are better players then him in the draft at other positions but...still? Why?

- Fitz ranked 22nd in QB rating.

- Fitz ranked 22nd in the league in passing yards.

- Fitz ranked 27th in completion percentage.

- Fitz ranked 21st in yards per attempt.

- Fitz ranked 16h in passing yards per game.

- Fitz ranked 9th in interceptions.

In sum, Fitz was mostly a below average QB while being in the top 10 in the league in pass attempts per game. That's not having a good season. That's being easily impressed because of all the crap we've had at QB over the years.

Also, who in the hell is talking about using our 3rd overall pick on Mallett, Ponder, or Locker?

In sum, Fitz was mostly a below average QB while being in the top 10 in the league in pass attempts per game. That's not having a good season. That's being easily impressed because of all the crap we've had at QB over the years.

Based on the team he had around him the fact that he wasn't dead last in everything probably means he's probably at least dead average. You're right, it's been a long time since we've seen anything that approaches competency at QB. I think the next step is to improve the rest of the team and see what happens, not start over with a different QB.

Also, who in the hell is talking about using our 3rd overall pick on Mallett, Ponder, or Locker?

I mean a top pick in the 1st 3 rounds not the 3rd overall pick. Once again you can't keep surrounding QB's with crap as far as O-lines and other factors go and expect different results. Fitz played without a lot of help and yet he played well enough to not only win 4 games but also give the Bills a legit chance to win 4-5 other games.

I agree.

Also, tell me why when your top need is a TE, for example, why would it be a "reach" to get Ruddolph top 10? You'd get slammed for it but...why? I understand there are better players then him in the draft at other positions but...still? Why?

The Bills top need is a tight end? Who are you, Rudolph's agent? Because not a single analyst I've read, not even McShay or Kiper, has come remotely close to that assessment. I love Rudolph and would like to see him with the Bills, but he ain't the top need, not even close.

Throwing high picks at QBs, RBs, and WRs when you have no Oline is like rebuilding your engine without replacing your faulty oil pump.

fixing a faulty pump when you have a bad engine doesn't make sense either.

How about doing both.

Upgrade the QB position and upgrade the OL, DL, LB, etc.

Throwing high picks at QBs, RBs, and WRs when you have no Oline is like rebuilding your engine without replacing your faulty oil pump.

Rothlisburger won a superbowl behind a bad O line. Manning gets it done.

It's a QB driven league, you have to have a franchise QB to win in this league. If the QB is there you take him. You can get tackles in mid rounds, not the case with QB. Accurate, quick decision making takes the pressure off of the O line.

It's a QB driven league, you have to have a franchise QB to win in this league. If the QB is there you take him. You can get tackles in mid rounds, not the case with QB. Accurate, quick decision making takes the pressure off of the O line.

Let's just say I accept that premise (which I don't buy that Indy's or Pittsburg's lines are as bad as ours). Neither of those guys learned behind a garbage line. Manning didn't have a great line his rookie year, but they had the pieces in place, began to gel, and were a solid unit for the next 10 years. And Big Ben played behind one of the best lines in the league his first few seasons.

Obviously you want both, and strength in one area can make up for weakness in another, but mediocre players will produce behind a great line a lot faster than rookie "skill" players will excel behind a porous one.

Having a franchise QB is the most important thing when putting together a championship football team. Period. We haven't had one in 15 years. If the FO thinks that newton or gabbert or someone else for that matter, has what it take to become a franchise QB, we MUST draft them. I like Fitz, I don't think he'll be leading us to a SB win. Ever. Get someone who can.

I agree.

Did anyone else laugh out loud when reading this post. Your entitled to you opinion, but WOW....

Edited by NewEra

Name the last team to make the playoffs with arguably the worst defense in the NFL? Teams can win with an average QB...win the super bowl even (Yes, I know it's the exception to the rule), but teams cannot be successful with a horrible defense.

I don't agree with the OP in that I think we need to address the QB position at some point during this draft. Reason being...if Fitz goes down, our back-ups are Brohm and Brown. That is really scary to me. Drafting a "second-tier" QB in rounds 2 or 3 not only gives us some depth behind Fitz, but there is a chance that that player could be our long-term answer at QB.

Newton and Gabbert are the top QB's in this draft is either one of them a game changer? Newton is the product of hype and Gabbert isn't really a game changer. Its a QB driven league but you don't take a QB just to take a QB either.

When Manning won a Super Bowl he had a super cast his O-line was superb (Tarik Glenn and Jeff Saturday were routinely pro-bowlers) and his weapons were all world (Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Eggerrin James, Dallas Clark). We saw this season just how much Peyton Manning needs help from his O-line.

Even Big Ben has the help of a good ground game and a great defense that is a staple of his winning. Big Ben isn't forced to be one dimensional and can play more conservatively at times due to the quality of his D.

Name the last team to make the playoffs with arguably the worst defense in the NFL? Teams can win with an average QB...win the super bowl even (Yes, I know it's the exception to the rule), but teams cannot be successful with a horrible defense.

I don't agree with the OP in that I think we need to address the QB position at some point during this draft. Reason being...if Fitz goes down, our back-ups are Brohm and Brown. That is really scary to me. Drafting a "second-tier" QB in rounds 2 or 3 not only gives us some depth behind Fitz, but there is a chance that that player could be our long-term answer at QB.

Backup QB is a need but I think you can find a decent vet in free agency (which there will eventually be). The draft isn't the only way to add to the roster even though it seems like it a this point thanks to the lockout. Hell the Bills found Fitz in free agency a few years ago.

Newton and Gabbert are the top QB's in this draft is either one of them a game changer? Newton is the product of hype and Gabbert isn't really a game changer. Its a QB driven league but you don't take a QB just to take a QB either.

When Manning won a Super Bowl he had a super cast his O-line was superb (Tarik Glenn and Jeff Saturday were routinely pro-bowlers) and his weapons were all world (Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Eggerrin James, Dallas Clark). We saw this season just how much Peyton Manning needs help from his O-line.

Even Big Ben has the help of a good ground game and a great defense that is a staple of his winning. Big Ben isn't forced to be one dimensional and can play more conservatively at times due to the quality of his D.

Newton is a product of having one of the most successful season ANY player has ever had in college, won the heisman and the championship. He's the most physically gifted QB I've ever seen. Not "hype", hater.

I would've loved to see how Wayne, James, Harrison and Clark would've produced with us 200-2008. Sure they were 1st round talents, but if you don't have a QB to get em the ball, they're = Lee Evans, Eric Moulds and Willis McGahee. Think Marvin Harrison is a HoF player if he was playing in Cleveland his whole career? Compare Larry Fitzgeralds production with Derek Anderson and John skeleton to Warner. I could beat this dead horse all day with examples, I'll just say, we NEED a franchise QB, badly. I'm not saying newton or gabbert will be that guy. I'm saying if our FO thinks they are. We MUST take them.

If god forbid Fitz goes down (let us not forget how he actually plays.....he is a gutsy QB who will run and sacrifice himself for a first down...its what makes us love him and what makes you hold your breath every thime he does it)

Who starts? Because right now that answer is not on the team........

That is why a QB to groom in this draft (and not someone in the 6th friggen round) must be picked.....we need someone to groom AND we need a backup QB.

Newton is a product of having one of the most successful season ANY player has ever had in college, won the heisman and the championship. He's the most physically gifted QB I've ever seen. Not "hype", hater.

I would've loved to see how Wayne, James, Harrison and Clark would've produced with us 200-2008. Sure they were 1st round talents, but if you don't have a QB to get em the ball, they're = Lee Evans, Eric Moulds and Willis McGahee. Think Marvin Harrison is a HoF player if he was playing in Cleveland his whole career? Compare Larry Fitzgeralds production with Derek Anderson and John skeleton to Warner. I could beat this dead horse all day with examples, I'll just say, we NEED a franchise QB, badly. I'm not saying newton or gabbert will be that guy. I'm saying if our FO thinks they are. We MUST take them.

Newton has a lot of question marks that are just too glaring. The guy is very physically gifted but he screams Vince Young to me. Gabbert once again seems like a nice QB but not an elite guy. I say find a defensive difference maker with pick 3 and then help out the rest of the team with the rest of the picks.

If you put James, Harrison, Clark, and Wayne on team with a bad QB yeah they won't be that good BUT if you put them with a competent QB like lets say Chad Pennington (Throw in that good O-line that the Colts had too) you would see very good results and if you want proof look at the Seahawks in 05 when they made it to the Super Bowl they put one of the best O-lines ever and a great RB (Shaun Alexander) behind Hasselbeck a good but not elite QB and they almost won a SB.

A lot of mock drafts by draft experts and a lot of posters here seem to think that the Bills need to pick a QB in the first 2-3 rounds. I don't get this obsession. Didn't Fitz just have a pretty good season in terrible circumstances? The guy had no ground game, inconsistent O-line play (A very bad right side of the line), no tightend to throw to, and a defense that consitantly put him in situations where he had to be one dimensional.

The team has too many holes to waste a pick on a QB especially when there isn't really a franchise QB at pick 3. Newton screams bust and Gabbert to me isn't that much better than Fitz could be.

Why is there this consistent feeling to use top 3 picks on project QB's like Mallet, Ponder, and Locker and a good amount of posters feel that Newton or Gabbert should be the pick at 3?

Duh, winning.

If god forbid Fitz goes down (let us not forget how he actually plays.....he is a gutsy QB who will run and sacrifice himself for a first down...its what makes us love him and what makes you hold your breath every thime he does it)

That is why a QB to groom in this draft (and not someone in the 6th friggen round) must be picked.....we need someone to groom AND we need a backup QB.

I don't get this point of drafting a QB for depth. Fitz isn't that old and he hasn't started a lot of game in his career. But injuries happen so you need a backup BUT aren't there a lot of solid QB's you could sign in free agency.

I agree we meed a QB to groom, but virtually completely doubt that a 1st round QB choice is going to properly groomed here. This is because:

1. The CW is that a first round pick should be an immediate (or at least first year) starter for the team that picked him. Any QB we picked almost for sure should be sitting and groomed his first year, but in the continual search for a new Jimbo which is why this team often failed is gonna happen again with a highly picked QB.

From rushing TC to start before he was ready, tu the Hobert overeachto creating the RJ/DF debacle in search of a franchise QB and so on drafting a QB in the first (or in fact before our fourth pick is like;y destined for disaster.

2. I think taking a friggen 1st rounder is a bigger problem than picking a friggen 6th rounder. Neither likely works but the later pick probably does less damage to this team, I think that this is true in general but if you hava specific name let us know.

3. Those who claim we must draft a franchise QB early in the draft simply choose to ignore the fact that one can acquire a 1st round or high draft pick QB who has been a bust in his first stop and then develop into an SB winner and even HOF worthy QB in his second stop. Start at Drew Brees and work your way back to Steve Young and Brett Favre (with stops in Balt where 1st round pick Dilfer proved capable of QBing a great Ravens D because they focused on D first or two time cuttee Brad Johnson.

The key is not to take any highly regarded QB you can get but instead to build the team strategically and pick the right guy without regard to picking a QB high simply to save face.

fixing a faulty pump when you have a bad engine doesn't make sense either.

How about doing both.

Upgrade the QB position and upgrade the OL, DL, LB, etc.

You can't do all that this offseason without spending huge money in

free agency, if you can even do it then.

You CAN find good players in any round of the draft with some skill and

more luck, but obviously you count more on high picks to be your better

players that can upgrade your team.

I think this team DOES need a better QB candidate than Fitzgerald. That doesn't

mean that Fitz is currently the weakest link on this team (he isn't), but he will

likely be a limiting factor as the talent around him is upgraded. You GENERALLY

don't find good QBs after round 1 (I know, I know, Tom Brady was a 6th rnd pick

and Kurt Warner wasn't even drafted, but look at the good starting QBs in the

league and most were #1 picks - a good percentage of them high number 1s.)

Does that mean that picking a QB high in round 1 guarantees success? Of course

not, but if any team thinks that a QB has "it", he will most likely be gone in round 1.

Newton has a lot of question marks that are just too glaring. The guy is very physically gifted but he screams Vince Young to me. Gabbert once again seems like a nice QB but not an elite guy. I say find a defensive difference maker with pick 3 and then help out the rest of the team with the rest of the picks.

If you put James, Harrison, Clark, and Wayne on team with a bad QB yeah they won't be that good BUT if you put them with a competent QB like lets say Chad Pennington (Throw in that good O-line that the Colts had too) you would see very good results and if you want proof look at the Seahawks in 05 when they made it to the Super Bowl they put one of the best O-lines ever and a great RB (Shaun Alexander) behind Hasselbeck a good but not elite QB and they almost won a SB.

Name a sure fire superstar in this draft. It looks as if Dareus is the safest bet to be a good player, but not many are talking about him being a superstar. You say Newton has glaring questions abou him...who doesn't? Suh isnt in this draft. Fairley (character, strength), miller (size, strength), Quinn (never played OLB, missed a year, coverage), bowers (injury, can he play 3-4 end, #1 hs player that was ineffective til he was about to get paid), Peterson (get beat by double moves A LOT, labeled not smart, better fit at safety). They ALL have questions mang.

Nice example with Seattle, but they were good one year. There's also TB,Baltimore, NY, etc. Sure teams can win without a franchise QBs, but you have a MUCH better chance if you have one. If you're in a position to draft someone you think can be one, youre stupid to pass, imo

The point of drafting a QB now is to develop the young QB BEHIND Fitz. It's really not that hard of a concept to grasp. Fitz's contract is up after this season. You really wanna give a career back up QB, a franchise QB type money?

Chan's gained my trust that he can mentor pretty much any QB that he sees fit. If not, he doesn't beat around the bush like Jauron did. You draft a QB now, sit him for a year or 2, and then plug him into the starting lineup.

I don't get this point of drafting a QB for depth. Fitz isn't that old and he hasn't started a lot of game in his career. But injuries happen so you need a backup BUT aren't there a lot of solid QB's you could sign in free agency.

Free agency is also absolutely a way you could go.....because I actually am a big Fitz fan.....this team just has to be careful to cover itself with a back up QB who doesn't hurt the team.

I agree we meed a QB to groom, but virtually completely doubt that a 1st round QB choice is going to properly groomed here. This is because:

1. The CW is that a first round pick should be an immediate (or at least first year) starter for the team that picked him. Any QB we picked almost for sure should be sitting and groomed his first year, but in the continual search for a new Jimbo which is why this team often failed is gonna happen again with a highly picked QB.

From rushing TC to start before he was ready, tu the Hobert overeachto creating the RJ/DF debacle in search of a franchise QB and so on drafting a QB in the first (or in fact before our fourth pick is like;y destined for disaster.

2. I think taking a friggen 1st rounder is a bigger problem than picking a friggen 6th rounder. Neither likely works but the later pick probably does less damage to this team, I think that this is true in general but if you hava specific name let us know.

3. Those who claim we must draft a franchise QB early in the draft simply choose to ignore the fact that one can acquire a 1st round or high draft pick QB who has been a bust in his first stop and then develop into an SB winner and even HOF worthy QB in his second stop. Start at Drew Brees and work your way back to Steve Young and Brett Favre (with stops in Balt where 1st round pick Dilfer proved capable of QBing a great Ravens D because they focused on D first or two time cuttee Brad Johnson.

The key is not to take any highly regarded QB you can get but instead to build the team strategically and pick the right guy without regard to picking a QB high simply to save face.

I will tell you why....lets use the QB we took in the 6th round this past year.....if he was have been drafted in say.....the SECOND OR THIRD round....and I am not saying he should have been....then the team would have stuck with him as a grooming prospect a little longer rather then cutting him and bringing him back. The financial obligation a team makes towards a particular player will give them more chances to succeed.

That is why when you take a QB late....his chances of becoming your starter are so minute....and I know there is the Tom Brady thing.....but that is lightning striking.

St Louis Rams in 2000.

Backup QB is a need but I think you can find a decent vet in free agency (which there will eventually be). The draft isn't the only way to add to the roster even though it seems like it a this point thanks to the lockout. Hell the Bills found Fitz in free agency a few years ago.

Wow seriously Newton is hype? All he did was take 2 teams to championships in 2 years, win a heisman and become the face of college football last year. If thats hype what's reality? Fitz is a journeyman QB of course they found him in free agency, the bills are what his 3rd team?

St Louis Rams in 2000.

Good point...

You're sure to get blasted by some around here for actually bringing facts into this conversation...

But thanks anyway... ;)

Wow seriously Newton is hype? All he did was take 2 teams to championships in 2 years, win a heisman and become the face of college football last year. If thats hype what's reality? Fitz is a journeyman QB of course they found him in free agency, the bills are what his 3rd team?

Good point...

Newton was billed going into the draft process as a mid-late 1st round pick. Now suddenly he is the next Michael Vick and worthy of the 1st overall selection? The guy is the next Vince Young his throwing mechanics are very similar to Youngs and he doesn't have the best field vision and pocket presence either.

Fitz is a solid professional QB who played above his supporting cast. You also don't have to spend a huge draft asset to stick with him. I would rather take a player on D (Even with possible flaws) than take a QB just because QB's are what you need to win.

Newton was billed going into the draft process as a mid-late 1st round pick. Now suddenly he is the next Michael Vick and worthy of the 1st overall selection? The guy is the next Vince Young his throwing mechanics are very similar to Youngs and he doesn't have the best field vision and pocket presence either.

Fitz is a solid professional QB who played above his supporting cast. You also don't have to spend a huge draft asset to stick with him. I would rather take a player on D (Even with possible flaws) than take a QB just because QB's are what you need to win.

He IS the next Vince Young..... Thank you for enlightening us mr football guru. Now we are all as smart as you. Uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh duuuuuuhhhhhh

Based on the team he had around him the fact that he wasn't dead last in everything probably means he's probably at least dead average. You're right, it's been a long time since we've seen anything that approaches competency at QB. I think the next step is to improve the rest of the team and see what happens, not start over with a different QB.

He needs a better line and a #1 and #2 wideout and a #1 & #2 TE. Having two number 3 receivers (Steve & Lee), one number 4 (roscoe) and a pile of UFA's doesn't help.

Not one "expert" questions his mechanics and they are actually a strength. Secondly is it really suprising that a player moved where he was projected either up or down? Phillip rivers was projected to be a 3rd round pick at the end of the season and went 4th overall.

There are so many holes its going to take this year and next to fix it. So if the qb can sit for a year to learn then be ready to play when the team is competitive, isn't that a good idea?

He needs a better line and a #1 and #2 wideout and a #1 & #2 TE. Having two number 3 receivers (Steve & Lee), one number 4 (roscoe) and a pile of UFA's doesn't help.

Seriously? Did you just say SJ is a #3 WR? Really?

Classic...

Now don't get me wrong...I'm not saying Stevie is an unquestioned #1 WR...But he's MOST DEFINITELY a #2...As is Lee...Quit trying to make Fitz out to be some kind of Superman...There were Players on Offense stepping up all over the Field for him last season...Steve Johnson being first among them...Fitz was sacked less than twice per Game behind that patchwork O-Line...Those UFA WR's led by David Nelson and Donald Jones showed plenty of promise for Rookies...When was the last time the Bills had 3 (including Marques Easley) ROOKIE WR's with this much upside? NO question TE is a HUGE Need in Buffalo...But good grief...Exaggerate much? :huh:

Fitz is what he is and he'll be fine as the Starter in 2011...But IF The Bills don't do something right now to solidify the future at QB we'll be looking at another decade of futility...Assuming they don't finish bad enough to win the Luck sweepstakes of coarse...I fully expect The Bills to Draft a QB somewhere in the first 3 Rounds of the 2011 Draft and they would be VERY wise to do so...

If anyone believes Gailey and Nix when they say they know Fitz can get us to the Playoffs I've got some PRIME Real Estate for sale in Florida they should take a look at...Have we really forgotten what good Football looks like THAT much? B-)

Phillip Rivers was projected to be a 3rd round pick at the end of the season and went 4th overall.

:blink:

Who exactly was projecting Rivers to be a 3rd Round Pick? Because whoever it was I hope they are no longer covering the NFL Draft...I don't remember anything like that whatsoever... B-)

You forgot one.

- Fitz ranked 13th in TDs

- Despite being ranked ranked 9th in INTS, Fitz still threw for more TDs than INTS (23/15)

Does that make him elite? No. But IMHO, it does make him better than you claim him to be.

You're sure to get blasted by some around here for actually bringing facts into this conversation...

But thanks anyway... ;)

There's nothing wrong with looking at statistics, but pretending they paint a full picture is foolish. Fitz's stats, relative to those of Brady, Roger, Manning, etc. is hardly an apples to apples comparison.

:blink:

Who exactly was projecting Rivers to be a 3rd Round Pick? Because whoever it was I hope they are no longer covering the NFL Draft...I don't realthough member anything like that whatsoever... B-)

[/quote

Although I appreciate your use/overuse of emoticons at the end of the season yes he was projected as a 3rd rnd pick. I remember it specifically bc I thought he would be a stud and a steal and hoped by the time the draft rolled around he would be there for us @ our 1st pick. This was before the combine and rest of the pre draft process and was simply meant to illustrate that players move up and down during said process. Also that cam moving from mid first to top of first is not that big of a deal.